Games that were so overrated that they made you buy them.

[quote name='opportunity777']I didn't like Smash Bros. Melee as much as the 64 version, and I played the 64 version a lot and still do.

Add Smash Bros. Melee to my overrated list.[/quote]I was the best at that game. I just bought a Game Cube and I want to get that melee soon.

Should I be embarressed to admit that sometimes I like games that are linear? I also don't mind so much when a game was lots of cinematics, too :)

-Gran Turismo 3---Too complex to be fun
-Simpsons Hit & Run---Repetivie way too fast
-Burnout 2---Beat it in a few days, sucked ever since
-Splinter Cell---Fun until you run out of your five bullets

Animal Crossing was not hyped at all.. If anything its a sleeper..

I do not agree with Halo being over hyped.. I personally think it IS the best multiplayer fps ever. The single player is horrible.. If you have ever played xbox connect then you will love halo.. If you like fps and you are somewhat decent and have friends to play with.

Metroid Prime: The game was decent. Lots of exploring and backtracking. It got very boring very quickly. All you do is shoot and scan everyroom but Retro studios did a very good job translatin this game from 2d to 3d. I'm glad I only paid $20 for this game. I don't even think I'm goin to buy the sequel.

Need for Speed Underground: Same street tracks over and over and over again. Gets boring real quick and the A.I. cheats a lot. Drifting is dumb and boring. Although the sequel sounds like its gonna be much better than this, plus they got Brooke Burke in it!

True Crime Streets of LA: Everybody so far keeps sayin GTA but this game has got to be worser than GTA. Now this was a waste of money. C'mon $50 for an unfinished game?? There were so many glitches and the damn game crashed a lot.

Turned-Based RPGs: I'm more into real time action. No offense but I can't stand that menu/attack stuff.

My friend thinks that a lot of the EA games are overrated. I think their games is okay but I wouldn't say they're my favorites. They rehash too many games year after year.

Most overrated crap I've ever bought, huh...

#1 = Final Fantasy VII - complete garbage
StarFox Adventures
Zelda: Ocarina of Time - okay it's all right, but so overrated I had to put it.

Add another tally to the Soul Calibur 2 count from me. I've always liked fighters, but for some reason that game was a huge let-down for me. It got some great reviews and that's what suckered me into buying it, but I still don't think it deserves the praise it recieved.

Oh, and almost every Star Wars game as well. Besides KOTOR, none of them are worth any of the hype they have recieved.

EDIT: 200th post. Took me long enough.

[quote name='sj41'][quote name='EggViper']im not saying it was overrated (or bad in anyway) but i bought halo just b/c of the hype. the day i bought my xbox i only had enuf money to buy 1 game. i was personally going to buy project gotham racing but i kept remembering halo cause everyone had been talking about it. looking at the box art, i saw (for the first time) a green guy with some crap going on in the background and wondered "what the hell?". i caved into the hype and went with halo anyway though. got home, played that game for weeks, and loved it.[/quote] My mom bought my Xbox and I only had enough money for 1 $50 game. I went for Halo since I had played it at a friend's house and it was one of the best games I've ever played.[/quote]

im not trying to be a jerk in any way, but you need to play more games. get a snes and learn what gameplay actully is. im not saying halo is bad, because ive never played it, but i cant imagine it being better than super punch out or secret of mana.

[quote name='punqsux']im not saying halo is bad, because ive never played it, but i cant imagine it being better than super punch out or secret of mana.[/quote]

It's not. Especially Secret of Mana. Halo isn't bad, just very average. There are hundreds of PC FPS just as good if not better, not to mention with a better control scheme and most likely online play. In fact, Halo PC is one of these. Indeed, most PC FPS games now are able to be modded, so if it's any good at all fans will create plenty of interesting new levels and other mods. So yeah, basically I don't see why Halo is considered to be so good.

For your Xbox, I'd suggest JSRF.

[quote name='opportunity777']I didn't like Smash Bros. Melee as much as the 64 version, and I played the 64 version a lot and still do.[/quote]

That's interesting. What do you like more about the original than Melee? The only thing I can think of that I was disappointed in with Melee is the fact that they've made Kirby, one of my fav characters to play in the original, much too weak. However, this is made up for by

more characters
more stages
more moves
faster gameplay
better, more in depth gameplay
more items
more play modes
trophies!
light years better 1-player mode (even though it still gets old after a while)
etc etc etc

Dark Cloud...... ugh.

There was so much hype surrounding that game and it turned out to be the biggest, most annoying terd ever.

