Gamestop buying games for 50% more credits starting Thursday

Status
Not open for further replies.

pera

CAG Veteran
Starting Thursday for those have that power reward card (silver one)
and Friday for those who do not have those cards.

I went into local gamestop today to sell old games, but the employee told me that they are going to have 50% more promotion starting tomorrow. I called the another local gamestop and he told me that it will be tomorrow (thursday) for power reward members and Friday for general public.

good luck :)

[quote name='StripesOrBars']lol, the funny thing is, the idiots are actually gonna swarm to this pseudo deal.

it drives me crazy knowing people are too stupid to sell their stuff for what its worth.[/QUOTE]I'm with you. I am happy that I officially stopped doing business with GameSuck today, after the last in a series of rather pointless attempts to deal with their inept customer disservice. Their trade-in values, promos and overall corporate attitude are just sheer crap. The PUD card or whatever it is called has been a joke from day one. They email you bonuses that they quickly take away or to tell you you have store credit when you don't.

I bought a game (new) on Amazon for $20 and sold it back there for $16. Same game: $40 new, $12 trade-in at GS. Amazon's buyback affiliate rejected another game, so Amazon took it back as defective and refunded the full purchase price - no question.

GS refused a game in the exact condition they sold it to me. So I see this "deal" as rubbish with a ton of disqualifying stipulations - like all their offers.

heres the deal: if you hate GS Just GTFO! this is NOT the place for you on CAG.

The one dude said it best, there are no better avenues for selling games!!! Plain and simple. Where can you get better on new releases than a 50% bump or a 25% bump even?????

Ebay ??? REALLY?? c'mon i think you're joking.. The fees are outta control these days.. and CL... scams, lowballers "will you take a trrade?"

come on to the kids who hate GS.. grow up, it suffers the tragedy of being a BUSINESS. it does what it has to to survive.. Stop complaining and GTFO

May be their tiv will be more fair. Then again tiv will be reduced before the 50% increase like many have said.

[quote name='Otkon']I'm with you. I am happy that I officially stopped doing business with GameSuck today, after the last in a series of rather pointless attempts to deal with their inept customer disservice. Their trade-in values, promos and overall corporate attitude are just sheer crap. The PUD card or whatever it is called has been a joke from day one. They email you bonuses that they quickly take away or to tell you you have store credit when you don't.

I bought a game (new) on Amazon for $20 and sold it back there for $16. Same game: $40 new, $12 trade-in at GS. Amazon's buyback affiliate rejected another game, so Amazon took it back as defective and refunded the full purchase price - no question.

GS refused a game in the exact condition they sold it to me. So I see this "deal" as rubbish with a ton of disqualifying stipulations - like all their offers.[/QUOTE]

I have no idea what kind of condition the game you bought from Gamestop was, but i promise you there's no way Amazon would have accepted that game in a similar condition. Like several other posters have mentioned, you just gotta pick and choose. Between getting a $48 trade for Black Ops when it only cost $40, and the Fable III/Modern Warefare 2 fiasco, Gamestop has done a great job fattening my wallet over the last couple months. Not to mention the fact that when BBV has the B1G1 sales, it's a lot quicker flip than sending it to Amazon. I got a copy of MLB2k10 rejected from Amazon because '101' was written on the disc. Really? I had no idea marker on the front game effected the quality of the disc.

So yes, in general i do trade in with Amazon, but I don't see why anyone would have a problem with using GS as a backup. This is a good deal, and I'm glad OP made me aware of it.

[quote name='Survivalism']And it drives me crazy knowing people are stupid enough to think the only reason people to go Gamestop is because some elitist prick on the internet didn't tell them not to. They're not still in business because you haven't told enough people to stop going there. I'm not stupid because I'd rather go to Gamestop than get the runaround elsewhere, and neither is anyone else. Believe me when I say that there is not a single person on this planet who needs your help on this matter. By posting things like this, you're providing no new information or useful advice. I can't stress enough that you're not contributing anything to anyone anywhere at any time ever.[/QUOTE]

[quote name='randomevent']I'm just curious if you're aware that quite a few CAG's wait for this type of deal from GS and actually end up ahead of the game by flipping a variety of games they have previously acquired for rock-bottom prices? It's also not a bad deal for newly released games, and I'll even provide an example.

For instance, I think trading in Assassin's Creed: Brotherhood for 38.40 ($24 credit at GS + 60% bonus credit) is a pretty solid deal. The other alternatives are as follows:

- eBay for $30 - $40 (don't forget about fees)
- Amazon for $27.00 credit
- craigslist/CAG for $35 - $45 (you can advertise to sell if for the $45, but you probably won't find anyone to buy it for that much unless you're lucky)

So, comparing those other avenues, does the trade in to GS really seem that bad? Does it make us "stupid?"

