Gamestop Game Days Sale June 2nd + 10% off coupon - LISTS ARE IN!

Status
Not open for further replies.

kevzik

CAGiversary!
Feedback
34 (100%)
LISTS ARE IN - BIG UPS TP TAMMY P AND MASTER SHAKE

[quote name='Master Shake']ps3 official list
condemned 2 29.99
def jam icon 19.99
harry potter 00tp 19.99
nba homecourt 19.99
timeshift 29.99
viking 29.99
virtua fighter 5 19.99
virtua tennis 3 19.99

xbox 360

battlefield 19.99
battlestations midway 19.99
burnout revenge 19.99
command and conquer 19.99
condemned 2 29.99
def jam icon 19.99
fear 19.99
godfather 19.99
just cause 19.99
nba homecourt 19.99
need for speed carbon 19.99
sega superstar tennis 14.99
sonic 14.99
timeshift 19.99
viking 29.99
virtua tennis 3 19.99

wii official list

ben 10 14.99
fishing master 14.99
godfather 19.99
hot whees 19.99
house of dead 1 & 2 19.99 (17.99 with coupon) I think best deal
mario & sonic 29.99
mortal kombat 19.99
naruto 19.99
puppy luv 19.99
sega tennis 19.99
sims pet 2 19.99
sonic secret rings 19.99
sonic riders 19.99
super monkey 19.99
the bigs 19.99

pc games

diablo 2 lord of 9.99
dirty dancing (shure to sell a million) 9.99
guild wars eye of the north 14.99 (excellent price)
tabula rising collectors 29.99
tabula rising 14.99
warcraft 3 frozen throne 9.99
warcraft battlechest WOW ed 29.99
zoo tycoon complete 9.99

ds official list

atv/monter truck 9.99
baby pals 19.99
ben 10 14.99
dementium 14.99
digimon dawn 19.99
digimon dusk 19.99
diner dash 14.99
EA play ground 9.99
mario ans sonic 14.99
nervous breakdown 14.99
puppy luv 9.99
rafa tennis 19.99
sega tennis 14.99
sonic rush 14.99
super monkey ball 14.99
uno/ski o/ uno freefall 9.99
worms 2 9.99

PSP

after burner 19.99
atari evolved 9.99
ben 10 14.99
blitz 9.99
brave story 19.99
crazy taxi 19.99 - terible price in my opion
downstream panic 14.99
full auto 2 14.99
harvest moon 14.99
hot wheels ul racing 9.99
juiced 2 9.99
midway arcade ext plAY 9.99
MONTER HUNTER 2 - 19.99 *** BEST DEAL FOR SURE
mortal kombat deception - 9.99
sega collection - 14.99
sonic rivals - 14.99
street fighter alpha 3 max - 9.99 *** ok price
valhalla knights 19.99 - good price if you dont have it with 10% off coupon
worms 2 - 14.99

ps2

ace combat zero - 19.99
ben 10 14.99
cabelas alaskian 14.99
destroy all humans 1 0r 2 9.99
bragon ball z 3 19.99, 1 and 2 9.99
godzilla unleashed 19.99
hitman trilogy 19.99 - actullay really good price with extr 10% OFF FOR ALL 3 BRAND NEW GAMES
JAWS - 9.99
KATAMARI DAMACY - 9.99 AWSOME DEAL IF YOU GET SEALED
mortal k arma - 9.99
namco 50th 14.99
nicktoons unite 9.99
odin sperhe - 19.99 - can anyone argur with the 10% off coupon
scarface 9.99
sega gen collection 9.99
sega super star tenis 19.99
shadow the hedgehog 9.99
sonic heroes 9.99
sonic mega colection 9.99
sonic riders 9.99 (funny i think they just broke down the sonic 3 pack that was 29.99 for these
soul calibur 3 - 9.99
tomb raider legend - 9.99

