Gamestop buying games for 50% more credits starting Thursday

Status
Not open for further replies.

pera

CAG Veteran
Starting Thursday for those have that power reward card (silver one)
and Friday for those who do not have those cards.

I went into local gamestop today to sell old games, but the employee told me that they are going to have 50% more promotion starting tomorrow. I called the another local gamestop and he told me that it will be tomorrow (thursday) for power reward members and Friday for general public.

good luck :)

[quote name='2DMention']You still get mo money selling games on CL or fleabay.[/QUOTE]

Theoretically. Gamestop is still more attractive because it's instant sell. With CL you have to wait for someone to have interest and on lesser known games, that can take a while or they will never sell at all. On Ebay, you take a chance that a bullshit account will run the price up costing you money for an auction that you never made any money off of.

Same theory can technically be applied to Amazon, because they don't send you shipping materials, so when you consider cost for packaging, there's a chance you won't come out ahead.

I will take Halo Reach, Batman Arkham Asylum and maybe more tomorrow and let you know how much I get. I will most likely pay off Gears or something.

@ xilly:

There's a certainty you won't come out ahead.
You'll almost always be selling the game for less than you paid (with the few exceptions like Super Mario All Stars, Metroid Prime Trilogy, etc...)

Ps3 Eye Camera - 8.00
Ps3 Move Controller - 26.00 (YES, 26.00)
Ps3 Navigation Controller - 12.00
Kungfu Rider 8.00

Xbox 360 - Enslaved - 12.00

Just trade in:

All 360 $ base TIV
Call of Duty Black Ops $25
Assasin's Creed Brotherhood $22
Singularity $8

Paid off MvC3 and kept the rest as credit for later.

Just traded in NFS: Hot Pursuit and got $25. :D

Decided to get a new copy Mass Effect 2, since my current one is scratched due to my roommate tipping over my 360.:whistle2:|

I traded in Lost Planet 2 (Ps3), Ratchet and Clank: A Crack in Time, and Naruto Shippuden: Ultimate Ninja Storm 2. I got $57 which I put towards Killzone 3.

I traded in
New Super Mario Bros Wii - $20.00
Donkey Kong Country Returns - $22.00
Little Big Planet GOTY - $9.00

After the extra 50%, came out to like $82

[quote name='krashhole']I would have gave someone $30 for black ops! LOL[/QUOTE]

Well if the $25 is base then wouldnt they have gotten 25 + 2.50 (rewards) + 12.50 (50 promo) = $40 ? I know thats not cash money but if you spent it right 40 credit is better then 30 cash in most cases.

[quote name='xilly']Theoretically. Gamestop is still more attractive because it's instant sell. With CL you have to wait for someone to have interest and on lesser known games, that can take a while or they will never sell at all. On Ebay, you take a chance that a bullshit account will run the price up costing you money for an auction that you never made any money off of.

Same theory can technically be applied to Amazon, because they don't send you shipping materials, so when you consider cost for packaging, there's a chance you won't come out ahead.[/QUOTE]
If you sell on Amazon, the trick to avoid paying for packaging is to save all the padded envelopes you get when you buy games online. It's a simple solution really, yet it can save you a lot of money. ;)

[quote name='xilly']Theoretically. Gamestop is still more attractive because it's instant sell. With CL you have to wait for someone to have interest and on lesser known games, that can take a while or they will never sell at all. On Ebay, you take a chance that a bullshit account will run the price up costing you money for an auction that you never made any money off of.

Same theory can technically be applied to Amazon, because they don't send you shipping materials, so when you consider cost for packaging, there's a chance you won't come out ahead.[/QUOTE]
Since I'm not allowed in GS stores anymore I've been looking into other options to trade my games. The only three open to me now are Amazon, Best Buy and the one local shop. The local shop gives jack shit and is super selective on what they will and won't take anymore, so I just use either Amazon or Best Buy's trade programs.

Both Amazon and Best Buy give you pre-paid shipping labels(plus some BB stores do trades in-store now too), so it's a no brainer for either. As for finding boxes to ship stuff to either of them in, that's what Amazon's boxes they send you stuff in are for.;)

But as of late I've also been looking into eStarland, though if you want cash from them it's 30% less than the quoted values.:roll:

Sorry if this has been asked and answered, but I didn't feel like scrooling through 5 plus pages of text....

Any chance the deal is active on Consoles as well as games....specifically thinking about trading in my psp and ds lite.

thx for any help.

[quote name='alangst']Sorry if this has been asked and answered, but I didn't feel like scrooling through 5 plus pages of text....