The answer is, not really. What is stupid is generalized comments like yours which in essence try to simultaneously insult our intelligence for trading at GS, and possibly make you look superior because you can "sell games for what they are worth." GTFO.

On topic, I've been waiting for this to come up so I can trade in some games. Thanks, OP.[/QUOTE]

it sucks that both of you throw your money away.

even if once in while(like winning the lottery) you get CLOSE to what you could get for the game by working at it a little.

and youre giving it to gamestop who already fuck enough people over day after day.

[quote name='wreckemtexastech']heres the deal: if you hate GS Just GTFO! this is NOT the place for you on CAG.

The one dude said it best, there are no better avenues for selling games!!! Plain and simple. Where can you get better on new releases than a 50% bump or a 25% bump even?????

Ebay ??? REALLY?? c'mon i think you're joking.. The fees are outta control these days.. and CL... scams, lowballers "will you take a trrade?"

come on to the kids who hate GS.. grow up, it suffers the tragedy of being a BUSINESS. it does what it has to to survive.. Stop complaining and GTFO[/QUOTE]

ebay and zon zon fees suck hardcore, but 99 out of 100 times, ebay and zon zon are the way to go(unless you like gamestop selling your games for ebay prices and giving you a quarter of what theyre selling it for, nubs).

and lol, i like how people defend gamestops with their glitchs and system fuck ups like GS meant to do those "deals"(like the buy 1 new get 1 used 50% off with space chimps).

and i dont hate gamestop because of their prices(they have some great deals on new OOP stuff), its the service, quality of games(new, "new", and used included) and policies.

[quote name='StripesOrBars']it sucks that both of you throw your money away.

even if once in while(like winning the lottery) you get CLOSE to what you could get for the game by working at it a little.

and youre giving it to gamestop who already fuck enough people over day after day.

ebay and zon zon fees suck hardcore, but 99 out of 100 times, ebay and zon zon are the way to go(unless you like gamestop selling your games for ebay prices and giving you a quarter of what theyre selling it for, nubs).

and lol, i like how people defend gamestops with their glitchs and system fuck ups like GS meant to do those "deals"(like the buy 1 new get 1 used 50% off with space chimps).

and i dont hate gamestop because of their prices(they have some great deals on new OOP stuff), its the service, quality of games(new, "new", and used included) and policies.[/QUOTE]

i dont want to make you think im attacking you personally, because i do see a few of your points.. but what are these "policies" that are unjust you speak of? Where else can you return a game within 7 days after you beat it or even dont like it?

And the "new" games? Ill never understand this. Once again, im not attacking you, but some people are really strange about this, and message boards go round and round about this. but what exactly is bad about 1 copy being opened so thieves (which run RAMPANT) cant take the game? The games have stickers on the case, but those usually come off easy if its a recently released title (thus being a 'new' copy).. i know theres some weirdo's that dont like human hands touching their games and what not (thats the part i dont understand.. i know there are some shady employees, but what are you doing with these games to where you have to have it virginized?)

What I will give you though, is the notion you did NOT mention about how the employees PURPOSELY try to rape you sometimes. I know if you are not a knowledgable consumer, they will cut your throat, straight up.

[quote name='wreckemtexastech']heres the deal: if you hate GS Just GTFO! this is NOT the place for you on CAG.

come on to the kids who hate GS.. grow up, it suffers the tragedy of being a BUSINESS. it does what it has to to survive.. Stop complaining and GTFO[/QUOTE]

Actually Amazon offers the best trade in offer, usually matching or going beyond gamestop prices in every regard.

1. The trade in process is very easy, you select the items that you are trading in, print a pre paid label and ship the items via USPS or UPS.

2. You can combine the trade in items, I recently sent a huge box full of dvds / books / ps1 / ps2 and ps3 games and only had 2 items refused. 1. was refused because I didn't include the original cover art. I bought the game from Game Crazy. No biggy I just downloaded the cover art and slipped it in the sleeve resent it for an even higher trade in amount no less they received it and credited me.

3. You receive amazon credit which can be used on anything on amazon you want to buy. I just paid via trade in credit for vitamins / killzone 3 / killzone 3 strategy guide and 3 video on demand rentals. You go into gamestop...you can get.....games.....game related toys....and game gift cards.

ill admit, im a gamestop advocate and regular at all the local stores, however, they still try to rape me. its shitty but that the way businesses work. many times the employees (grunts) are like, "OH, yeah, sorry i forgot.." or something like that when you try to work the system.

customers complaining about poor service and tivs they don't like? heaven forbid!