The town-building was fun, sure, but you had to do hours and hours of agonizing, uninteresting dungeon crawling in between each town advancement.

I actually played through half of the game and I wanted to eat a bullet at that point.

I'm sick and tired of people comparing console fps's and PC fps's. It's apples and oranges. They're different animals. You can't compare them. Of course a PC fps is going to be better. Theres no debate there.

That being said, Halo is the best CONSOLE fps since Goldeneye. Can you name some better ones on Xbox or PS2?

For most overhyped I would have to go with Daikatana. Honorable mention goes to Oddworld: Munch's Oddyssey (which MS focused their marketing on instead of Halo for a while), Timesplitters 2, Turok.

goldeneye is overated. i bought it for my cousin for his birthday and went to his house i try it out. 2 days later his mom took us to funco land and we traded it for doom 64. i player goldeneye the other and i just kept wondering to myself what the big deal was.

every zelda game is also overated. all the ones for gameboy are absolutly horrible. all you do is run around, solve little puzzles, and get magic boots and stuff. u run over the same area like a million times. its unbelievably repetetive.

halo is only good for system link multiplayer.

last of all.... half life. absolutely horrible. whats the hype about counter strike. honestly. luckily i only spent 10 bucks on the platinum box.

[quote name='dafoomie']I'm sick and tired of people comparing console fps's and PC fps's. It's apples and oranges. They're different animals. You can't compare them. Of course a PC fps is going to be better. Theres no debate there.[/quote]

If that's true, why play console FPS? I'm not even arguing that consolder FPS are necessarily worse, but with this point of view I'm interested in why you play them at all.

If that's true, why play console FPS? I'm not even arguing that consolder FPS are necessarily worse, but with this point of view I'm interested in why you play them at all.

Because I can hook up 4 controllers and do a 4 player split screen. Or system link. On a console, its easier for people who have never played to jump in and play. PC fps's are better but not better at everything. Also, good console fps's bring enough different things to the table to make them enjoyable. Though the only console fps's I consider to be very good are Goldeneye (and Perfect Dark by extension) and Halo.

They're also different in the way that console rpg's and PC rpg's are. Though neither is necessarily better.

I bought Warcraft III twice, one at $60 new (preordered), Battle Chest for $40.
once while I played it on a computer with lower than minimum requirements, it was so unplayable, and super lagged, played on less than 5 fps, and another time again, then sold it to a classmate for $40 (pretty mint). Then a couple months ago. I actually got to play it, and it wasn't as fun as I thought StarCraft was, or Diablo series mixed together. I thought the idea of a unit having hero abilities were cool, but mostly jerks play it, people who kick you off games for downloading new maps, and the map selection is poor. I just never got the feel of it. I just maybe had a bad experience maybe.. The reviews I read for it were mostly positive ones, the negative ones were very negative, but were few. The demo did make the game seem interesting though, but multiplayer for me was subpar, Age of Mythology was better, IMO.

I agree with just about every game mentioned here as being overhyped, especially FF7, Warcraft 3, and the GC games, but come on Burnout 2? That game is ridiculously fun. Crash mode is great and me and my friend can play pursuit for hours.

i'd also have to say Halo. I started playing the single player, and got to the flood... i played the "The Flood" for days... it was basically me going to the first story of a building and killing everything... go to the elevator.. go to the next story of the building and kill everything... this went on for so many stories, that i just got bored with the game and quit playing it.

i dont know if i'm still in the flood, or something else.. i'm still in the main building that you're in during The Flood. That really killed the game for me, but yes the multiplayer is cool IMO.

I'm getting Halo2 when it comes out, mainly for Xbox Live.

I still love to play Halo through every other month or so. I'm not a casual gamer, have experience with other FPS's, and don't like a bad Xbox game just 'cause it's on the system. So I'm puzzled as to why a lot of ppl on CAG think it's a bad game--when I think the opposite.

[quote name='tyecko']warcraft III multiplayer is some of the best multiplayer gaming out there.[/quote]

The online community sucks though :(. (I've had over 3k Warcraft III wins on Reign of Chaos before The Frozen Throne came out, as well as #1 in 3v3 on US East - my clan has had #1 in 5 of the 6 ladders on Azeroth at one point...too many elitists that ruin the fun of the game)

MGS 2. Based only on word from my friends, i bought the game. What they DIDN"T tell me was they hadn't gotten past the Tanker yet, so we were all surprised to find our selves in control of Meg Ryan in a stealth suite. Also, i felt like i was playing an interactive movie most of the time rather than a video game. I love intricate and ambitious story lines, but not when it brings the game down

bread's done
Back