Gamestop.com Spanish edition games?

Link127

CAGiversary!
Feedback
26 (100%)
While perusing the new releases to jot down a list for TRU this week (unless i can somehow get BB to match the deal), i noticed Spanish editions of Jade Empire and Halo 2.

Not exactly a "deal" i guess, but never heard of Spanish versions before. Mods feel free to move if appropriate (or delete if this is a dup).

Linkage:

Jade Empire Spanish: http://www.gamestop.com/product.asp?product_id=410563

Halo 2 Spanish:
http://www.gamestop.com/product.asp?product_id=410562

P.S. Now that's how to learn a language!

[quote name='Link127']P.S. Now that's how to learn a language![/QUOTE]

On the contrary. The spanish speakers should be playing the regular english versions to learn a language for once and finally join the rest of society. Then they wouldn't have to do b.s. US/Canada releases like this.

[quote name='Nogib']On the contrary. The spanish speakers should be playing the regular english versions to learn a language for once and finally join the rest of society. Then they wouldn't have to do b.s. US/Canada releases like this.[/QUOTE]

Good thing the Japanese didn't think this way, or I doubt we'd have Cheap Ass Gamer forums to write our idiotic ideas.

[quote name='Nogib']On the contrary. The spanish speakers should be playing the regular english versions to learn a language for once and finally join the rest of society. Then they wouldn't have to do b.s. US/Canada releases like this.[/QUOTE]

I'm with you here. The Spanish version should only be sold in Mexico, Spain, Puerto Rico, etc.
It's one thing to offer a Mexican, Puerto Rican, El Salavadorian, etc. channels or programs on Cable or Satellite from their native land but it's quite another to offer a product in Spanish where they're staying when the people speak ENGLISH!

[quote name='Sarang01']I'm with you here. The Spanish version should only be sold in Mexico, Spain, Puerto Rico, etc.
It's one thing to offer a Mexican, Puerto Rican, El Salavadorian, etc. channels or programs on Cable or Satellite from their native land but it's quite another to offer a product in Spanish where they're staying when the people speak ENGLISH![/QUOTE]

how does this hurt you?

It was probably mentioned before, but sometimes I see French Canadian versions of games being sold in U.S. K-Marts. For some reason they usually have a couple in every store mixed in with the regular U.S. versions, but the back is in English & French, and sometimes there is even an extra French book shrinkwrapped to the box. I remember seeing it even on a "Threads of Fate", "Legend of Mana" and "Star Wars: Jedi Power Battles" for PSone years ago.

[quote name='mbstuff']Good thing the Japanese didn't think this way, or I doubt we'd have Cheap Ass Gamer forums to write our idiotic ideas.[/QUOTE]

I'm with you here. These people need to get off their high horses and accept the fact that the people of the US will be speaking many different languages for many years to come.

Of course, because of all those things you have so much trouble doing because other people don't speak English. :roll:

I remember reading in my US History textbooks that the Native Americans used to have this same debate.

Native American 1 "Do you think we should make them learn our language?"
Native American 2 "Why? They seem like good people. Let's let them do their thing and we'll do our thing, and when we need to talk to one another we'll meet in the middle."
Native American 1 "Yeah, I guess your right. I mean, they seem reasonable."

Kiss my brown Ass!!

Dude I bet you have a confederate flag on your car or something. Now a days its necessary to have more skills such as be bilingual or trilingual. I speak fluent spanish and english and that has help me a lot. I prefer to speak english more than spanish plus if there are so many services for spanish speaking people its for a reason, there is a lot of demand for it. Depending on what part of the USA you're in.

It's the expectation that I should speak Spanish and they shouldn't speak English that is ridiculous. I work in retail and this expectation exists. It's ridiculous. I don't head over to X country expecting them to speak Y language.

[quote name='peterhql']It's the expectation that I should speak Spanish and they shouldn't speak English that is ridiculous. I work in retail and this expectation exists. It's ridiculous. I don't head over to X country expecting them to speak Y language.[/QUOTE]

Rather than provide a blanket expectation of what "they" demand, perhaps some examples could enlighten your point?

