Games for Windows: Age of Empires III: 10 cents

EliotAndrews

CAGiversary!
Feedback
24 (100%)
Hey, all.
Games for Windows Marketplace just relaunched with a new, web-friendly system. To celebrate, they're doing "Deal of the Day's" all week.

Monday: Grand Theft Auto IV: $11.99 (40% off)
Tuesday: Borderlands: $9.99 (50% off)
Wednesday: Batman: Arkham Asylum GOTY: $11.99 (60% off)
Thursday: Red Faction: Guerrilla: $5.99 (70% off)
Friday: Saints Row 2: $5.99 (80% off)
Saturday: Bioshock: $1.99 (90% off)
Sunday: Age of Empires III: 10 cents

http://www.gamesforwindows.com/

It should be noted that, so far, Steam has offered these games for less in the past. Therefore, I'd say "wait for the Steam Holiday Sale." (A CAG phrase that has been popular for about 6 months now.)

Thursday: I admit, Red Faction: Guerrilla at this price is a bit insulting since both Steam and D2D have offered the game for $4.99 in the past.

Saturday: This is easily the most surprising of the deals. Bioshock has been $4.99 at the lowest over at Steam. So, if anyone's interested, this is the perfect time to pick the game up.

Sunday: I'd like to know which CAGer's can resist a 10-cent game. (CAG TIP: Due to the "exchange rate," using your Microsoft Points costs you more money.)

Though it's not part of this deal, I thought I'd add that Bioshock 2 is the Deal of the Week: $9.99 (50% off)

Last edited by a moderator:
Also bought this with an "extra" 10 ms points. Now i have a nicely matched 1900 points.

I find it funny that they basically stepped up the discount every day until the last and basically gave everyone a free game.

[quote name='jr8rulz']Has anyone tried installing this? i keep getting the CD key prompt...but i cant find where that would be to enter. And yes, i checked my email and spam boxes my GFW Live ID is connected to.[/QUOTE]

I'm having the same problem did you ever get a fix? I can't seem to find the portion of their website that has the information on cdkeys.

Awesome deal! I went in for a copy since I have spare points that have been languishing in my account for too long. I didn't have problems installing or running the client, and I'm installing the game right now with good results.

Not a hater, but here are a couple of whines from me, but neither are awful:

Thanks to the poster above who mentioned clicking on the game in the client to get the reg key information to pop out; why it's not buttoned or up front is a bit counter-intuitive. ;)

Also, I wish you could just download the game's installer to archive it (I've been spoiled by GOG and D2D, and even Steam lets you back up files). GFWL's client does point out where the game's downloaded files, but regarding AoEIII it downloaded about six .cab files to a C:\Users\*mycomputer*\AppData\Local\Microsoft\GFWLive\Downloads folder. The client deleted these files after I installed the game a moment ago, so I wasn't able to note the names of the .cab files and if I could just plop those files into the folder again and have the client recognize them. Again, this isn't a deal-killer in general, but given how big games are these days it may be a pain to re-download something in case you reload Windows, get a new system, etc.

If I missed a way to download the actual game sans client for this game, please let me know.

Now, off to play AoEIII... woohoo! Still a great deal and totally worth it. :D

[quote name='Cameron4All']DAMN! For 10 cents, I was all over that like white on rice on a paper plate being carried by a polar bear in a snowstorm!

:bouncy:[/QUOTE]

LOL! Same here :)

[quote name='Bigjon901']I'm having the same problem did you ever get a fix? I can't seem to find the portion of their website that has the information on cdkeys.[/QUOTE]

Well, I don't know about their website, but I found my CD key on the Games for Windows Live client. Click on Downloads, then Age of Empires III, then view game keys.

[quote name='Bigjon901']I'm having the same problem did you ever get a fix? I can't seem to find the portion of their website that has the information on cdkeys.[/QUOTE]

Click on the Downloads tab, then click on the game. More info will roll out from underneath, with a link to the game's key. There wasn't a perceivable rollover prompt, which is why it had to be pointed out to us via an earlier poster (and I was in the dark, too).

There really should have at least been an upfront Info or Registration link or button there, or even have the client enter the key for you in the first place (you have to be logged in with your gamertag anyway).

Edit: D'oh! Thanks SteveL!

[quote name='Xfactor19990']oh and can i use ms points lol so todays deal would cost me 8 ms points?[/QUOTE]

You can use points, but it costs 10 points, not 8, so about 12.5 cents. It was worth the extra couple of pennies for me because I had a weird number of points and have yet to put my credit card into their system. I didn't want to do that for a 10 cent purchase.

