GameStop.com Feature Updates

Retroactive

CAGiversary!
Hi All,

Quick update on GameStop.com enhancements.

Per your feedback we recently updated the Store Availability feature.

In addition to displaying the closest three stores to your U.S. ZIP code on the product page, a "more" link has been added, displaying all in-stock stores within a 100 mile radius. Before making a drive, just remember to always call the store first to confirm availability and product condition. Final Fantasy IV DS example (enter a ZIP code to see results).

We also believe we have solved an issue where some users were unable to log in or transact with the site. If you experience any problems, please let us know.

Also, in-store pick up has also been enabled on hundreds of pre-orders. (I personally use this feature and it works great.) Spore PC/Mac example.

A sort by "bestselling" option has also been added to the search results. Xbox 360 category example.

The order status summary page now displays the titles of the products purchased.

We still have a few open projects including auto-issuance of beta and premium content codes and hope to complete that project before the holiday rush. We also continue to work on providing a condition status for used games and hope to have this in place by next Spring. Until then, just remember that our brick and mortar store exchange policy also applies to orders fulfilled online.

Thank you again for your feedback! Each of these changes came from feedback from this forum. GameStop.com is built for you so please don't hesitate to let us know how we are doing. To leave feedback regarding site features or content just send an email to [email protected] . Every comment is reviewed by our ecommerce management team and these are also forwarded directly to my Inbox.

Hope you enjoy the new features!

Best Regards,
Retro

Now start having quality control on used games and I just might not forget to give a rats ass on the next thread like this.

Thank God for this.

Another thing, can it be made a requirement that Gamestops have their mailing addresses available on the site? It's a real pain in the ass to have to google the location based on the shopping center and find out if it's in the same general area. I think people use the Used Game Locator more often than you would think.

I would very much like to see the condition of games available online (and offline too, although that'd be difficult with changing inventory)... at least whether or not they're complete. Not having a box/manual can dissuade many people from purchasing from the online store.

[quote name='GuardianE']Thank God for this.

Another thing, can it be made a requirement that Gamestops have their mailing addresses available on the site? It's a real pain in the ass to have to google the location based on the shopping center and find out if it's in the same general area. I think people use the Used Game Locator more often than you would think.

I would very much like to see the condition of games available online (and offline too, although that'd be difficult with changing inventory)... at least whether or not they're complete. Not having a box/manual can dissuade many people from purchasing from the online store.[/quote]

Hi GuardianE,

Thanks for the feedback.

Store mailing addresses are available for all stores via our store locator (link found at the top of home page) or via the product locator. Just click the store name found on the product page and you will find the full address, hours of operation, phone number and also a link for driving directions. If I misinterpreted your request, please let me know.

We agree completely regarding the display of used game contents. I am an avid game collector myself (anyone have a copy of Akalabeth for Apple? ;)) and it is very important to know whether the original materials are available. Approximately 70% of the used games we stock online have the original box and instructions, but it is unfortunately still a gamble. We do include a third-party DVD case if the original packaging materials are unavailable. We will be upgrading our distribution system early next year, which will allow us to segregate our online used inventory from the store stock. Until then, the best I can do is reiterate our liberal store exchange policy on used games. Thank you for your patience; I know this is a long time coming.

In the interim we might be able to print new cover art for the top 200 used games and include these with the shipment. Would this be helpful for the non-collectors out there?

Thanks again for your feedback.

Best,
Retro

[quote name='Retroactive']Hi GuardianE,

Thanks for the feedback.

Store mailing addresses are available for all stores via our store locator (link found at the top of home page) or via the product locator. Just click the store name found on the product page and you will find the full address, hours of operation, phone number and also a link for driving directions. If I misinterpreted your request, please let me know.

We agree completely regarding the display of used game contents. I am an avid game collector myself (anyone have a copy of Akalabeth for Apple? ;)) and it is very important to know whether the original materials are available. Approximately 70% of the used games we stock online have the original box and instructions, but it is unfortunately still a gamble. We do include a third-party DVD case if the original packaging materials are unavailable. We will be upgrading our distribution system early next year, which will allow us to segregate our online used inventory from the store stock. Until then, the best I can do is reiterate our liberal store exchange policy on used games. Thank you for your patience; I know this is a long time coming.

In the interim we might be able to print new cover art for the top 200 used games and include these with the shipment. Would this be helpful for the non-collectors out there?

Thanks again for your feedback.

