GameStop Game Days! Final Clearance begins 5/3 and lists are in!

bigdaddybruce44

CAGiversary!
Feedback
26 (100%)
4/30 Update

The final clearance prices are in. Not quite as good as I hoped, but a few deals to be had. Thanks again to (classified) for the information. If a game is not on this new list, it is going back up to its old price. So, if you want something from the sale, get it now with the coupon.

DS
Barbie Horse Adventures: Riding Camp 9.99
Bella Sara 14.99
Bleach: Dark Souls 12.99
Chicken Shoot 7.99
Digimon World Championship 12.99
Diner Dash 12.99
Dinosaur King 9.99
Fantasy Aquarium 9.99
Guitar Rock Tour 7.99
Journey to the Center of the Earth 14.99
Line Rider 2 7.99
Loony Tunes Duck Amuck 9.99
Matchstick DS (Dreamcatcher) 9.99
National Geographic Panda 12.99
Shrek's Carnival Craze 12.99
Sid Meier's Civilization Revolution 12.99
Sonic Rush Adventure 12.99
Tom & Jerry 12.99
Touchmaster II 14.99
Word Jong 9.99

PSP
300 March To Glory 9.99
Castlevania Dracula X Chronicles 7.99
Chessmaster The Art of Learning 9.99
Crash of the Titans 9.99
Diner Dash 9.99
Dragon Ball Z: Shin Budokai 9.99
Dragon Ball Z: Shin Budokai Another Road 12.99
Dungeons & Dragons Tactics 9.99
Dynasty Warriors Vol 2 12.99
Final Fantasy I 7.99
Final Fantasy II 7.99
Flatout Head On 7.99
Hellboy Science of Evil 7.99
Metal Gear Solid Portable Ops Plus 7.99
Mortal Kombat Deception: Unchained 7.99
Ratatouille 7.99
Silent Hill Origins 7.99
Sonic Rivals 2 12.99
Test Drive Unlimited 12.99
Tomb Raider Anniversary 9.99
Warhammer 40,000: Squad Command 7.99
Warriors of The Lost Empire 9.99
Worms Open Warfare 7.99
WWE Smackdown vs Raw 2007 7.99

Xbox 360
Bee Movie 9.99
Call of Duty 2 12.99
Command & Conquer 3: Kane's Wrath 12.99
Crash of the Titans 12.99
Facebreaker 9.99
Juiced 2: Hot Import Nights 12.99
Namco Museum Virtual Arcade 9.99
Stuntman: Ignition 12.99
Tomb Raider Anniversary 12.99
Tony Hawk's Proving Ground 14.99

Wii
Battle Rage 12.99
Boogie Superstar (Game Only) 7.99
Celebrity Sports Showdown 9.99
Destroy All Humans: Big Willy Unleashed 12.99
Facebreaker KO Party 9.99
Game Party 9.99
Game Party II 14.99
Godzilla Unleashed 14.99
Iron Man 14.99
Kidz Sports: Crazy Golf 9.99
Manhunt 2 12.99
Mercury Meltdown 9.99
North American Hunting Extravaganza 12.99
Obscure Aftermath 12.99
Ratatouille 12.99
Resident Evil Umbrella Chronicles 24.99
Rockstar Games Presents Table Tennis 14.99
Sega Bass Fishing 12.99
Sonic Riders: Zero Gravity 9.99
Speed Racer 12.99
Star Trek Conquest 7.99
Top Spin 3 12.99

PS3
Baja 1000: Score International 14.99
Call of Duty 3 14.99
Facebreaker 9.99
History Channel Civil War: Secret Mission 9.99
Juiced 2: Hot Imports Nights 12.99
Stuntman: Ignition 12.99

PS2
Baja 1000: Score International 9.99
Dog Island 3.99
Dora the Explorer: Dora Saves the Snow Princess 7.99
Friends: The One with All the Trivia 3.99
History Channel Civil War: Secret Mission 9.99
Mortal Kombat Kollection 17.99
MLB Power Pros 3.99
NHRA Countdown to the Championship 3.99
Nitrobike 3.99
Ratatouille 7.99
Shin Megami Tensei: Persona 3 FES 14.99
Sonic Riders: Zero Gravity 9.99
Speed Racer 7.99

PC
Hidden and Dangerous .29
Viva Pinata 7.99

Accessories
Wii Intercooler 3.99
DS Headphones (BDA) 1.99
DS Lite Hanna Montana Case (Cokem) 7.99
DS Lite LEGO Star Wars Tin (BDA) 7.99
DS Lite PlayGear Pocket (Logitech) 7.99
DS Lite Mario Sleeve (BDA) 1.99
DS Lite Duo Game Case 3.99
Wii Sports Pack 8.99
Wii Action Pack 9.99

4/26 Update

I have been informed that final clearance will begin 5/3. I should have information concerning titles and prices around 4/30. Stay tuned.

