Games

Status
Not open for further replies.
[quote name='omster']Would I be able to PM this at GameStop? The closet EB to me is 22 miles and I can't drive AND my parent would never take me that far "just for a game".[/QUOTE]

they never PM trade in deals

[quote name='jrbernal83']The computer says it is in Streetwise magazine. I have no idea how to get it? im sure someone will post it soon[/QUOTE]

My EB's computer system said "Coupon" and nothing about streetwise. They had no idea where to get it or where it came from

[quote name='KongaKing']My EB's computer system said "Coupon" and nothing about streetwise. They had no idea where to get it or where it came from[/QUOTE]

I remember someone a couple days ago say that they edited the promotion. On friday it said streetwise coupon

[quote name='Zelos689']YES! Mwahaha! It worked!

I traded in Dragonball Z: Legacy of Goku, Lord of the Rings: The Fellowship of the Ring, and NES Classics Zelda II: The Adventure of Link for the Dachshund version without a hitch! The guy looked it up in the computer, found it, and was able to do it without any coupon or anything (never even mentioned one). He had to manually raise the prices himself, but that was the only problem. I also bought Kirby Canvas Curse while I was there, making my DS collection 6 complete games plus one demo, and come the 23rd, 7 complete games plus one demo!

Best. Deal. Ever.[/QUOTE]

Yes, I had the same experience today. He even called someone higher up and found out the way to do it is to manually adjust the prices - no mention of a coupon. I made sure to call first and they knew about the deal, which is key. At another EB they didn't have any info on it and said the computer would handle it automatically - we know THAT doesn't work, so Ill avoid that EB for now. As long as they know about the deal, know when it started (the 29th) and know there are no restrictions on the GBA games, you have a pretty good shot of getting the deal.

The guy at the second EB had all of that info right in front of him - after about a 5 minute hiccup with the computer not doing the deal automaticaly, I was out the door with my preorder slip. I turned about $12 in GBA games from Gamerush into a Nintendogs preorder - sweet! I only wish I had thought to bring 3 PO PS2/GC games in, though, because they had a sealed GT4 right on the counter...

[quote name='jrbernal83']NO not just my eb salary, IM still collecting unemployment until Jan and my wife works...I have 2 kids, Im just pissed cause someone, if not most of you are abusing this to get the game. If you are, dont tell them about me, I only told you guys about the deal. DONT KILL THE MESSENGER
doesnt anybody do the right thing nowadays[/QUOTE]

jrbernal83, I don't think anyone here wants to see you get hurt by this - your info has been very valuable. When I did the deal today no coupon was mentioned by me or the EB clerk. Even if he had, I certainly wouldn't have mentioned you as the reason to override it! Only a complete moron would do that (something about biting the hand that feeds you, etc). I certainly hope no regular CAG person would do that. Though I, for one, had no idea where you worked or what your real name is so it is a bit strange that it would come back to you like that...

[quote name='jrbernal83']PLEASE stop forcing employees of eb to do this deal for you without coupon, just follow the rules and get the coupon...my job is on the line..I had someone call the local mall and say that I told them to overide for the promotion cosidering that I NEVER said that...NOW i am on the brink of losing my job...stop abusing this or i will lose my job. My DM has received calles from the Chicago area about me also. I have a family to think about here! The whole state of WI thinks im telling people to force the promotion, and some of the chicago area....[/QUOTE]
dude, what are you talking about? how would they(eb) even know its you?

[quote name='jrbernal83']NO not just my eb salary, IM still collecting unemployment until Jan and my wife works...I have 2 kids, Im just pissed cause someone, if not most of you are abusing this to get the game. If you are, dont tell them about me, I only told you guys about the deal. DONT KILL THE MESSENGER
doesnt anybody do the right thing nowadays[/QUOTE]
you posted nothing about a coupon, and you were boasting about getting in on the deal, so by your own definition you abused it.

im not saying it dosent suck that youre in hot water, because it does, and im sorry that you are, but dont blame us, were not calling EB and saying "jrbernal83 from cag said to override" (at least i would hope no one is...)

so again, how did you get in trouble with this?

[quote name='punqsux']were not calling EB and saying "jrbernal83 from cag said to override"[/QUOTE]
My thoughts exactly.