umd list all are 4.99 - 4.49 with coupon
7 seconds
anacondas 2
are we there yet
bewitched
big hit
boogeyman
the cave
charlies agels
cowboy bebop
creatur comforts season 1
crouching tiger
dark crystal
deuce big europe
excorcism of emily
fifth elm
the fog 2005
fun with dick
godzilla
godzilla final wars
grudge
guess who
heavy metal
hellboy
hollow man
hostel
house of flying daggers
into the blue
joe dirt
kung fu hustle
labrynth
layer cake
legend of zorro
man of the house
mask of zorro
mirormask
not another teen movie - early Jamie pressly movie - she's soo hot
one upon mexico
rent
replacement killers
reidenr evil
RE apoc
richard pryor live
spider-man animated series
starship troopers
stealth
steamboy
stuart little 1 and 2 (both on one umd)
stuart 3
when a stranger calls
XXX state of un
you got served
zathura[/quote]

UPDATE: May 26

Yeah...still no list, BUT

CAGs have been mentioning lists received by stores and new price markings taking place. Its all a matter of us drilling employees for info or attaining the list.
-----------------------------------------------

Just noticed the Game days sale ad in the latest game informer. Last year's sale was pretty decent so its worth a thread. I'll try to post the ad and coupon later. Best part is the coupon doesn't say anything about being void if copied. No specifics yet on the sale.

"Hundreds of games and accessories up to 50% off"

Things to note:
- Should stack with edge (assuming there are used deals).
- Offer ends 6/30/08
- If you know the specifics, let us know!

Canada's Sale ( not known to be the same as the one here in the states)
http://ebgames.ca/fsi.asp

[quote name='freakyzeeky']Here's the scan...

gamedays.jpg
[/quote]

[quote name='freakyzeeky']High-res scan of coupon...

GDCoupon.jpg
[/quote]

This whole sale was kind of weak, except for a few little exceptions. And those games (like Odin Sphere, Katamari, etc) are all going to be picked up by CAGs rather quickly.

I got there early because I've been trying to hunt down a cheap Odin Sphere forever. My CC didn't have it a few months back when they liquidated it there, so this sale was worth it just for that.

I went to my local Gamestop to pick up Viking - Battle for Asgard and Condemned 2 for PS3. To my surprise they weren't in the bins so I took a look around. I noticed that they were still marked as regular price at the PS3 section, so I asked one of the employees in the back of the counter. Low and behold he pulled out new copies of each game. The other employee then went ahead and told me how crappy these 2 games were and that I should purchase used copies so that I may 'return' them if I didn't like the game. New = 29.99 and used = 26.99. Needless to say I ended up purchasing the new copies. Been playing Viking and it's a much better game than I thought it was. I think they were just trying to make me buy used copies... I swear never has going to Gamestop been more dreadful than going to a car dealer.

Timeshift dropped to 19.99 for both ps3 and xb360 today. I don't think it's in the system yet but we got an e-mail about it, should be automatic tomorrow. Might be worth 20 bucks.

Wow, didn't even know about this sale beforehand. Walked out of EB with Monster Hunter Freedom 2 and Sonic Rivals for the PSP. Nearly bought Brave Story and some UMDs, but ultimately decided against.

[quote name='farley91']Anyone here play Viking: Battle for Asgard? I'm debating on purchasing it since it has mediocre reviews. Is it worth the $30?[/QUOTE]It's alright... nothing special. If you ever played Spartan: Total Warrior last gen, it's a lot like that (same developer), but with more of an open world feel. I'd say wait for it to hit $20.

