GameStop.com Feature Updates

[quote name='Retroactive']Hey Guardian,

Limited and Collector's Editions are usually just that, "limited." Our buyers attempt to buy enough inventory to meet demand through the release date, but publishers typically only produce a limited, one-time shot of all the extra goodies. If we still have Limited and Collector's inventory sitting around weeks after launch it just means we haven't done a perfect job of predicting the demand. (Which unfortunately lowers the value for collector's out there, like me ;))

Hope that helps.

Best,
Retro[/quote]

Oh okay. I just thought that something went wrong because it's not even listed in the online inventory at all. Even games like Mass Effect that have long had their collector's editions out of stock still have a place in the game listing. I thought that maybe it was a bug.

Good to know. Thanks. ;)

[quote name='deadlykeyboard']I'm sure you can't do anything about this, but you really have to do something about rude, incompetent employees.

I've called stores asking about whether a certain product is in stock, only to be given a quick answer of "no we do not have that." This shows to me that they didn't actually go check their system or stock.

It really bugs me, especially when I call back later or even physically go into the store and it turns out that they really DO have said product in stock.[/quote]

I think the rudeness comes from their training(or lack thereof). If they're not some sales drone who pushes their numbers through the roof, then they're probably given slave work to do(like restickering every damn game that price dropped themselves). That's probably what makes them so friggin' rude.

As for calling to check inventory, I think this falls into the same catergory as trade-ins. They want you to have to come in to see if the item IS in stock, so that even if it's NOT, you may walk out having bought SOMETHING.

If they ever did something about rudeness, especially amongst their managers, I know one DM in particular I'd like to have a dog training shock collar permanently and surgically implanted on. :lol:

[quote name='deadlykeyboard']I'm sure you can't do anything about this, but you really have to do something about rude, incompetent employees.

I've called stores asking about whether a certain product is in stock, only to be given a quick answer of "no we do not have that." This shows to me that they didn't actually go check their system or stock.

It really bugs me, especially when I call back later or even physically go into the store and it turns out that they really DO have said product in stock.[/quote]

Hi DeadlyKeyboard,

That's frustrating. Sorry to hear about that.

We can definitely do something about this. If that ever happens again please shoot an email to [email protected] and be sure to include details like the time you called, store location and the associate's name (if provided).

Your feedback will be forwarded to the appropriate field management and the associate(s) will be coached/counseled appropriately.

If you remember the specific details on the last issue you experienced, feel free to send me a private message and I will ensure it gets to the right folks.

Our entire field management team is evaluated (and compensated) based on customer satisfaction, so they take this feedback very seriously. We want to consistently exceed your expectations and it looks like we dropped the ball here.

Best Regards,
Retro

Can I report an incident retroactively then, Retroactive? I had a confrontation with the local DM for Gamestop here named Steve Bennett where he was rude, abrasive and basically threatened to ban me from 'his stores'.

Of course, this stemmed from me raiding numerous stores within his district for game guides that dropped to a penny and I was a bit of a smartass that day I bumped into him, but had his employees been up to date on their duties I would've never found a single item that came up .01. So, in turn, I would've NEVER been able to point out all of the guides that were still on the shelves that should've been pulled already.

[quote name='IAmTheCheapestGamer']Can I report an incident retroactively then, Retroactive? I had a confrontation with the local DM for Gamestop here named Steve Bennett where he was rude, abrasive and basically threatened to ban me from 'his stores'.

Of course, this stemmed from me raiding numerous stores within his district for game guides that dropped to a penny and I was a bit of a smartass that day I bumped into him, but had his employees been up to date on their duties I would've never found a single item that came up .01. So, in turn, I would've NEVER been able to point out all of the guides that were still on the shelves that should've been pulled already.[/quote]

Hi Cheapest,

Sure, the more details you can provide the better. Please send them to [email protected] .

Not knowing all the details, I cannot speak for the DM, but regardless I am sorry you had a bad experience. The .01 guides are not intended for sale and our field management team is working to get them off the salesfloor quicker, both to reduce confusion and to free up valuable shelf space.