Best,
Retro[/quote]

Thanks for the reply, Retro.

The store addresses are listed there, but I was wondering if it was mandated for all stores to list their addresses. I ask this because there are a few local stores that I mix up (or don't remember the shopping center) and their addresses are not listed. It will simply read "undefined" where the address is supposed to be. Not a big deal, really, but I think it'd be simple to just let stores know that people can't find where they're located easily because of this.

A printed cover would be much preferred, in my opinion, over the dreaded black box or the generic Gamestop cover even if the person is not really a collector. There are a few games that I would have liked to have seen a printed cover on, but weren't really so special to me that I was grabbing it for collecting purposes. I guess every little bit helps, but I'm not certain that it would make a dramatic impact. In my mind, most people who would accept the newly printed cover are the same ones who will take the game without any cover.

As for the in store exchange, you may want to put a disclaimer about that under the "May not include original box/instructions" that if the person could find a local copy with those included, it'd be a simple matter of exchanging the item. Oftentimes, however, it becomes an issue with rarer titles that people can't find locally, but I figure that real collectors will probably be willing to make the trip out to do that exchange. Then again, if they were willing to make that trip out to begin with, then where is the incentive to order online with that gamble? There would have to be a pretty good deal online versus in store.

Maybe allow registered users to redeem the weekly coupons online? That's a big deal to some of us. In fact, this way you could put a flag on a user who's already used the coupon and prevent them from abusing that particular coupon online after it's been used, which is probably easier to enforce than in store coupon abuse.

nyprimus's comment above is also a valid one. Sometimes you simply cannot search for the used version of newer games because it's not in the online system, but many people want to actively search for these games to see if they're available locally before making that trip out. This would facilitate the process to have them viewable online. Then there's the whole issue of limited/collector's editions. They share the same SKU/price after a given period of time, but it would be nice if there were a way to differentiate copies in store. I know that there's really no incentive to, as you'll get the same amount of money for either and online inventory is probably so scattered that you never know what's coming in, but each store could take special notice of a particular limited/collector's edition of a game that they have.

Last edited by a moderator:
[quote name='nyprimus4']I don't like that you can't locate used copies of every game.[/quote]

Hi NYprimus,

You should be able to find any used game available within a 100 mile radius or if you're up for a serious road trip you can try entering remote ZIP codes. For example to check inventory availability in our Anchorage, Alaska, GameStop, just enter 95501. ;)

Also, if you are having trouble finding a used game online, just hit the toggle found at the bottom of any search result page. This will allow you to see inventory that may be available in our stores, but is not available online.

Please note that we suppress this option if there are only a few copies remaining nationwide. We have found that these are likely to be system discrepancies or, in the case of the store above, may contain unrecoverable polar bear damage.

You should be able to find 99.9% of used games available in your area using the new site functionality, but remember to always call the store to confirm availability, condition and ice thickness.

Hope this helps!

Best,
Retro

Honestly, top 200 isn't much when you look at the amount of games out there for covers. If you offered a quality printed cover and a case of the right system (I want a white case to my Wii games, green to 360, weird case for PS3, etc.) I would buy used, manual only bugs me so much, but if I can't get a cover and its in some generic black case, its definitely a no buy. Not to mention, yea, I can return it, but I lose what I put out on shipping then, so fuck that. You need to be able to guarantee at least an original or repro case of the system, and cover of the game I feel.

Thanks for the updates, Retro. While I'm looking forward to the used condition update, I tend to buy new more than used nowadays, so I'll be more likely to use the in-store pickup for preorders to save a trip to the store.

For some reason I just now realized the redesign is running .NET. Good to see!

[quote name='georox']Honestly, top 200 isn't much when you look at the amount of games out there for covers. If you offered a quality printed cover and a case of the right system (I want a white case to my Wii games, green to 360, weird case for PS3, etc.) I would buy used, manual only bugs me so much, but if I can't get a cover and its in some generic black case, its definitely a no buy. Not to mention, yea, I can return it, but I lose what I put out on shipping then, so fuck that. You need to be able to guarantee at least an original or repro case of the system, and cover of the game I feel.[/quote]

Georox,

Got it. Thanks for the feedback. As a collector, I agree. Definitely working on the guaranteed solution. We're just trying to decide whether it's worth the extra effort to add re-print covers for the top products. We will check on the possibility of color-matched replacement cases. Also, if you're not in a rush and buy a few at a time, I recommend using the free value shipping option for orders over $25. (Doesn't pay for the gas to make a swap, but it at least covers the initial freight)

Thanks Again,
Retro

Well, even then I'd have to spend at least 25 bucks on stuff, and more than likely if I'm buying used online, I'm not. If you can't do cases to completely match, do some like red GameStop case at least, and have massive quantities done for them so its cheaper to make and use em for all used stuff, but QUALITY! I don't like these cheapo cases that feel brittle in my hands. Also, cut back on the stickers, at least in-store, I don't know if online is as bad, but I don't like my cases being coated in residue and spending an hour removing it all.