[quote name='radioactivez0r']Last time GS did a 50% promo, Amazon bumped most of their TIVs (even new games) up 60% to match (plus PUR), so I'd wait and see if that happens. Good to know it's like 3 weeks long, gives me time to burn through some of these 8 hour SP-only games I have sitting around.[/QUOTE]

I'm wondering if that's why the TIV for Dante's Inferno suddenly rocketed this morning. I was going to trade it in at GS tomorrow for something like $11 but Amazon's TIV went to $15.00, so I went with them. Only paid $7.50 so either way is a profit.

[quote name='StripesOrBars']it sucks that both of you throw your money away.

and i dont hate gamestop because of their prices(they have some great deals on new OOP stuff), its the service, quality of games(new, "new", and used included) and policies.[/QUOTE]

I don't care how many people gamestop screwed over. I only care that I'm satisfied with my business there. If I was so elitist about bad customer service, I wouldn't shop with any retail business period. You don't have to imply that other's are stupid for using their services, which you have just claimed you hate based on their service and policies, rather than their trade in prices. At that point, it just really looks like you're trying to be the cool, GS hater.

And honestly, you seem smart enough to understand how trading to these businesses works... Do you really think GS is such a bad deal? I know you said, "work at it a little..." but it gets annoying listing games on CAG, eBay, and CL and not get any offers. It's just easier to get a somewhat decent value at GS than to deal with a bunch of no bids, or "how much for this game" questions.

[quote name='randomevent']I don't care how many people gamestop screwed over. I only care that I'm satisfied with my business there. If I was so elitist about bad customer service, I wouldn't shop with any retail business period. You don't have to imply that other's are stupid for using their services, which you have just claimed you hate based on their service and policies, rather than their trade in prices. At that point, it just really looks like you're trying to be the cool, GS hater.

And honestly, you seem smart enough to understand how trading to these businesses works... Do you really think GS is such a bad deal? I know you said, "work at it a little..." but it gets annoying listing games on CAG, eBay, and CL and not get any offers. It's just easier to get a somewhat decent value at GS than to deal with a bunch of no bids, or "how much for this game" questions.[/QUOTE]

decent.

i like that word.

you must watch mad men.

(your mouth spews BS)

good bye thread.

*deletes subscription*

[quote name='burger96']I got a copy of MLB2k10 rejected from Amazon because '101' was written on the disc. Really? I had no idea marker on the front game effected the quality of the disc.[/QUOTE]

It does. If I bought something for my collection, and it was like that, I would return it. Only way I wouldn't care was if I was planning on trading it in, and only if to Gamestop.

Wait I'm confused. Is the 50% promo for trade in or selling back? The OP mentioned that he was trying to sell games, and another post mentioned 50% more trade in. Whatever the case this came at a great time since I was planning on trading in or selling some games to get other games.

Is GameStop trade-in good towards online (in store pickup) purchases? They never have the used games I want in store.

Thanks!

[quote name='Ketsui']can the 50% promo be stacked with the 25% on new games promo(ie MvC3?)[/QUOTE]

no these promos never stack the system will give you the best "deal" it can stack but requires cashier override and the clerks get in trouble if they override stuff like this

[quote name='FireWarrior']Wait I'm confused. Is the 50% promo for trade in or selling back? The OP mentioned that he was trying to sell games, and another post mentioned 50% more trade in. Whatever the case this came at a great time since I was planning on trading in or selling some games to get other games.[/QUOTE]

its for selling/trading, whatever you want to call it, games for gamestop credit. If you want cash the promotion won't apply. you always get shitty deals for cash the only people I ever see trade in / sell items for cash are people who have stolen the items from some other store.

On their website they offer an extra 20% tiv towards an in store pickup. That wouldn't stack, would it?
Also, could I use the CAG16 code for 16 percentoff my online order and then get an extra 50% on trade-ins towards that purchase?
Thanks!

[quote name='cerberez']On their website they offer an extra 20% tiv towards an in store pickup. That wouldn't stack, would it?
Also, could I use the CAG16 code for 16 percentoff my online order and then get an extra 50% on trade-ins towards that purchase?
Thanks![/QUOTE]

you can't use CAG16 for in store pick ups, the 20% tiv would not stack with the 50 bonus....