As a consumer, I would have tried to purchase these as well. Hard to beat a .01 for anything these days. :)

Best,
Retro

Limited and Collector's Editions are usually just that, "limited." Our buyers attempt to buy enough inventory to meet demand through the release date, but publishers typically only produce a limited, one-time shot of all the extra goodies. If we still have Limited and Collector's inventory sitting around weeks after launch it just means we haven't done a perfect job of predicting the demand. (Which unfortunately lowers the value for collector's out there, like me ;))

Hope that helps.

Best,
Retro[/quote]

Ah, they're back in stock! I think it may have been a production issue then. I just wanted to know what the deal is. That and also the fact that no Gamestops seem to have gotten the promised keychain pre-order bonus for the first few days at least after release.

Hey Retro, since you're the resident Gamestop.com rep, I figured I'd just ask you.

The code you gave us, CAG16 takes of 16%. Our Edge also works online to give us 10%. This should give us 26% off of our Used orders.

Individually, the codes work perfectly. When used in conjunction, Edge takes off 10% but the CAG16 only takes off about 14%. Now, while the untrained eye might not notice, I certainly did. ;) Will this bug be worked out soon?

Does Gamestop.com have the feature that gives you 10 pop-ups saying that you must pre-order Madden 2010 right away otherwise you won't be able to find it when it comes out? If not... Gamestop.com needs to work on that right away. ;)

[quote name='Demolition Man']Does Gamestop.com have the feature that gives you 10 pop-ups saying that you must pre-order Madden 2010 right away otherwise you won't be able to find it when it comes out? If not... Gamestop.com needs to work on that right away. ;)[/quote]

Actually, that qualifies for ANY game that's coming out usually, since I think the people who run Gamestop think there is NO competition out there and that THEY are the ONLY place people should be buying from. :roll:

Oh and I most definitely :lol:'d at the 'you gotta pre-order or you'll never find it thing.

hey retro, do you guys think you could implement some sort of filter that limits search results to just games in your area? sometimes when im searching through games, i see a rare one but its all the way out in the boonies. I guess it'd be more convenient for me to see just the games listed at my local gamestops.

[quote name='GuardianE']Hey Retro, since you're the resident Gamestop.com rep, I figured I'd just ask you.

The code you gave us, CAG16 takes of 16%. Our Edge also works online to give us 10%. This should give us 26% off of our Used orders.

Individually, the codes work perfectly. When used in conjunction, Edge takes off 10% but the CAG16 only takes off about 14%. Now, while the untrained eye might not notice, I certainly did. ;) Will this bug be worked out soon?[/quote]

Hey Guardian,

Not actually a bug, this is just how the discount system works.

As you noticed, the system only applies one discount at a time, so any subsequent discounts are taken off the already reduced price. For example, if you bought a $100 product and happened to be lucky enough to have two 50% off coupons, the original total would be reduced by half and, after you enter the second coupon, the remainder would be reduced by 50% The final price would be $25.

The good news is that the smaller Edge discount should be triggered first, which should maximize the discount.

At least I think that's how it works. ;) If not, let me know.

Best,
Retro

[quote name='publiicprivates']hey retro, do you guys think you could implement some sort of filter that limits search results to just games in your area? sometimes when im searching through games, i see a rare one but its all the way out in the boonies. I guess it'd be more convenient for me to see just the games listed at my local gamestops.[/quote]

Hi Publiic,

That's an awesome idea. We could drop that option right into the filter bar under the "availability" section.

i.e.
> Within 10 miles of 76034
> Within 20 miles of 76034
> Within 30 miles of 76034

That said, I have no clue what the overhead would be on the search engine as it would need to query results from a massive matrix of store inventory. (Simpler on the product page as it just needs to index one SKU)

I'll toss the idea over to the developers and let them take a pass as the impact.

Again, great idea. I would definitely use that to browse local store inventory. If it makes the project list, I'll set you up with one of those aforementioned 50% off coupons. ;)

Best,
Retro

[quote name='Demolition Man']Does Gamestop.com have the feature that gives you 10 pop-ups saying that you must pre-order Madden 2010 right away otherwise you won't be able to find it when it comes out? If not... Gamestop.com needs to work on that right away. ;)[/quote]

Hey Demolition,

But why stop there... How about a site-wide pop-up for a lifetime Madden subscription? Then you'll NEVER have to worry about us running out or miss out on the amazing "Madden for gerbils" feature to be announced in 2025. Heck, we'll even deliver copies to you after you're dead; just keep that credit card active!