4/5 Update

Sale is live!
:ps3: PS3
:360: 360
:wii: Wii
:ps2: PS2
:pc: PC
:ds: DS
:psp: PSP - UMD Movies

* Note: Metal Gear Solid: The Essential Collection is not part of this sale. It was apparently a mistake, one that has not been fixed. It's still listed on the site, but no discount has been applied to it.

4/4 Update

Thanks to (radio edit) for supplying us with the lists and prices. He also confirmed that the free wired 360 guitar promotion IS still valid with the purchase of Guitar Hero Aerosmith!

The lists were previously posted on GameStop.com at the following address. More than likely, when the sale does go live, this is where we will find the pricing.

http://www.gamestop.com/gs/landing/gamedays09/

And here is a scan of the 10% off coupon that was in this month's Game Informer. Thanks to xycury! Coupon is in the spoiler.

oqk2yw.jpg

Frequently Asked Questions:

Q: Is this sale for new or used games?
A: New games only. In the past, there have been B2G1 sales on used items associated with Game Days, so keep an eye out for that.

Q: Will all of the games be "gutted" or opened?
A: YMMV. Some stores I have been to basically open everything up and dump it into the bins. Others will only open a few copies and leave the rest behind the counter. If you want a sealed copy, make sure to ask.

Q: Is this in-store or online?
A: Both.

Q: Will the store accept a print-out of the 10% off coupon?
A: YMMV.

Q: Does the coupon work for one item or the whole purchase?
A: It works on all Game Days items bought in a purchase.

Q: Is there going to be a B2G1 on used games and accessories?
A: As previously mentioned, there could possibly be one later, but as of now, nope. There is only a B2G1 on used PS2 games when you buy a new PS2 system.

Last edited by a moderator:
I don't know why we have to get into this thing about games being gutted everytime there's a GS thread.

We know they gut games, they're not going to stop gutting games. If you don't like it don't buy new games at GS. Infact there's really never a need to buy a new game at GS, you'll probably get it cheaper on Amazon, or if you must go to a B&M store, BB or Target never gut games.

Back on topic, Is the link down for anyone else?
I'll be checking this out on Sunday anyway.

[quote name='z-mutant']Hello Everyone,
I work at a GS/EB...We gut games to display them on our store shelves...If we didn't gut them people would steal the games. If we didn't display the games...Most customers wouldn't ask, plus this allows the customer not to be bothered by Game Adviser every second.

Yes, we get to take New or Used games home to play...Just the other day I borrowed Wanted: WoF. The rules are simple, there must be multiple copies (i.e. more than one) and it can be New or Used...Used first, unless it was just released. If I scratch it I buy it! We are not allowed to borrow PSP (games or Movies), DS, or GBA tittles.

By borrowing a game, it allows us to become more familar with the game. This allows me to talk with our customer who ask is this a good game or the lenght of play through. If you work in retail, you are not rich and we get nothing for free...We work for a corporation that is selling & buying games.

Thanks,[/quote]

Wow. I've never really been that concerned with gutted games, but that's because I didn't think they were ever played. However, now that you and a few others have acknowledged that GS employees actually take home and play BRAND NEW games, the practice of selling these gutted games as new games is utterly ridiculous. I don't have a problem with employees taking home used games to play, but to take new games home is just ridiculous. I don't see how GS can justify selling these games as new.

Gamestop rarely gets my money on new games, only if it's discounted. If I happen to preorder a game from them, and they try to give it to me not sealed, I'll cancel (I give all my business to Amazon on new games unless I've got tons of credit).

I could give a shite if they gut the games for the sale, if it means I can get Valkyria Chronicles for half price? Go to town, I have rarely seen it discounted and can't find the game used.

I get what you people are saying, if an employee takes a game home to "familarize" themselves with games, then hands down it's used. But if you have a problem with what Gamestop does just show them by not giving them your business. I've gotten a ton of good deals through flips and coupons that it's worth it for me to do some business with them.

back on topic, when are the gamestop employee's going to post the actual percentage off for the particular games?

[quote name='urge26']Gamestop rarely gets my money on new games, only if it's discounted. If I happen to preorder a game from them, and they try to give it to me not sealed, I'll cancel (I give all my business to Amazon on new games unless I've got tons of credit).

