Games you thought would suck...but didn't

evilpenguin9000

CAGiversary!
This topic is about games you expected to just be godawful, but actually turned out to be pretty good.

For me I expected Def Jam: Fight for NY to blow ass. I was thinking it'd be another lame wrestling title with rappers names attached to sell it. Instead it was really fun.

halo 2 (j/k). i-ninja was seeming too childish for me from the cover, but once i started playing it i was hooked for a couple days.

i remember when my buddy said he was going to run to BB and pick up GTA3 the first day it came out and i said "why do you want to get that game"....

lol...

Blaster Master on the NES. Wow was I suprised.

Harvest Moon was teh big one for me. It's a farm sim, but it friggin' owns.

quackshot for the Genesis and kirby's dream course for the SNES were 2 games I thought would be God awful but turned into very pleasent surprises

I expected nothing from the original Def Jam, but when I played it I was pleasantly surprised. I probably spent a solid 2 weeks playing this game.

With all of the bad reviews it got, I thought Grabbed by the Ghoulies was a bad game. After playing it a little, it was actually pretty fun, or maybe it's because of the $5 price tag.

Alundra on PS1. I went into it thinking "Oh great, another Zelda rip-off." The opening cut-scene for the game didn't help matters. Boy was I wrong, I think it's superior to LoZ:LTTP in almost every way.

I thought Chronicles of Riddick would blow. It was a movie video game after all. Those usually are terrible. But...surprisingly it was a very well crafted game.

Didn't expect much from Alias, but it turned out to be a fun game. I wouldn't call it a great game, but it's fun.

Currently I'm playing Gladius. I didn't like the demo in OXM much so I didn't have high hopes for it, but for some reason I find myself sucked into this one big time. I think the demo throws you too quickly into a massive battle with too many characters on either side (so it takes too long and is confusing) For some reason I really like the "numbers game" of a typical strategy game, I can't really explain what makes it fun but it is for me.

Rocky - you know the boxing game? Who would've thought that it would've been any good? I mean ok...maybe the movies are considered classic (well at least the first one)...but I really found the whole idea to be pretty laughable and merely an attempt to cash in on an old namesake - until a friend dropped by with it shortly after it's release. Much to my surprise there was actually a decent boxing game there! It wasn't earth shattering or anything, but more importantly, it was FUN, and isn't that really what it's all about? In fact, I'll bet Reality's Fringe spent many sleepless nights playing Clubber Lang!! :lol:

[quote name='daikaiju']Rocky - you know the boxing game? Who would've thought that it would've been any good? I mean ok...maybe the movies are considered classic (well at least the first one)...but I really found the whole idea to be pretty laughable and merely an attempt to cash in on an old namesake - until a friend dropped by with it shortly after it's release. Much to my surprise there was actually a decent boxing game there! It wasn't earth shattering or anything, but more importantly, it was FUN, and isn't that really what it's all about? In fact, I'll bet Reality's Fringe spent many sleepless nights playing Clubber Lang!! :lol:[/quote]

I agree with Rocky. I thought for sure it'd be turdriffic, but it was pretty fun. I liked rematching Apollo Creed and Rocky with friends.

Ape Escape when it came out. I was not sold on the idea of using analog. Then I bought a Sony DualShock and then Ape Escape and fell in love.

[quote name='evilpenguin9000'][quote name='daikaiju']Rocky - you know the boxing game? Who would've thought that it would've been any good? I mean ok...maybe the movies are considered classic (well at least the first one)...but I really found the whole idea to be pretty laughable and merely an attempt to cash in on an old namesake - until a friend dropped by with it shortly after it's release. Much to my surprise there was actually a decent boxing game there! It wasn't earth shattering or anything, but more importantly, it was FUN, and isn't that really what it's all about? In fact, I'll bet Reality's Fringe spent many sleepless nights playing Clubber Lang!! :lol:[/quote]

I agree with Rocky. I thought for sure it'd be turdriffic, but it was pretty fun. I liked rematching Apollo Creed and Rocky with friends.[/quote]

Same here, it's a fun game, especially for the $10 price tag that I bought it for.