Your Pal,
Retro

[quote name='Kain Vincent']I'm hoping for a permanent way to enable the "show used games not in stock" instead of having to manually do it every time.[/QUOTE]

Hi All,

Everyone agree?

Adding this setting to the long-term cookie would be doable and we might even be able to get this change in this year.

Let me know your thoughts.

Thanks for the feedback, Kain!

Best,
Retro

Last edited by a moderator:

Not actually a bug, this is just how the discount system works.

As you noticed, the system only applies one discount at a time, so any subsequent discounts are taken off the already reduced price. For example, if you bought a $100 product and happened to be lucky enough to have two 50% off coupons, the original total would be reduced by half and, after you enter the second coupon, the remainder would be reduced by 50% The final price would be $25.

The good news is that the smaller Edge discount should be triggered first, which should maximize the discount.

At least I think that's how it works. ;) If not, let me know.

Best,
Retro[/quote]

Ah, lo and behold, it's true. I guess I just figured that because in store Edge+Coupons only deduct from the original price, the same would apply online.

I admit that I always have the "show used items not in stock" option on. It doesn't really bother me that I have to click it sometimes, but I guess it might be nice to have the preference remembered. (although I could've sworn it was remembered if you have a Gamestop.com account)

[quote name='Retroactive']Hi All,

Everyone agree?

Adding this setting to the long-term cookie would be doable and we might even be able to get this change in this year.

Best,
Retro[/quote]Yes, please do. It's a rare case that I don't need to click that in a search.

Something I think might be nice would be to have a Used Bestsellers list in addition to the one on the main page. The only reason I say this is because that's easily the best way to see what used deals people are getting in on (via price drops, new stock, etc) and the one on the main page is always flooded with pre-orders for upcoming games.

Obviously, you want to market these games that are coming out, but at the same time you'll want to capture your used game audience as well.

maybe you guys at gamestop can incorporate gamerankings.com scores and have an option to list games by game ranking or meta critic score. That'd be cool, or just by the scores from your actual review system, although there is a large amount of games not reviewed.

[quote name='publiicprivates']maybe you guys at gamestop can incorporate gamerankings.com scores and have an option to list games by game ranking or meta critic score. That'd be cool, or just by the scores from your actual review system, although there is a large amount of games not reviewed.[/quote]

Not sure if that'll fly. Gamestop wants to sell games to you, both the good and bad. If they inform you which games are being received poorly by critics, they could be hurting potential sales. I wouldn't be surprised if they had little links that read "Received a 10 on IGN!" with the titles that are more obvious. That and it kinda looks like Gamestop has a partnership with Gamespot, as they list their articles at the bottom of item screens.

ahh, that makes sense, although from what ive seen of their employees, they would rather the person get a good game then a really crappy one. Maybe they could incorporate game informer at least since that is their official magazine and i already see their employees use it as a bible for selling or dissuading

case in point:
Customer: Hey can i get kingdom under fire for 360
Employee: Nope, that game sucks, dont get it
Customer: Really, i liked the series
Employee: Nope, even game informer says it sucks(employee flips out a copy of game informer and shows abysmal review)

[quote name='publiicprivates']ahh, that makes sense, although from what ive seen of their employees, they would rather the person get a good game then a really crappy one. Maybe they could incorporate game informer at least since that is their official magazine and i already see their employees use it as a bible for selling or dissuading

case in point:
Customer: Hey can i get kingdom under fire for 360
Employee: Nope, that game sucks, dont get it
Customer: Really, i liked the series
Employee: Nope, even game informer says it sucks(employee flips out a copy of game informer and shows abysmal review)[/quote]

Gamestop employees hardly have the corporate interests at heart. Some of them are real gamers who don't want you spending money on crap. That's up to their discretion.

I obviously can't speak for Gamestop.com, and who knows, they may implement a compiled rating as Amazon puts grades from 1up on their product descriptions, but I would think GS'd be less inclined to do it. With online transactions, there's no middleman and no salesperson so they don't need to establish a rapport with you like a Gamestop employee might.

