Games that were before their time.

Doom - Not even so much because of being a FPS but it having user created levels

Bases Loaded- Bringing cinematics to sports games.

Baseball Stars- Able to save your season and stats with no passwords. Got to be your own gm

[quote name='TheLongshot']Many times, things that are ahead of their time are failures because of that. The true worth is only realized later on.[/QUOTE]
Yep. Many other Sega products would fit the bill, especially the Sega Channel.

As for games, can only think of two at the moment: Ys Book I and II for TurboGrafx CD (for its large-scale anime graphics and use of audio), and Phantasy Star Online for (of course) Dreamcast (for being a very early and well-designed console MMO).

[quote name='KneeKnee']Why hasn't Herzog Zwei been ported or put on any of the 5835 Sega compilations yet? I absolutely loved that game.

Also, was Dune 2 the RTS for genesis? Was it battle for Arakis? (or something like that?) Checking ebay now for some copies. Need that game in my life.

EDIT: Dune: Battle for Arakkis seems pricey complete but a few game only copies are floating around for under $15. Same for Herzog Zwei, which I have owned at least 3 times in my life.

Stupid me for selling/trading in all my games at the end of a system's life.[/QUOTE]

The Dune 2 we're referring to is "Dune II: The Building of a Dynasty" for PC, made by Westwood Studios long before Command & Conquer or Warcraft. They later re-made it as Dune 2000, but I've never tried that.

Doom definitely. It was one of the first games where the creators didn't seem bound by any code to make the game kid-friendly or safe. The blood splattered, there were pentagrams everywhere, and the music was dark. To this day, it's still one of my favorite games.

[quote name='EarthBound Sucks']Madden 2011. Madden 2011 came out in 2010.[/QUOTE]

Ok, I admit that was funny, EVEN THOUGH I disagree wiith your username

[quote name='bigdaddybruce44']The Dreamcast was a failure, but not because of the system itself. Sega's track record and lackluster third-party support were two contributing factors.[/QUOTE]

I think the biggest reason for the Dreamcast failure was the way Sega killed off the Saturn by having Bernie Stolar come out and say "The Saturn is not our [SEGA's] future." Dev's and consumers went apeshit after hearing that statement.Who would want to trust Sega after that.

[quote name='themaster20000']I think the biggest reason for the Dreamcast failure was the way Sega killed off the Saturn by having Bernie Stolar come out and say "The Saturn is not our [SEGA's] future." Dev's and consumers went apeshit after hearing that statement.Who would want to trust Sega after that.[/QUOTE]

That's part of what I meant by Sega's track record. They had a history of underperforming products and prematurely pulling the plug on consoles.

Warlords for the Atari 2600.

Pre-dated Gauntlet in the Arcade by a good bit, but Gauntlet still didn't get where Warlords was in that Gauntlet was co-op. Warlords predated the earliest significant multiplayer gaming by a full decade. Definitely ahead of its time.

My greatest moments in my gaming life were at my neighbor's house, beating older kids at Warlords.

[quote name='blueshinra']As for games, can only think of two at the moment: Ys Book I and II for TurboGrafx CD (for its large-scale anime graphics and use of audio)[/QUOTE]

Yes, defiantly Ys Book I&II deserve to be on this list. It was far ahead of it's time in audio and animated cutscenes. The in-game visuals and gameplay weren't as revolutionary but for the time they were nice. When I play these older games I'm always in the mindset as if I were playing this back when it first came out. Needless to say if I played this back in 1990 when I was 9 years old I would've been floored.

I wish Sega wouldn't have screwed things up with the systems. They were really unique and fun when they brought the Genesis out. They went toe-to-toe with Nintendo, who had 90%+ of the market, and for the most part, they won that round.

[quote name='jman619']Donkey Kong Country on SNES. Have you ever seen a better looking SNES game? Seriously... :drool:

Plus it was awesome.[/QUOTE]

I disagree, that game is the definition of graphics over gameplay.Take the graphics away and it's just a mediocre platformer.

[quote name='themaster20000']I disagree, that game is the definition of graphics over gameplay.Take the graphics away and it's just a mediocre platformer.[/QUOTE]

It was special when it was first released. I don't really agree. Did you actually play it around release?