[quote name='peterhql']It's the expectation that I should speak Spanish and they shouldn't speak English that is ridiculous. I work in retail and this expectation exists. It's ridiculous. I don't head over to X country expecting them to speak Y language.[/QUOTE]

"They" aren't visitors, "they" live here. Do we speak Native American langauges, or did the language used in North America shift over time as population shifts occured?

Also, many Americans do go to other countries and expect to be spoken to in English. And, while we are at it, why should anyone in here give a fuck if companies want to make more money by making games for accessible to others by offering them in multiple languages?

[quote name='gregthomas77']"They" aren't visitors, "they" live here. Do we speak Native American langauges, or did the language used in North America shift over time as population shifts occured?

Also, many Americans do go to other countries and expect to be spoken to in English. And, while we are at it, why should anyone in here give a fuck if companies want to make more money by making games for accessible to others by offering them in multiple languages?[/QUOTE]

True, they live here.
True, we shouldn't care about multiple language games.

However if I, personally, visited other countries I would not expect it and if I moved to Africa and lived in Nigeria, I'd learn Nigerian.

This is a more baised question and answer based on where you live. I for one live in gainesville ga. It has the largest population of illegal immagrants. I have a brother in law that is from mexico. He came here and learned english he has a job and works harder then most americans I know. He is a good person and a great friend. English however is still hard for him. He can speak english and understand it however many time people, movie, or games speak to fast for him to cath it all. SO spanish subtitles would help.

I do agree though that we offer and cater to much to the spanish speaking people. Here in gainesville they anounce over the speakers at walmart in spanish before english. We have spaish signs everywhere. Its just annoying. I think if they live here then yes they should have to learn english. At least enough to read road signs.

It easier for people who live without the mixed culture such as gainesville to say that we are being mean however they do not live with it.

[quote name='Mr_hockey66']This is a more baised question and answer based on where you live. I for one live in gainesville ga. It has the largest population of illegal immagrants. I have a brother in law that is from mexico. He came here and learned english he has a job and works harder then most americans I know. He is a good person and a great friend. English however is still hard for him. He can speak english and understand it however many time people, movie, or games speak to fast for him to cath it all. SO spanish subtitles would help.

I do agree though that we offer and cater to much to the spanish speaking people. Here in gainesville they anounce over the speakers at walmart in spanish before english. We have spaish signs everywhere. Its just annoying. I think if they live here then yes they should have to learn english. At least enough to read road signs.

It easier for people who live without the mixed culture such as gainesville to say that we are being mean however they do not live with it.[/QUOTE]

Swiss or cheddar?

[quote name='Mr_hockey66']This is a more baised question and answer based on where you live. I for one live in gainesville ga. It has the largest population of illegal immagrants. I have a brother in law that is from mexico. He came here and learned english he has a job and works harder then most americans I know. He is a good person and a great friend. English however is still hard for him. He can speak english and understand it however many time people, movie, or games speak to fast for him to cath it all. SO spanish subtitles would help.

It easier for people who live without the mixed culture such as gainesville to say that we are being mean however they do not live with it.[/QUOTE]

I agree, I live and work in a large hispanic area. Call me mean, bias, racist, unlucky or whatever you want. It's simply a pain in the ass to be at a disadvantage because I don't speak Spanish, yet I live in the United States.

Im just not a very good at the keyboard. Or have the time to go back and edit. Anyway lets not turn this into a flame thread. I didn't say anything mean or call any names. Im just stating my opinion.

Lets keep it civil people.

I lived in Germany for over a year.

I did not expect people to speak my language, nor did I expect things to be in English to cater to me. Now, I did appreciate it when that was the case. But, I would be the first to concede that if I chose to live there indefinitely I should have learned German. It was GERMANY after all.

I think the same goes for Spanish speaking people in America. I do not care that they speak Spanish, that is their right but I care that I am expected to learn Spanish so that I can speak to them. That's very backwards. I care that our signs, announcements and even polling stations! should be translated to Spanish to cater to them. If you want to integrate into our society, then begin by accepting our language. By all means remember your roots, but respect your new home while you are at it.

I worked at Burger King once, with a primarily Mexican crew. One couple there in particular worked very hard during the day to master English. They had my utmost respect. Others there however, could not communicate at all and in order to get something done I would have to either speak in Spanish or have someone who spoke Spanish communicate with them. That should not be considered normal or acceptable. America's strength is through it's unity. I am a bit of German, French and even Cherokee. But its obvious that I'm speaking English. If we make it too easy for people from Spanish speaking countries to get along without learning our language, they never will and our nation will become increasingly fragmented.