It would be incredibly beneficial for GameStop to specifically inventory games that are disc-only, or missing the book, or missing the cover art. It's not as big of a deal in-store, since most of us pass on games that aren't complete. It isn't fair that GS charges the same price whether a game's complete or disc-only. I understand that GS also gives the same (generally) regardless of whether a game is complete or not, but most of us would gladly sacrifice that, and accept getting less for a non-complete game, if GS would in-turn lower their prices on non-complete games. Collectors and people that are picky on games being complete would seek out the complete games, and people that are more laid-back would love to save some money by getting the disc-only game.

[quote name='Retroactive']Hi All,

Everyone agree?

Best,
Retro[/quote]

Yes, I usually just google whatever game i'm looking for so it'll come up through there whether it's in-stock or not.

[quote name='JTHuffy']It would be incredibly beneficial for GameStop to specifically inventory games that are disc-only, or missing the book, or missing the cover art. It's not as big of a deal in-store, since most of us pass on games that aren't complete. It isn't fair that GS charges the same price whether a game's complete or disc-only. I understand that GS also gives the same (generally) regardless of whether a game is complete or not, but most of us would gladly sacrifice that, and accept getting less for a non-complete game, if GS would in-turn lower their prices on non-complete games. Collectors and people that are picky on games being complete would seek out the complete games, and people that are more laid-back would love to save some money by getting the disc-only game.[/quote]

I agree with that, but that would technically triple the amount of SKU's.

Here's another suggestion, how about cancellation emails? I ordered Super Swing Golf Season 2 from GameStop.com when it dropped to $20, and while it was listed as being in stock. Then I forgot about it. I saw someone else mention the series elsewhere and it jogged my memory that I'd ordered the game but never got it. So I went to check the status of my order and was not very pleased to discover they had simply canceled it without informing me. It would be nice to recieve an email when this happens.

How about an "Alert me when it becomes available" option on the site for out of stock items? Simply put in your email and get info when it comes back in stock. This would be helpful for rarer games.

[quote name='GuardianE']Something I think might be nice would be to have a Used Bestsellers list in addition to the one on the main page. The only reason I say this is because that's easily the best way to see what used deals people are getting in on (via price drops, new stock, etc) and the one on the main page is always flooded with pre-orders for upcoming games.

Obviously, you want to market these games that are coming out, but at the same time you'll want to capture your used game audience as well.[/quote]

Guardian,

Cool idea--wish we had more space for another databox, without adding another row. I can get you there in two clicks though.

Option 1: Click the used tab found in the top navigation bar and then click the "Shop all used games" link. The results will be displayed in bestseller order.

Option 2: Select "Used Games" from the search drop-down and then hit "Go". You'll get to the same page, sorted in bestseller order.

(Another somewhat related tip is to just hit "go" from any blank search; then you can use the filter bar to search the entire catalog, including deals and recent price drops)

Hope this helps.

Best,
Retro

[quote name='publiicprivates']maybe you guys at gamestop can incorporate gamerankings.com scores and have an option to list games by game ranking or meta critic score. That'd be cool, or just by the scores from your actual review system, although there is a large amount of games not reviewed.[/quote]

Hey Public,

Yeah, we gnash our teeth over this one quite a bit. Ultimately, we decided that we really want people to read the body of the professional and customer generated reviews/ratings, which focus on specific features and benefits, as opposed to just relying on a score and potentially missing out on a great game. Reading the reviews and summaries gives context to the reviewer's possible bias, maturity, likes, dislikes, etc. So...we decided to provide the customer review score on the product page, but also require some specific rating criteria, based on the genre of game. A little more work to click around, but hopefully it provides a bit more context.

Definitely pros and cons to either approach and your feedback is duely noted for the next time we have a teeth gnashing session. ;)

Best,
Retro

[quote name='GuardianE'] I wouldn't be surprised if they had little links that read "Received a 10 on IGN!" with the titles that are more obvious. That and it kinda looks like Gamestop has a partnership with Gamespot, as they list their articles at the bottom of item screens.[/quote]

All,

A little off-topic, but what content source would you prefer we include on the site for the full-text professional reviews/previews?

Do you like IGN, GameSpot or GameInformer content better? Why or why not? Our access to GameInformer content is currently limited, but they've been adding a lot of additional content to gameinformer.com lately, so that's not out of the question. We've had both IGN and Gamespot content over the years and I've never heard a strong preference from users either way.

