Games similar to Fire Emblem

stmiller13

CAGiversary!
Im looking for games similar to Fire Emblem. I have 2 sons age 15 and 13 now. They both enjoyed fire emblem immensely a couple of years ago. Im trying to find similar games that I will get them for x-mas presents.

They had a fire emblem game for the DS as well as the WII version, thank you in advance for your suggestions.

Any of the Advance Wars are pretty similar to the Fire Emblem games gameplay-wise. If you're looking for something with more of a thematic fit as well, Final Fantasy Tactics Advance 2 would probably work.

I would disagree a bit on advance wars. It's true that they're by the same developer IIRC, and they're both turn based strategy with similar movement/attacking systems.

However, Fire Emblem you have units that improve over the game and are gone for good if they're lost. You also only get a set number of units in a senario. In Advance wars, you capture areas to increase your production, and make new units. This is a very significant difference, as far as I am concerned. For me, AW always came to grinding down the oponent....I'd almost have them, they'd use their CO powers, and come back a bit. Never enough where I didn't know I was going to win, but enough to delay it for a number of turns. Many battles took forever, and were not fun, IMHO. On the other hand, FE, I keep replaying battles so I don't miss/lose a character. ;)

I have only played the original Advance Wars, and Fire Emblem: The Sacred Stones. I traded AW away, and didn't bother getting any others. I have gotten all the Fire emblems available in North America.

My suggestions, though I haven't played many of these, with the top most being closest to FE, AFIK.

-Final Fantasy Tactics (PS1, PSP, GBA, DS) -- SRPGs, with fantasy worlds
-Disgaea (PS2, PS3?, DS) -- SRPGs with fantasy worlds
-Advance Wars (GBA, DS) -- TBS, with modern settings
-Front Mission (PS2, DS, others?) -- TBS with futureistic settings (Mechs :))

And just to be sure you haven't missed any Fire Emblem games for the kids, there are four in NA. Fire Emblem(GBA), Fire Emblem The Sacred Stones (GBA), Fire Emblem Path of Radiance (GC) and Fire Emblem Radient Dawn (Wii)

GOod luck!

Yes I agree with Disgaea, Advance wars and Final Fantasy Tactics, but Front Mission didn't really wow me much.
One game that you mush import for any SRPG lover is Super Robot Taisen
The only import friendly ones are for the 360, DS, and GBA, but I really think you should buy the DS version and see if your sons like it. Its in Japanese, but if you have common sense you will figure everything out. The games really simple, challenging and the animations are just sometimes wowing for the DS.
It also includes robots, from tons of anime and manga so that's interesting.
So I strongly recommend Disgaea and Super Robot Taisen W(might be hard to find for a fair price)

[quote name='62t']or you could get the Super Robort Taisen OG, which got a US release.[/quote]
Yeah, OG and OG 2. Haven't played them yet, going to buy them soon.

Thanks for the replies im gonna look into the games listed above. I know they enjoy the turn based aspect, and keeping the characters alive, and restarting if someone that they enjoy died. They also take after me when it comes to a fantasy setting, thanks again.

There arn't many games in American market like Fire Emblem. When your characters is dead there dead. Suikoden has it, but those only occur during war skirmish. Brigandine have it as well, but yet again those apply to units, not heroes. All those games suggested are just srpg. They play totally different. Plus, Fire Emblem use a rock, paper or scissors format while those games don't. If you want brutal difficulty, you should play Rogue-likes. You lose all your levels when you die, follow by autosave to prevent reseting. You can use "save scumming" to cheat the system which is basically backing up your saves. It's a little more work for ds game because you have to use Action Replay to transfer your backup saves from computer to your ds cart.

bread's done
Back