[quote name='punqsux']dude, what are you talking about? how would they(eb) even know its you?[/QUOTE]
It's not that hard to extrapolate his name from his username. Perhaps someone put 2+2 together.

[quote name='WhipSmartBanky']It's not that hard to extrapolate his name from his username. Perhaps someone put 2+2 together.[/QUOTE]
in that case you had better stop posting such amazing deals from down at the cracker factory

[quote name='punqsux']you posted nothing about a coupon, and you were boasting about getting in on the deal, so by your own definition you abused it. [/QUOTE]

I don't mean to gang up on the OP, but I can also vouch he stated nothing about a coupon in his original post.

ok at the eb i preordered this at checked the system to see if u needed a coupon and they couldnt find any. Btw I asked if there needed to be a coupon of any kind, so maybe only in certain places u need this coupon....

says the almighty MOD shrike4242-""Nor is spreading inside deal information to other sites, such as GameFAQs, when it's someone on CAG, with inside information, posting it for us to get a jump on.

It was very moronic to post something like than on GameFAQs, and something that shows exactly what I should tell Cheapy to do with you.

Not a smart move. I'm thinking it's your last.""

I guess even though the OP goofed and failed to mention the coupon that holds many of us back - by my posting on the GAMEFAQS forums and giving CAG and Cheapy credit for this sweet deal I AM IN THE WRONG AND AM BEING HUNTED BY THE MOD because he is uber leet and cryin that maybe someone else may get the sweet deals that he has been reaping.....wait - isnt that the whole point of this site? to tell others of incredible cheap-ass deals....so i didnt do anything wrong - it was oh so right - man what a terrible place this has become

see the weird thing is - its my site as well as yours and every other CAG on here - without users the site doesnt exist - sure - im hated by some and not fond of others but I did no wrong - I brought in many that were not aware of what this site is and now know its greatness - now we have that many more eyes out for deals - im not leaving - I enjoy the boards and the info and the community for the most part - but when I get a MOD yelling at my like a crybaby about how his little "inside info" was spoiled I have to say WTF does Cheapy have this guy as a MOD - this aint the pentagon and I aint Richard Nixon..its gamesand the many cheapassdeals to be had - grow the fuck up people.....

[quote name='MANIMAL']see the weird thing is - its my site as well as yours and every other CAG on here - without users the site doesnt exist - sure - im hated by some and not fond of others but I did no wrong - I brought in many that were not aware of what this site is and now know its greatness - now we have that many more eyes out for deals - im not leaving - I enjoy the boards and the info and the community for the most part - but when I get a MOD yelling at my like a crybaby about how his little "inside info" was spoiled I have to say WTF does Cheapy have this guy as a MOD - this aint the pentagon and I aint Richard Nixon..its gamesand the many cheapassdeals to be had - grow the fuck up people.....[/QUOTE]
Thing is, YOU posted the deal on GameFAQs as your own with no credit to CAG whatsoever until several posts later. When asked for a link, you just said "CAG" with no link. Someone else chimed in with a credit back to the site and the OP.

EBGAMES - free NINTENDOGS
From: Manimal1977 | Posted: 7/29/2005 2:19:26 AM | Message Detail
trade 3 GBA carts....any 3........did u hear me ANY3 and get nintendogs for free
---
XBL:MANIMAL
Don't try to take credit for "spreading the word." Jackass.

Please help. Anyone have the link to the trade-in any 3 GBA games for Nintendogs? I was at local EB (Wynnewood - near Philly) and at first they did not know of deal. I was told there was a coupon needed through 'streetwise' (streetwise.com). Cannot find link. This is awesome deal. Much help appreciated.

It shouldnt be any employees fault that there is a flaw in the ebgames system, it seems like there is some kind of flaw here maybe one that ebgames does not want to admit and is blaming on their employees. There could also be a flaw with the whole coupon idea, there is no coupon as of now cause the ebgames street team does not exist, and the latest update to the ebgames flyer relating to the street team was in june.