[quote name='kaiyouske']I went to my local Gamestop to pick up Viking - Battle for Asgard and Condemned 2 for PS3. To my surprise they weren't in the bins so I took a look around. I noticed that they were still marked as regular price at the PS3 section, so I asked one of the employees in the back of the counter. Low and behold he pulled out new copies of each game. The other employee then went ahead and told me how crappy these 2 games were and that I should purchase used copies so that I may 'return' them if I didn't like the game. New = 29.99 and used = 26.99. Needless to say I ended up purchasing the new copies. Been playing Viking and it's a much better game than I thought it was. I think they were just trying to make me buy used copies... I swear never has going to Gamestop been more dreadful than going to a car dealer.[/quote]

Sounds like you have lame employees at your gamestop. I work at one, but none of us ever try and force a used sale (even though we are supposed to) I always offer a used game if it's there but always recommend new when there is a whole 3 dollar price difference. Our used prices suck most of the time, especially for recent realeses

Oddly enough, I was HAPPY to get a gutted game today at the gamedays sale. I bought a copy of DBZ Tenkaichi 3, and instead of giving me one of sealed ones with the gamedays sticker in the sale bin, the employee gave me a gutted copy of the preorder version with the bonus disk that was only given to preorders. I kept that one rather than ask for the sealed one, though the other game I bought was sealed. All of the sale games were sealed and in security casings to prevent theft. I was happy I went to that Gamestop.

[quote name='farley91']Anyone here play Viking: Battle for Asgard? I'm debating on purchasing it since it has mediocre reviews. Is it worth the $30?[/QUOTE]

I've been playing the valhalla out of it. It's not like what I expected at all. Most reviewers said it had the open-ended gameplay of GTA. It's actually pretty linear.

I had heard the framerate was poor and the graphics seems rushed. To be this game looks like a next-gen Fable. I'm often impressed with the variety of graphics and draw-distance.

The combat has something to it, to make it interesting long after it should be completely tedious.

Sleeper of the year, for me.

[quote name='padrino13']Timeshift dropped to 19.99 for both ps3 and xb360 today. I don't think it's in the system yet but we got an e-mail about it, should be automatic tomorrow. Might be worth 20 bucks.[/quote]
I got Timeshift used from Gamefly for $15.

I went to the Funcoland in Waldorf, MD. I had the 10% off coupon.

Picked up (rounded to nearest $):

Battlefield 2 - $18
Condemned 2 - $27
F.E.A.R. - $18
Virtua Tennis - $18

PS2

Hitman Trilogy - $18
Odin Sphere - $18
Katamari Damacy - $9

PSP

Worms 2 - $13.50

PS3

Nyko Remote - $9

$157.31 after tax

[quote name='DesertEagleXIX']I've been playing the valhalla out of it. It's not like what I expected at all. Most reviewers said it had the open-ended gameplay of GTA. It's actually pretty linear.

I had heard the framerate was poor and the graphics seems rushed. To be this game looks like a next-gen Fable. I'm often impressed with the variety of graphics and draw-distance.

The combat has something to it, to make it interesting long after it should be completely tedious.

Sleeper of the year, for me.[/QUOTE]

Yeah, I'm really digging this game too. It's funny because one of the reasons why the employee was saying that the game sucked was because she wasn't able to beat the first camp, and I found out that you were supposed to rescue those buddies of your's first. That made that part a lot easier.

The combat takes a little getting used to and is a little stiff, but once you get the hang of it it's actually pretty fun. One thing that really annoyed me was that the art for the goddesses looked pretty good on paper but in-game they looked ugly as f*@k. I really hate it when the art is inconsistent like that. Oh well. I think this game is worth pruchasing for 29.99.

Hai Guyz
Sorta neat news..if you have a DS and a Wii and interested in getting Worms 2 check out your Nintendo Channel. There's a demo of it up :cool:

I'm gonna try it tonight, and if I like it I'll get it tomorrow ^_^

I checked the Viewmont Mall Gamestop in Scranton, PA and found that they still had 3-4 of the cases for Odin Sphere AND Katamari Damacy at 7-7:30 pm. Though, I should mention that if they were originally sealed copies that were gutted, they came in those newer PS2 game cases without the memory card slot in it(the same one that Fire Pro Wrestling Returns came in).

I bought Guild Wars: Eye of the North for $14.43. With 10% coupon and sale. Awesomeeeeee.

Now I just need to find Guild Wars...

Also, anyone see Oblivion in stores? I only see the expansions...

