Games For Windows On Demand some 50% off

I think I already saw this up here? Maybe not. Anyways! Thanks for the reminder!

Anyone hear anything good about ShadowRun?

There's a free puzzle game called Tinker up there already for those that want to give GFW Live a chance first. It even offers 200 gamerscore points to earn.

From what I can tell on the client, since the site doesn't tell you the before or after price, the prices are:

Viva Pinata - $9.99
Mahjong Wisdom - $4.99
Osmos - $4.99
Where's Waldo? - $7.49
World of Goo - $9.99
Shadowrun - $9.99

I'm pretty sure that these are with 50% off.

[quote name='AionTelos']
Anyone hear anything good about ShadowRun?[/QUOTE]

It's online only, and wasn't well received when it came out a few years ago, so I can only imagine how dead the community is right now.

It has a handful of training missions you can do offline, but that isn't even close to worth buying the game for.

[quote name='AionTelos']I think I already saw this up here? Maybe not. Anyways! Thanks for the reminder!

Anyone hear anything good about ShadowRun?[/QUOTE]

No, but I've heard a lot of bad things.

Shadowrun is an amazing game and the community is not dead. Most people that say bad things about it only do so because they have never played it or because of how different it is from other Shadowrun games. I can understand how people may have been disappointed with the game for paying $60 for it, but I payed that for it and I can honestly say it was the best purchase I ever made. I played that game so much and had way more fun with it than any other multiplayer game. For this price it is a steal.

I believe they all should have achievements, since MS makes that a requirement for all GFW Live and 360 games. :D I didn't check all yet but World of Goo and Osmos certainly do. :)

[quote name='Chimpanzebra']Shadowrun is an amazing game and the community is not dead. Most people that say bad things about it only do so because they have never played it or because of how different it is from other Shadowrun games. I can understand how people may have been disappointed with the game for paying $60 for it, but I payed that for it and I can honestly say it was the best purchase I ever made. I played that game so much and had way more fun with it than any other multiplayer game. For this price it is a steal.[/QUOTE]

Wow ... good to hear that the community is still going strong. I played it way way back at launch and enjoyed the PC -> Xbox rivalry they had going there. The different abilities each class had were kind of cool. But yeah if there is still people to play with $9.99 is a great price point.

[quote name='hordak']Viva Pinata is currently $10 at GameStop (if you can find it!)[/QUOTE]

Same on Amazon, but beware because Viva Pinata has absurdly high requirements for the game that it is. It's very weird.

[quote name='Weepingwillow']It's online only, and wasn't well received when it came out a few years ago, so I can only imagine how dead the community is right now.

It has a handful of training missions you can do offline, but that isn't even close to worth buying the game for.[/QUOTE]

You can easily find a game (you may play with the same people time and time again though). It is a pretty strong community though. Not large, but enough that keep coming back. Plus the biggest reason people disliked it was because it was full price $60 (on 360) yet was just a multiplayer game.

Even with how much I like it though, I would suggest somehow testing it out first. It plays quite differently since you can use magic and what not (some people may not like teleporting through walls).

Was tempted to get World of Goo for the third time for the achievements, but 180/200 are OCD flags. The game is fantastic but I'm not enough of a masochist to go get all the flags.

Honestly, these "SALE" prices are pathetic for games as old as these. MS, for christ sakes if you're serious about creating a buzz, sell them all for 2.50, after all it's a digital d/l, and a sale is better than no sale. I'm sure most ppl already have VP, and World of Goo anyways, and Shadowrun can be picked up < 10 just about everywhere.

I agree with Stoned. I have MS Points to use, but Microsoft's new DD service isn't launching with a bang. These choices are abysmal, and the "sale" prices are amazingly uncompetitive.

Agreed the sale prices are pathetic. If they want to do this "re-launch" with some meaning, they need to meet or beat Steam's sale prices. The achievements are tempting me to pick up Osmos even though I just got it a few weeks ago for $2.50 on Steam, but I'm not going to pay more than I already did! (The game is totally worth $5...

All in all, it's a decent sale if you don't have any of these games, like achievements, and don't mind the GFWL DRM and interface. Could be getting-my-money better by miles though.

Shadowrun is excellent IMO!

It's my favorite GFWL game. It is online only, but there is still a good number of games going. Matchmaking finds at least 15-20 games at most times, and usually 25-30.

There's never a lack of a good match to play in.

So is GFWL like 360 where you can download content and then it is tied to both the computer and the account? So if you share the PC and someone else logs into Live on the same PC they can use all the content downloaded to the PC? Somehow I doubt it.

Shadowrun has an active community, very friendly but new people are messing up with the games by glitching and cursing. They only play during the morning though.

[quote name='JaroldL']Shadowrun looks good at that price. Thanks OP.[/QUOTE]

From Dec 17-23, gogamer.com has had Shadowrun for the PC for $2.90 plus shipping ($2.99 shipping and tax if you're in CA).

I believe it comes with a 1 month xbox live subscription card which says its expired, so YMMV if it works. (I know that I used an expired (less than a year) 12 month card from a vision pack and it still worked.) Even without the card it's a better deal, if the card works, it's worth about $3 (you can get 12 month cards for $40 quite easily if you wait for the right opportunity) if you want to give it to your Xbox 360 friends or if you have a gold account. Note that one no longer needs to be a gold member to play Games for Windows Live online with a PC. (Stupidest marketing move ever.)

Also note that Viva Pinata has been floating around Big Lots and other places for $6. Do a search on PC Girls thread to see what other stores might have it too.

I agree with others, this sale is weaksauce. GFWL has been total fail since day 1. Kill it and put it out of its misery.

bread's done
Back