Gamestop buying games for 50% more credits starting Thursday

Status
Not open for further replies.

pera

CAG Veteran
Starting Thursday for those have that power reward card (silver one)
and Friday for those who do not have those cards.

I went into local gamestop today to sell old games, but the employee told me that they are going to have 50% more promotion starting tomorrow. I called the another local gamestop and he told me that it will be tomorrow (thursday) for power reward members and Friday for general public.

good luck :)

[quote name='kingsnuff']anyone know if the 50% applies to systems as well? My Wii is collecting dust and I'd like to pick up a PS Move (Killzone 3!)[/QUOTE]

It does not apply to consoles.

[quote name='metallicoholic']I wish GS had a similar system where when you looked up a game it gave you the TIV. Most of the time I've decided to go against GS for trading games it's because I know that even the values that I see on the CAG forum will likely be wrong by the time I get to the store.[/QUOTE]

They used to have a PDF up on their site that updated once every couple weeks with all the majors games. I think that's as far as they ever went though. I remember hearing people say (and googling it) that at some point you could actually check any value though.

They don't do it for one simple reason...they want you to come into the store because they figure (and in many cases they're right) that after you've went through the trouble of coming all the way in that you'll take the trade even if it's a terrible deal.

Here were my trades:

Wii:
Resident Evil: Umbrella Chronicles - $10.50
Okami - 10.50

PS3:
Conan - 3.75
Fear 2 - 9
Tony Hawk's Project 8 - 3.75
The Club - 1.13
Terminator Salvation - 9
Battlefield Bad Company 1 - 3.75
Haze - 3
Fracture - 3
Enemy Territory - 4.50
Overlord - 4.50
Overlord 2 - 4.50
Orange Box - 15
MLB2K9 - 2.25
Lair - .75
Resistance - 3

Clearly some of those are crap credit, but not bad considering I paid a max of $5 for each of them during the Blockbuster B1G1 sales. Just thought I'd share the credit amounts for anyone interested.

[quote name='irratebass']Gonna go tonight and trade in

Fable II
Guitar Hero 5
Gears Of War 2
Bully

Wish me luck, want to pre order and hopefully pay off Dragon Age II[/QUOTE]

Decided to keep Bully ( I really wanna finish it)

So I traded:

Fable II
Guitar Hero 5
Gears Of War 2
Dante's Inferno

I got a measly $23

lesson learned, but I only have $30 something left for Dragon Age II

Last edited by a moderator:
Black Ops- $25
Tekken 6 -$5
Splinter Cell Conviction -$4

After power-up I got over $50 for all this. I was also happy because I traded in Black Ops for the same price I bought it for (used a $20 pre-order bonus from amazon).

I only have $40 to go to completely pay off my 3DS now!

I traded in Black Ops ($40) Smackdown vs Raw 11 ( $28) Little big planet ( $12) and one other game which I can't even remember but it got me $9.

It worked out decent for me especially since I had a giftcard for there also.

But, what did make me mad was some kid trading in his Wii with his dad at his side. First, they only offer $50 for it. But, the kid was missing the door on it (the door with the gamecube controllers can plug in) and they only offered him $25.

Psht.

[quote name='gldoorii']Here were my trades:

Wii:
Resident Evil: Umbrella Chronicles - $10.50
Okami - 10.50

PS3:
Conan - 3.75
Fear 2 - 9
Tony Hawk's Project 8 - 3.75
The Club - 1.13
Terminator Salvation - 9
Battlefield Bad Company 1 - 3.75
Haze - 3
Fracture - 3
Enemy Territory - 4.50
Overlord - 4.50
Overlord 2 - 4.50
Orange Box - 15
MLB2K9 - 2.25
Lair - .75
Resistance - 3

Clearly some of those are crap credit, but not bad considering I paid a max of $5 for each of them during the Blockbuster B1G1 sales. Just thought I'd share the credit amounts for anyone interested.[/QUOTE]

Are those base TIVs? Those are some wierd prices ie 1.13? 15 for orange box?