[quote name='daikaiju']Rocky - you know the boxing game? Who would've thought that it would've been any good? I mean ok...maybe the movies are considered classic (well at least the first one)...but I really found the whole idea to be pretty laughable and merely an attempt to cash in on an old namesake - until a friend dropped by with it shortly after it's release. Much to my surprise there was actually a decent boxing game there! It wasn't earth shattering or anything, but more importantly, it was FUN, and isn't that really what it's all about? In fact, I'll bet Reality's Fringe spent many sleepless nights playing Clubber Lang!! :lol:[/quote]

I picked it up for $8 bucks because, and only because, Clubber was in it. Mr. T has the Bruce Campbell effect; No matter how shitty the source, he can save it from blowing total ass. And let's just say Clubber won the rematch...time and time again. :twisted: 8)

Beyond Good & Evil. When I first heard about it, it looked like another medicore platform/action game with a stupid camera gimmick, but it turned out to be an amazing game.

I also thought Def Jam :FFNY would suck. I had played the first I liked it but it was nothing compared to other wrestling games. I like how the changed it to more of a fighting game.

Ape Escape as well. That game was awesome. I usually don't like platformers because they don't keep my interest for that long, but I was able to beat that one and enjoy every minute.

For those of you who doubted the def jam games, did you not know they were developed by aki corporation?

Anyway, I did not expect much from the Chronicles of Riddick, XIII, 1080 avalanche or Serious Sam next encounter. I really ended up enjoying Riddick and XIII, while 1080 and SS weren't nearly as bad as I expected.

Monkey Ball I thought would be stupid. But, liked the Taarget level. and, I thought Animal Crossing would be....but it seems like a lot of people like it. I haven't played it yet, myself.

KOF Max Impact. I thought it was gonna be another Fatal Fury Wild Ambition, but I was surprised to see the nice graphics and an intresting fighting system. I'm not saying it's the greatest, but I did think it was gonna be worse. Better than Street Fighter EX.

[quote name='Rodimus Donut']KOF Max Impact. I thought it was gonna be another Fatal Fury Wild Ambition, but I was surprised to see the nice graphics and an intresting fighting system. I'm not saying it's the greatest, but I did think it was gonna be worse. Better than Street Fighter EX.[/quote]

Agreed.

I was the same with Mortal Kombat: Deception (I hadn't played Deadly Alliance yet) remembering how bad MK4 was, but I was realy floored by how good it is. - As a neat little side note to Deception I was recently told by a 20+ year martial arts student that the fighting styles in the game are about 90% accurate, his biggest complaints were that Noob stands too high for the monkey stance and Sindels weapon isn't long enough.

the day i bought my xbox i had only enuf money to buy one game. i was gonna go for project gotham but for some reason i opted for halo. yea, i thought game was gonna suk ass but i kept remembering my friends telling me over and over how great it was and that i had to buy it first. not having ever even seen a video or anything about halo b4 i just looked at the cover with a green guy and the other crazy crap and thought it'd b the worst game ever. thankfully i was wrong and halo went on to own my life for the next few weeks at least.

I thought Secret Weapons over Normandy would suck compared to Crimson Skies but the single player mode is actually way better IMO than Crimson Skies.

All my buds told me that Jak II was waaay too hard and that it was poorly made (probly due to frustration). I picked it up at target and I love it! Games that kick my ass rock, because once you beat them you feel that much better.

I can only hope that someone will find a deal on Jak III...

I thought Serious Sam for Xbox would blow ass because I saw a few copies of the PC one when it came on on bargain. Also since I played a lot of "realistic" FPS, I thought from a review I read that said it was super cel-shaded over the previous one, I that this Xbox version was going to be like how the House of the Dead 3 gone wrong.

I only chose this game because it was on the Winter 2003 EB Games coupon flyer (where I regret not using the $20 gift voucher to get BloodRayne free after MIR.) for only $10 after a $10 instant rebate.

However, when I bought it, (good 05 version) I thought to myself this game ain't too bad. I should of gave more games like this a try (maybe a rent), and thats what I do now, instead of just reading for reviews.

[quote name='peteloaf'][quote name='Rodimus Donut']KOF Max Impact. I thought it was gonna be another Fatal Fury Wild Ambition, but I was surprised to see the nice graphics and an intresting fighting system. I'm not saying it's the greatest, but I did think it was gonna be worse. Better than Street Fighter EX.[/quote]

Agreed.

I was the same with Mortal Kombat: Deception (I hadn't played Deadly Alliance yet) remembering how bad MK4 was, but I was realy floored by how good it is. - As a neat little side note to Deception I was recently told by a 20+ year martial arts student that the fighting styles in the game are about 90% accurate, his biggest complaints were that Noob stands too high for the monkey stance and Sindels weapon isn't long enough.[/quote]

Deadly Alliance was the same way. Since MK4 was crap I thought the MK series could never regain what it once had. But it was very good. However the fatalities weren't that good.

bread's done
Back