games listed $60 at eb, hope this isnt a sign of whats coming

spin03

CAGiversary!
http://www.ebgames.com/ebx/groups/E3_2005/xbox360.asp

all 360 games are listed at 60. yes, they normally list the prices higher then they really are on new systems, but if games are $60, that would sort of suck. only $10 more, but still, for people who pay $50 for games, i think that is sort of steep. thank god for gamerush. if games are 60, hopefully they will just do trade 2 get any game for 40.

I noticed MGS4 was listed at $60 as well. I think EB is just covering their ass right now. I wouldn't worry...yet.

Some companies have confirmed (Was it Activision, I think?) that their next-gen games will be $60 but it's still early to assume all the games will cost $60. We've seen plenty of prices drop ahead of the release date before.

[quote name='spin03']http://www.ebgames.com/ebx/groups/E3_2005/xbox360.asp

all 360 games are listed at 60. yes, they normally list the prices higher then they really are on new systems, but if games are $60, that would sort of suck. only $10 more, but still, for people who pay $50 for games, i think that is sort of steep. thank god for gamerush. if games are 60, hopefully they will just do trade 2 get any game for 40.[/QUOTE]

EB had all the PSP games at 40-50 dollars too way before launch... they are generally spot on with this type of thing.

Not again...

Look, if they don't know what the price is, they use the highest probable price. That way they don't have to ask for more money later on, and can hold too much of your money for a few months.

The current gen still has some amazing looking games, I'm sorry but if prices are that high, I'll stick with my current gen stuff.

I have a feeling I'm not the only person that feels this way. I actually hope I'm not so that game makers will see a hit on their profits so they can learn that they can't just keep increasing prices on us.

[quote name='eldad9']Not again...

Look, if they don't know what the price is, they use the highest probable price. That way they don't have to ask for more money later on, and can hold too much of your money for a few months.[/QUOTE]

You can only hear the $60-70 price point so many times before you really have to start believing that it will be the case.

Used game stores will still be around, trade in deals will still be offered, and sales and price drops will still happen.

I wouldn't worry about it much. Chances are it won't be that much different from this gen.

[quote name='Roufuss']EB had all the PSP games at 40-50 dollars too way before launch... they are generally spot on with this type of thing.[/QUOTE]
If I'm not mistaken, they also had DS games listed at $50, for a while.

Not to be a jerk, but don't you guys realize that with increased functionality comes higher production costs, and thus higher retail prices? I mean, I'm not looking forward to paying more for my games than I have been, but I'm willing to if I must for these reasons:
1. it will be worth it because, presumably, the games will be of higher quality than current gen stuff.
2. the promise of downloadable content for games makes them worth more to me, even if I end up paying a small fee for the DC.
3. the game industry is not immune to inflation. no one should expect for $50 to be the standard new game price forever, just as no one would expect to pay the same amount today for tomatoes as they did 10 years ago.
4. gamers' ages are increasing as the Atari/NES generation grows up, and therefore these people theoretically have more money to spend.

So, while I certainly don't look forward to paying more for games, I do understand that it was only a matter of time. Also, very rarely do any real CAGs pay full price anyway - it'll just be less of a discount than what we're used to!

[quote name='organicow']Not to be a jerk, but don't you guys realize that with increased functionality comes higher production costs, and thus higher retail prices? I mean, I'm not looking forward to paying more for my games than I have been, but I'm willing to if I must for these reasons:
1. it will be worth it because, presumably, the games will be of higher quality than current gen stuff.
2. the promise of downloadable content for games makes them worth more to me, even if I end up paying a small fee for the DC.
3. the game industry is not immune to inflation. no one should expect for $50 to be the standard new game price forever, just as no one would expect to pay the same amount today for tomatoes as they did 10 years ago.
4. gamers' ages are increasing as the Atari/NES generation grows up, and therefore these people theoretically have more money to spend.

So, while I certainly don't look forward to paying more for games, I do understand that it was only a matter of time. Also, very rarely do any real CAGs pay full price anyway - it'll just be less of a discount than what we're used to![/QUOTE]

There is some truth to this but I don't think it covers everything. For instance, you wouldn't expect to pay $10 more to see Lord of the Rings in theaters or to own it on DVD, but the production costs were much higher for this movie than say the newest Romantic Comedy.

I feel the sheer amount of threads in regard to the topic, is overkill, but the subject however is worth the discussion. A purchase of all three systems would estimate at around a 1000 dollars, big bucks for any poor, middle class man, especially when my car alone is making my paycheck mere quaters to the dollar

Game Prices in JP have been going through the roof the last few years. I will give some examples of RPG prices in JP:

Sakura Taisen V: Saraba Itoshiki Hito yo will be released in Japan on July 7th. The standard version will retail for 7,800 yen ($72.66 US), while the limited edition Showtime Box will carry a price tag of 14,000 yen ($130.42 US).