Also, I still say all used games need real covers, not just the "top 200".

Also - fuck Madden. Completely offtopic, but it belongs.

[quote name='GuardianE']Thanks for the reply, Retro.

The store addresses are listed there, but I was wondering if it was mandated for all stores to list their addresses. I ask this because there are a few local stores that I mix up (or don't remember the shopping center) and their addresses are not listed. It will simply read "undefined" where the address is supposed to be. Not a big deal, really, but I think it'd be simple to just let stores know that people can't find where they're located easily because of this.

A printed cover would be much preferred, in my opinion, over the dreaded black box or the generic Gamestop cover even if the person is not really a collector. There are a few games that I would have liked to have seen a printed cover on, but weren't really so special to me that I was grabbing it for collecting purposes. I guess every little bit helps, but I'm not certain that it would make a dramatic impact. In my mind, most people who would accept the newly printed cover are the same ones who will take the game without any cover.

As for the in store exchange, you may want to put a disclaimer about that under the "May not include original box/instructions" that if the person could find a local copy with those included, it'd be a simple matter of exchanging the item. Oftentimes, however, it becomes an issue with rarer titles that people can't find locally, but I figure that real collectors will probably be willing to make the trip out to do that exchange. Then again, if they were willing to make that trip out to begin with, then where is the incentive to order online with that gamble? There would have to be a pretty good deal online versus in store.

Maybe allow registered users to redeem the weekly coupons online? That's a big deal to some of us. In fact, this way you could put a flag on a user who's already used the coupon and prevent them from abusing that particular coupon online after it's been used, which is probably easier to enforce than in store coupon abuse.

nyprimus's comment above is also a valid one. Sometimes you simply cannot search for the used version of newer games because it's not in the online system, but many people want to actively search for these games to see if they're available locally before making that trip out. This would facilitate the process to have them viewable online. Then there's the whole issue of limited/collector's editions. They share the same SKU/price after a given period of time, but it would be nice if there were a way to differentiate copies in store. I know that there's really no incentive to, as you'll get the same amount of money for either and online inventory is probably so scattered that you never know what's coming in, but each store could take special notice of a particular limited/collector's edition of a game that they have.[/quote]

Hi GuardianE,

The store database is controlled at our corporate headquarters. If you ever run across a store with a missing address please email the store name to [email protected] and we will get it added to the database right away. Thanks for the heads up.

I like your interim return policy messaging idea. We will investigate adding a pop-up link from that messaging explaining how the store return policy can be utilized if the condition or contents did not meet expectations.

My response to NYprimus regarding searchability of products crossed paths with your reply. To clarify, this also applies to new products, like collector's editions. Just need to hit that toggle found on the bottom of any search result. (Apologies for the unintuitive design--we'll address that in a future release)

Thanks Again,
Retro

Reprinting the covers would be awesome.
In fact, why doesn't EB/GS have cover art in their database at the actual stores? When someone trades the games in, and they get ready to put on shelves..those without a case/cover can easily be fixed.

I always hate that the used game price of a game is the SAME for complete used copies of games, and games they are just the disc only (in a generic case).

Also, would it EVER be possible to have a list of MORE trade in values? Not just the top deals or the top wants..just keeping a whole page where the prices can be updated weekly (daily would be awesome but I'll be realistic here)

[quote name='georox']Well, even then I'd have to spend at least 25 bucks on stuff, and more than likely if I'm buying used online, I'm not. If you can't do cases to completely match, do some like red GameStop case at least, and have massive quantities done for them so its cheaper to make and use em for all used stuff, but QUALITY! I don't like these cheapo cases that feel brittle in my hands. Also, cut back on the stickers, at least in-store, I don't know if online is as bad, but I don't like my cases being coated in residue and spending an hour removing it all.

Also, I still say all used games need real covers, not just the "top 200".