They are either coming up with a MASSIVE GBA pox list

Editing the promotion so you have to have the coupon

I was told honestly by an ebgames employee of which name i will not mention that i could come in and trade in any 3 gba games and get 30$ toward a preorder on one of the versions of nintendogs. If that is what i am told then that is what the deal is, whether or not it works in the ebgames system is a problem with ebgames not me, i am doing exactly what i was told on the phone. If an employee wants to give me the deal (which we dont even know all the details of at this time) in whatever way they want to then its fine by me, i am sure if an employee performs a task at ebgames then its legit. Nothing was mentioned to me about a coupon.

I did not do the deal yet cause i couldnt get down to the ebgames before 5pm when they closed, also i would be trading games from my collection so i wouldnt blatantly be ripping them off by buying 4.99 and 5.99 games at ebgames and then trading them in to get the nintendogs preorder.

BTW ebgames could probably get away with charging a lot more for their used gba games, i probably shouldnt mention that here though, lol. I have not seen gamecrazy charge less than 12.99 for ANY used gba game and most of the used gba games there are 24.99 each. Gamestop charges a lot too for used gba games, so in effect ebgames is charging equal to or less than half of what the other stores are charging for used gba games. I dont know about gamerush because i havent seen one here yet.

I finally checked the promotion in the system. You do need a coupon. It mentions the Streetwise coupon in the heading and in the end of the paragraph, basically saying a coupon is required.

I'm guessing if an employee is doing this manually they can't read very well. It really is going to be a YMMV sort of thing, but a coupon really is required.

Well as soon as someone sees this coupon, tell us. Until then, I will do my best to get the deal without a damn coupon.

what i dont like are the people using this deal to cash in on other games... something just doesn't seem right about that. the deal is to trade in 3 gba games for nintendogs... not 3 gba games for $30 credit... ah well.

[quote name='SAGExSDX']what i dont like are the people using this deal to cash in on other games... something just doesn't seem right about that. the deal is to trade in 3 gba games for nintendogs... not 3 gba games for $30 credit... ah well.[/QUOTE]

Wow, this thread has gotten very interesting with all these ethical debates.

1) How private or public should our community be

2) Is it OK to take advantage of faults in a major bureaucratic institution

On Manimal's offense, I don't have much to say . . . better to keep our community tight and small but some of his "converts" (people who become involved because they find out about CAG could be major contributors).

On the question of "flipping" I'm pretty interested. I'm a major flipper . . . if I can buy a $5 game (esp. if there is more than one copy) and get $10 (in credit because most of the preorder games . . . say, Madden . . . don't interest me) I will do it. Oddly, I love EB so much because I hate EB so much. Personally, I think they ripoff most of their customers and the customers do trades because can't do any better.

But this isn't the only part to my trades. Mostly, I don't feel bad because I feel I'm getting a finder's fee by turning in non-PO games that are in new condition at my local store. When I took a $5 Siren and got $11.33 for it, I was adding that game to the shelf and someone with EB credit could buy it . . . I increased the selection. I didn't get $10 in cash . . . I got a committment to spend $10 at EB which actually increases their volume.

Where it gets tricker and murkier ethically is when one flips games directly at the store itself. So, you buy a $5 game and then trade it in for $10 in credit and buy the $5 game and then trade it in for credit . . . this crosses an ethical line even for me :)

Alot of instore flipping will bring the deal crashing to a halt (for everyone). This appears to be what happened with the PSP game deal . . . but we had pretty good info that it was employees themselves who really exploited it.

PLUS: the OP's story (honestly hope it works out for him) sounds like it could be a TV movie . . . fuck EB if they get down on him for posting here.

I don't know if this point has been brought up or not.

For those of you who think that it is ripping EB off to trade in 3 $3.99 games for a $30 game, what do you think of EB paying some 8 year old kid $1.50 in store credit for a game they are going to sell for $10?

[quote name='MANIMAL']see the weird thing is - its my site as well as yours and every other CAG on here - without users the site doesnt exist - sure - im hated by some and not fond of others but I did no wrong - I brought in many that were not aware of what this site is and now know its greatness - now we have that many more eyes out for deals - im not leaving - I enjoy the boards and the info and the community for the most part - but when I get a MOD yelling at my like a crybaby about how his little "inside info" was spoiled I have to say WTF does Cheapy have this guy as a MOD - this aint the pentagon and I aint Richard Nixon..its gamesand the many cheapassdeals to be had - grow the fuck up people.....[/QUOTE]

God, can we just get him banned? Let him have his gamefaqs.