Grandia III will be available in Japan on August 4th for 7,980 yen ($75.55 US)

Shadow Hearts From The New World will be released in Japan on July 28th. The game's standard version will be available for 6,980 yen ($66.09 US), while the limited edition Premium Box will cost 11,800 yen ($111.72 US). The latter will ship with a special movie DVD, a soundtrack, a T-shirt featuring an illustration of Johnny, a keyholder looking like Shania's earring, a strap and a special B5-sized notebook.

Shinten Makai Generation of Chaos V will be available in Japan on July 21st. The strategy RPG had previously only been listed for a summer 2005 release. The game's standard version will be available for 6,800 yen ($64.68 US), while the limited edition will cost 8,800 yen ($83.71 US).

I remember paying $1.00 for gas in georgia back in 2000.

Wouldn't surprized if $60 was right. As for the PS3, I bet those fancy Blu-ray discs will cost a purdy penny as well...

Don't really care though, I usually find a way around the price tag.

All this means is you have to wait one more price drop to get the game cheap. Games usually drop in $10 (sometimes $20) increments. So a little waiting won't hurt anyone. You still have all the great current gen games that are coming out.

Stores are also still having trade in deals all over the place and this should still be the case for next-gen as well. Whatever the case may be, there will always be a way to get the games cheaper, just have to have a little patience.

If the next-gen games will be and stay $60 for a while, you can bet I will be buying the "Official [Insert Console Name] Magazine" for a while if it has playable demos to try out. I hope the renting prices (at BlockBuster or HV) stay the same as if it would be to rent the same games for this current gen.

I actually read a J Allard interview where he said that MS wasn't planning on charging any more next gen. He figured that an extra $5 or $10 could be made here and there through premium DLC, and it was in their best interest to keep the actual MRSP's about where they currently are. If I can find the link I'll post it. But I took it to mean $50 still on 360, with an increased probability that any DLC available will cost you a few more. Which is fine with me. I'd rather bay the base cost, then decide later if the game is worth any additional investment...

[quote name='gamefreak117']If the next-gen games will be and stay $60 for a while, you can bet I will be buying the "Official [Insert Console Name] Magazine" for a while if it has playable demos to try out. I hope the renting prices (at BlockBuster or HV) stay the same as if it would be to rent the same games for this current gen.[/QUOTE]

You wouldnt believe how many times OPM and DCM saved my ass from having to pay full price for a games. I used to get mag subscriptions back when PSX and N64 were still somewhat new.

You act like you buy them all at retail anyways...

Between Guild Wars and the stack of games I have dating back to the NES to play... I could skip this generation entirely and pick them up 10 for $5.

[quote name='morpheus_49017']I actually read a J Allard interview where he said that MS wasn't planning on charging any more next gen. He figured that an extra $5 or $10 could be made here and there through premium DLC, and it was in their best interest to keep the actual MRSP's about where they currently are. If I can find the link I'll post it. But I took it to mean $50 still on 360, with an increased probability that any DLC available will cost you a few more. Which is fine with me. I'd rather bay the base cost, then decide later if the game is worth any additional investment...[/QUOTE]

This makes a lot of sense. They'll be nickle and diming us like crazy with the Marketplace.

Just check out inflation people....
http://www.westegg.com/inflation/

What cost $50 in 1985 would cost $88.73 in 2005.
What cost $50 in 1995 would cost $62.21 in 2005.
What cost $50 in 2000 would cost $55.53 in 2005.

Not even contemplating the hugely increased cost of production.. we should be paying atleast $60 a game.

And when you remember paying $60-$70 for a blockbuster game on the SNES...

What cost $70 in 1994 would cost $89.36 in 2005.

Feel lucky if we only have to spend $60 for this upcoming generation.

Cornfedwb, what were you thinking? Trying to use logic and common sense around here? You will be flamed and abused by the vast majority (who would prefer to bitch and complain and ignore reality).

[quote name='Apossum']This makes a lot of sense. They'll be nickle and diming us like crazy with the Marketplace.[/QUOTE]

I think that's their plan, to a tee. They want to take more money from us, but do it more slowly in smaller increments so everyone's not crying about how much more it costs.

personally i think the industry is nuts for thinking they can get 60-70 bucks a game out of us. they can barely even get 30 anymore! look how quickly AAA games like MGS 3, splinter cell chaos theory and such drop! that just proves to me that this industry is going in the wrong direction.

[quote name='Cornfedwb']Just check out inflation people....
http://www.westegg.com/inflation/

What cost $50 in 1985 would cost $88.73 in 2005.
What cost $50 in 1995 would cost $62.21 in 2005.
What cost $50 in 2000 would cost $55.53 in 2005.