Also - fuck Madden. Completely offtopic, but it belongs.[/quote]

Georox,

Got it--I hear you and agree. By this time next year all next-gen used product will come with the original box and instructions.

I will also pass on your feedback regarding the sticky stickers and case quality to the folks that run our refurbishment center. We source our online inventory from store stock and I know stickers occasionally slip through the process.

Unfortunately I can't help with Madden--have to leave that to EA. I did attend a meeting with EA yesterday and the new Madden 2009 features look awesome. Definitely a new game, not a rehash. The new Madden I.Q. and A.I. features looks especially promising, especially as I under perform (politically correct understatement) at most sports games. Unless of course, you categorize Mario Kart as a sports game. ;) Sorry, off-topic...

Best,
Retro

[quote name='Retroactive']
My response to NYprimus regarding searchability of products crossed paths with your reply. To clarify, this also applies to new products, like collector's editions. Just need to hit that toggle found on the bottom of any search result. (Apologies for the unintuitive design--we'll address that in a future release)
[/quote]

Thanks for the reply, Retro. Yeah, we know about the "Hide" and "Show" button at the bottom of the search results, but even then older collector's editions will not show up in the results because they share the same SKU as their regular counterparts.

And as for newer games, let's look at Metal Gear Solid 4 as an example. It's available new on the site, but I know for a fact that there are locations that are selling it used. If it were even just listed upon launch of the title and regularly updated with stock, that would be helpful, as we know some people like to exclusively get deals on used games (and we know that Gamestop makes more money off those used titles anyway).

[quote name='lilboo']Reprinting the covers would be awesome.
In fact, why doesn't EB/GS have cover art in their database at the actual stores? When someone trades the games in, and they get ready to put on shelves..those without a case/cover can easily be fixed.

I always hate that the used game price of a game is the SAME for complete used copies of games, and games they are just the disc only (in a generic case).

Also, would it EVER be possible to have a list of MORE trade in values? Not just the top deals or the top wants..just keeping a whole page where the prices can be updated weekly (daily would be awesome but I'll be realistic here)[/quote]

Hi Lilboo,

All valid points. We would love to find a cost-effective solution to the store cover art issue as well. We also see this as a major issue and continue to investigate solutions to this and the price parity issue.

There are a couple strategic reasons why it is unlikely we will provide access to our entire used trade-in list online, but we will keep expanding the list whenever we can. We recently redesigned the trade-in values page to give us more flexibility in listing additional values per platform and you should continue to see this expand over time.

Thanks for the feedback.

Best,
Retro

[quote name='GuardianE']Thanks for the reply, Retro. Yeah, we know about the "Hide" and "Show" button at the bottom of the search results, but even then older collector's editions will not show up in the results because they share the same SKU as their regular counterparts.

And as for newer games, let's look at Metal Gear Solid 4 as an example. It's available new on the site, but I know for a fact that there are locations that are selling it used. If it were even just listed upon launch of the title and regularly updated with stock, that would be helpful, as we know some people like to exclusively get deals on used games (and we know that Gamestop makes more money off those used titles anyway).[/quote]

GuardianE,

Ahh, got it. Something is broken then, most likely the display eligibility process. Collectors and Regular editions do have different SKUs, so that is not the issue. I will meet with our online merchandising team tomorrow and get to the bottom of this.

Thanks for the heads up and your persistence in detailing the issue.

Best,
Retro

Also, how about having some button on each games page on the site to view Trade-in Value. It would save me a lot of trips into a store just to tell an employee to "shove it up there ass". I'm sure it would save many employees from hearing "shove it up your ass" too.

[quote name='nyprimus4']You can't locate or find the prices for any used games that were just released and in many cases released recently.[/QUOTE]

I'd like this too but I'm guessing they don't list anything in their online inventory until they get a significant number of copies in from their B&M stores (so for less popular titles, it could be a while).

[quote name='Vinny']I'd like this too but I'm guessing they don't list anything in their online inventory until they get a significant number of copies in from their B&M stores (so for less popular titles, it could be a while).[/quote]
They could put it as not available online for the used version but still have the store locator. :bouncy:

[quote name='nyprimus4']You can't locate or find the prices for any used games that were just released and in many cases released recently.[/QUOTE]

NYprimus,

We may need to lower the national availability threshold. Currently, this is set to 200. The only issue I see with lowering this is that the chance of the store actually having it in stock will greatly decline. (The inventory database is updated once a day, every morning, and newer releases tend to sell out very quickly) For new releases, what is likely an 80% accuracy rate for a threshold of 200 might drop to 40% if we lower it to 100. The end result is that you might need to call a few extra stores before finding one in stock. We are fine with making that trade-off if the community is, but want to ensure everyone is aware of the ramifications. Let me know your thoughts.