[quote name='GLOCKGLOCK']Struck out trying to find House of the Dead today. I'll have to hit up some other stores and see if I can score one somewhere.[/quote]
There were a couple copies at mine.

I already have this on Xbox and I think it's overpriced even on sale.

The game is 10 and 7 years-old ffs. It should be $5.

Just cuz they put iout on a new system shoudn't warrant the price hike unless there were extra features for which there aren't.

[quote name='IAmTheCheapestGamer']I checked the Viewmont Mall Gamestop in Scranton, PA and found that they still had 3-4 of the cases for Odin Sphere AND Katamari Damacy at 7-7:30 pm. Though, I should mention that if they were originally sealed copies that were gutted, they came in those newer PS2 game cases without the memory card slot in it(the same one that Fire Pro Wrestling Returns came in).[/quote]

Odin Sphere originally came with the case with the memory card holder and I have no idea about Katamari because I never had the game...

Interesting fact I went to return VF5 for PS3 later in the day and the guy accidently credited me 29.99 instead of 19.99.

I corrected him on the mistake but he seriously was going to give me that amount as credit back. Weird huh?

[quote name='Shimrra']Interesting fact I went to return VF5 for PS3 later in the day and the guy accidently credited me 29.99 instead of 19.99.

I corrected him on the mistake but he seriously was going to give me that amount as credit back. Weird huh?[/quote]

You're a good person for doing that. I hope karma pays you back for that in a big way.

My Gamestop had a huge bin of UMD movies, all 5$ each, all sealed. I bought Zathura.

I also bought harvest moon, convienent for me that it went on sale just as I finished Innocent life and right when I wanted to buy it. I am pretty sure all the games were sealed here, the harvest moon was gutted however it was the only one in the bin.I am suspecting they had it in the store before the sale and did not receive any copies of that game. People don't buy too many games in my area so there was still plenty left even though I went at night, 2 copies of Monster hunter left, but I didn't buy it because I heard you have to play with friends to finish it and thats its too difficult to play on your own if you want to finish the game. I don't have ready access to a friend with a PSP and monster hunter so I am holding off until an online version makes it to the states.

BEST. SALE. EXPERIENCE. EVER.

I didn't hit the sale last year, so I was expecting big, ugly bins (like at Walmart) and limited stock, based on things I've read here. I planned to hit a bunch of stores and start right at 10AM to look for things on my list.

First store, half hour after opening, and they had multiples of everything. Very neat and orderly (alphabetized, even!). Blew me away. I grabbed everything on my list in about 2 minutes. Then they honored the reprinted coupon. Wowsers.

I mentioned the stories from last year, and the guy said they set it up exactly the same way as this year. But corporate sent an e-mail at the last minute and said to dump it all in bins because "that's what the customers enjoy". He agreed with me that the whole point of that is to frustrate someone looking for something in particular in the hopes they will buy the junkier titles floating around on top. Glad Gamestop changed their minds this year. :applause:

[quote name='Busyman']There were a couple copies at mine.

I already have this on Xbox and I think it's overpriced even on sale.

The game is 10 and 7 years-old ffs. It should be $5.

Just cuz they put iout on a new system shoudn't warrant the price hike unless there were extra features for which there aren't.[/quote]

I wish the first game was on here. Not sure why they didn't add it. But nevertheless, I wanted a shooting game for the wii and I think that Sega could really do well with collections of Virtua Cop and Time Crisis collections for the Wii. Funny, all this time I thought I had the first game for the Dreamcast but it was just the second. I guess the first came out for the Saturn long ago and looking at the reviews for that...didn't do to well. But nevertheless, it's a fun game and don't mind paying $17+ for this sale.

Btw...anyone going back for more? Hehe.... I think I may go back for Valhalla Knights...I need to pick up an RE UMD... I traded it in after I bought and watched it years ago but since I have the second and third...need to get the first again. I think I may pick up Stealth....doesn't it come with a free PSP game or something like that.

[quote name='keefurxxcore']

Also, anyone see Oblivion in stores? I only see the expansions...[/quote]

Yes. A couple of Targets near me still have copies of the original game (not GotY Edition).

