GameStop & EB Games Merging (GameStop buys Electronics Boutique for $1.44 billion)

[quote name='LittleConnerPetterson']I don't think with them carrying almost the exact same merchandise that they would do so. Chances are they would just transfer the merchandise to the nearest location that was not closing.[/QUOTE]

You also have to take into account that each of those stores was doing enough buissness to be profitable. So you could concievably have two stores in the same mall selling the same merchandice, since it already happens all the time (plus, think 'Claire's' stores, sometimes I swear there's like a three per mall minimum, and all they do is sell low-price jewlery).

My money is still on them converting many of the EBs that coexist with GSs in mall into MovieStops (where all the dvds will get moved to). Basically doing the opposite of what blockbuster and hollywood video did with gamecrazy, etc, but doing it better.

Also, I think it will turn out to affect everyone, even those people who only shop new, because now, we're talking about a way more powerful chunk of the retail industry that GS becomes. Now when the vendors take orders for systems and big games, Wal-mart will put down it's money, and Best Buy will put down it's money, and Now, Gamestop will be able to put down it's foot and money too, and actually get the stock from the vendors that it can sell.

Frankly, finally the games will be put in the hands of the stores that sell games. Not the stores that sell refridgerators, cell phones, toilet bowl seats, car tires, and thong underware.
This has got to be a good thing.

edit: littleconner that's really disturbing. please change it.

[quote name='tauruskatt']Frankly, finally the games will be put in the hands of the stores that sell games. Not the stores that sell refridgerators, cell phones, toilet bowl seats, car tires, and thong underware.[/quote]

Aw, I always like getting my thong underware alongside my games...

[quote name='tauruskatt']You also have to take into account that each of those stores was doing enough buissness to be profitable. So you could concievably have two stores in the same mall selling the same merchandice, since it already happens all the time (plus, think 'Claire's' stores, sometimes I swear there's like a three per mall minimum, and all they do is sell low-price jewlery).[/quote]

I know I've said this at least twice, but the mall here has a GameStop and a Software Etc. Both are owned by the same company and they both do just fine. So even if there is an EB and a GameStop in a mall, that doesn't mean that one of them will close down.

Although I kind of like the idea of having one be just a GameStop and the other be a MovieStop. It would bring more competition options for movies in my mall (right now there's a Suncoast and the ridiculously overpriced Sam Goody) but would keep the same level of gaming competition.

According to the press release, Gamestop has purchased EB Games and will be combining them together with their own stores. So marks the end of the great trade in deals that EB Games has been having lately. Of course the merger is still pending approval from shareholders and legal approval, but moves like this rarely get denied. Mourn the loss of EB Games.

I have this bad feeling that, unless places such as Game Crazy, Game Rush, and FYE Games (first one opened in Waterbury, CT this past September, so says it's employees), Gamestop will take their marketplace dominance and give less for trade ins and keep prices for used games higher than they normally would have.

I'm also interested to see what malls do. The mall in my town as both a Gamestop and an EB, and it will be odd passing the place where the old EB will soon be.

[quote name='Mafia']FYE Games (first one opened in Waterbury, CT this past September, so says it's employees)[/QUOTE]

I've been to that store, so it does exist...

[quote name='DT778']I'm sad because there would be less competition for video game stores.[/QUOTE]

Same here, I don't really miss the store or it's shitty employees but I expect my overall experience to suffer from the lack of competition for the used games market.

I'm kinda thankful. Been meaning to find a better paying job all this time so I can actually afford paying for tuition and housing and now I have an excuse to quit EB.

Yay.

I'll be sad later on when used game prices start to rise.

[quote name='KingSpike']Aw, I always like getting my thong underware alongside my games....[/QUOTE]

:lol:

[quote name='KingSpike']I know I've said this at least twice, but the mall here has a GameStop and a Software Etc. Both are owned by the same company and they both do just fine. So even if there is an EB and a GameStop in a mall, that doesn't mean that one of them will close down.

Although I kind of like the idea of having one be just a GameStop and the other be a MovieStop. It would bring more competition options for movies in my mall (right now there's a Suncoast and the ridiculously overpriced Sam Goody) but would keep the same level of gaming competition.[/QUOTE]

yeah, there's a mall somewhere near me that has three Gamestop stores, (I think one's under each name or something like that) the reason being that as long as they had those three stores there, an EB could never move in to that mall (heheh, like seriously, that's the rule). And man, would a Moviestop ever compete with Suncoast, I remember when that was the only place to buy anime and it was all $40-45 a disc, now that you can buy it at bestbuy, everywhere else, etc, it's still like $30 there, eugh.