I could give a shite if they gut the games for the sale, if it means I can get Valkyria Chronicles for half price? Go to town, I have rarely seen it discounted and can't find the game used.

I get what you people are saying, if an employee takes a game home to "familarize" themselves with games, then hands down it's used. But if you have a problem with what Gamestop does just show them by not giving them your business. I've gotten a ton of good deals through flips and coupons that it's worth it for me to do some business with them.[/quote]

I rarely buy used games period, but I'll definitely have to think twice about buying from GS if I ever do want to get a game brand new.

[quote name='RCS0926']I rarely buy used games period, but I'll definitely have to think twice about buying from GS if I ever do want to get a game brand new.[/quote]

scratch resistant blu-rays on PS3 FTW! I'd say 75% of my PS3 games are used, all in mint.

For me, the insanely high trade in value for DS-lites and DS-fats along with the fact that if I really got the urge, I still have a GBA player under my GameCube seals getting a DSi for me.

And has no one but me listened to the GoNintendo podcast that states every DSi gets a bonus 1000 points when you connect it to the shop? That's a free game/apps/etc.
I was wary about the DSi, but given that unlike the Wii, developers aren't asleep at the stick for it and it's got more RPG's then maybe even the PS2, it's simply a nobrainer.

Considering I have Diamond (Japanese), Pearl and Platinum (US), I have no intention on trading in my DS Lite for a DSi merely because of the fact that I need a GBA slot for transferring Pokemon from my GBA titles to my DS ones.

[quote name='urge26']back on topic, when are the gamestop employee's going to post the actual percentage off for the particular games?[/quote]
That's a good question. We're almost at the day of the sale and we haven't managed to get in prices yet? How the hell'd that one happen?

[quote name='Tsukento']Considering I have Diamond (Japanese), Pearl and Platinum (US), I have no intention on trading in my DS Lite for a DSi merely because of the fact that I need a GBA slot for transferring Pokemon from my GBA titles to my DS ones.

That's a good question. We're almost at the day of the sale and we haven't managed to get in prices yet? How the hell'd that one happen?[/quote]

Manger meetings are typically held on Tuesdays. Plus the sale is still four and a half days away.

[quote name='bigdaddybruce44']They're too busy taking our games home and playing them.

Sorry, I had to.[/quote]Long time back I preordered Colin McRae Rally 3 for Xbox. When I picked it up, it had been gutted so they could put a display box out with stickers all over it. I was furious, but considering noone else had any and I didn't want to wait until I could find it in stock elsewhere I took it. The disc was in perfectly fine shape, but what if it had been a gift or something. I hardly stepped into any GS again until I joined CAG and started finding out about deals there.

Back OT, the list isn't that great for me. Definitely interested in a couple games if they're 50% off, but I already have the handful of 360 games that are good.

Heh, I work at Gamestop as well, but we do not play new games at our store. I agree with the community here on that it is a used game if it goes home. Playing them and them selling them as new is unethical and it varies by store if this is allowed or not. People piss and moan about gutted games which I never understood as well though. Yes, we always strive to give someone a sealed game, but if that's the last one, then it will be gutted. Cases are made for holding the game and protecting it. When it gets to your house, it will sit in a drawer and get used eventually. Now, if it's a GENUINE collector's item or will be valuable 10 years from now, I would gladly acknowledge that point. But, since every collector's edition game now is so vast in quantities and nothing in there extremely collectible, it shouldn't be such of a big deal.

I never understood why gamestop doesn't just print out a copy of the cover art and put it in an empty case advertising that the game is new (while keeping sealed copies in the back) similar to what they do with used games with no cover art.

[quote name='irishsoccermbw']I never understood why gamestop doesn't just print out a copy of the cover art and put it in an empty case advertising that the game is new (while keeping sealed copies in the back) similar to what they do with used games with no cover art.[/quote]

Probably to "brand" as many copies as possible. From a business standpoint it makes sense as 90% of their clientele does not care and now that the game has lost value, it will probably just be traded back to them, with the stickers intact. Certainly makes sense why some managers mandate that the yellow stickers go directly on the cover art.(Several managers have confirmed with me that they were told to do this)

[quote name='Chowe05']Now, if it's a GENUINE collector's item or will be valuable 10 years from now, [/QUOTE]

How do you know what will be valuable in 10 years? I don't buy anything labeled as new if it is clearly not. This goes for cars, games, computers, mayonnaise, etc...