Let me know.

Thanks,
Retro

[quote name='JTHuffy']It would be incredibly beneficial for GameStop to specifically inventory games that are disc-only, or missing the book, or missing the cover art. It's not as big of a deal in-store, since most of us pass on games that aren't complete. It isn't fair that GS charges the same price whether a game's complete or disc-only. I understand that GS also gives the same (generally) regardless of whether a game is complete or not, but most of us would gladly sacrifice that, and accept getting less for a non-complete game, if GS would in-turn lower their prices on non-complete games. Collectors and people that are picky on games being complete would seek out the complete games, and people that are more laid-back would love to save some money by getting the disc-only game.[/quote]

Hi JT,

Thanks for the feedback.

We agree completely and understand this is our biggest problem to fix. Our plan is to guarantee boxes and instructions for all next-gen product starting in Spring 2009. We unfortunatly don't have a way to keep our used inventory separate from the store inventory yet, but we will soon have a new fulfillment system that will allow this. In the interim we are including black DVD cases and generic sleeves with every "disc only" product and you are always welcome to take advantage of our in-store exchange policy if the product doesn't meet your needs.

I know this is a hassle and wish we could have delivered a full solution to you this year. My apologies.

Best,
Retro

[quote name='Hybrid5006']I agree with that, but that would technically triple the amount of SKU's.[/quote]

Yeah, providing both quality types online would be an issue. We use the manufacturer UPC as the primary identifier and when there are two different SKUs for the same UPC our fulfillment/return process starts to fall apart. Best we will be able to do online in the medium term is to filter out products without box and instructions (which should still be a major improvement).

Thanks for the clarification on this, I missed the original intent.

Best,
Retro

[quote name='Retroactive']All,

A little off-topic, but what content source would you prefer we include on the site for the full-text professional reviews/previews?

Do you like IGN, GameSpot or GameInformer content better? Why or why not? Our access to GameInformer content is currently limited, but they've been adding a lot of additional content to gameinformer.com lately, so that's not out of the question. We've had both IGN and Gamespot content over the years and I've never heard a strong preference from users either way.

Let me know.

Thanks,
Retro[/quote]

I've heard a variety of opinions on the topic. Some argue that Gamestop is Microsoft centric and reviews more harshly. Some argue that IGN is generally too quick to give good reviews and favors Sony. I generally read both before making any decision.

I also take a look at Gamespy and Gametrailers. Gametrailers is growing by the day and becoming a very recognizable resource for video gaming news. I also take Famitsu ratings into account.

Metacritic and GameRankings.com are always an excellent choice if you don't have time to read entire reviews.

I don't know if I really answered your question, but the long and short of it is that you'll never please everyone and most people won't really have a strong aversion either way. You may want to explore options with Gametrailers, though, as their userbase seems to be very strong.

[quote name='rainking187']Here's another suggestion, how about cancellation emails? I ordered Super Swing Golf Season 2 from GameStop.com when it dropped to $20, and while it was listed as being in stock. Then I forgot about it. I saw someone else mention the series elsewhere and it jogged my memory that I'd ordered the game but never got it. So I went to check the status of my order and was not very pleased to discover they had simply canceled it without informing me. It would be nice to recieve an email when this happens.[/quote]

Hey Rainking,

Ooops, that's not right. Our system is always supposed to notify you when an order is cancelled. Shoot me your order number via a private message and I will ask our merchandisers to research the issue so this doesn't happen again.

Thanks for the heads up.

Best,
Retro

[quote name='GuardianE']How about an "Alert me when it becomes available" option on the site for out of stock items? Simply put in your email and get info when it comes back in stock. This would be helpful for rarer games.[/quote]

Guardian,

This is another teeth gnasher. We actually removed this feature last year as it was causing some unintended harm. The rarer the game, the bigger the problem. What happened was thousands of folks would sign up to be notified on individual rare games, while we typically only receive them one at a time and then only rarely. We would send the email and it would of course sell out instantly, with one very happy person and thousands of very unhappy people. As we typically only received 2-3 copies of the really rare games annually and they represented 99% of the demand, the service was providing no value to the majority of folks that used it. It unfortunately just turned into a glorified lottery. :cry: In concept it sounds great, but we just never had access to enough inventory to support it.