What I find funniest is that I'm still receiving the PUR emails, even this one about being able to get the 50% more tiv bump, and I've been banned from going into GS' stores for about two months now.:rofl:

They either don't update their systems very often or still hope I'll try to trade stuff in. And I likely would during this promo for all of the stuff I got uber cheap and I haven't bothered playing yet, which is half of my collection of 30+ PS3 games.:cry:

[quote name='StripesOrBars']
*deletes subscription*[/QUOTE]

Awww... And you'll be so missed, since you know the trade process at GS inside and out... Dumbass. My $300 of remaining credit at GS all from trading games that I paid nothing or close to nothing for waves goodbye, too.

See you on CL with all the molesters and robbers that just want to come stare at your kid or case your house.

Does anyone know if gamestop accepts DC Universe trade ins? I'm going to call them in an hour when they open but if anyone knows now that would be great too.

It's been 10 months since I last shopped at Gamestop. My previous attempt to shop there resulted in me being refused a return of a $15 game that I had purchased in gutted condition. They went as far as to call other stores and inform them that I might be trying to return it. I had to go to 4 Gamestops before being allowed the return...

By the time I got to the 4th store I was really wishing I was good friend's with Nicky Santoro. I actually prank called a few local Gamestops with a Joe Pesci soundboard shortly after that incident. Anyways, people who dislike Gamestop generally have pretty good reasons. XD

[quote name='exileinoblivion']Does anyone know if gamestop accepts DC Universe trade ins? I'm going to call them in an hour when they open but if anyone knows now that would be great too.[/QUOTE]
I'm pretty sure it's been said that they won't accept it, since it has some sort of activation code to it similar to a PC game's key, so once that's used that copy of the game is supposedly 'locked' to that system.:cry::whistle2:#

I don't know if this is true or not(but you may since you own it), but definitely give them a call to double check before going in to trade it and finding out you can't.

I was going to mention that SecondSpin.com was taking it in trade about two weeks ago, but the listing for that seems to have disappeared.

Just checked Amazon's trade-in search and they're only accepting the CE of it with the Batman statue as of now.

[quote name='chimpster1313']50% more Credits, what are we, on Coruscant?[/QUOTE]

I had no idea what this was 'till I googled it.(sorry not a huge Star Wars fan and I haven't played any SW games)

I personally thought Dead Space 2 when he said credits, mostly because I'm playing that now.

Love the sig. Community and 30 Rock are the best shows on TV now.

I wish GS had an online TIV tracker or something where you could input your games and it would spit out the total TIV and you could apply bonuses, etc.

[quote name='crazedracerguy']Awww... And you'll be so missed, since you know the trade process at GS inside and out... Dumbass. My $300 of remaining credit at GS all from trading games that I paid nothing or close to nothing for waves goodbye, too.

See you on CL with all the molesters and robbers that just want to come stare at your kid or case your house.[/QUOTE]

wow really showing your maturity there and setting a good example for the newbies there aren't we?

since you're such a genius cause you figured out how to horde clearance games other places and / or steal them from walmart why don't you start your own website www.elhordo.com

p.s. enjoy having $300 credit to a place with such a limited variety of items....you can buy some games and maybe..some.....game gift cards ohhh and supermario mints! this is CAG not SD or FW nobody is impressed on how you wormed that much credit out of your hoarding

[quote name='IAmTheCheapestGamer']I'm pretty sure it's been said that they won't accept it, since it has some sort of activation code to it similar to a PC game's key, so once that's used that copy of the game is supposedly 'locked' to that system.:cry::whistle2:#

I don't know if this is true or not(but you may since you own it), but definitely give them a call to double check before going in to trade it and finding out you can't.

I was going to mention that SecondSpin.com was taking it in trade about two weeks ago, but the listing for that seems to have disappeared.

Just checked Amazon's trade-in search and they're only accepting the CE of it with the Batman statue as of now.[/QUOTE]

it doesn't lock to the system , rather all the files you really need are installed on your system and the data is locked to your psn id. its an issue because they haven't put a way for someone to activate the game on another psn id.

think of it like ea's online pass its tied to your psn id but if you sell the game to gamestop a new user can buy the online pass from the psn store. the only problem is that sony hasn't added the option to buy that activation (online pass) from the psn store yet.

its kind of sneaky way to try and keep users paying month to month it also does away with loss of initial profits from used game sales.

I'm glad I returned this game before I opened it because the lack of an option for a lifetime subscription but this garbage because resellers can't really buy and sell the game.

[quote name='javeryh']I wish GS had an online TIV tracker or something where you could input your games and it would spit out the total TIV and you could apply bonuses, etc.[/QUOTE]

But then you're not in the store already and more likely to just say "ah fuck it" and take $4 credit for that game they're selling for $27.99 used.

lolstop

I miss the days of Funcoland......at the start of every two weeks you could go in and pick up their trade in prices and they where good for two weeks.