[quote name='Layd Dly']Cant beat $.10[/QUOTE]

Valve did make Portal free to get people to download Steam. I think that beats this. :)

[quote name='bmsdaddy']Purchased one for myself and one for my son. Under 'game capabilities' it says it is a one player game, did they remove the multiplayer part? Still downloading, so I will have to wait and find out I guess.[/QUOTE]

I'm wondering about this too. Can someone confirm that online play is still available? I don't see any reason why it wouldn't be though.

[quote name='zuuku']It is asking for the CD key when I install it but I don't remember getting one....[/QUOTE]

Open the Games for Windows Marketplace client, click on the game, click View Game Keys.

My roommate bought it but we cant get the GFW Marketplace to load on his computer. Installed it, clicked the icon, says loading... but nothing comes up. No processes are running related to it either. Any ideas? Google search comes up with nothing except for reinstalling the .NET Framework, which we tried.

[quote name='Teeheehee']I'm wondering about this too. Can someone confirm that online play is still available? I don't see any reason why it wouldn't be though.[/QUOTE]

Online seems to be alive and kicking with around 2600 players as of this post. Only allow one account seems to be allowed per CD Key. Hopefully there'll be a lot more people online after this sale.

11 cents with tax. Effing government!

Man, it's downloading slooooooooooooooooooooooow. Been a couple of hours and only 853MB of 2.75GB down. Awful. I hope it finishes before I take off for the weekend.

Did anyone happen to notice that Bioshock is still $1.99? Are these deals going on all week or is that a glitch. Also, the Bioshock 2 add-ons are either dirt cheap or free.

Thanks for posting this. The Age Of Empires series is my favorite. While I have this game on disc, it isnt the complete version and it is easier to have the digital copy, as I dont have to worry about losing the manual and serial number. Great deal!

[quote name='vauhs']I'm not worried about using the activations up, I'm worried about the damn DRM software installing a rootkit onto my computer.[/QUOTE]

Just disconnect your computer from the internet then, and make sure you keep buying tinfoil for your freaking hats.

LOL

[quote name='friedram']Just disconnect your computer from the internet then, and make sure you keep buying tinfoil for your freaking hats.

LOL[/QUOTE]

Not all DRM schemes are created equal, and there is a valid concern with some of them. No need to be so disrespectful because you don't share an opinion.

The paranoid and hysterical reactions of the people who are clutching for ANY reason to justify not paying for their games never ends. They will take games with cracks and hacks which contain God knows what from anonymous piracy groups over a LEGAL game for a DIME from the largest software company in the world, excusing their choice as being due to fears of a "rootkit" or onerous DRM or just general M$ hatred. It's just retarded.

If I was Emperor of the Universe, I would have an army of stormtroopers monitoring the Internet for dumbasses like this and the moment they post this crap, they'd be sent to kick down their door; confiscate their computers and consoles; punch them in the ear; and leave them with a Mattel Electronic Football game from 1979 to play with. Babies.

[quote name='DirkBelig']The paranoid and hysterical reactions of the people who are clutching for ANY reason to justify not paying for their games never ends. They will take games with cracks and hacks which contain God knows what from anonymous piracy groups over a LEGAL game for a DIME from the largest software company in the world, excusing their choice as being due to fears of a "rootkit" or onerous DRM or just general M$ hatred. It's just retarded. [/QUOTE]

Categorizing everyone who is vocally against invasive DRM schemes as pirates is equally retarded.

[quote name='DirkBelig']The paranoid and hysterical reactions of the people who are clutching for ANY reason to justify not paying for their games never ends. They will take games with cracks and hacks which contain God knows what from anonymous piracy groups over a LEGAL game for a DIME from the largest software company in the world, excusing their choice as being due to fears of a "rootkit" or onerous DRM or just general M$ hatred. It's just retarded.

If I was Emperor of the Universe, I would have an army of stormtroopers monitoring the Internet for dumbasses like this and the moment they post this crap, they'd be sent to kick down their door; confiscate their computers and consoles; punch them in the ear; and leave them with a Mattel Electronic Football game from 1979 to play with. Babies.[/QUOTE]

Win. Thank you. Hands down 2nd best post in this thread (first being the OP)

I jumped on this deal completely expecting the game to run like complete poop on my work computer, but surprisingly it runs fine and is damn fun. I've never played an AOE game, but I've played a lot of Warcraft II and Command and Conquer, so I feel right at home.

I now only have 2630 points...damn.