I have 4 Gamerushes near me so I wont have too much of a problem. Competition is good for consumers though. I could find thinga cheap at EB that I couldnt find for the same price at GameRush and vice versa. And if you look at the trend .. FuncoLand, Babbages, now EB Games, you can only assume that Gamestop will soon have it's target on the other stores such as GameRush and Gamecrazy. I could easily see Blackbuster and Hollywood selling those divisions for the type of cash that Gamestop has been dishing out to buy companies. This can lead to nothing by hard times for gamers, especially with Next-Gen (and even higher MSRP) on the horizon.

[quote name='bfg9k']I've been to that store, so it does exist...[/QUOTE]

Just wondering, what are your thoughts on FYE Games compared to EB/GS? I thought most of their prices were average or a little high for used titles, not that I expected anything less from FYE, although I did find a Gradius III + IV for $12.99 (compared to $19.99 on GS's site). I just want to get some other feedback from other than myself and one friend.

Gamestop stores in my area are horrid. Most of the mall stores sell new games at a $5 mark up, and when you go and try to buy that new release title they tell you the games on the shelf behind the counter are for preorders and next time if you want a title you have to preorder.(this has happened to me when there were at least 12 copies on the shelf and ones on the floor obviously set aside.) On the other hand EB in my area is always nice people who don't try and force preorders down your throat, also they sell games for MSRP and are very cool with returns and such. With no gamerush or gamecrazy stores in my area when this change over occurs my money is going to online stores or target. fuck Gamestop, fuck them in their stupid asses.

[quote name='tauruskatt']
yeah, there's a mall somewhere near me that has three Gamestop stores, (I think one's under each name or something like that) the reason being that as long as they had those three stores there, an EB could never move in to that mall (heheh, like seriously, that's the rule). And man, would a Moviestop ever compete with Suncoast, I remember when that was the only place to buy anime and it was all $40-45 a disc, now that you can buy it at bestbuy, everywhere else, etc, it's still like $30 there, eugh.[/QUOTE]

Yeah, buying anime sucks so much. It's so hard to convince myself not to buy bootlegs from certain places online. When I see one Love Hina DVD at Suncoast for $29.99 and there are 5-6 for the series and then one for each movie and ANOTHER for the OVA, that's way too much money. Online I can get the entire series for $29.99.

It's even more annoying when they could easily put all of FLCL (six episodes) on two discs but decide to do 3. Only two episodes on one DVD? Yeah, obviously going for more money. And when they're each $30 a pop, that's way too much money for the entire SIX episode series.

Having a MovieStop that sold used movies (and anime) would be so freaking awesome.

[quote name='TheUnsane1']Gamestop stores in my area are horrid. Most of the mall stores sell new games at a $5 mark up, and when you go and try to buy that new release title they tell you the games on the shelf behind the counter are for preorders and next time if you want a title you have to preorder.(this has happened to me when there were at least 12 copies on the shelf and ones on the floor obviously set aside.) [/QUOTE]

So you're saying they charge 5 bucks more for new games, then refuse to sell them to you? Something about that story makes me a little doubtful.

I dont go to gamestop very much (its like 30 miles away) but i am going to miss ebonline i love being able to find lots of used cheap games PS1 and other older systems that gamestop dosnt care about

I have mixed emotions as I like/dislike certain aspects about each company.

I really like the deals I get online at ebgames.com (edge card + coupons = 25% off plus free shipping for all used games) however I really hate their online customer service and their online policies. On the other hand I really like the fact that they sorta guarantee their current gen games complete.

As for B&M locations I prefer gamestops prices on used games(at least the stuff I usually buy) about 75% of the time, but I for the most part the staff at all my local ebgames (with the exception of the Arden Fair mall store they are dicks) is much much better the staff at my local gamestops.

[quote name='icemanjmw13']So you're saying they charge 5 bucks more for new games, then refuse to sell them to you? Something about that story makes me a little doubtful.[/QUOTE]

It could mean that they expect you to preorder AND pay an extra $5.