Best,
Retro

[quote name='georox']Now start having quality control on used games and I just might not forget to give a rats ass on the next thread like this.[/quote]

I'm also agreeing with this, since the quality control and the condition of games that the chain takes in is still asstacular and definitely NOT on par with other chains like Transworld. Albeit, their prices are higher for MANY things, but you get what you pay for with them. I have yet to buy a used game from THEM and have to return it 3-4 times to get ONE that works.

One thing I do miss is Gamestop's long since defunct searchable database of trade-in values at tradestop.com. I'd love to see it make a return, since I can't even count the number of times that I've been stonewalled on even getting ONE trade value over the phone, only to go in store and find out it's shittastic.

This, along with the incomplete/scratched to hell/dipped in liquid feces and left to dry condition games, is what has dissuaded me from purchasing that many items from Gamestop recently. Although, if I can locate both Otogis and Mercenaries in ONE store in perfect shape for Xbox during the current b2g1 sale, I may well change my tune on that.

OK, scratch that, since I can't find a third game to go with just the first Otogi and Mercs for Xbox.

[quote name='Retroactive']GuardianE,

Ahh, got it. Something is broken then, most likely the display eligibility process. Collectors and Regular editions do have different SKUs, so that is not the issue. I will meet with our online merchandising team tomorrow and get to the bottom of this.

Thanks for the heads up and your persistence in detailing the issue.

Best,
Retro[/quote]

To illustrate it better, here's an example.

If I wanted to search for the Resident Evil 4 Premium Edition, I wouldn't able to as it has no listing on the site. Or the Halo 2 Limited Edition. Or the Doom 3 Limited Edition. These all share the same Gamestop SKU in store with the regular editions.

There's probably nothing that can be done, as it pertains to older titles, but I thought it was worth mentioning.

Something that might be more worth mentioning, however, is that if USED titles come in for collector's editions, they aren't distinguished from their regular counterparts on the site (as in, according to the site, there are no limited edition used copies of Halo 3 or Mass Effect or Prey or Need for Speed: Carbon, and I've seen all of the above in stores used).

I just think it'd be nice to have. Not a huge deal, though.

A much bigger deal is why you guys hid Ivy's boobage with Yoda's head. :p I happened to observe that earlier today her cleavage was free and exposed but then later in the day, Yoda had been moved up to cover her naughty bits. I mentioned this in the SC4 thread already. I found it very humorous.

my only issue is that some games that should still be on the website are not, like wario ware which i cant understand for the life of me ... i mean games that are highly rated are virtually non existant to gamestop after a year

I have a problem with all the games that are listed as "Not Available" on the website. I usually notice this right after a good price drop. And it's become a fun tradition to go to like 5 different GameStops and be told the gutted copy is their very last copy for every game I might want to buy. I don't understand why I always have such a hard time getting a video game from a store that specializes in video games. I mean for example "Ratchet and Clank Future: Tools of Destruction", not available on the website. Really? One of the most popular PS3 games and you guys don't have any copies to sell on the website? Considering like every other store seems to have plenty it seems odd what you choose to stock. Oh, and I know it says "Currently Not Available Online", but I've never seen a game come back in stock after being unavailable.

[quote name='GuardianE']To illustrate it better, here's an example.

If I wanted to search for the Resident Evil 4 Premium Edition, I wouldn't able to as it has no listing on the site. Or the Halo 2 Limited Edition. Or the Doom 3 Limited Edition. These all share the same Gamestop SKU in store with the regular editions.

There's probably nothing that can be done, as it pertains to older titles, but I thought it was worth mentioning.

Something that might be more worth mentioning, however, is that if USED titles come in for collector's editions, they aren't distinguished from their regular counterparts on the site (as in, according to the site, there are no limited edition used copies of Halo 3 or Mass Effect or Prey or Need for Speed: Carbon, and I've seen all of the above in stores used).

I just think it'd be nice to have. Not a huge deal, though.