I have told Gamestop multiple times in those stupid surveys that they need to update their site to include trade in prices as well as the ability to change shipping addresses / payment info on online orders without having to go through their customer service email center which never emails you back.

I don't believe DC Universe locks to a system I just believe that once the activation code is used that you have to pay for a a subscription off the bat so it would be whatever the used price is plus $15 for that first month since the free 30 days were used up by me.

I could be wrong though and if I am wrong I'll be calling sony and bitching until I get my money back.

[quote name='Uracat']...people who dislike Gamestop generally have pretty good reasons. XD[/QUOTE]I can usually tolerate retail idiocy, but GS has just completely hit my limit. There is typically only one or two nose-picking clowns working the counter. They give you less and less for your games. Their "loyalty" program has actually lost features. Call their customer service department and see how far that gets you. I've never known a person to have a good experience ordering online from them.

I can get cheaper games, higher trade-in values, and my time and money better appreciated elsewhere. That is all that matters to me.

And I used to be a GS supporter. Glad I have options.

[quote name='MillerTime2523']Bunch of whiny bitches on CAG these days.[/QUOTE]

I could not agree more. Its pretty much like gambling. People are just mad and are blaming Gamestop because they didnt get a good deal on their trade ins. I mean come on its not rocket science.

You take your games to Gamestop and give them to the Game Advisor. The G.A. does the Trade In Vale and tells you what it is going for. Then you sign your name on the screen declaring these are your games you are trading in and $XX.XX is the amount of credit you will recieve for said trade in depending on if you agree with the T.I.V. or not.

So if you pay $60 for a game take it home play it for a month and buy all of the D.L.C. like MW2 having 2 map packs at $15 each. That is $90 you have tied into that game alone and you agree to trade it in at Gamestop for like $10 - $20. That is a bad deal. But if you have a game you only paid like $5 - $10 for played it a good while and can trade it in for a profit then that is a good deal. So instead of blaming Gamestop for their T.I.V. try blaming yourself for signing your name and stop coming on here to complain. Thank you.

[quote name='tombo85']Got $40 for Black Ops.[/QUOTE]

Not to bad. I got Black Ops with a B2G1 in late November I got Fallout New Vegas and Fable 3 along with it. It cost me about $100 which equals out to about $33.33 with tax. But $40 is a good TIV. I might go to Gamestop later and see what I can come up with. That way I can get more points on my P.U.R. Card redeem my points for a Gift Card and get Dead Rising 2 and War for Cybertron for $29.99 shipped. Not to bad.

[quote name='Otkon']I can usually tolerate retail idiocy, but GS has just completely hit my limit. There is typically only one or two nose-picking clowns working the counter. They give you less and less for your games. Their "loyalty" program has actually lost features. Call their customer service department and see how far that gets you. I've never known a person to have a good experience ordering online from them.

I can get cheaper games, higher trade-in values, and my time and money better appreciated elsewhere. That is all that matters to me.

And I used to be a GS supporter. Glad I have options.[/QUOTE]

I have to agree with you on the customer service I got an email about a UFC Undisputed coupon for $10 Off that when I tried to use it online it registered as 10% Off instead. I am still trying to get them to honor that but other then that I really havent had any problems except one package which was damaged while it was being shipped.

Lots of hatin' on here. >.> Traded in a few old games today, got 51.20 for 8 games.

Dragon Age Origins: 9.60
Wet: 8.00
Golden Axe: Beast Rider: 3.20
Lego Star Wars: 11.20
Gran Turismo 5 Prologue: 8.00
Dark Void: 6.40
Shadow Hearts Covenant: 6.40
FFXII: 3.20

Considering more of these I got from a Movie Gallery that went out of business or had double copies off, not bad. Just put the credit on my card til something comes out I want. An extra 60% seems pretty good, and I used the cag database to check the values before I traded them in. Most were more than listed. I think if they are going to update their prices they'll be doing it tomorrow instead of today.

On topic, I traded in AC:B and The Sims 3 and they were the same TIV they were before the deal. I ended breaking even with both games, and while I'm a bit sad to see AC:B go, I'd much rather have MvC3.

Holy hell did this ever help me. I took in my extra copy of Mario Kart DS and I got $22.50 for it. Amazing. Paid off Tactics Ogre.

Feb 14-16 is gonna be game overload.

DQVI
MvC3
TO:LUCT

8)

Status
Not open for further replies.
bread's done
Back