[quote name='jman619']It was special when it was first released. I don't really agree. Did you actually play it around release?[/QUOTE]

Yeah I did and like everyone else I liked it for the graphics and then I got older realized that that's all the game had going for it.I do like the second one though since it had a lot of improvements such as better levels,animal only stages,bosses,and etc.

Not a game, but I just couldn't resist:

Freddy Got Fingered

Such a great movie, but unfortunately it's only notable accomplishment was desensitizing the mainstream and preparing them for Jackass. You can bet your bottom dollar that movie would earn a metascore MUCH higher than 13 if it were released today.

[quote name='themaster20000']Yeah I did and like everyone else I liked it for the graphics and then I got older realized that that's all the game had going for it.[/QUOTE]
Truth. The Master speaks it. They gussied up a so-so platformer with chunky graphics. The music was the only good thing about DKC.

I didn't even like the graphics when I played it, they looked weird at the time. I remember the promotional stuff for DKC making a big deal of 3D MODELING to keep pace with the PS. DKC is one of the few times I've used "gimmicky" in referring to Nintendo without the tongue firmly in cheek.

Also, the Rare Kongs are assy and stupid.

[quote name='dothog']Warlords for the Atari 2600.

Pre-dated Gauntlet in the Arcade by a good bit, but Gauntlet still didn't get where Warlords was in that Gauntlet was co-op. Warlords predated the earliest significant multiplayer gaming by a full decade. Definitely ahead of its time.

My greatest moments in my gaming life were at my neighbor's house, beating older kids at Warlords.
[/QUOTE]

Hell yeah, I remember playing that all the time. Plus wasn't there an arcade version too? In fact, I was thinking of trying to recreate Warlords in LittleBigPlanet 2.

Though you could also say Pong predated Warlords by a decade as a multiplayer game ;). But, yeah, Warlords was way more fun.

[quote name='io']
Though you could also say Pong predated Warlords by a decade as a multiplayer game ;). But, yeah, Warlords was way more fun.[/QUOTE]

Pong did predate it by a lot, but as a 2P experience. Warlords was the first I played that had 4P-versus multiplayer.

[quote name='Thekrakrabbit']The Virtual Boy. Nothing before or after that system could burn your eyes and make you go color blind after using it for 15 minutes.[/QUOTE]

Haha, nice.

[quote name='Thekrakrabbit']I didn't notice before, but why is it that your cat and lo's cat look almost identical?[/QUOTE]

They're cousins.

[quote name='skinkrawl']Doom definitely. It was one of the first games where the creators didn't seem bound by any code to make the game kid-friendly or safe. The blood splattered, there were pentagrams everywhere, and the music was dark. To this day, it's still one of my favorite games.[/QUOTE]

I'd say Castle Wolfenstein before that. The first person shooter that launched a genre. Most of us were blown away that someone could do something so nice with shareware.

[quote name='TheLongshot']I'd say Castle Wolfenstein before that. The first person shooter that launched a genre. Most of us were blown away that someone could do something so nice with shareware.[/QUOTE]

I was thinking of saying Wolfenstein, because it introduced the genre, but Doom was what kicked it wide open. Better graphics, more intense gameplay, and heeding no moral code when it came to presentation.

Here's a good one..CokeStudios. Before myCoke of course that crap sucked donkeys. I would spend days on CokeStudios. Yes, days..

[quote name='bigdaddybruce44']Doom 3. Used in benchmarks for years after its release.[/QUOTE]
That's the first time I remember the sound in a game being scary. I played it in surround sound and i remember noises like pipes knocking and voices talking behind you. It was freaky.

[quote name='TheLongshot']I'd say Castle Wolfenstein before that. The first person shooter that launched a genre. Most of us were blown away that someone could do something so nice with shareware.[/QUOTE]
FYI, you mean Wolfenstein 3D. Castle Wolfenstein is not an FPS.

[quote name='blueshinra']FYI, you mean Wolfenstein 3D. Castle Wolfenstein is not an FPS.[/QUOTE]

You are correct. As someone who has actually played Castle Wolfenstein (and the sequel, Beyond Castle Wolfenstein) back in the day, I should know the difference.

this may sound crazy but I've got to go with Dark Sector for Xbox 360 and Ps3. I still haven't played another game on xbox 360 or ps3 that was as good as this game. I liked the graphics, story, gameplay and the single greatest weapon in a game, the glaive!!!

bread's done
Back