If you doubt what such fragmentation can do, look no further than the Quebec province in Canada. They would have voted them self out of Canada twice already if not for other Canadians coming into their province to vote. The mandatory two language system is not one that America would benefit from and not one I want to see reproduced. As such, we should be working harder to encourage people who are here, to learn our language and integrate into our culture, rather than going out of our way to cater to their language.

I'm still trying to figure out how your lives are so inconvenienced because other people speak Spanish. So far your scoreboard consists of: Spanish versions of games widely available in English, and Spanish announcements coming before English in Wal-Mart.

Not really enough to mobilize the troops on, don't you think? As a wise person once said, "Cry me a fuckin' river."

EDIT: Oh, let's add "Burger King" to your list, because it's so fucking hard to train someone to slap together a whopper. :roll:

It is not just a matter of inconvenience. As I eluded to, a great deal of our strength lies in our unity. If you look at countries, or even cities that have large portions of the population speaking different languages, you will also notice that they are much more fragmented.

If you want examples though, we have Spanish language ballots (I consider this alone huge, people that can't even understand English are deciding who leads the country?), we have billions spent on providing Spanish language education in public schools (for those unwilling to learn English), we have games, tv, music and so on (of course the latter are not very big problems). The problems is that my grand mom can't get around Miami without speaking Spanish. She can't shop or do much of anything without learning another language. Why? Because we bend over backwards to make it easy not to learn English, and in turn expect English speakers to learn Spanish rather than expecting the inverse.

We had a debate amongst Democratic presidential candidates. IN SPANISH! Most Americans couldn't understand it without a interpreter and yet this was a debate amongst people that wanted to run the country. Why?

So, aside from the inconvenience and the potential to fragment our country you also have the unfairness of it. Spanish is not among the top three spoken languages in the world. It isn't among the top three on the Internet either. English is second to Mandarin Chinese in terms of spoken languages and first on the Internet. If we were to fairly cater to other languages, we would have to have a multitude of things in Mandarin, Hindustani, Japanese, French and so on. But, as it is we show preference for Spanish. So, it isn't even fair. The fact is that we have a language, it serves us fine and I can understand some minor concessions but importance should be placed on learning English if you are living in America, the importance should not be on learning Spanish to function in America.

[quote name='Mr_hockey66']I do agree though that we offer and cater to much to the spanish speaking people.[/QUOTE]

That was my original point exactly to which many clueless dolts seem to have missed and as usual with this f'd up country, assume racism. My ancestors came here and immediately learned english in order to survive and get good jobs. It is not unreasonable for me to simply expect the same out of people who currently come here. I'm not against people coming here at all. I think it's great that they are trying to improve their quality of life. But I am not in the wrong in any way shape or form expecting them to at least try to be assimilated into the rest of society rather than hiding in their own cultural cliques. If they want to continue to intentionally segregate themselves from everyone else, be my guest but don't bitch or whine about anything then. Besides, if I went to france, I'd learn french and not be stuck in some ridiculous notion that I should be able to speak english everywhere.

[quote name='peterhql']It's simply a pain in the ass to be at a disadvantage because I don't speak Spanish, yet I live in the United States.[/QUOTE]

Bingo.

In terms of representation, you're making the incorrect argument. Cerainly chinese dialects, hindi, arabic and farsi all probably have a far larger "user base" than Spanish. However, your argument purposely ignores the obvious fact that none of those languages are represented to the extent that Spanish is within the United States.

I don't see the problem with accomodating such a portion of our populace; how many presidential debates were available in English? With that in mind, I don't see the problem of having one in Spanish (and I don't imagine that all the candidates were speaking in Spanish, so what would be so difficult about that? There's no inconvenience there.

Regarding spanish ballots, you're mistaking linguistic ability and cognitive ability; it's not as if Spanish speaking people within the United States aren't aware of political issues, or they are inherently stupid. That's just an empty argument.

Regarding fragmentation and unity, citing Quebec is interesting, because you're making the argument that *language* becomes the root cause of such fragmentation. The situation there is far deeper than merely language, and in the end, language becomes a salient manifestation of the divide; it is the result, and not the cause, of other factors that created fragmentation. Correlation is not the same thing as causation, I always say.

