Gamestop/EB Games B&M store Guitar Hero II Tournament

GunPanther

CAGiversary!
Feedback
5 (100%)
So, did anyone else get to play in the Guitar Hero II tournament at Gamestop/EB Games on 2/3/07?

I entered and came in 2nd place from about 10 competitors.

The prize was a measley exclusive t-shirt designed for usage in the tournament. (A black t-shirt with the Guiter Hero II logo on the front and a small logo on the back that said "EB Games & Gamestop Tournament) There were no prizes for 2nd place, 3rd place, etc., although the manager of the GS store was so cool that he gave the runners up some small freebies like a "Phoenix Wright: Justice For All Stylus" and a "Lipschu" keychain.

Details of the tournament were as follows:

* Mode - Pro Face Off

* Track list - Hangar 18, Six, Jordan, Trogdor and Freebird

* Difficulty - (1st elimination) Hard. All song difficulties thereafter were Expert level.

* NO PRACTICE SESSIONS

* Single chance, elimination process tournament

Here is how it went down.....

I played three songs total in the tournament, "Hangar 18", "Jordan" and "Freebird", against other competitors. I had beat the two competitors on expert level, playing "Hangar 18" and "Jordan", but just barely. The almost embarrasing part is that I was almost beat (key word, 'almost') beat in the 2nd round by a 12 year old kid playing "Jordan".

If I didn't have any Star Power left nearing the end of that extremely difficult song, I would never have accumulated enough points to beat my 12 year old opponent.

The very humbling (Okay, maybe even unfair) moment was when I went against the last finalist in a round of "Freebird" on expert.

First off, I barely ever played "Freebird" (especially since I didn't really like the song) and second, it was on expert difficulty, which is something I never thought I would touch, considering I had a hard enough time beating the song in career mode on Medium difficulty. (No, I'm not that good, but I'm just better at songs that I happen to like)

The final nail in the coffin was when the results came in.....

My opponent scored 398,926 pts with a 98% completion rate for "Freebird" whereas I scored 161,400 pts with a completion rate of 61%.

I lost..... BIGTIME.

But, after prodding some more, I didn't feel as bad afterward.

It turns out that I lost to a 'Guitar God' level player who was actually in charge of the sound department at a VIDEO GAME PRODUCTION COMPANY (no less) called Page 44 Studios. In his office, he was known as the 'unbeatable' guy (for GHII) and had played the GHII game almost non-stop on a daily basis, since September of 2006.

How is it possible for him to play the game a whole 2 months early, before it's release date? Simple; He is a game developer for Sony Computer Entertainment America and he apparently was able to pull some strings to get his copy early. He even admitted it himself.

So to top things off, the winner was not only an expert musician, but also works in the video game industry with sound design as his profession!

Talk about an unfair advantage. ;P jk

I really had no chance to stand against him, hell, no one in the competition did, but it was a cool experience nonetheless.

I certainly don't feel bad knowing that I lost to a bona-fide GH II 'Guitar God', especially since that what he does for a living. I guess it's along the lines of an everyday 'for fun' baseball player being put at bat against one of the MLB's top pitchers and striking out horribly. lol

[quote name='yukine']It would of been cool if you beat him, he would of probably cried.[/QUOTE]

Yeah, it would have been cool to beat him, but I was nowhere near as good as he was.

Every song he played on expert difficulty he nearly aced. He'd score around 98-99% on the hardest songs, which he demonstrated afterwards. He played "Jordan" (98%), "Hangar 18" (99%), "Trogdor" (99%) and these songs were all played without a warmup/practice run. This guy was a serious GHII player and it's probably a good combination of his expertise not only at the game, but because he happens to be a professional sound designer.

I almost forgot to mention that he had two of his friends come by with him in which one of them had participated in the tournament as well. The guy's friend was giving out tips and stuff, which were somewhat helpful as I was playing "Freebird".

I remember saying something to him like "So.... how long did it take you to design Guitar Hero II?", (I was kidding of course) but he laughed and said something like ".... I don't work for Harmonix. I work for another game company....". I then talked to him for a little bit and he revealed some information about his profession and the company he worked for.

Not a bad guy, but he had a tiny hint of arrogance to him. At least he could back it up with his skills.

bread's done
Back