[quote name='schultzed']Wow, this thread has gotten very interesting with all these ethical debates.

1) How private or public should our community be

2) Is it OK to take advantage of faults in a major bureaucratic institution

On Manimal's offense, I don't have much to say . . . better to keep our community tight and small but some of his "converts" (people who become involved because they find out about CAG could be major contributors).

On the question of "flipping" I'm pretty interested. I'm a major flipper . . . if I can buy a $5 game (esp. if there is more than one copy) and get $10 (in credit because most of the preorder games . . . say, Madden . . . don't interest me) I will do it. Oddly, I love EB so much because I hate EB so much. Personally, I think they ripoff most of their customers and the customers do trades because can't do any better.

But this isn't the only part to my trades. Mostly, I don't feel bad because I feel I'm getting a finder's fee by turning in non-PO games that are in new condition at my local store. When I took a $5 Siren and got $11.33 for it, I was adding that game to the shelf and someone with EB credit could buy it . . . I increased the selection. I didn't get $10 in cash . . . I got a committment to spend $10 at EB which actually increases their volume.

Where it gets tricker and murkier ethically is when one flips games directly at the store itself. So, you buy a $5 game and then trade it in for $10 in credit and buy the $5 game and then trade it in for credit . . . this crosses an ethical line even for me :)

Alot of instore flipping will bring the deal crashing to a halt (for everyone). This appears to be what happened with the PSP game deal . . . but we had pretty good info that it was employees themselves who really exploited it.[/QUOTE]

PLUS the OP's story (honestly, hope it works out for him) sounds like it could be a TV movie :)

wow im glad my eb let me do it without the coupon cause im giving1 of my versions to my moms birthday and another to my twin brother. I cant imagine ripping them by buying a 3$ GBA games. Also at my EB i asked about the coupon in the thing he didnt have a clue 0_o. btw i Traded games like sword of Mana (which is very good) so its not like there getting bad games ^_^

[quote name='MANIMAL'] I brought in many that were not aware of what this site is and now know its greatness [/QUOTE]

Did you bring them in to get in on the deals, or to be able to scam them later in the trading forum?

Dave

Well, either my EBGames doesn't have the deal, or the 2 salespeople I got were fucking idiots.

They didn't have it in the computer apparantly so no deal for me. Oh well, it's only 30 bucks. No biggie.

Has anyone tried this deal today? I want to get another copy of this for my wife, but I would rather not go to EB today if they are not running the deal.

[quote name='sixersballernum3']Well, either my EBGames doesn't have the deal, or the 2 salespeople I got were fucking idiots.

They didn't have it in the computer apparantly so no deal for me. Oh well, it's only 30 bucks. No biggie.[/QUOTE]

Sales people = idiots ala most ebs

An 8 year old kid isnt allowed to trade anything in at ebgames without consent of a parent or guardian, they follow this pretty strictly so if the parent consented to the 1.50 trade in value then its their stupidity not mine, also for most trade in's they require ID on the first time you trade in, then they put you into their system so they dont have to keep logging info, if you look close to the age of 18 they might require ID as proof of age.

If you want to flip games at least buy them at another store (or if you have to at the same ebgames), take them home for a day and take all the stickers off, then maybe the next day take them back for the trade in and get a different employee to do the transaction, this way they cant say you are "flipping" games.

I wouldnt go into an ebgames and buy games and then immediatly trade them in in the same visit, thats bad and thats whats gonna make all these promotions end for the rest of us, they wont have trade in deals like this, they will just give you your .25 or whatever the game is worth in their system.

I am a very honest person and i can tell you there is nothing wrong with using a good deal as its supposed to be used, if they say ANY gba game, then it means any gba game, thats their policy on the deal. I cannot tell you how many times ive gotten discounts just because some idiot employee in the store slapped the wrong price sticker on something, or some idiot put the wrong shelf tag on, or some idiot at the register handed me more change than i was supposed to get back (of course if it was a significant amount of money like 50$ i would return it). If the stores want to hire employees that cannot count change and cannot put the right stickers on something then its their problem and not mine.

