Games on Demand for Windows

EliotAndrews

CAGiversary!
Feedback
24 (100%)
Hey everyone.
Today, December 15th, was to be the launch of Microsoft's Games on Demand for Windows service. (Microsoft's own "Steam.") Normally, I wouldn't get excited, but I sold my 360 and happen to have some leftover MS Points tied to my LIVE account.

Strangely enough, though, the launch is nowhere in sight. Microsoft's low profile launch has few talking about it, and fewer with the knowledge of where it is or what it will bring. That doesn't help me or my excess MS Points, though.

So, where is the launch, Microsoft? Anyone know?

I'm just going to jab them... but what do you expect from microsoft... underperformed and always late....

Plus I don't know what titles they would have to benifit them, all GFWs?... not enough. Not like Steam.

Could be interesting considering I have like 3000 MS points from when I had a 360, not to mention that LIVE points seem to be on sale on a regular basis.

I'm always down for digital distribution since I don't like storing CDs, DVDs and other types of media outside of books :)

I will get my free account and see what they offer but I doubt they will have much to entice a purchase from me.

Now if they purchase Xfire and/or Gamespy and incorporate that into their communication structure I can see them gaining a lot of momentum.

Long run I can see this as a good thing for PC Gamers because you will have a one stop shop to connect and game with friends.

[quote name='Megazell']Long run I can see this as a good thing for PC Gamers because you will have a one stop shop to connect and game with friends.[/QUOTE]

Little late to the party. http://store.steampowered.com/about/

But, yes, right now, there's really no point to downloading the client unless you really want to spend your MS points on "add-ons" and exclusive GFWL (that probably has a small community). No friends list, no communication tools, very sparse collection of games... just in general a much inferior client than Steam ATM.

I really hope they get their act together with this. Not that I really plan to use it, but I think it could create some healthy competition with Steam, thereby helping digital prices to be lower than retail.

an inferior product arriving years too late from a company that no longer makes cool PC games?

yay.

[quote name='kilm']Little late to the party. http://store.steampowered.com/about/

But, yes, right now, there's really no point to downloading the client unless you really want to spend your MS points on "add-ons" and exclusive GFWL (that probably has a small community). No friends list, no communication tools, very sparse collection of games... just in general a much inferior client than Steam ATM.[/QUOTE]

What do you mean?

I already know about STEAM.

[quote name='Jugglenaut']I really hope they get their act together with this. Not that I really plan to use it, but I think it could create some healthy competition with Steam, thereby helping digital prices to be lower than retail.[/QUOTE]

Agreed.

All GFW have gamepad support, right? I love that, since I do most of my gaming on my HTPC the gamepad option rules

The available games list actually looks quite impressive. Kilm, did you even look at it?

[quote name='Koggit']All GFW have gamepad support, right? I love that, since I do most of my gaming on my HTPC the gamepad option rules

The available games list actually looks quite impressive. Kilm, did you even look at it?[/QUOTE]

Actually, you can play any game via game pad.

I use a free version of Pinnacle and an old program called CrossBoss.

I've been playing PC games since the Amiga and all I use is a Gamepad and/or Gamepad - No mouse.

[quote name='Koggit']The available games list actually looks quite impressive. Kilm, did you even look at it?[/QUOTE]

Yeah, I don't know if my client is outdated or anything, but I see a total of 20 games available for download.

On their website http://www.microsoft.com/games/en-US/index.aspx
they have like ~100 games or so (compared to Steam's thousands), but a lot of their links don't work for me.
For instance, I clicked on World in Conflict http://www.microsoft.com/games/en-US/Games/Pages/WorldinConflict.aspx
and I get an error page.

They might be updating it or something, but right now, there's little to compliment in terms of their game selection.

By the way, Tinker is available to download for free. Viva Pinata and Shadow Run are both 50% off, so $10 each in case anyone was wondering.

for some reason i'm skeptical that steam has thousands of games -- and how many games did steam launch with?

i know steam has a larger selection than GFW, but they've also been in the digital distribution business quite a while longer so that's to be expected at this point. i see no reason not to give ms a chance.