I'd be curious to find the specific kinds of examples of your mother's shopping inconveniences. Market rules, if we believe them, would dictate that it is the shopowner's responsibility to ensure openness to a wide variety of customers; the failure to do so would surely lead, theoretically anyway, to an end to that business.

Locally, a bar was recently cited because it had a sign in the front window that declared "for service, please speak English." At a minimum, the bar has to take the sign down; at most, they will receive a fine for discrimination (that had not yet been decided). I imagine that you feel empathy for those people in the community who sided with the bar, and support its willingness to not serve a sector of the community.

[quote name='mykevermin']Regarding spanish ballots, you're mistaking linguistic ability and cognitive ability; it's not as if Spanish speaking people within the United States aren't aware of political issues, or they are inherently stupid. That's just an empty argument.[/QUOTE]

On the contrary. Unless every party/candidate had each and every speech/debate/press release/etc, properly translated into other languages and gotten enough mainstream distribution for every legal voter, can you honestly say that people who may not have a grasp of the english language fully understand where the candidates stand on all the issues? I think not. They'll just bandwagon on to whomever uses some sort of buzzword proclaiming to represent their "community." Which again is something I despise. There should be no Latino American, African American, Asian American distinctions at all. Since when is it a crime to simply be an American and nothing more? After all you don't see me running around proclaiming to be a European American because it would be utterly ludicrous to do so. Now only if the other "communities" would wake up and realize the same fucking thing.

(Perhaps we should get this thread moved over to the Vs Mode forum instead)

http://www.cnn.com/espanol/

It's markedly better than the kind of propoganda put out by individual politicians and their campaigns.

Regarding your off-the-cuff tirade about various "_____-Americans," if you truly think that we can acheive a "colorblind" society, in which meritocratic standards rule all, and discrimination does not exist, you are obviously disconnected with reality to a degree that no amount of language study can repair. Any study of racial discrimination in the 40 years after the passage of the Civil Rights Act can show you that much.

You mean to say that you are willing to just concede defeat and blindly accept racial and socio-economic disparity without even trying to change things? Wow....just wow.
Accepting current status-quo has historically never proven to be a wise position. If striving for equality is "wrong" then I definitely don't want to be "right" like you.

You're confusing "accepting the status quo" and "making policy decisions based upon empirical reality, rather than attempting to acheive something that has been proven to be impossible."

If I cite Devah Pager (a sociologist), she found that white males with *felony convictions on record* received more callbacks for job inquiries on the same jobs as black males with *no criminal record*. This is keeping all your controls equal; education, age, skills, and jobs sought. The ONLY thing that varied was race and felon status. Still, whites got more job opportunities than blacks, despite being ex-felons. This study was performed less than 4 years ago, and was just published in the last 2-3 years. Almost 35 years after the passage of the Civil Rights Act. Does this show that we have our shit together? Does this show that race does not matter? Does this suggest that employers turn a blind eye to race when assessing qualifications for the job? In short, absolutely not.

You'll have to excuse me if I'm not so foolish as to believe that race is something that will be ignored in the marketplace in my lifetime, or that of my children or grandchildren. There is nothing forward-looking that suggests it is possible; so, in the same vain as my attempt to grow wings and fly, I abandon the notion of a colorblind society to the dustbin of ideas that just aren't possible. Instead, I believe that our policies should reflect and attack this kind of racial discrimination in the job market; this can be directly related to policies such as Affirmative Action, that try to rectify discrimination (and is a policy that is despised by people who try to consider things in a "colorblind" fashion).

What sort of policy recommendations might you have to put us on the path to a colorblind society?

Mods, I can't help myself; it's high time to move this dude into the right forum.

[quote name='mykevermin']If I cite Devah Pager (a sociologist), she found that white males with *felony convictions on record* received more callbacks for job inquiries on the same jobs as black males with *no criminal record*. This is keeping all your controls equal; education, age, skills, and jobs sought. The ONLY thing that varied was race and felon status. Still, whites got more job opportunities than blacks, despite being ex-felons. This study was performed less than 4 years ago, and was just published in the last 2-3 years. Almost 35 years after the passage of the Civil Rights Act. Does this show that we have our shit together? Does this show that race does not matter? Does this suggest that employers turn a blind eye to race when assessing qualifications for the job? In short, absolutely not.[/QUOTE]

But on the other hand there are some pretty crazy things that fall under being a felony and not a misdemeanor. Most if not all employers, after asking if you were ever convicted of a felony, will then ask what it was for. Without having broken it down further into what specific felonies all of these various men committed, this has to be taken with a grain of salt. Not saying that the results are wrong, just saying the whole picture isn't there.