[quote name='KingSpike']It could mean that they expect you to preorder AND pay an extra $5.[/QUOTE]
Yeah, they do jack up the prices on new games. Smash Bros Melee cost me $55, since I was stupid enough to preorder at Gamestop instead of EB. I too will be buying games from Target from now on, it seems. They always manage to put new games on sale for me right when I want to buy them

[quote name='KingSpike']Yeah, buying anime sucks so much. It's so hard to convince myself not to buy bootlegs from certain places online. When I see one Love Hina DVD at Suncoast for $29.99 and there are 5-6 for the series and then one for each movie and ANOTHER for the OVA, that's way too much money. Online I can get the entire series for $29.99.

It's even more annoying when they could easily put all of FLCL (six episodes) on two discs but decide to do 3. Only two episodes on one DVD? Yeah, obviously going for more money. And when they're each $30 a pop, that's way too much money for the entire SIX episode series.

Having a MovieStop that sold used movies (and anime) would be so freaking awesome.[/QUOTE]

Exactly! you'd think that since they know people are stuck having to buy a set of dvds, they'd lower the price on them. What bothers me more is that occasionally the first disc will have four eps, and the rest three, so the first one, where you might not know if you are going to like the series or not, is more expensive >

If they didn't turn one of the stores in to a MovieStop then they could turn it in to a current gen vs next gen store type thing. Have one of them have the next gen systems and one of them have the current systems that are out. The one with the current systems will still make enough business, especially if you give them the movies and not the other store. Give each store something that the other store doesn't have, and people will have to go to both to throw their money away ;)

You know, a general Geek/Nerd Gaming Store would be pretty cool. Have all the same video game stuff as a GameStop, add the D&D books (man it's been awhile since I've played...) and anime. There are lots of stores that have an anime section AND a video game section AND a table top section...but they also have all sorts of other things. If you kept it contained to the above mentioned stuff it would still be varied enough so you could make some good money (not all anime people play video games, not all video game players play D&D, etc) but then you could have people more specialized in what is being sold than a Wal-mart, Hastings or Media Play type store.

I do sometimes feel bad for buying a bootlegged box set of anime online (or doing something less than legal) but I honestly can't afford the anime. I HAVE picked up all 14 volumes of the Love Hina manga and I have the first 5 of Mahou Sensei Negima, but even then I used gift certificates to get most of the volumes. If they were any more expensive I would either have to fully bootleg/pirate or not watch any anime at all, which is sad.

i have never gotten a good deal at gamestop....where as i normaly don't shop at EB i have gotten a lot of .99 cent games and some select good deals.

I HOPE eb will operate as a seperate enity but i doubt that is going to happen......i don't have a good feeling about this from the CAG standpoint

Why does this mean that EB Games is closing down people?

Think about it. Gamestop bought Electronic Boutique, name and all. So wouldn't it be smarter for them, say, to simply leave them as is, and maybe change a few policies (such as trade-in rates) so as not to lose/confuse average customers? They still make all the money coming from the stores seeing as they own it.

It's just like how Barnes and Noble owns Gamestop... doesn't mean all the Gamestops become B&Ns, nor does B&N incorporate the selling of games.

[quote name='Dunvane']Why does this mean that EB Games is closing down people?

Think about it. Gamestop bought Electronic Boutique, name and all. So wouldn't it be smarter for them, say, to simply leave them as is, and maybe change a few policies (such as trade-in rates) so as not to lose/confuse average customers? They still make all the money coming from the stores seeing as they own it.

It's just like how Barnes and Noble owns Gamestop... doesn't mean all the Gamestops become B&Ns, nor does B&N incorporate the selling of games.[/QUOTE]

That's the thing, on or around Labor Day, all EB Games location will either be converted to a GameStop or it's being closed down.

[quote name='Socheata']That's the thing, on or around Labor Day, all EB Games location will either be converted to a GameStop or it's being closed down.[/QUOTE]Somebody needs to listen to the audio conference again.
(psst...that somebody is you)

They are hoping the merger (not the stores) closes by Labor Day. GameStop said there will likely be no changes until 2006.

[quote name='c']Yeah, they do jack up the prices on new games. Smash Bros Melee cost me $55, since I was stupid enough to preorder at Gamestop instead of EB. I too will be buying games from Target from now on, it seems. They always manage to put new games on sale for me right when I want to buy them

[quote name='Detective_thorn']The biggest thing I see as a result will be a fair number of store closings and layoffs/lost jobs.[/QUOTE]

No offense to people working these jobs, but unskilled work is not hard to come by.

[quote name='Dunvane']Why does this mean that EB Games is closing down people?