Any chance the deal is active on Consoles as well as games....specifically thinking about trading in my psp and ds lite.

thx for any help.[/QUOTE]
No. At most they offer deals like 'get X amount for a console or handheld system' or a slight bonus offer, but I doubt they would ever do a 50% bonus on consoles.

[quote name='Uracat']If you sell on Amazon, the trick to avoid paying for packaging is to save all the padded envelopes you get when you buy games online. It's a simple solution really, yet it can save you a lot of money. ;)[/QUOTE]

Hell yeah. Whenever I trade on CAG I can tell the package has been used at -least- 5 times, so is the one I send out in. Scribbles, taped up, raggedy, maybe slight discoloration...

I still can't figure out how the promos worked out, but I traded in Reach (which I received as a gift originally, so nothing out of pocket) and got $36.80 for it. Added in an old wireless controller and an extra HDMI cable and left with the Reach Legendary ($59.99) and ~$5 credit leftover.

[quote name='hobbie8046']I still can't figure out how the promos worked out, but I traded in Reach (which I received as a gift originally, so nothing out of pocket) and got $36.80 for it. Added in an old wireless controller and an extra HDMI cable and left with the Reach Legendary ($59.99) and ~$5 credit leftover.[/QUOTE]

$36.80 for reach alone, after the 50% right? I paid $29.99 for mine new. I was gonna play some MP, but with MVC3 coming out, I'll never get around to it. Looks like I'm going to GS today...

[quote name='Rollobobo']
Xbox 360 - Enslaved - 12.00[/QUOTE]

That's WITH the 50% extra? I just traded in Enslaved to Amazon this week for $16 without any specials - these prices are horrible even for Gamestop.

[quote name='FADC into coffee']$36.80 for reach alone, after the 50% right? I paid $29.99 for mine new. I was gonna play some MP, but with MVC3 coming out, I'll never get around to it. Looks like I'm going to GS today...[/QUOTE]

Yes, that was the total for Reach alone. It was a $17 base with $18.80 in bonuses...so that would be $35.80, not $36.80. Still was way more than I expected to get for it.

Gonna go tonight and trade in

Fable II
Guitar Hero 5
Gears Of War 2
Bully

Wish me luck, want to pre order and hopefully pay off Dragon Age II

[quote name='IAmTheCheapestGamer']Since I'm not allowed in GS stores anymore I've been looking into other options to trade my games. The only three open to me now are Amazon, Best Buy and the one local shop. The local shop gives jack shit and is super selective on what they will and won't take anymore, so I just use either Amazon or Best Buy's trade programs.

Both Amazon and Best Buy give you pre-paid shipping labels(plus some BB stores do trades in-store now too), so it's a no brainer for either. As for finding boxes to ship stuff to either of them in, that's what Amazon's boxes they send you stuff in are for.;)

But as of late I've also been looking into eStarland, though if you want cash from them it's 30% less than the quoted values.:roll:[/QUOTE]

What what, you banned from GS stores? As in B&M stores? wow, I thought it was bad when GS just stopped me from ordering online, didn't know they would stop someone from trading in store.

Does that include buying as well? Are you banned in the computer? so when you try to trade in it say do not allow or some crap like that? Is it from mass flipping(I assume it has to be)

I do belive that they add 10% to those who have a power up card, I have mine because of the game informer mag, I really don't care much for used games unless it's something I missed (dead space 1), so I ussually buy new, but it helps with the used.

hard to imagine people falling for gamestop trade-in credits when selling the very same title will get you 2x if not 3x as much on ebay.... try and see for yourselves.. simply browse on ebay, search the game you have, scroll to the left and click ' used ' ...once the screen loads click ' buy it now ' on the same left panel and here you will get a very nice estimated price of what your game is worth:)

ALOT more than what gamestop allows you to know. Happy searching!

[quote name='iwarboY']hard to imagine people falling for gamestop trade-in credits when selling the very same title will get you 2x if not 3x as much on ebay.... try and see for yourselves.. simply browse on ebay, search the game you have, scroll to the left and click ' used ' ...once the screen loads click ' buy it now ' on the same left panel and here you will get a very nice estimated price of what your game is worth:)

ALOT more than what gamestop allows you to know. Happy searching![/QUOTE]

The problem with ebay is you either do an auction and hope that a decent price pops up. Or you do buy it now and they take away 12 percent of your profit.

Is it still a better option? Yes if you just need cash but gamestop's promo's work for me when I want a game RIGHT NOW!!11! I need to learn patience though cause it's a total rip off. I mostly gooz though.

[quote name='iwarboY']hard to imagine people falling for gamestop trade-in credits when selling the very same title will get you 2x if not 3x as much on ebay.... try and see for yourselves.. simply browse on ebay, search the game you have, scroll to the left and click ' used ' ...once the screen loads click ' buy it now ' on the same left panel and here you will get a very nice estimated price of what your game is worth:)

ALOT more than what gamestop allows you to know. Happy searching![/QUOTE]

Really?