Follow-up question on buying "new" games that are opened:

Can you return them for a full refund? If I buy a new game at GS that is still sealed, I can get a full refund, but what if it was opened to begin with? I never have and never will buy an opened game unless it's used, so I haven't experienced this to know the answer.

[quote name='Ubiiquitous']Follow-up question on buying "new" games that are opened:

Can you return them for a full refund? If I buy a new game at GS that is still sealed, I can get a full refund, but what if it was opened to begin with? I never have and never will buy an opened game unless it's used, so I haven't experienced this to know the answer.[/QUOTE]

they need to stick a clear sticker over the case to keep it from being opened.. Most of the times though theynever stick the sticker on it

for those who dont want to wait

Phantasy Star Portable psp 33.99 on amazon

15% off.... too bad we do not know how much gamestop is taking off theres..

Very tempted to buy this Tax free at 34

[quote name='slidecage']they need to stick a clear sticker over the case to keep it from being opened.. Most of the times though theynever stick the sticker on it[/QUOTE]

Oh yeah? How can the customer prove it was never opened? I could say "there wasn't a clear sticker on it" but it will just be my word against theirs.

The reality is, unfortunately, if you buy an opened "new" game and don't make sure they do something to signify that it's "sealed," you're gonna have a ball-busting affair trying to return it. I'm sure many GS managers would just take it back to avoid a customer making a scene, but I'm also sure a lot of regular employees, fearful of getting in trouble, would battle you to the bitter end.

[quote name='jdawgg76']Long time back I preordered Colin McRae Rally 3 for Xbox. When I picked it up, it had been gutted so they could put a display box out with stickers all over it. I was furious, but considering noone else had any and I didn't want to wait until I could find it in stock elsewhere I took it. The disc was in perfectly fine shape, but what if it had been a gift or something. I hardly stepped into any GS again until I joined CAG and started finding out about deals there.

Back OT, the list isn't that great for me. Definitely interested in a couple games if they're 50% off, but I already have the handful of 360 games that are good.[/QUOTE]

This would have been totally unacceptable to me. There is no reason to open and gut a preordered game. Absolutely none.

[quote name='bigdaddybruce44']The reality is, unfortunately, if you buy an opened "new" game and don't make sure they do something to signify that it's "sealed," you're gonna have a ball-busting affair trying to return it. I'm sure many GS managers would just take it back to avoid a customer making a scene, but I'm also sure a lot of regular employees, fearful of getting in trouble, would battle you to the bitter end.[/QUOTE]

Wouldn't that cause some legal issues? It goes right against their return policy if I can't return it.

The reason they gut all the games for gamedays is so that every customer browsing the bin will see every game available easily. If there's 20 gutted copies of a game you're going to be more likely to end up seeing it than if there's one. They cannot rely on their employees to make sure one copy would always be in the bin at all times for everyone to see. All they want is to make sure they have the best chances of making money.

[quote name='jdawgg76']Long time back I preordered Colin McRae Rally 3 for Xbox. When I picked it up, it had been gutted so they could put a display box out with stickers all over it. I was furious, but considering noone else had any and I didn't want to wait until I could find it in stock elsewhere I took it. The disc was in perfectly fine shape, but what if it had been a gift or something. I hardly stepped into any GS again until I joined CAG and started finding out about deals there.

Back OT, the list isn't that great for me. Definitely interested in a couple games if they're 50% off, but I already have the handful of 360 games that are good.[/quote]
I had a similar experience. I preordered GTA IV, I went in to get in on a break from work, so I was in a hurry. I grabbed a couple other games and let. Things on the lot where so so, the boss let me leave. When I got home I realized that GTA IV was gutted. But the box only contained the disk, no book or anything else. I called them and they told me I needed to come right back. They gave me the run around for 35 minutes then gave my money back. So I never went back to that one. Luckily there is a newone near my house. They don't gut all the new games, once they recognize you they will just give you what you prefer. Thay also leave the backing on the stickers for the gutted games, so they aren't stuck to it.

[quote name='Ubiiquitous']Wouldn't that cause some legal issues? It goes right against their return policy if I can't return it.[/quote]

Not at all. You're trying to return an opened product. You can exchange it for another copy if yours is defective, but you can't return it for a refund.

Yes, I realize they opened it, but again, this is the way GameStop works. If you're buying a new game, and they try to shove the display copy on you, either don't buy it or, if you think there could be an issue, make sure they put a stick on the case to "seal" it.

