Gamespot's Red Steel Review

[quote name='VanillaGorilla']Did anyone honestly think Red Steel was gonna be a killer app?[/quote]I didn't but I also didn't expect it to be horrible. I expected 7.0 range x-box gameplay(the original not 360) with the controller added in.

[quote name='Ikohn4ever']maybe if this wasnt this guy's FIRST review I'd put more credit into it, he usually only does editorials....[/QUOTE]

Is it really? Maybe that's why it's so opinionated. He really feels anti Wii in the review. Kinda sucks. I wish some more reviews would show up. Seems kinda ridiculous since I got the call on Wed. that I could pick up the game. One would think there would be more reviews out already. Guess they're all playing Zelda.
-G

Gamespot in general seems to be rating wii games lower. I have the game here, unopened.. but that could change, could exchange it for trauma center, or something else. Maybe another wii+nunchuk

[quote name='simplygriff']Is it really? Maybe that's why it's so opinionated. He really feels anti Wii in the review. Kinda sucks. I wish some more reviews would show up. Seems kinda ridiculous since I got the call on Wed. that I could pick up the game. One would think there would be more reviews out already. Guess they're all playing Zelda.
-G[/QUOTE]

GregK has contributed nothing, absolutely nothing to GameSpot. Well, that's not entirely true, since GregK has done us the service of registering this account and generating this blank page. Three cheers for GregK!

this is under the review part

Uhhhh, this isn't Greg Kasavin's first review, people. He's GameSpot's #1 reviews guy, and someone who gave Metroid Prime a 9.7. But he's still Anti-Nintendo, right?

[quote name='VanillaGorilla']Uhhhh, this isn't Greg Kasavin's first review, people. He's GameSpot's #1 reviews guy, and someone who gave Metroid Prime a 9.7. But he's still Anti-Nintendo, right?[/QUOTE]

well you are right on that, but none of that shit is listed under his profile, so how am I supposed to know

[quote name='Ikohn4ever']maybe if this wasnt this guy's FIRST review I'd put more credit into it, he usually only does editorials....[/QUOTE]
If you paid attention to an earlier post in this thread you would have noticed he has reviewed games before. As someone pointed out he did review Perfect Dark Zero. Of course he has done more reviews but I'm not going to dig around for them.

Ugh - EDGE magazine's reviews just got released and Red Steel got a 5/10. They are really hard reviewers but still, I am seriously reconsidering just renting instead of buying. Maybe I'll switch to Rayman instead...

[quote name='trip1eX']The GS reviewer had to balance out the 9.0 he gave PDZ for the 360.[/quote]

That's all that needs to be said. Don't trust this review.

[quote name='VanillaGorilla']Uhhhh, this isn't Greg Kasavin's first review, people. He's GameSpot's #1 reviews guy, and someone who gave Metroid Prime a 9.7. But he's still Anti-Nintendo, right?[/QUOTE]

he gave metroid prime a 9.7? definitely not as high as 9.7 in my book, good to know that I disagree with him about other games...

what the fuck, gamespot? is everyone going to rate Wii games in comparison with 360/ps3? It's not the same!

[quote name='onikage']That's all that needs to be said. Don't trust this review.[/quote]So, because he reviewed 1 game that he liked, and some others didn't, all his subsequent reviews shouldn't be taken seriously? The majority opinion from reviews so far is that the game sucks, stop trying to make excuses.

Hmm its funny to me how 10 other websites all agree and then theres gamespot with the low arse scores.

I was expectinga 6-ish. Gamespot's Wii reviews have seemed overly critical, especially in the graphics department, as if they were expecting outta nowhere PS3 graphics.

[quote name='VanillaGorilla']So, because he reviewed 1 game that he liked, and some others didn't, all his subsequent reviews shouldn't be taken seriously? The majority opinion from reviews so far is that the game sucks, stop trying to make excuses.[/quote]

I'm not making excuses, maybe the game does suck. But anyone who gave PD0 a 9 out of 10 shouldn't be taken seriously, it was pure shit.

[quote name='Ikohn4ever']maybe if this wasnt this guy's FIRST review I'd put more credit into it, he usually only does editorials....[/quote]
You looked under the user review tab of his profile. Why would his official reviews for the site appear there?

http://www.gamespot.com/misc/editorial.html

He's the executive editor and reviews a lot of the bigger titles. Recently, he gave Trauma Center SO an 8, Resistance an 8.6, and Genji a 6.4.

I love how people are discrediting his review because of one of the many reviews he's done before. Like disagreeing on one review means his opinion isn't trustworthy. It seems like people can't handle these games getting anything less than great scores.

Gamespot has been really picky with the Wii. I never agreed with their reviews much anyways, so it's all good. I do a general overall survey of all the reviews and work from there.

