gamestop: Always ask if you are getting charged a refurb fee

unknownthreat

CAGiversary!
I went to gamestop today to trade in 5 games and the lady charged me a $9.00 refurb fee! I didn't notice until I got in the car. When I was trading, she didn't tell me she was charging me a refurb fee. I went back and ask her about it and she told me she saw a few scratches on the disk! First time I ever got a refurb fee from gs. Out of the 5 games, she charged me a refurb fee on batman, himan and bully. You know what the funny thing is. Those three games I got in the gamestop buy 2 get 1 free so I think as soon as she saw the used stickers, she charged the fee. All three games work fine and when I bought them, they already had a few scratches on them. I told her how they had scratches when I bought them and she said I should have check before I bought them for scratches but used games from gs always have scratches! This blows. I hate that lady so damn much. Of course, I asked for a refund or something and nothing could be done. If I went to the other gamestop (farther away but closer to my school) I always go to, I wouldn't have been charged. Can't believe she doesn't realize the tivs of games are horrible and charging a refurb fee only makes it that much more worst. Hitman minus 2.00 refurb fee equals 5.00 tiv.

So next time you go to a gamestop with someone you're not familiar with, ask them if they are charging you a refurb fee when you are trading in your games. I never had to but after today, I will have to even if I know the employee. If they are, go to another gamestop. I hate that lady and I will never go to that gamestop again.

/rant

[quote name='Brian9824']Or just look at your receipt before agreeing to trade...[/QUOTE]

The OP's right, ask before signing the agreement.

The stores I've traded games in at don't tell if you get a refurb. fee until after the transaction. They usually just scan the games, tell you how much you'll get & ask you to sign the agreement.

[quote name='nakedninja']why even deal with gamespot?[/QUOTE]
if you play things right, you can get the better of them, or at least make things fair.
I traded in 5 games today, one of them was L4D2. I bought it at gamestop.com on Black Friday for $40. Traded it in today and got $48

[quote name='unknownthreat']I went to gamestop today to trade in 5 games and the lady charged me a $9.00 refurb fee! I didn't notice until I got in the car. When I was trading, she didn't tell me she was charging me a refurb fee. I went back and ask her about it and she told me she saw a few scratches on the disk! First time I ever got a refurb fee from gs. Out of the 5 games, she charged me a refurb fee on batman, himan and bully. You know what the funny thing is. Those three games I got in the gamestop buy 2 get 1 free so I think as soon as she saw the used stickers, she charged the fee. All three games work fine and when I bought them, they already had a few scratches on them. I told her how they had scratches when I bought them and she said I should have check before I bought them for scratches but used games from gs always have scratches! This blows. I hate that lady so damn much. Of course, I asked for a refund or something and nothing could be done. If I went to the other gamestop (farther away but closer to my school) I always go to, I wouldn't have been charged. Can't believe she doesn't realize the tivs of games are horrible and charging a refurb fee only makes it that much more worst. Hitman minus 2.00 refurb fee equals 5.00 tiv.

So next time you go to a gamestop with someone you're not familiar with, ask them if they are charging you a refurb fee when you are trading in your games. I never had to but after today, I will have to even if I know the employee. If they are, go to another gamestop. I hate that lady and I will never go to that gamestop again.

/rant[/QUOTE]
they will charge you even if its the littest of scratches some employees are bastards and will charge you if its not like new condition, be sure to speak up and argue your case usually when I worked there I would let them have it or tell them that they are getting charged. call the district manager and complain and cancel your preorders on them!

You get the receipt after the transaction is over, after you sign your name. After that, there is nothing you can do. You have to ask them if they are charging you a refurb fee, otherwise they won't tell you. The only thing they tell you is the final price of all the trades so I had no idea the refurb fee was in it already.

[quote name='darkslime']OP you are retarded. Look at the receipt first.[/QUOTE]

A little harsh? Not all gamestops give you a paper receipt to sign. All of the GS stores around here have you sign on the screen, never giving you a chance to review it for yourself. Only after the transaction is complete do you get a physical copy to look at, and by that time it's too late.

I'm lucky my GameStops are not spawned from hell as most of the other ones I hear about are. The employees I talk to always tell me exactly what I'm getting and I usually never get hit with an unreasonable refurb fee. I have never even heard of a $2 refurb on a $7 trade-in before.

Yet another reason to sell your games rather than trade them in when you don't want them anymore. I was in a GS today and a kid wanted to trade in two older games and they only wanted to give him $7 for the pair and he was going to trade them in but his dad said he would buy the kid what he wanted and sell the used games on ebay himself and get more for them.

Beat them at their game. Buy a used game and check for scratches. If any, ask why they weren't refurbished if there's a policy like that.

[quote name='DPsx7']Beat them at their game. Buy a used game and check for scratches. If any, ask why they weren't refurbished if there's a policy like that.[/QUOTE]

LOL I've done that before on games I've traded in myself that I've been charged refurb fees on. I usually got nailed on scratches on the disc(even though 70-90% of Rapestop's inventory is scratched crap), so I'd mark the disc with perm. marker on the black part someplace(it'd show up shiny under light) and put a mark on the coverart someplace too.

I'd come back in 2-3 days later and ask to buy the game and call them out for not sending the game out to be refurbed. Douchebag motherfuckers just looking for anywhere to charge a fee.

What's also wierd is they charge you a refurb fee if they have to disc doctor the game but if you try to trade in a game that you already disc doctored they give you a hard time about it. I always check my discs before leaving the store for disc doctor marks and bring them right back to the counter for exchange when I find one. If they won't take mine, I'm not taking theirs.

they tried to charge me a refurb fee over a game i bought from them and was trading in again, catch is, i never even got to put the game in my 360 lol. fucking ridiculous.

[quote name='IAmTheCheapestGamer']LOL I've done that before on games I've traded in myself that I've been charged refurb fees on. I usually got nailed on scratches on the disc(even though 70-90% of Rapestop's inventory is scratched crap), so I'd mark the disc with perm. marker on the black part someplace(it'd show up shiny under light) and put a mark on the coverart someplace too.

I'd come back in 2-3 days later and ask to buy the game and call them out for not sending the game out to be refurbed. Douchebag motherfuckers just looking for anywhere to charge a fee.[/QUOTE]You've got too much time on your hands...

bread's done
Back