[quote name='J7.']The reason they gut all the games for gamedays is so that every customer browsing the bin will see every game available easily. If there's 20 gutted copies of a game you're going to be more likely to end up seeing it than if there's one. They cannot rely on their employees to make sure one copy would always be in the bin at all times for everyone to see. All they want is to make sure they have the best chances of making money.[/QUOTE]

I don't buy that reason. They can't count on their employees to return the copies to the bin? I've seen some cases where you have one employee doing the work and 2 to 3 shooting the shit or twiddling their thumbs.

Also, why not just have a flyer in the store with all the games that are on sale? Better yet, have a display holding the flyers at the store entrance so everyone can see what's on sale without having to gut every copy of every game.

[quote name='Chowe05']Heh, I work at Gamestop as well, but we do not play new games at our store.[/quote]

I know GameStop used to have a policy that a employee could sign out a game, even if it was sealed new, and take it home to play for a few days. Then the game was still sold as new. There was a sheet that a manager and employee signed off on next to the games title in the small binder that was used for the daily assignments. Don't know if that practice is still in use but I can check.

[quote name='bigdaddybruce44']Not at all. You're trying to return an opened product. You can exchange it for another copy if yours is defective, but you can't return it for a refund.

Yes, I realize they opened it, but again, this is the way GameStop works. If you're buying a new game, and they try to shove the display copy on you, either don't buy it or, if you think there could be an issue, make sure they put a stick on the case to "seal" it.[/QUOTE]

True, but according to the sales associate, I'm buying a "new" product, so that can really cause confusion. I don't buy opened uless it's used, but for those who aren't as versed in the process, theere could be issues.

So what's the deal with getting a copy of a game beforehand and then taking it back for the discount. I wanna get some for myself and some for gifts and I'm not a real fan of the gut...

[quote name='bigdaddybruce44']You're absolutely right. There could be issues. I don't disagree with you in the least bit. It stinks, but it's reality, unfortunately.[/QUOTE]

Yep. You are right. Although, it's probably more unfortunate for them, because I just wind up buying the game new somewhere else.

[quote name='Josef']I don't buy that reason. They can't count on their employees to return the copies to the bin? I've seen some cases where you have one employee doing the work and 2 to 3 shooting the shit or twiddling their thumbs.

Also, why not just have a flyer in the store with all the games that are on sale? Better yet, have a display holding the flyers at the store entrance so everyone can see what's on sale without having to gut every copy of every game.[/quote]
No they figure they can't. Some employees are that bad, which is why you'll see them just shooting the shit. A person is more likely to buy a game if they grab onto the actual case and also look at it. Flyer doesn't work as well for making the sale. And individual flyers would cost them more money they don't want to spend, and people would make a mess of them, or they may run out.

[quote name='Ubiiquitous']Yep. You are right. Although, it's probably more unfortunate for them, because I just wind up buying the game new somewhere else.[/quote]

Yes, because I'm sure the people at Gamestop are hurt by the fact that one insignificant person won't buy a game from there.

[quote name='J7.']No they figure they can't. Some employees are that bad, which is why you'll see them just shooting the shit. A person is more likely to buy a game if they grab onto the actual case and also look at it. Flyer doesn't work as well for making the sale. And individual flyers would cost them more money they don't want to spend, and people would make a mess of them, or they may run out.[/quote]

You're exactly right on both points, especially about making the sale. Marketing research has shown that a customer feels more attraction to a product when they can pick it up and look at it. Yeah, it's just a case to a game, but it works. They will also feel more attachment to it by bringing it up to the counter.

Metal Gear Sold: The Essentials Collection is backordered on gamestop.com. And the only Gamestop in my area has it...opened and without the box because "someone stole it".

>.< Can you still order it on the website backordered?

[quote name='KingofOldSchool']Yes, because I'm sure the people at Gamestop are hurt by the fact that one insignificant person won't buy a game from there.[/QUOTE]

Right. Because we're only talking about 1 person. I'm the only one in the country who refuses to buy opened "new" games. Besides, every sale hurts. Sure, the high school student behind the counter couldn't care less, but the company wants to maximize sales, right?

Something tells me you aren't a business owner. And if you are, God help you and your ignorance.

GameStop is the last place I go when looking to get a "new" game. the only reason they get any of my money once or twice a year is because it's at a real low price. other than that I shop other stores or online. no one in there right mind wants a "new" opened game but when that game is 50% off I could care less.

What makes me sick is that half of Gamestop's billion dollar sales are in used games, and ZERO of that goes to the publishers and developers who made it

Imagine how many great games would have had sequels by now if they got their money

bread's done
Back