Hopefully Gametrailers puts up a review soon. They seem fairly objective (if there is such a thing), and it helps to actually see the game in motion.

[quote name='Zoglog']saw this score coming a mile away after the previews said they didn't fix many of the control issues since E3.[/quote]I thought every preview said the controls were remarkably different than E3?

The controls weren't the problem in many reviews, anyway. Mostly graphics and AI.

Listen, don't let reviews change your mind about a game. If you were on the fence to begin with then wait for some more reviews, wait for the rest of our impressions over the next few days, or give it a rent. If you were excited about this game, then pick it up and enjoy it. It already has had several good to very good reviews. The game was built for the Wii so its different then other FPS. Reviewers are paid to be critical and many of them have their own ideas of what a game should be. It comes down to preference, some people have really loved how the game controls and some hate it. When I play a game I don't care how it compares to other games, I base it on my enjoyment of the game. If the controls are broken and constantly hinder your enjoyment of the game than that it was one thing, but if it takes me 15 minutes to get used to them and then I don't think about it again then its a non issue. The major complaint seems to be the speed of turning and looking around the environment. Now if you constantly die as a result of the game not working right then this game deserves this review. If the situations and enemies are built around this control decision then game is fine.

I'm not a FPS nut, but I chose this as one of my first 3 games because it offers a very different experience then Zelda and Madden. It looks like its a lot of fun too. I remember after goldeneye, every similar game got trashed. Mission Impossible got terrible reviews almost across the board because it wasn't goldeneye, I enjoyed the hell out of that game. Bottom line is, if you are a FPS fan then you are lucky because we are living in the golden age right now, there are so many excellent games. Red Steel looks to be a flawed but very fun game Isn't that what its all about? I guess we'll know better tomorrow.

Gametrailers' review of Red Steel seems quite balanced to me. They lay out the pros and cons quite well. Anyone upset over the gamespot review should check it out. Thanks for the link Titan.

[quote name='Squall835']Gametrailers' review of Red Steel seems quite balanced to me. They lay out the pros and cons quite well. Anyone upset over the gamespot review should check it out. Thanks for the link Titan.[/quote]Yeah, I need to start watching their reviews more often. It's nice being able to see what they're referring to as they're talking about it.

Really, everyone has similar complaints, they are just weighed differently by different viewers. It will be an extremely hit or miss game. I feel a little better about it, though.

[quote name='botticus']Yeah, I need to start watching their reviews more often. It's nice being able to see what they're referring to as they're talking about it.

Really, everyone has similar complaints, they are just weighed differently by different viewers. It will be an extremely hit or miss game. I feel a little better about it, though.[/quote] Same here after reading GS review I was like wtf, then after seeing the GT review, I feel alot better about preordering it because GT said it wasn't that bad while GS made it to be a pile of garbage.

Ouch.

Looks like I'll only be playing Zelda and VC games for a while.

(Red Steel may be a decent Christmas present to ask for though :whistle2:k)

[quote name='botticus']I thought every preview said the controls were remarkably different than E3?

The controls weren't the problem in many reviews, anyway. Mostly graphics and AI.[/QUOTE]

ah, the 1up preview said the aiming control was janky (especially in 4 player split screen)

[quote name='FriskyTanuki']It seems like people can't handle these games getting anything less than great scores.[/QUOTE]

THANK YOU!!!

The hype surrounding these games is amazing.

[quote name='Zoglog']ah, the 1up preview said the aiming control was janky (especially in 4 player split screen)[/QUOTE]

I could definately see the 4-player split screen being a disaster with the Wiimotes.

I saw that coming a mile a way, they had two many screen renders for show but when they showed game play on 1up it looked like a high res Goldeneye which would be fine if today was 11 years ago. Either way I'll rent the game and see for myself.

[quote name='lordwow']I could definately see the 4-player split screen being a disaster with the Wiimotes.[/QUOTE]

Exactly, people bumping into each other, it could be fun to call fouls on people.

Yeah, yeah, I know, I know..."I'm entitled to..."

"...spend my money however I like!"
"...my own opinion!"
"...tell Gamespot to piss off!"

Whatever. All I know is that if you pay anything close to full price for this game, or hell, even play it, you are a SUCKER. And you've got really s***ty tastes.

Man honestly can those who are saying "Blah blah its all so hyped shut up about all the games not getting a 10 blah blah" Its not that, if all the reviewers gave the game a 5.5 or something around there then obviously it's not that great a game and it would be accepted, even though some might be disappointed. But when its like 30% below the average or whatever it is, then we should be allowed to think gamespot is being gay since they have done this with other games already.

bread's done
Back