[quote name='Kevbo887']I traded in Black Ops ($40) Smackdown vs Raw 11 ( $28) Little big planet ( $12) and one other game which I can't even remember but it got me $9.

But, what did make me mad was some kid trading in his Wii with his dad at his side. First, they only offer $50 for it. But, the kid was missing the door on it (the door with the gamecube controllers can plug in) and they only offered him $25.

Psht.[/QUOTE]

$25? Seriously?

I'd tell them to get real.

Dead to Rights Retribution (360) - $8
Enslaved (Both Consoles) - $9
Resonance of Fate (360) - $10
Sin and Punishment (Wii) - $7

All values are before promo/PUR

[quote name='Gojimaster']Black Ops- $25
Tekken 6 -$5
Splinter Cell Conviction -$4

After power-up I got over $50 for all this. I was also happy because I traded in Black Ops for the same price I bought it for (used a $20 pre-order bonus from amazon).

I only have $40 to go to completely pay off my 3DS now![/QUOTE]

[quote name='Kevbo887']I traded in Black Ops ($40) Smackdown vs Raw 11 ( $28) Little big planet ( $12) and one other game which I can't even remember but it got me $9.

Psht.[/QUOTE]

so is black ops $40 or $25?

[quote name='craig.courtney']The email I got stated the 50% bonus lasted until Sunday 3/6.[/QUOTE]

Thanks I forgot about the email. The website didn't list the promotion period.

I never trade in or sell games but if I did Id still go with amazon. Least there you can use credit towards a new toaster, a tv, a dvd, bluray player or one of another 100000 items. That coupled with their free shipping, usually little less cost and credits on new games it works out better.

Quick question. If you are a power up paid subscriber, does the normal extra 10% stack to make it TIV + 60% (50% extra promo + 10% powerup bonus)?

[quote name='kosmos13x']Quick question. If you are a power up paid subscriber, does the normal extra 10% stack to make it TIV + 60% (50% extra promo + 10% powerup bonus)?[/QUOTE]

Yes

Amazon matched the tiv boost on alot of games, but not all.
Some great tiv's for ps3 games like $15 for god of war collection, $14 valkyria chronicles, $15 oblivion, $15 AC2, $20.75 for star ocean last hope, dead space $11.25, burnout paradise $8... i gotta finish some of these up and trade them in!

oooh, n BLUR TIV 13.25. combo that with the fact most of us got it for 10ish at bestbuy, n that's a good free half year rental, lol.
im gonna keep my copy tho, i found it fun ;)

How much do you think they'd give for the complete promotion deal on Marvel vs Capcom 3 on the day it comes out?

Does anybody know how much Modern Warfare 2 and World At War (both on PS3) would fetch from Gamestop? I checked the trade in values, but they are really outdated... Any help would be greatly appreciated!

[quote name='Xellos2099']It made me wonder how much will mvc3 will worth at gamestop day 1 with 50% bonus.[/QUOTE]

Probably $30-35.

about 1/3 MSRP is the usual gamestop base TIV for new releases.

[quote name='jer7583']Probably $30-35.

about 1/3 MSRP is the usual gamestop base TIV for new releases.[/QUOTE]

depending on when Amazon gets them to me, I will have 2 360 copies of MvC to trade in.

If they give $30: $33 with Edge: $49.50 with 50% bonus?

I like, I like

[quote name='VaultDweller']so instead of getting $5 for a game that came out a year ago, I can get $7.50?? thats awesome![/QUOTE]
:lol:

Gamestop is crap.. I'd rather my games collect dust for me to blow off months/years down the road if I choose.

[quote name='grrouchie']depending on when Amazon gets them to me, I will have 2 360 copies of MvC to trade in.

I like, I like[/QUOTE]

Come on man do you really think they are gonna give you the 50% bonus on edge card?

If you get 30 for it, you'd get 15 (50%) and 3 (10% edge) for a total of 48.

hope madden 11 for 360 has held its value....Gonna go trade it in later once they open.

edit: nvm just gonna trade it in to Amazon since they're offerring 27.25 for it right now.