A much bigger deal is why you guys hid Ivy's boobage with Yoda's head. :p I happened to observe that earlier today her cleavage was free and exposed but then later in the day, Yoda had been moved up to cover her naughty bits. I mentioned this in the SC4 thread already. I found it very humorous.[/quote]

GuardianE,

Thanks. I spoke with some folks internally and got an explanation on the collector's editions. Unless it's just different content on a master disk, the used titles are rolled up into one SKU. The challenge with maintaining separate used SKUs for most collector's and regular editions is ensuring that all of the additional content is available when traded in (maps, bonus disks, etc.). Knowing that we would likely undeliver on those expectations, this is why we roll the multiple SKUs up into one SKU. (This way it's a bonus when someone gets a collector's edition and not a bummer when that uber-rare cloth map is missing)

I have asked our online merchandising team to set-up used SKUs immediately upon release, regardless of online availability or the store inventory threshold. Per my previous comment, due to the high sales velocity, accuracy will suffer for those new product listings, so be sure to contact the store before making a trip. (Thanks for the heads up! MGS4 used is now online, btw.)

Regarding Yoda versus Ivy, I think this is more likely due to one of our online merchandising assistants finding Yoda's head MORE erotic than Ivy's bosom. We are weird that way.

Best,
Retro

I'll ask this directly, since it was bundled into my usual rant of gripes with Gamestop in general, but....here goes....

Is there ANY chance in hell of them resurrecting Tradestop.com, Retro? I ask because it'd save ALOT of us gas and wasted time going into the stores to find out that the value on our games is :razz:.

[quote name='IAmTheCheapestGamer']I'll ask this directly, since it was bundled into my usual rant of gripes with Gamestop in general, but....here goes....

Is there ANY chance in hell of them resurrecting Tradestop.com, Retro? I ask because it'd save ALOT of us gas and wasted time going into the stores to find out that the value on our games is :razz:.[/quote]

Hi IATCG,

I unfortunately have to resort to placating you with mysterious corporate double-speak on this one. Here's a response to a previous post:

"There are a couple strategic reasons why it is unlikely we will provide access to our entire used trade-in list online, but we will keep expanding the list whenever we can. We recently redesigned the trade-in values page to give us more flexibility in listing additional values per platform and you should continue to see this expand over time."

In addition to continuing our quest for world domination, we are exploring some cool technology ideas around this topic, but due to our equally important mandate for complex solutions to simple problems, this may take us awhile. ;)

Best,
Retro

In other words, if people could SEE what they'll be getting(normally next to nothing)for their games, they'd likely not trade them in and thus reduce your amount of inventory.

I mean, I understand why it's not all available anymore, but with gas over $4 a gallon and the reluctance of clerks to provide even ONE value over the phone anymore, it's kind of frustrating to have to lug them into the store.

Retro -

I like the fact that used SKU's are being setup for new releases. Before the website overhaul, I remember always being able to store locator on used games that recently just came up. Even if the accuracy drops, I think still it's a nice way for the savvy consumers to find and pick up used titles of new releaeses that they don't want to pay full price for. (and I know GS loves people who buy used :D)

Recently, I've had to ask the employees of my local GS to find the closest store that has a used copy of a new game instead of going to the website.

Thumbs-up.

[quote name='superdry']Retro -

I like the fact that used SKU's are being setup for new releases. Before the website overhaul, I remember always being able to store locator on used games that recently just came up. Even if the accuracy drops, I think still it's a nice way for the savvy consumers to find and pick up used titles of new releaeses that they don't want to pay full price for. (and I know GS loves people who buy used :D)

Recently, I've had to ask the employees of my local GS to find the closest store that has a used copy of a new game instead of going to the website.

Thumbs-up.[/quote]

Thanks, Superdry. Glad I could help. I just got a report that the merchandising team is setting up several hundred new (used) SKUs as we speak/type.

Best,
Retro

[quote name='svt1029']my only issue is that some games that should still be on the website are not, like wario ware which i cant understand for the life of me ... i mean games that are highly rated are virtually non existant to gamestop after a year[/quote]

Yikes, we agree! I just forwarded your comments over to our Director of Online Operations and he is going to schedule a meeting with our buyers ASAP. While we won't be able to impact the store inventory, we will definitely take a pass at ensuring we have the top-rated games from the last two years online. Note that many great games have been discontinued at the publisher level and might otherwise be in short supply. We will do our best.