Hope this makes sense and thanks again for feedback.

Best,
Retro

sounds good retro, i just noticed some games didnt show both used and new, whats the deal with that? also, could you guys make some sort of option for multiplatform games to show the other systems a game is on like say i want to play marvel ultimate alliance but its currently unavailable as xbox 1 but i also have other systems i could play it on so i see that its also on ps2 or psp or something and i buy it. I think this might help boost sales on a bunch of stuff, althought i do not know how hard this would be on you guys. Hard work Retro!

[quote name='publiicprivates']sounds good retro, i just noticed some games didnt show both used and new, whats the deal with that? also, could you guys make some sort of option for multiplatform games to show the other systems a game is on like say i want to play marvel ultimate alliance but its currently unavailable as xbox 1 but i also have other systems i could play it on so i see that its also on ps2 or psp or something and i buy it. I think this might help boost sales on a bunch of stuff, althought i do not know how hard this would be on you guys. Hard work Retro![/quote]

Try checking your local Kmart for Marvel Ultimate Alliance(if you have one that didn't close during the last round of closures), since it should be out of the system and should come up as $5 if you can find and sweet talk a clerk into selling it for the last selling price.

dear retro,
dont worry about listing disk only or complete online. if people are too call and ask then screw them. thanks. ps love your store.

[quote name='monkeydeew']dear retro,
dont worry about listing disk only or complete online. if people are too call and ask then screw them. thanks. ps love your store.[/quote]

How are they supposed to call the site and ask? I'm thinking you're talking about people calling the store and I'm sure that the sales monkeys who are trained and graded on their sales numbers would just LIE to the consumers who do call and ask about the completeness of games just to get them off the phone.

There are very few good, customer oriented Gamestop clerks out there, most of them are just programmed to 'sell, sell, sell' and have the personality of dog shit when it comes to customer service.

No offense to those on here who work for GS and actually give exemplary customer service, but usually if you're a nitpicky consumer you're not a good, blind, obedient GS customer who'll take the first shitty disc they plop in a case and toss in a bag for you.

[quote name='IAmTheCheapestGamer']How are they supposed to call the site and ask? I'm thinking you're talking about people calling the store and I'm sure that the sales monkeys who are trained and graded on their sales numbers would just LIE to the consumers who do call and ask about the completeness of games just to get them off the phone.

There are very few good, customer oriented Gamestop clerks out there, most of them are just programmed to 'sell, sell, sell' and have the personality of dog shit when it comes to customer service.

No offense to those on here who work for GS and actually give exemplary customer service, but usually if you're a nitpicky consumer you're not a good, blind, obedient GS customer who'll take the first shitty disc they plop in a case and toss in a bag for you.[/quote]

yeah i meant the store availability listing. my point is, the person that deserves the game is the person that drives out there to check it out in person. screw making it easy for lazy mofo hoarders to swoop up everything decent that comes through

I agree and I will admit that their availability thing has been getting MUCH better on being accurate lately, since I was able to find flippable copies of DBZ 3 for Wii and a couple other games relatively easily.

[quote name='Retroactive']Before making a drive, just remember to always call the store first to confirm availability and product condition.[/quote]i did that one time for Lumines PSP. i found a store that had it through the locator. i called the store and i asked if they had it in stock. the guy says yeah. i said to make sure because the drive is about 10 miles away. he told me he was looking at it right there for the PSP, he said so himself. so i said i'll be picking it up in 20 mins. i get there, the guy said he thought i meant PS2 :dunce:. speechless.

I can't find a product page for Formula 1: Championship Edition for the Playstation 3 on Gamestop.com. Is there any particular reason it's missing, or did it just get culled from the system? It'd greatly help being able to find used copies of the game in store via the site, rather than having to call each individual store.

[quote name='Bravelionheart']I can't find a product page for Formula 1: Championship Edition for the Playstation 3 on Gamestop.com. Is there any particular reason it's missing, or did it just get culled from the system? It'd greatly help being able to find used copies of the game in store via the site, rather than having to call each individual store.[/QUOTE]
It's right here. http://www.ebgames.com/Catalog/ProductDetails.aspx?product_id=64554
Did you click on "Show Backordered Items"?

bread's done
Back