[quote name='DirkBelig']The paranoid and hysterical reactions of the people who are clutching for ANY reason to justify not paying for their games never ends. They will take games with cracks and hacks which contain God knows what from anonymous piracy groups over a LEGAL game for a DIME from the largest software company in the world, excusing their choice as being due to fears of a "rootkit" or onerous DRM or just general M$ hatred. It's just retarded.

If I was Emperor of the Universe, I would have an army of stormtroopers monitoring the Internet for dumbasses like this and the moment they post this crap, they'd be sent to kick down their door; confiscate their computers and consoles; punch them in the ear; and leave them with a Mattel Electronic Football game from 1979 to play with. Babies.[/QUOTE]

So complaining about potentially harmful rootkits and drm that hurt the consumer more than help them generally (and also apparently everyone is suppose to kiss M$ ass) without any questions is the perfect world you see? Sorry but I actually have a brain and don't live in a country run by a dictator. Point is that trying to label people who dont support certain types of drm as automatic prirates is a bit immature and ignorant on your part. Guess I wouldn't fit in your world! :rofl:

[quote name='aheineken']I jumped on this deal completely expecting the game to run like complete poop on my work computer, but surprisingly it runs fine and is damn fun. I've never played an AOE game, but I've played a lot of Warcraft II and Command and Conquer, so I feel right at home.

I now only have 2630 points...damn.[/QUOTE]

I bought the game without knowing much about the series before hand. I was presently surprised how fun the game is and in ways similar to other rts like the ones you have mentioned. Seems to be well optimized also :D

Post of the year. :applause:

Not to get us too far off topic here, but aside from those Sony music CDs five years ago, has there ever been a rootkit installed because of DRM? It's the only one I know of, and it's time to get over it. If any of you who are seriously worried about this live in the Chicagoland area I'll give you my address and you can come take a dime from my change jar. Buy it now and decide if it's too scary to download at your leisure. I wouldn't want you to miss this great game.

I was pleasantly surprised by the graphics when I booted this up and maxed the graphics. I was expecting some ancient 800x600 2D game but this looks pretty good for it's age.

[quote name='DirkBelig']The paranoid and hysterical reactions of the people who are clutching for ANY reason to justify not paying for their games never ends. They will take games with cracks and hacks which contain God knows what from anonymous piracy groups over a LEGAL game for a DIME from the largest software company in the world, excusing their choice as being due to fears of a "rootkit" or onerous DRM or just general M$ hatred. It's just retarded. [/QUOTE]

Because it's completely unthinkable that something which happened before could possibly happen again, especially when they have to put a clear disclaimer about the game using DRM right on the product page. Not to mention your generalization is ridiculous. Is it so hard to accept that some people are concerned about what drivers and services get installed on their computers?

Not that I believe anything in the AoE3 install will cause issues though, since as far as I know it just uses standard Games for Windows client authentication and nothing else. But certainly you shouldn't assume that every DRM system is created equal.

[quote name='louiedog']Not to get us too far off topic here, but aside from those Sony music CDs five years ago, has there ever been a rootkit installed because of DRM? It's the only one I know of, and it's time to get over it. [/QUOTE]

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/SafeDisc#SafeDis.D1.81_driver_vulnerabilities_and_design_flaws

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/StarForce#Controversy

[quote name='louiedog']Not to get us too far off topic here, but aside from those Sony music CDs five years ago, has there ever been a rootkit installed because of DRM? It's the only one I know of, and it's time to get over it. If any of you who are seriously worried about this live in the Chicagoland area I'll give you my address and you can come take a dime from my change jar. Buy it now and decide if it's too scary to download at your leisure. I wouldn't want you to miss this great game.[/QUOTE]
It's not just rootkits. There has been DRM installed alongside games with side effects such as slowing down your disc drive, disabling burning software, running software at startup even when you're not playing the game, etc. I don't want any of this junk installed on my computer. Though I have no idea if AoE III has anything like this.

[quote name='DirkBelig'] and leave them with a Mattel Electronic Football game from 1979 to play with. Babies.[/QUOTE]

(looks over at shelf)

Who you calling a baby?

[quote name='madogmgd']Eh,

I WOULDNT use my credit card if i were you
If its not on their file already it will keep it there for life.

If it is on there just use your MSP

Because as soon as microsoft sees its a mistake.
They can always do some legal thing to jump the price up to 40$ and charge your card for it.

Might not happen but its FRIGGIN MICROSOFT
Anythings possible.[/QUOTE]

Just saw this... really have to LOL at all the conspiracy theories in this thread.

There is a GRAPHIC on the front page that clearly says "10c" ... graphics generally don't generate themselves.

bread's done
Back