[quote name='Derrick1979']Odin Sphere originally came with the case with the memory card holder and I have no idea about Katamari because I never had the game...[/quote]

I had it, I paid $20 for it about 6 months or so after release. I wanted to find out what everyone was raving about. It's a nice, mindless game, but dull as hell(and weird to boot) imo. I sold it to a friend of mine for $12-15 for her and her kids to play, since they played the hell out of the demo and loved it.

[quote name='IAmTheCheapestGamer']I had it, I paid $20 for it about 6 months or so after release. I wanted to find out what everyone was raving about. It's a nice, mindless game, but dull as hell(and weird to boot) imo. I sold it to a friend of mine for $12-15 for her and her kids to play, since they played the hell out of the demo and loved it.[/quote]

I was so excited about this game when it came out and I never played past the first chapter and im yet to go back to it lol but It has its special place in my eyes because the sheer beauty of the 2D graphics of the game.. one of those types of games we are rarely treated to anymore..

[quote name='Derrick1979']I was so excited about this game when it came out and I never played past the first chapter and im yet to go back to it lol but It has its special place in my eyes because the sheer beauty of the 2D graphics of the game.. one of those types of games we are rarely treated to anymore..[/quote]

I think he was referring to Katamari, actually. ;)

[quote name='GoVols']Is this sale on used or new games? Also, when is it over?[/QUOTE]

New games, and its over when the stock runs out, or the end of the month (I think...)

[quote name='lilboo']Hai Guyz
Sorta neat news..if you have a DS and a Wii and interested in getting Worms 2 check out your Nintendo Channel. There's a demo of it up :cool:

I'm gonna try it tonight, and if I like it I'll get it tomorrow ^_^[/quote]
good looking out boo.

[quote name='thingsfallnapart']Disappointed to see the used copies of the games on sale didnt drop.[/quote]

ya i had the impression that like mad shit was gonna be on sale (new and used)..when i got to my gs they had like 2 bins of the new stuff that was advertised...did GS do a Used sale during gamer days last year?

on another note i was able to pick up a used (but in ridiculously good condition) for copy of god of war for 8 bucks.

[quote name='bigdaddybruce44']I think you got GS/EB policy mixed-up. They do not accept returns on opened new games, unless it is defective, in which case you would receive the same game in return. It is only used games that you can return within seven days for a refund, no matter what the reason.

On another note, I have only been to one store so far, but everything was sealed. This was at Newport in Jersey City.[/quote]

[quote name='nygfan']Bigdaddy right about the return policy. I also went to the Newport location after I got off from work. They have the display copies in the bins with the sealed games behind the glass counter. I picked up Soul Calibur 3 and Odin Sphere but they still had display copies for Katamari Damacy. This was around 5pm though.[/quote]

Wow two Jersey City people... Damn now I know who the CAGers are in my area beating me to all the deals...

On a side note I picked up sealed copies at Newport of

PS2
Odin Sphere
Katamari Damancy

Hitman: Blood Money
Command and Conquer 3: Tiberium Wars

passed on Timeshift as they didn't have any sealed copies left or maybe the CSR just couldnt find one... Probably gonna go check another Gamestop for Timeshift tomorrow....

I went crazy today and bought $200+ worth of stuff. I told myself I wouldn't but some of the deals were genuinely good and with the 10% off coupon they seemed even better in my eyes. Unfortunately, my store was one of the ones notorious for "gutting" them and all of the "new" copies were opened already. The worker said last year a lot of people stole games despite the fact the store had camera and that there was, "nothing we could do about it".

Sucks to be me. This makes me wonder now...he didn't put any kind of sealing / wrap / sticker on the cases like some of you mentioned, so if I find these games sealed at another Gamestop will they allow me to return/swap them? It seems only fair but somehow I have a feeling they won't. Anyone know the official policy on that one?