Okay lets look
http://cgi.ebay.com/Call-Duty-Black...5560?pt=Video_Games_Games&hash=item2c5a98aa68

42.75 for Call of Duty : Black Ops(360) not bad, now take out Ebay/paypal fees/ and shipping costs and you are down to roughly 35 bucks.

Trade it into game stop and you get 25 + 12.50 + 2.50 = $40 worth of game stop credit.

[quote name='acsguitar']The problem with ebay is you either do an auction and hope that a decent price pops up. Or you do buy it now and they take away 12 percent of your profit.

[/QUOTE]

for auctions, ebay fees are actually 9% + 3% paypal fees = 12%

for buy it now, ebay fees are 15% + 3% paypal fees = 18%

something to consider.

[quote name='hobbie8046']Yes, that was the total for Reach alone. It was a $17 base with $18.80 in bonuses...so that would be $35.80, not $36.80. Still was way more than I expected to get for it.[/QUOTE]

if it's $17 base, then it would be $27.20 after 50%+10% extra w/ Edge.

$36.80 would be more than a 100% bonus on it. the base would have to be around $23 to get $36 for it.

either way, I only paid $33 after taxes for my copy and played through it on heroic, so $27.20 is pretty awesome.

[quote name='iwarboY'] hard to imagine people falling for gamestop trade-in credits when selling the very same title will get you 2x if not 3x as much on ebay.... try and see for yourselves.. simply browse on ebay, search the game you have, scroll to the left and click ' used ' ...once the screen loads click ' buy it now ' on the same left panel and here you will get a very nice estimated price of what your game is worth

ALOT more than what gamestop allows you to know. Happy searching![/quote]

Buy-it-now prices alone are a bad estimate. Completed auctions are the closest you'll get to knowing how much your games are worth. Even then, it's hard to tell. I think the best estimate is the lowest price something is selling for on amazon because if you sell there, you pretty much have to undercut the lowest price. You have to be careful with that though, sometimes the lowest price is a really good deal/someone's amazon price-adjusting bot screwing up. On the other hand, if there are a ton of people all selling it within pennies of the lowest price, then your actual value is gonna be much lower (you have to undercut enough to not tempt other people to drop their price a penny below yours.)

whether you get a better deal from gamestop or if it's more worthwhile to sell on ebay/amazon is totally on a game-by-game basis. Halo Reach definitely nets you more credit than you could sell it for. Tales of Vesperia is another game I'm looking to trade and I could get a few more bucks selling it on the amazon marketplace. But it might be more worth it to me to trade it today for a few bucks less, but with money I can spend right now.

On the other hand, there are games like Prince of Persia 2008 that they give you $1.50 for...i'd rather have the drink coaster or keep it around in case I feel like playing it again sometime in the distant future.

After trade in with 50% bonus (PS3):

NCAA - $27.20 ($10 more than Amazon)
MLB 10 The Show - $9.60 (same as Amazon)
NBA 2k11 - $19.20 ($3 more than Amazon)
GT5 - $36.80 ($6.00 more than amazon)

I got $19 more at GS. However, my pursuit was to buy MVC3, which would cost $50 at Amazon ($60 for game, no tax, $10 credit) and $66 at GS ($60 for game plus 9.75% CA sales tax).

Since it is $16 cheaper to buy the same game from Amazon, my net gain was only $3.00. Add in the few dollars (lets say $2) that I would have paid for packaging/shipping my games to Amaazon and my net gain is about $5.

Note: Gamestop is on my way home from work...UPS is not.

[quote name='inkcil']After trade in with 50% bonus (PS3):

NCAA - $27.20 ($10 more than Amazon)
MLB 10 The Show - $9.60 (same as Amazon)
NBA 2k11 - $19.20 ($3 more than Amazon)
GT5 - $36.80 ($6.00 more than amazon)

I got $19 more at GS. However, my pursuit was to buy MVC3, which would cost $50 at Amazon ($60 for game, no tax, $10 credit) and $66 at GS ($60 for game plus 9.75% CA sales tax).

Since it is $16 cheaper to buy the same game from Amazon, my net gain was only $3.00. Add in the few dollars (lets say $2) that I would have paid for packaging/shipping my games to Amaazon and my net gain is about $5.

Note: Gamestop is on my way home from work...UPS is not.[/QUOTE]

Looks like Amazon is matching on a bunch of stuff now - GT5 is $36.75 now and NBA 2K11 is at $19.25.

[quote name='Denbo32']Really?