Not even contemplating the hugely increased cost of production.. we should be paying atleast $60 a game.

And when you remember paying $60-$70 for a blockbuster game on the SNES...

What cost $70 in 1994 would cost $89.36 in 2005.

Feel lucky if we only have to spend $60 for this upcoming generation.[/QUOTE]

funny, how even with inflation, as a worker im getting payed less over the last 7 years at jobs i used to get 11 dollars an hour at.

[quote name='Machine']Cornfedwb, what were you thinking? Trying to use logic and common sense around here? You will be flamed and abused by the vast majority (who would prefer to bitch and complain and ignore reality).[/QUOTE]

I realize I haven't been posting much lately.. but trust me, from previous experience, I don't care. I do however get sick and tired of people bitching and moaning about how companies are "evil" because they try to make a profit... especially when their arguments are filled with juvenile ignorant points.

And to add to the rebuttal...

http://msnbc.msn.com/id/3078404

In 1996 a typical PlayStation game cost less than $1 million to make and sold for $49. Today, development costs for an Xbox or PlayStation 2 game run anywhere from $5 million to $7 million per title and sell for $49.99. And some game titles can cost upwards of $30 million.

And somehow we whine that we may have to pay $60? Be glad it's not $100+

[quote name='Machine']Cornfedwb, what were you thinking? Trying to use logic and common sense around here? You will be flamed and abused by the vast majority (who would prefer to bitch and complain and ignore reality).[/QUOTE]

Cornfed brings up a good point, but the only problem is the issue is much more complicated than just merely pointing out inflation.

For instance someone "tried" to argue that back in the 1920's gas cost like $3 and higher by using a very basic inflation explanation, thus we shouldn't be bitching about higher gas prices now. The reality is the issue is far more complex than that, and it cannot be explained with only one point alone.

Honestly, by looking at many factors I would say that the current trend indicates that games should be falling in price and companies need to become more efficient in producing games at a lower cost, or they risk being kicked out of the market.

I am sure someone can write an entire book on this subject, so I will leave it right here.

[quote name='thingsfallnapart']funny, how even with inflation, as a worker im getting payed less over the last 7 years at jobs i used to get 11 dollars an hour at.[/QUOTE]

Income increases are not usually proportional to inflation

[quote name='opportunity777']Cornfed brings up a good point, but the only problem is the issue is much more complicated than just merely pointing out inflation.

For instance someone "tried" to argue that back in the 1920's gas cost like $3 and higher by using a very basic inflation explanation, thus we shouldn't be bitching about higher gas prices now. The reality is the issue is far more complex than that, and it cannot be explained with only one point alone.

Honestly, by looking at many factors I would say that the current trend indicates that games should be falling in price and companies need to become more efficient in producing games at a lower cost, or they risk being kicked out of the market.

I am sure someone can write an entire book on this subject, so I will leave it right here.[/QUOTE]

Well yes, we'd have to include many statistics to really chart the trends.. such as total installed base, average game sale numbers, total overhead, average increase in marketing costs, increase in wholesale prices... as well as less tangible numbers such as probability of customers spending msrp, state of the used market, etc...

However, I'm going to go out on a limb here and say with the games costing anywhere from five to thirty times as much as PS1 games, inflation itself adding $10 to the cost, and I'm sure an increase in marketing/distribution costs.. they're not making as much as they were.

[quote name='opportunity777']Income increases are not usually proportional to inflation[/QUOTE]

and that's the point im making...we arent paying more, because we cant. we arent making the same money we used too.

Personally, I usually never buy games when they first come out. I wait until they either drop or go preowned ~= 20ish bucks. The last game i bought when it was first released was Resident Evil 4....but even then it was 38 shipped from Outpost.

I'm actually suprised gaming prices have been at 50 dollars as long as they have. But you gotta remember that you can always rely on trade specials, price breaks, and all sorts of other ways to get a cheap game. Even if the XBOX 360 launches at 300 with games at 60 dollars, I would still buy it at launch with the new Madden and another game of my choosing.

With the rising costs to make games It's only a matter of time before the reach the $60 point, and many years from now maybe even $70 (especially for collectors editions). But theres two ways you can avoid the whole $60 pricepoint all together

1) Don't buy any of the next gen systems

2) If you do buy any of the next gen systems, buy ALL of your games used, or get them on sale. If everyone were to get their games on sale and avoid the $60 price tag all together the $60 price concept would be a failure and MS among the other companies making 360 games would have no choice but to drop their prices.

It was bad enough when some PSP games held the price tag of $50, but it was even more worst when NFSU:Rivals became the #1 seller for the PSP, allowing more companies to charge $50 for a game in the long run.

bread's done
Back