[quote name='mykevermin']What sort of policy recommendations might you have to put us on the path to a colorblind society? [/QUOTE]

Blue paint. Lots and lots of blue paint. :)

Regarding spanish ballots, you're mistaking linguistic ability and cognitive ability; it's not as if Spanish speaking people within the United States aren't aware of political issues, or they are inherently stupid. That's just an empty argument.

Last time I checked you have to be a citizen to vote. And last time I checked naturization is required to for citizenship...

http://uscis.gov/graphics/services/natz/index.htm

"an ability to read, write, and speak English;"

End of discussion.

[quote name='Nogib'] After all you don't see me running around proclaiming to be a European American because it would be utterly ludicrous to do so. Now only if the other "communities" would wake up and realize the same fucking thing.

(Perhaps we should get this thread moved over to the Vs Mode forum instead)[/QUOTE]

[rant]On another note, who's sick and tired of the 100 pride parades that go on during the year. I'm sick and tired of taking a 1 mile detour just so I can cross the street. Furthermore, I also love the people that partake in these things too. Always 2nd or 3rd generation Americans that haven't a clue of their culture. They should be proud of their parents that escaped the shitholes from which they came. Who remembers the infamous Puerto Rican Day parade in NYC a couple years back. [/rant]

I'm colorblind because policies that are created to fight discrimination is discrimination in its own right.

Just because our society isn't always equal or fair does not mean that we should stop trying to make it so.

The only fair thing to do, is to recognize one official language and to stick with that. Walmart having things in Spanish? That's capitalism. But, when our government starts showing favoritism towards a specific language other then English and we're not just hurting our own unity but we're also treating others unfairly.

For instance, my wife is German. Born and raised in Germany and her native language is guess what? German.

Yet, they do not do presidential debates in German (for the record they DID speak Spanish, Lieberman really butchered it though), they have ballots, drivers license tests, even the official US site, us.gov is in Spanish as well as English, while other languages are relegated to general information. My wife has to fully integrate into American society and learn English to function within this society. She recognizes this and appreciates this.

Yet, a Spanish speaking person has the government itself catering to their native language, costing us taxpayer dollars and rewarding people who refuse to adapt to our culture.

My wife is from Germany. My ancestry traces back to England, and as I said I have bits of German, French and Cherokee. But, do you know what my wife and I will die as? We will die as Americans. Not German American, not British American but American. That is one of the things that made this country great and one of the things my wife loves about this country.

We are tainting that by allowing our politically correct attitudes to get in the way of our unity. Oh, they speak Spanish? Sure, teach them in Spanish we can't be biased against their language. Oh, they want to vote? Well then we can't be bigots, we must translate the ballots for them (once again, I am not saying they are stupid because they don't learn English, but they are being willfully ignorant, and my point is this. If they don't care enough about our culture to learn our language then why should they have a say in or country?).

What we forget is simply this. If they want to be Americans they need to start acting like Americans. My wife is doing it, I ask no more of anyone else.

My mom was born in Colombia. She moved here in the late sixties. She learned English and got a job. She still has trouble with english since she was in her 30's when she learned it. She's of the group that says spanish speaking people that live here should learn english. She urged her friends both here in AZ and back in NY to learn english instead of depending on their children to translate. Needless to say they wouldn't.
Of course it depends on the individual, though I say if you won't put in the effort to be a part of whatever country you live in, you shouldn't complain.

I went to Colombia for about 5 weeks when I was 20 with my mom. A few cousins spoke broken english and that was it. We weren't staying with them and mom was the only one who spoke english. She didn't teach me much spanish so I was at a disadvantage. I spoke as much as I could when I went out alone. People were cool and helped me out when I tried ordering food with a couple words and pointing. After being there 5 weeks I understood the language really well. I figured if I stayed the rest of the summer there I'd have a good grasp of the language.