Okay lets look
http://cgi.ebay.com/Call-Duty-Black...5560?pt=Video_Games_Games&hash=item2c5a98aa68

42.75 for Call of Duty : Black Ops(360) not bad, now take out Ebay/paypal fees/ and shipping costs and you are down to roughly 35 bucks.

Trade it into game stop and you get 25 + 12.50 + 2.50 = $40 worth of game stop credit.[/QUOTE]

Thank you. Shove it, haters. Nobody LOVES Gamestop, but they definitely don't deserve all the hate that they get.

[quote name='Thraka']Looks like Amazon is matching on a bunch of stuff now - GT5 is $36.75 now and NBA 2K11 is at $19.25.[/QUOTE]

Friggin Amazon, man.

I was checking yesterday to see if they would drop prices...I was hoping that if they were going to try to price match they would do it on the first day (Thursday) of the GS promotion...I shoulda known they would wait for the GS promotion to open up to everyone before they price matched! Dangit! With Amazon's latest price match adjustments I only came out $11 ahead on TIV with GS. That means a NET LOSS of $5 for purchasing MVC3!!! Dang you GS! Dang youuuuUUUU!!!!!!!

[quote name='FADC into coffee']if it's $17 base, then it would be $27.20 after 50%+10% extra w/ Edge.

$36.80 would be more than a 100% bonus on it. the base would have to be around $23 to get $36 for it.[/QUOTE]

It was a $17 base. I have no idea why I got so much credit for it. I'll try to find the receipt and post it.

Really?

Okay lets look
http://cgi.ebay.com/Call-Duty-Black-...item2c5a98aa68

Trade it into game stop and you get 25 + 12.50 + 2.50 = $40 worth of game stop credit.

But that means you have to go to Gamestopo.

I'm thinking of taking Devil Survivor and maybe some other stuff in but I'd have to get at least $25 to match feebay.

[quote name='Nightmarecast25']So what if I trade towards Marvel vs Capcom 3? Do I get the power trade 25% + the 50%? I am assuming I do not. This feels like a stupid question. lol[/QUOTE]

The cashier at GS tried to do that for me last night but it did not work. But maybe you'll get lucky and find a chasier who knows how to freak the system.

I can't believe the number of people saying that Ebay is better than Gamestop. Ebay was fine, until they decided that they wanted to drive out the casual seller and focus on business selling on Ebay. Sure casual sellers can still do it, but you just get killed with fees.

There are likely better options than Gamestop for pure cash -- but I just reinvest all of my money back into games anyway. I've only purchased a few games using real cash in the last 2 years.

I prefer to take advantage of the credit I've accumulated at GS -- trade games in when they run this, or a similar promo -- and then only buy games when they run a B2G1, or other web-based promo. Using this strategy I've accumulated hundreds of games, and still maintained over $500 in GS credit.

I like amazon better, since they have some games get bonus $10/$20 credit

but gamestop is good because they kinda dont give a shit, while amazon is so nit picky.

I remember i got rejected for a trade on amazon cause my serial number didnt match, made me go wow

I like how Gamestop says they will give you $10 for a game after the extra blah blah is added on. Go to amazon and the price they give you is higher without all the extra crap gamestop feeds you. If you are trading in fairly new games at gamestop, of course it's worth it right now. Other than that, no gamestop for me. I do Amazon, EA flash deals, CAG, ebay, and craigs list when buying/selling

i'm gonna do this cuz i have quite a few games that have no cases but together, will pay for a big chunk of MVC 3 off and amazon doesnt take game discs without the cases

[quote name='crazedracerguy']Awww... And you'll be so missed, since you know the trade process at GS inside and out... Dumbass. My $300 of remaining credit at GS all from trading games that I paid nothing or close to nothing for waves goodbye, too.

See you on CL with all the molesters and robbers that just want to come stare at your kid or case your house.[/QUOTE]

That's weird. I've been buying and selling on CL for years and haven't ever experienced anything of the sort.

[quote name='Thraka']Looks like Amazon is matching on a bunch of stuff now - GT5 is $36.75 now and NBA 2K11 is at $19.25.[/QUOTE]

Maybe on some more high-profile stuff, but I just traded Dante's Inferno (PS3) to Amazon yesterday for $15 and it's down to $11.25 now. Ridiculous.

I will give it to Amazon though, at least I know their TIVs. I wish GS had a similar system where when you looked up a game it gave you the TIV. Most of the time I've decided to go against GS for trading games it's because I know that even the values that I see on the CAG forum will likely be wrong by the time I get to the store.

I'm pretty sure gamestop just raised their prices on their used games. Online at least, GTA IV for the PS3 is $14.99 now and like a week and a half ago, it was $9.99

Status
Not open for further replies.
bread's done
Back