If its a small amount of change over (usually a couple of dollars) i am not gonna go back and return it cause i would have to wait in a huge line at the customer service and all they would do is take the money no thank you's or thank you for being honest or anything, its a dog eat dog world out there (no pun intended) and you have to be competitive with it.

If there is a glitch in a company's computer then its not my fault, when i worked at kmart we had a bunch of items that were ringing up as a penny, (it was obviously a mistake in the computer) and if someone brought one up we gave it to them for a penny cause if it rings up at a lower price we have to give it to them at that price. As employees we also bought many of the 1 cent items and no one said anything, it was making the cusomters quite happy for a while!!!

[quote name='sabin23']Yeah, you're picking up Nintendogs for the "wife."

just kidding, Snake. I'm getting a copy myself even though it seems a girly type of game (not that there's anything wrong with that).[/QUOTE]

[quote name='MaxBiaggi2']Sure, go ahead and get your feminine game cheap, you economic girly man. :D[/QUOTE]

Yiou guys are both cracking me up.

I would have never seen either of these posts though. I dont check on weekends and then I come back to a 21 page mess and I am not waisting my time reading all the posts..

[quote name='sixersballernum3']Well, either my EBGames doesn't have the deal, or the 2 salespeople I got were fucking idiots.

They didn't have it in the computer apparantly so no deal for me. Oh well, it's only 30 bucks. No biggie.[/QUOTE]

So because the sale was not in the computer their idiots? Wow.

[quote name='Chris in Cali']I'm going to try and trade in my Xbox and 3 games today for $100. On EB's website it says the deal ended yesterday, so I hope it still works.[/QUOTE]
Don't forget that for a week in August (7th? I'm not sure, it was in the original post but that has since been changed) trading in the Xbox or PS2 and three games gets you forty extra dollars for the trade in. I would assume that that'll at least add up to $100, but from what I understand it might be a little more.

[quote name='Chris in Cali']You're supporting your family on an EBGames salary? You can make that money anywhere, so don't act like you're losing your corporate position at Microsoft or some shit.

Second of all, if you didn't do anything wrong you have nothing to worry about. There's something fishy about this post.[/QUOTE]

Dude, have a little compassion for the guy, he posted the deal, and he's getting shit from corporate for his actions.

As far as I can tell he's just asking us to not quote him as the source.

He would not be the first CAG'r fired for posting a deal on this board. The people at corporate will have realised their mistake by now and are trying to move the blame elsewhere.

The one thing I agree with the poster is, get a better job, get a better education, working retail is just a dead end job.

I just talked to the manager at my EB, which I frequent often, and he said he is gonna be on the phone with the DM or something I didn't understand, so he said to call him back at noon, so that may bring some new news our way. Also, he mentioned a conference call at 3, and to call him at 4ish, he was gonna bring up this with the people he was gonna talk to. This is all mountain time, so 2 Eastern for the first bit, if any, news, and then 6 PM Eastern for the news from the conference call. It may be later for the second bit, I have work at that time, so when I get home afterwards, I'll post any news.

And we wait....:drool:

[quote name='mrbendude']he mentioned a conference call at 3, and to call him at 4ish, he was gonna bring up this with the people he was gonna talk to.[/QUOTE]

I imagine that working retail in any store (even a games shop) would be a king-size PITA, and the manager has got to put up with ignorant customers, uncaring minimum wage workers, etc. Still, it must be neat to be in on conference calls to discuss all the latest deals, promotions, etc.

Even then, I don't know if being a manager would make working there any better.

Traded in Xevious, Tony Hawk Pro Skater 2, and Max Payne for Nintendogs Chihuahua edition. Yo quiero to get rid of the GBA games I'll never play again. Gracias OP.

Edit: No coupon asked for, cartridges only, I had to pay tax, and it was at White Flint Mall in the aforementioned Rockville, MD. He said there was something funky with the SKUs but I didn't understand the details.

[quote name='Follandboy']I don't know if this point has been brought up or not.

For those of you who think that it is ripping EB off to trade in 3 $3.99 games for a $30 game, what do you think of EB paying some 8 year old kid $1.50 in store credit for a game they are going to sell for $10?[/QUOTE]
:roll:

Status
Not open for further replies.
bread's done
Back