My point is what others have said here. I wasn't demanding them to help me in english. If I was strugling, they helped as best they could. If they knew english it made it easier, but very few people there spoke my language. I was able to get by and in turn picked up the language because I was forced to. When I did speak spanish, you could see the people there respected the fact that you were trying and were willing to help you out more.

What goes there goes here. It's really not that hard to understand. It's respect.

[quote name='KrAzY3']Just because our society isn't always equal or fair does not mean that we should stop trying to make it so.[/QUOTE]

Thanks for either (1) not reading what I wrote, or (2) lacking the mental ability to comprehend what I said. I am not suggesting that we stop trying to make society equal.

What I am saying is this: arguments against policies such as Affirmative Action typically exist in this vain: it is foolish to eliminate discrimination by imposing discriminatory hiring practices. Ok, that's a valid point. However, those who wave that banner seem more than content to bray against AA, and just let the status quo remain. That status quo is discrimination against blacks, and in favor of whites (and possibly other minorities; most research, though, focuses on the black/white dichotomy).

So, in the end, your argument becomes this: I don't favor this version of discrimination (Affirmative Action), I favor the kind of discrimination that currently exists.

It is not yet a choice between having discrimination and no discrimination. Until people who are anti-AA begin to suggest policies and methods of ensuring fairness and minimizing or elminating discrimination, then the argument "but AA is discrimination" becomes moot, simply because the point then becomes a matter of which kind of discrimination one prefers.

With that in mind, how would you go about ensuring fair hiring practices? Fair opportunities at getting housing? How would you propose we eliminate the discrimination that exists without imposing the AA-style of discrimination?

I think hockey and the guy with the Alf avatar have said what I've felt. As for the argument as to catering to another language in another country depends where you are. I think at least ATM machines should have info in English. It would've been nice in Tokyo, Japan to have subway signs in English but that's me. Did I say anything else? No.
In Korea subway signs were already in English and I could read Korean so if I was looking for a place all someone would have to tell me is the stop. Also whenever you come across an ATM it's in English when you insert your card. I don't think it's a bad thing to cater to everyone when it comes to an ATM, it's not hard necessarily. This is mainly a good idea when it comes to big tourist cities: LA and Las Vegas come to mind. However if it's a road sign fine I'll give you that, especially if it's a lake sign print it up in the native language.
edit: For that shop and the "Speak English" bit I don't neccessarily think putting that down is a bad thing unfortunately the same people they'd want to prevent being in the store wouldn't be able to read it in the first place so they'd have to hire someone who knew Spanish. -_-

[quote name='SithFran']My mom was born in Colombia. She moved here in the late sixties. She learned English and got a job. She still has trouble with english since she was in her 30's when she learned it. She's of the group that says spanish speaking people that live here should learn english. She urged her friends both here in AZ and back in NY to learn english instead of depending on their children to translate. Needless to say they wouldn't. [/QUOTE]

I respect people like your mother who make the effort. As I pointed out, my wife has made the same effort herself. What I failed to point out so far, is the fact that we're putting people at a disadvantage by not doing more to encourage them to learn English if they live in America. This is of other relevance to other points, but when I worked at Burger King in Atlanta it was a mostly Mexican crew. I also worked with two Indians (from India not Native American) who both spoke English. During my time there, both left for better jobs. Not a single person there who didn't know English left for a better job. The reason is fairly obvious, in America most people speak English and you are at a disadvantage if you do not learn English. We should try, in a multitude of ways to encourage people here to learn English, not just for our sake but for their own as well. It is impossible to teach every American every language of the world, its much easier to focus on teaching people who come to live here from other countries, to learn English.

[quote name='mykevermin']
With that in mind, how would you go about ensuring fair hiring practices? Fair opportunities at getting housing? How would you propose we eliminate the discrimination that exists without imposing the AA-style of discrimination?[/QUOTE]

Firstly, thanks for the condescending attitude. I appreciate it. Yes, I am being facetious.

Secondly, you can not "fix" a problem by creating another problem. I have witnessed unfair hiring practices, I am in no way condoning them. However, true equality will never be reached until we hold people to the same standards and have the same expectations for people irregardless of race or ethnicity.