Based on the shitty offers I think I'm gonna wait to see if a B2G1 sale is scheduled for the end of game days
I have the edge card + 10% GI coupon for game days + GS email 10% coupon, you guys think this three discounts will apply so I can get 30% off the total?

[quote name='goomba478']I went crazy today and bought $200+ worth of stuff. I told myself I wouldn't but some of the deals were genuinely good and with the 10% off coupon they seemed even better in my eyes. Unfortunately, my store was one of the ones notorious for "gutting" them and all of the "new" copies were opened already. The worker said last year a lot of people stole games despite the fact the store had camera and that there was, "nothing we could do about it".

Sucks to be me. This makes me wonder now...he didn't put any kind of sealing / wrap / sticker on the cases like some of you mentioned, so if I find these games sealed at another Gamestop will they allow me to return/swap them? It seems only fair but somehow I have a feeling they won't. Anyone know the official policy on that one?[/quote]

Doing a quick swap [no receipt transaction] is YMMV... But you could just buy another copy [sealed this time] and then just return the gutted one either in the same transaction or even right after or back at the first store it really depends on you as this isn't really against the rules as you still havn't opened [atleast if they put that circular sticker] your game.

I stopped in at my local gamestop around 8:30 pm, and i was shocked to see 3 or 4 (gutted) copies of Odin Sphere. I thought they would have all been sold out by now. Probably would have grabbed it had i not got it for $13 new at circuit city. Anyways, I came looking for a copy of timeshift. They had a few, but they were marked at $30. Wasn't it supposed to be $20? Did my store mess up on the price? Incidentally, i went to target after that to look at the new drops and found Timeshift for $20, but I'm still curious. All the other prices seemed to be right. Has this happened to anyone else?

[quote name='ChavaSalinas']Based on the shitty offers I think I'm gonna wait to see if a B2G1 sale is scheduled for the end of game days
I have the edge card + 10% GI coupon for game days + GS email 10% coupon, you guys think this three discounts will apply so I can get 30% off the total?[/quote]

Coupons don't usually stack with deals in the Gamestop computer you would need the Gamestop guy/girl to do it manually and that is extremely YMMV... But Edge stacks with anything...

I really don't get all the fuss about "gutted" copies of games. What? Do you guys never open them or something? As long as its in good condition with everything present, who gives a flying fart if the game's been opened?

Geez.

As for those complaining about the used stuff not being on sale.....uhhh, you guys do know they have B2G1F sales all the time, right? They've had 2 or 3 already this year! Get over it. :roll:

I ordered MHF 2 and Brave Story off the website... much easier than running around to a bunch of different stores...

[quote name='Zippon']I really don't get all the fuss about "gutted" copies of games. What? Do you guys never open them or something? As long as its in good condition with everything present, who gives a flying fart if the game's been opened?

Geez.

As for those complaining about the used stuff not being on sale.....uhhh, you guys do know they have B2G1F sales all the time, right? They've had 2 or 3 already this year! Get over it. :roll:[/QUOTE]

Newb :newbie:

The problem is that they are selling games that are no longer new/factory sealed at prices as if they were. As soon as someone other then the buyer opens a product, that product should no longer be considered new, it is used, however Gamestop is able to get away with this because of people like you. I'm sorry, but if im paying the price for something that is "new" it damn well better not have been opened prior to me getting it.

just got back from the gamestop that i know isnt very popular and had a lot of sealed games. bought Monster Hunter Freedom 2 sealed, the 2 people working there were pretty kick ass. making comments about me and "us people" already knowing every deal they have far before they step out of the house, and when i pulled out the 10% coupon, they just smiled and accepted the coupon and saying they know all the deals.

[quote name='TomoyoN']Wow two Jersey City people... Damn now I know who the CAGers are in my area beating me to all the deals...

On a side note I picked up sealed copies at Newport of

PS2
Odin Sphere
Katamari Damancy

Hitman: Blood Money
Command and Conquer 3: Tiberium Wars

passed on Timeshift as they didn't have any sealed copies left or maybe the CSR just couldnt find one... Probably gonna go check another Gamestop for Timeshift tomorrow....[/quote]

yay peps from jersey.:bouncy:

Well I picked up

odin sphere
katamari damancy

passed on virtua fighter 5 & C&C3 from woodbridge store on 1&9.