[quote name='irishsoccermbw']Come on man do you really think they are gonna give you the 50% bonus on edge card?

If you get 30 for it, you'd get 15 (50%) and 3 (10% edge) for a total of 48.[/QUOTE]

No reason not to since they give $40 for black ops with 50% and edge stack and it is a 3 month old game.

received an unplayable game from gamestop.com one of 3 games i ordered-

thing is i misplaced the packaging slip-now how would i go about getting it replaced-on line or in store-or am i screwed. was thinking of rebuying and replacing it//anyway any help would be appreciated

also for return via mail-do we pay for the return??

Quick 2 questions: 1. My membership expired about a week ago. Can I still get the 50% trade? Also will the 25% trade in for mvc3 also combine with this so it can become a 75% in total.

[quote name='grrouchie']depending on when Amazon gets them to me, I will have 2 360 copies of MvC to trade in.

I like, I like[/QUOTE]

I meant $30-$35 after the 50% bonus. Gs does not offer $30 base values for any game.

Expect $20 or so as a before bonus tiv.

[quote name='jer7583']I meant $30-$35 after the 50% bonus. Gs does not offer $30 base values for any game.

Expect $20 or so as a before bonus tiv.[/QUOTE]

There have been a handful of games that get $30 at launch. Black Ops got $30 base TIV for the first week or two it was released. Fable III was another I can remember off of the top of my head.

[quote name='Royal High Knight']Quick 2 questions: 1. My membership expired about a week ago. Can I still get the 50% trade? Also will the 25% trade in for mvc3 also combine with this so it can become a 75% in total.[/QUOTE]
No, they don't stack trade-in promotions, but their registers choose from the promotion that gives the most trade-in value.

So in other words, if you wanted to trade your games to immediately buy MvC3, the registers will add the 50% trade-in towards the purchase of MvC3.

[quote name='jer7583']I meant $30-$35 after the 50% bonus. Gs does not offer $30 base values for any game.

This.

In an experiment for you guys, I took in 3 fairly new games - Mindjack (360), LBP2, and Trinity: Souls of Zill O'll in to Gamestop to check prices.

Here's what I was offered:
Mindjack - $16 (With edge and promo - $25.60)
LBP2 at $23 (With edge and promo - $36.80)
Trinity (which came out Tuesday) - $17 (With edge and promo - $27.20)

Amazon:
Mindjack (360) - $30
LBP2 - $37.50
Trinity - Not buying yet on Amazon.

It really just depends on what you have. I've only found a few that are better at Gamestop.

LBP 1 - $7 (With edge and promo - $11.50) - Amazon $5.50
ModNation Racers - $10 (With edge and promo - $16) - Amazon $10.75

[quote name='BG1989']Does anybody know how much Modern Warfare 2 and World At War (both on PS3) would fetch from Gamestop? I checked the trade in values, but they are really outdated... Any help would be greatly appreciated![/QUOTE]

MW2 gets $9 after the 50% bonus. Obviously, they did not get my copy. Of that or anything else I checked on

[quote name='youenvy']received an unplayable game from gamestop.com one of 3 games i ordered-

thing is i misplaced the packaging slip-now how would i go about getting it replaced-on line or in store-or am i screwed. was thinking of rebuying and replacing it//anyway any help would be appreciated

also for return via mail-do we pay for the return??[/QUOTE]

You could probably print out your order form under your "order history" on the website and bring that in the store for return/replacement.

No packing slip means you are screwed.
Your power up rewards activity thing cannot be used as a receipt.
And if you even think about buying a fresh copy and returning your busted copy, well then the return fraud karma police are coming for you.

[quote name='youenvy']received an unplayable game from gamestop.com one of 3 games i ordered-

also for return via mail-do we pay for the return??[/QUOTE]

if I wanted to tarde in games games today at my local gamestop for the 50% trade in bonus + 10% edge card. How exactly do I go about this?
Do I ask them? or should they already know about this promotion? I just dont want to walk in looking stupid, especially this is my first time trading in my games at gamestop.