Thanks for the feedback! (And also to you RainKing)

Best,
Retro

[quote name='Retroactive']There are a couple strategic reasons why it is unlikely we will provide access to our entire used trade-in list online[...][/quote]
Read: people wouldn't bother to trade in so many of their games if they knew they'd get so little for them in advance... ;)

I'm glad to see Gamestop is finally getting around to solving some major issues with their online store, so you have my thanks, Retro, for making sure Gamestop's aware of our complaints (it seems that many games that were inexplicably missing a "used" product page when I last looked for them now have one, which is a very good sign to me.) However, there's still a fair amount left to be done before I'd feel compelled to order a game off your site (and that's to say nothing of how hard it is to compell me to visit your B&M stores anymore either.) Since you're working on many of my biggest guffs, I'll be happy to see how it turns out come next year and decide whether or not to use your site to order from then.

But really, my biggest problems with Gamestop anymore are ones out of your hands: incompetent or unfriendly employees, absurdly high used game prices and absurdly low trade in values ($11 for a game you turn around and sell for three times that much? Really?), and a frighteningly low selection of games that even just have their original cases (let alone manuals) all have just turned me off from buying from Gamestop on a regular basis.

Sorry.

[quote name='jp0213']http://www.gamestop.com/Catalog/ProductDetails.aspx?product_id=67092

I'm going to assume the $200,388 Used copy of Battlefield: Bad Company is a typo? In all seriousness, everything seems to be changing for the better.[/quote]

Before I get someone to fix this, I just want to be sure that everyone is okay if we issue a press release stating that we have lowered our used prices by over $200,000, based on customer feedback from CAG users.

(Hi, Chris!) ;)

In all seriousness, we will get this fixed right away!

Best,
Retro

[quote name='Retroactive']Before I get someone to fix this, I just want to be sure that everyone is okay if we issue a press release stating that we have lowered our used prices by over $200,000, based on customer feedback from CAG users.

(Hi, Chris!) ;)

In all seriousness, we will get this fixed right away!

Best,
Retro[/quote]

Only if you let me trade in a copy for about $25,000 or so, before Edge of course.

[quote name='jp0213']http://www.gamestop.com/Catalog/ProductDetails.aspx?product_id=67092

I'm going to assume the $200,388 Used copy of Battlefield: Bad Company is a typo? In all seriousness, everything seems to be changing for the better.[/quote]

LOL I forget what game it was, but it was just after the Gamestop/EB merger, but the used price was around $12,000 or so on it. There were quite a few like that actually. :whistle2:#:roll:

Just like the recent TRU mess up, the people who put in info for this site must be running on 0 hours of sleep or something when they're doing it.

[quote name='jp0213']I tell you, if they even gave me 1% of that trade-in value I'd be happy.[/QUOTE]

How about a 90% off coupon instead? ;)

(With this crowd, thankfully, we only tend to accidentally mark things UP by wild amounts)

Yeah, if you ever had a glitch that put new release games at 5 bucks, you guys would be wiped out in no time.

I'm sure you can't do anything about this, but you really have to do something about rude, incompetent employees.

I've called stores asking about whether a certain product is in stock, only to be given a quick answer of "no we do not have that." This shows to me that they didn't actually go check their system or stock.

It really bugs me, especially when I call back later or even physically go into the store and it turns out that they really DO have said product in stock.

[quote name='Retroactive']

Yikes, we agree! I just forwarded your comments over to our Director of Online Operations and he is going to schedule a meeting with our buyers ASAP. While we won't be able to impact the store inventory, we will definitely take a pass at ensuring we have the top-rated games from the last two years online. Note that many great games have been discontinued at the publisher level and might otherwise be in short supply. We will do our best.

Thanks for the feedback! (And also to you RainKing)

Best,
Retro[/QUOTE]

So what happened with this? Because I saw Drone Tactics dropped to $19.99 today, went to check GS.com, and of course it's not available online. I realize it's probably not that popular, but it is fairly recent and again GS is the only place sold out of it.

[quote name='GuardianE']So, Retro, do you know what happened to the Soul Calibur 4 Limited Edition on the site?[/quote]

Hey Guardian,

Limited and Collector's Editions are usually just that, "limited." Our buyers attempt to buy enough inventory to meet demand through the release date, but publishers typically only produce a limited, one-time shot of all the extra goodies. If we still have Limited and Collector's inventory sitting around weeks after launch it just means we haven't done a perfect job of predicting the demand. (Which unfortunately lowers the value for collector's out there, like me ;))

Hope that helps.

Best,
Retro

bread's done
Back