[quote name='Koggit']for some reason i'm skeptical that steam has thousands of games -- and how many games did steam launch with?

i know steam has a larger selection than GFW, but they've also been in the digital distribution business quite a while longer so that's to be expected at this point. i see no reason not to give ms a chance.[/QUOTE]

Steam roughly has around 800 full games, but I was also including demos, trailers, dlc. The difference with the launches, though, is that Steam is a Valve exclusive product that was first used to run HL2, with a few independent games (Valve supported) launching with it. Microsoft already has a GFWL infrastructure with titles from companies independent of Microsoft plus the templates of already established DD services out there. ~100 games supported with GFWL, but not readily available for download. That's not impressive by any means, which now I question whether or not you actually looked at the Games on Demand marketplace. Really, comparing the launches of the two clients is not a very good comparison.

I will agree with you that there's no reason to not give the GFWL client a chance in the future, but no one was really referring to its future. It's just at this point (In mid December 2009) there's little use for GFWL and Games on Demand unless you just want to spend MS points on a meager selection.

Last edited by a moderator:
It has some decent games, but the prices are eh. I was thinking of getting fallout 3 with some points I have since I got them on the cheap, but it's still a bit too much.

[quote name='Koggit']for some reason i'm skeptical that steam has thousands of games -- and how many games did steam launch with?

i know steam has a larger selection than GFW, but they've also been in the digital distribution business quite a while longer so that's to be expected at this point. i see no reason not to give ms a chance.[/QUOTE]

It's not like Microsoft just jumped into the pc space though. GFWL has been around since early 2007, but didn't release a client until late 2008. They've offered dlc since then, but not full games. I agree, I hope to see Microsoft compete with Steam, but their history with GFWL is not promising. They have a history of announcing things like the client that take forever to come out, and when they do they are fairly underwhelming. When Steam is so agressive in this space, along with the other smaller competitors like Impulse and D2D, it's hard to take Microsofts efforts thus far seriously. I'm really surprised it's been so slow, considering how large and competitive xbl is as a service.

Great job, MS. I was thinking about buying Shadowrun, but it won't let me because I am not 18 (I'm 17). Guess I'll just stick with Steam who doesn't care.

[quote name='Megazell']Now if they purchase Xfire and/or Gamespy and incorporate that into their communication structure I can see them gaining a lot of momentum.[/QUOTE]

NOOOOOOO no no no no no no noooooo on that. Gamespy is what garbage that flies won't even touch grows on.

[quote name='strikeratt']NOOOOOOO no no no no no no noooooo on that. Gamespy is what garbage that flies won't even touch grows on.[/QUOTE]

Agreed. Xfire on the other hand would be a smart buy.

[quote name='Hydro2Oxide']Oh Darthbudge, haven't you learned to lie about your age yet?[/QUOTE]

Yeah, but I created my XBL account many years ago, back before M$ pulled out all this content restriction bullshit. If I would have known they were gonna change it up, I would have lied.

I think it's cool that they are offering a free game with achievements, but GFWL seems like a half-assed attempt at bringing the Xbox experience to the PC. It could be a lot cooler if it was done properly (manage all your games, transfer licenses between PCs for those who own multiple, incorporate more Xbox Live features like friends list, etc.) but it isn't anywhere close at the moment.

[quote name='strikeratt']NOOOOOOO no no no no no no noooooo on that. Gamespy is what garbage that flies won't even touch grows on.[/QUOTE]

Well, I was not going to use X-Fire and STEAM because we know STEAM will be staying as it for a long time. D2D has too many owners. :)

So I see Viva Pinata is 50% off...anyone know the price? I don't feel like installing GFWL just to see its $20 or something. I'd buy it for $5.

[quote name='avidwriter']so i see viva pinata is 50% off...anyone know the price? I don't feel like installing gfwl just to see its $20 or something. I'd buy it for $5.[/quote]

$10

[quote name='darthbudge']Great job, MS. I was thinking about buying Shadowrun, but it won't let me because I am not 18 (I'm 17). Guess I'll just stick with Steam who doesn't care.[/QUOTE]

[quote name='Hydro2Oxide']Oh Darthbudge, haven't you learned to lie about your age yet?[/QUOTE]

Heh, I was 21 years old for 7 years..

bread's done
Back