[quote name='ens04']if I wanted to tarde in games games today at my local gamestop for the 50% trade in bonus + 10% edge card. How exactly do I go about this?
Do I ask them? or should they already know about this promotion? I just dont want to walk in looking stupid, especially this is my first time trading in my games at gamestop.[/QUOTE]

It will automatically ring up because the promo is in the system. Just walk in, put your games on the counter, and hand them your edge card. When they scan the games, the promo will ring up with them along with your scanned edge/powerup card.

[quote name='steve nash']No packing slip means you are screwed.
Your power up rewards activity thing cannot be used as a receipt.
And if you even think about buying a fresh copy and returning your busted copy, well then the return fraud karma police are coming for you.[/QUOTE]

no i meant buying a used copy keeping that one and giving them back the non working one that they gave me--go back a few days and just tell them that it didn't work-and get a refund-

but im going to try out what rozz said print out the order history and see if that works since it shows the order date and payment, as id rather not do that return thing.
thanx guys for the info

if anyone was wondering the game doesn't work-because it has these small light penny sized circles about 3 of them-- very close to each other

I know that Gamestop has given $30 on some other games right near launch.
Fable 3, Fable 2, Street Fighter 4, etc.

Do I expect it? No - especially not with this promo going on.
However, It would be nice.

If not i'll just jump on Craigslist or goozex and get my value that way.

[quote name='Blackjack13']It will automatically ring up because the promo is in the system. Just walk in, put your games on the counter, and hand them your edge card. When they scan the games, the promo will ring up with them along with your scanned edge/powerup card.[/QUOTE]
thank you

GS did it with Mass Effect 2 (it was at $35 for a brief period with 50% bonus promo going on) last year for the 360, but then Kotaku "broke the story", and well...nuff said.

Yeah went to gamestop and traded in some stuff. I also upgraded to the Rewards plus or whatever so I could get the extra 10%, but after leaving I realized on the receipt that I got gypped. Just gave me the 50%... I usually don't trade stuff into Gamestop but I was doing it to get some credit for the 3DS. Damn you Nintendo, why must you release a console on a Sunday!?!?

Here's what I got after promotion:

Pokemon Heartgold: $15.00

Dragon Quest IX: $13.50

Alan Wake: $12.00

Dead Space: $9.00

Mass Effect: $7.50

Wii Sports Resort: $12.00

Could've gotten more for... wow I just checked everything, and could've gotten more on Amazon for everything except Pokemon. I'm officially never trading anything in to Gamestop again. I just got buttraped. Does anybody have any Vasoline?

[quote name='Denbo32']Really?

Okay lets look
http://cgi.ebay.com/Call-Duty-Black...5560?pt=Video_Games_Games&hash=item2c5a98aa68

42.75 for Call of Duty : Black Ops(360) not bad, now take out Ebay/paypal fees/ and shipping costs and you are down to roughly 35 bucks.

Trade it into game stop and you get 25 + 12.50 + 2.50 = $40 worth of game stop credit.[/QUOTE]

to be fair: Black Ops is fairly new to the market and has a very high ' want ' rating.. but take the same formula with games which aren't really getting second looks and then do the math:)
also, you can charge $4.00 for shipping , but can then box the item yourself instead of using USPS packaging to ship the item for a mere $1.90 instead of $4.95 giving you an additional $2.10 to your total amount.

[quote name='iwarboY']to be fair: Black Ops is fairly new to the market and has a very high ' want ' rating.. but take the same formula with games which aren't really getting second looks and then do the math:)
also, you can charge $4.00 for shipping , but can then box the item yourself instead of using USPS packaging to ship the item for a mere $1.90 instead of $4.95 giving you an additional $2.10 to your total amount.[/QUOTE]
Another fee most people don't consider when comparing.. is travel. look at the picture at a whole. how are you getting to gamestop? would you get hungry during your mall visit? gas, tolls, bus, food etc.

Status
Not open for further replies.
bread's done
Back