Think about it. Gamestop bought Electronic Boutique, name and all. So wouldn't it be smarter for them, say, to simply leave them as is, and maybe change a few policies (such as trade-in rates) so as not to lose/confuse average customers? They still make all the money coming from the stores seeing as they own it.[/QUOTE]

If business is split between an area EB and Gamestop, closing one store makes sense. You potentially cut your operating costs in half while doubling your customer base.

Around here I think I have three EB Games and three Gamestops all within reasonable distance, (ten minute drive - max to the furthest ones.) In one case there is a Gamestop in the mall, an EB half a mile down the road, and another Gamestop within spitting distance of that EB.

[quote name='Mafia']Just wondering, what are your thoughts on FYE Games compared to EB/GS? I thought most of their prices were average or a little high for used titles, not that I expected anything less from FYE, although I did find a Gradius III + IV for $12.99 (compared to $19.99 on GS's site). I just want to get some other feedback from other than myself and one friend.[/QUOTE]

Whether it be CDs, DVDs, or games, FYE's prices seems to be on the average $5 more than anyone's else's. You find the occasional gem, of course. Hell, I just picked up a new copy of Arc the Lad Collection for PS1 for $30 just recently.

this is terrible news for gamers. since ebs big platform is "we are closer than the mall, so youll shop here" in most stripmalls, they have no competition and will raise prices. it sucks. obviously, less competition = less concern for getting customers. i work for eb, and the bloke that runs the warehouse had a meeting where he said they'd only promise things wont change for 3-8 months or whenever the merger happens. then, we (ps2 [me!], xbox, gc, 3rd party, software refurbishers {we clean and fix all the refurb stuff in every US eb}) could lose our jobs, benefits, get paid X less an hour, etc. KISS MY CONGLOMERATE HATING ASS, SUPER EBSTOP......but i still want the discount to offset possible new prices. lol.

Dude, its a photo of my baby brother minutes after he was born. Babies look like crap right after birth. Besides his name is Conner Petterson, it was just too weird not to roll with it.

Funny how people get freaked out over a photo when they think its a dead baby... :)

[quote name='tauruskatt'] littleconner that's really disturbing. please change it.[/QUOTE]

[quote name='siamesellama']No offense to people working these jobs, but unskilled work is not hard to come by.[/QUOTE]

That is true, but I would rank those working at EB slightly higher than unskilled. They have to have some game knowledge - I would hope they get paid more than $8 an hour, hell when I left EB 14 years ago I was making $8 an hour(but was there for 7 years).

I see a lot of $8 an hour jobs in most cities for cashiers and order takers. So they might not be able to live at the same level they are use to.

[quote name='Timothyx']this is terrible news for gamers. since ebs big platform is "we are closer than the mall, so youll shop here" in most stripmalls, they have no competition and will raise prices. it sucks. obviously, less competition = less concern for getting customers. i work for eb, and the bloke that runs the warehouse had a meeting where he said they'd only promise things wont change for 3-8 months or whenever the merger happens. then, we (ps2 [me!], xbox, gc, 3rd party, software refurbishers {we clean and fix all the refurb stuff in every US eb}) could lose our jobs, benefits, get paid X less an hour, etc. KISS MY CONGLOMERATE HATING ASS, SUPER EBSTOP......but i still want the discount to offset possible new prices. lol.[/QUOTE]

I don't think its going to change the new game market at all. Best Buy, Circuit City, Frys always(99% of the time) killed EB on new games.

On used games it may, but with the movie rentals getting big in to games it might not have that much affect. Their is still going to be price wars for both markets.

If the market is there other will rise up, I'd keep an eye on Rhino - If this goes through they could be next.

[quote name='KingSpike']Saying "the kid is alive" doesn't change the picture.[/QUOTE]

well, it does somewhat, at least I can view it as a wonderous moment in time...it's just that...well, like you said, babies don't look so hot seconds out of the womb. In other words, it's much less disturbing now that you've explained it, but I still have to stop and *think* about that being what it is before I feel any better. So I'm just trying not to look at it at all now. If it were B&W it probably would look sweet and adorable.

btw, I wouldn't mind the $2 warrenty on games like eb and tru have (although it would be a pain, and I haven't yet figured out the logistics of it being profitable). I would definately however mind the switch to "POX" games...bleh. there isn't a blessed game from n64 up that you can't trade in to GS. And sports games are the only exceptions during some of the trade in specials. I doubt that they would change over to a system which doesn't buy back all games, I'm sure eventually *someone* *somewhere* will want your pixely old copy of madden '01 or jampack winter 2002.

~

So GameStop has no exclusion list?