The problem can not and will not be fixed until we stop making race and ethnicity a matter of public policy. I put a lot of faith beyond that in capitalism. As you pointed out, refusing service to someone is hurting your own profitability. Likewise, not being able to cater to a segment of the population does the same thing. Performance beats racism and bigotry. If you want a example look at sports. Baseball had a racist policy, but eventually they realized that they were putting out a sub-par product by having that policy.

Unfortunately it will take a long time. Our own government has many racially based programs. How can we expect most people to be colorblind when our own government isn't? We have the "new segregationists" which encourage minority communities to separate themselves from the rest of America. The reverse-racism. Then of course we have the typical home grown white bigots which think having a black person living next door is a problem.

Race does not matter. Ethnicity should not matter at all, but if people of a particular ethnic origin refuse to learn English then you are creating new bias which in this case has a logical basis. My wife? She learned the language well enough to work customer service over the phone. She overcame that problem and aside from the rare asshole her ethnicity is not a issue. I hope that anyone coming to this country can have the same result, but I can assure you it takes a lot of hard work and dedication. But, if you fail to do that you are voluntarily putting yourself in a lower class than the rest of our citizens because you can not speak the language of the land. And unfortunately our government is actually aiding you in keeping yourself down by catering to the intentional ignorance.

My resolution? Bias will always exist in one form or another. How many jobs do you think bad handwriting has cost people? Does it mean they're less competent in most fields? No, but people making hires make judgements based on superficial bias. Unfortunately that includes race as a factor. Our society may never completely overcome this problem but my personal resolution is to not acknowledge race at all and suggest others do the same. It shouldn't be a matter of public or private policy. We created wounds that will take a long time to heal, the best resolution I see is to stop drawing ANY lines based on race and try to recognize competence as competence and incompetence as incompetence and become blind to any other factors.

I've already written a book, so I won't elaborate farther but I could go on explaining the problem as I see it and people who stand to gain from racism in this country who continue to exploit it for political gain and to retain/garner power.

[quote name='Sarang01']I'm with you here. The Spanish version should only be sold in Mexico, Spain, Puerto Rico, etc.
It's one thing to offer a Mexican, Puerto Rican, El Salavadorian, etc. channels or programs on Cable or Satellite from their native land but it's quite another to offer a product in Spanish where they're staying when the people speak ENGLISH![/QUOTE]
Hey, I got a surprise for you. Bussiness trumps your ideological thinking. If publishing games in Spanish, French or whatever means they will reach a market that needs to be tapped, then it's going to happen.
So the people that are here that do not speak English and who don't have the financial means or time (most undocumented workers work at horrible jobs, for horrible pay, and under horrible circumstances) to take courses in English should be cut off from local news and entertainment? I say this 'cause some networks that you see that are in Spanish are not from the "native land" but produced here in the states. So, in your thinking these stations and newspapers should be cut off in order to retain an English only society. Wow, I don't know about you, but to me that sounds like oppresion, you know that thing that is antagonistic to freedom.
People need to realize that America is changing.

[quote name='doctorfaustus']Hey, I got a surprise for you. Bussiness trumps your ideological thinking. If publishing games in Spanish, French or whatever means they will reach a market that needs to be tapped, then it's going to happen.
So the people that are here that do not speak English and who don't have the financial means or time (most undocumented workers work at horrible jobs, for horrible pay, and under horrible circumstances) to take courses in English should be cut off from local news and entertainment? I say this 'cause some networks that you see that are in Spanish are not from the "native land" but produced here in the states. So, in your thinking these stations and newspapers should be cut off in order to retain an English only society. Wow, I don't know about you, but to me that sounds like oppresion, you know that thing that is antagonistic to freedom.
People need to realize that America is changing.[/QUOTE]

Ok answer me what non English speaking countries bend over backwards to make the effort for people not to learn the language of that country. I mean they can sell the product but seriously, answer that for me.

[quote name='mykevermin']Of course, because of all those things you have so much trouble doing because other people don't speak English. :roll:[/QUOTE]

I work in a hospital. So yeah I run into ALOT of problems with people that dont speak english. Usually you cant tell them to turn onto thier side in the ER so you have to force them which is usually painful for them. All the asians I work with know english, but when I see anyone that looks latino, 95% of the time I have to start conversation with "EY PAPI!"

bread's done
Back