Ok, that makes me want to go back to GameStop. I switched to EB because it was closer and the trade 2 get $10 extra was better than GameStop's 3. But right now I have a big list of games I'm wanting to get rid of and I know that EB won't take them all. The only exclusion I saw on GameStops "trade 3, get an extra $10" was sports, wrestling and demo discs. That's really not that bad, because I don't really play sports games.

As for the picture, it's obviously better than the baby being dead, but like tauruskatt said, you still have to stop and think "Ok, baby's alive." Why not stick up a picture of the kid without the bruising?

[quote name='KingSpike']So GameStop has no exclusion list? [/QUOTE]

you got it. The exclusion list was always one of my pet peeves with them, how could they sell something and then next month decide they don't want to deal with it anymore and then you can't trade it in even for a nominal price. meh. At least I have 6-8 months to a year to get the phrase "EB Sucks" out of my vocabulary. ;)

I see things going more towards the competition with renting games more and more now that I think about it, the marketing all says 'better then renting' on the cheap games, and then especially with the whole 19.99 new game dealie. (you bring it back for a guarenteed $12, so you're paying basically $7 to rent a brand new game for a..damnit, even i forgot how long, but I think it's like 30-60 days, sorry it's late.) Not the easiest concept to describe, but I think they severely under publicized it. (the only way you know is if you asked an employee or from one completely-non-eye-catching flyer).

..yeah...well, you know, if my older brother posted a pic of me seconds post-uteru I think I'd hit him. lol. just sayin.

Oh man no exclusion list. That's so hot.

I saw the "Cheaper than rental" thing. I actually scoffed at it at first, but if you're willing to do that then it can end up being a good deal. I'm pretty sure it was 30 days, but I could be wrong. I think that people would have to get around the concept of it. Buying a game and then taking it back for less money seems to anger some people after reading the "customers that suck" thread. So they may look at this and be wary of it and not do it.

Just think of how many people would be mad when they thought it was 60 days but it was really 30. People will come in months later and say "You guarenteed me $12! I want my money!"

[quote name='KingSpike']Oh man no exclusion list. That's so hot.

I saw the "Cheaper than rental" thing. I actually scoffed at it at first, but if you're willing to do that then it can end up being a good deal. I'm pretty sure it was 30 days, but I could be wrong. I think that people would have to get around the concept of it. Buying a game and then taking it back for less money seems to anger some people after reading the "customers that suck" thread. So they may look at this and be wary of it and not do it.

Just think of how many people would be mad when they thought it was 60 days but it was really 30. People will come in months later and say "You guarenteed me $12! I want my money!"[/QUOTE]

yeah, oddly enough the only time I've used it is when a guy came in with a new game he bought that he wanted to return because he didn't like it :lol: the program got me past the "well once a new game is opened it's a used game and you can't return it" game real quick by convincing him he was getting a much better deal doing that then trading it in for cash (although he walked out with Indiana Jones, which may or may not have been better then cash, but I guess in theory he could bring that one back for $12 too if it sux. and he only paid the difference out of pocket for it. lol. It's still beyond most people, but like anything else could be milked for it's usefulness.)

Yeah, I'm sure it could be milked by those who understand how it works and time it right.

I doubt they'd let this happen (and actually I think I saw that the trade 3 get an extra $10 doesn't work with other deals or something...) but if you bought 3 games for $19.99 each and then traded them all in for $12 and got an extra $10 then you'd pay $4.66 per game. That's assuming they'd let you get the extra $10. Now THAT would be worth it for sure. $5 for a 30 day rental? Hells yeah.

[quote name='KingSpike']Yeah, I'm sure it could be milked by those who understand how it works and time it right.

I doubt they'd let this happen (and actually I think I saw that the trade 3 get an extra $10 doesn't work with other deals or something...) but if you bought 3 games for $19.99 each and then traded them all in for $12 and got an extra $10 then you'd pay $4.66 per game. That's assuming they'd let you get the extra $10. Now THAT would be worth it for sure. $5 for a 30 day rental? Hells yeah.[/QUOTE]

heh, yeah, one discount per item ;)

I can see it being perfect for a small niche of people who would like renting but are too picky about disc condition. or people who have $20 in their pocket and decide to pick up a game, and maybe they'll keep it and maybe they won't like it or they'll beat it in a month, so they don't care...but even then, they could get a used copy for $17 keep it forever or bring it back within a certain amount of time for their full credit back...*shrug* okay, I guess it only works well for that first group.

bread's done
Back