Had tone of stuff, but was little disappointed by the sale.

[quote name='genfuyung']Does the edge card get any discount for this sale. Someone earlier mentioned it stacking with the 10% coupon.[/quote]

No, but you could fuss at the employee until they classify it as used to get a slight discount. After all, there is logic in that argument, would just depend on who your telling it to. Assuming the game is gutted that is. But NONE of the games in this sale are new. I guess you could also complain the used game is not cheaper than the new one and get a few bucks off plus and extra 10 percent with your edge. But its kind of a hassle, but if you want to be that cheap, you can try it. Hope that made sense.

[quote name='Zippon']I really don't get all the fuss about "gutted" copies of games. What? Do you guys never open them or something? As long as its in good condition with everything present, who gives a flying fart if the game's been opened?

Geez.[/quote]

You might be surprised to hear this, but some people actually don't ever open some copies of their games. They keep them or collect them.

Luckily, my local GS had pretty much every PS2 game I had already had in mind to purchase......not to mention that the people around my area are too indifferent/oblivious to hoard copies of games. Unfortunately, as others may have repored, all of the "Game Days" games were gutted and not sealed. After thoroughly observing the pile of PS2/PSP games, I had finally decided to purchase:

Sega Genesis Collection (PS2)
Katamari Damacy (PS2)

I was leaning toward buying "Mortal Kombat Armageddon" (PS2) but figured that I had missed out on too much of the MK "backstory" to jump in, and that the large cast of characters was mostly "fluff", ditto on the backstory with "Soul Calibur 3" (PS2, plus I was informed about that Memory Card error thingy). I really, really was about to buy "Odin Sphere", but seeing as all of the copies were gutted, and I, as a pre-32-bit gamer who hasn't thoroughly played an RPG since FF7 a decade ago, I decided against it.

As I went to the nearest PS2 at disposal and played through the "Sega Genesis Collection", I was somewhat disappointed with the selection of games and tried to return the game (at least for some store credit!) but they wouldn't accept it , seeing as it was new and opened. (Yes, it was gutted, but the disc and manual were thankfully spotless).

I still have yet to "open" "Katamari Damacy", and mostly bought the game on the whim that it was a PS2 "cult classic", do you guys think that I should return it for a refund? I'm already facing major buyer's remorse on purchasing that SGC, seeing as I have long had all of those games easily disposable on my PC, and attempted ONCE AGAIN (at I have already done with the costly purchases of "Street Fighter Anniversary Collection", "Street Fighter Alpha Anthology", "Capcom Classics Collection" Volumes 1 & 2 and "Taito Legends" Volume 2) to do the "right thing" and own them legally, when in retrospect I could've been better off with Mortal Kombat Armageddon or even "Odin Sphere".

[quote name='Rihan']Newb :newbie:

The problem is that they are selling games that are no longer new/factory sealed at prices as if they were. As soon as someone other then the buyer opens a product, that product should no longer be considered new, it is used, however Gamestop is able to get away with this because of people like you. I'm sorry, but if im paying the price for something that is "new" it damn well better not have been opened prior to me getting it.[/quote]

LOL! How about "adult" rather than "newb", especially since I've been gaming longer than you've been alive, kiddo! :applause:

Yeah, see, you kids are whinging based on principle, nothing more. The reality of the situation is that your principled generation believes theft is okay, which is why Gamestop does what it does. Ironic, eh?

You guys are still complaining about nothing. The case is perfect, the game is perfect. At most, you might have a slight crease to a page in the game manual. Not worth all the fuss. But you cool guys keep on truckin' with your righteous causes. LOL.

(And I see one guy did admit to collecting games to put them on display rather than play them. That's fine, if that's your thing. But I imagine that's only a small percentage of the folks who fret about it.)

I will be the first to admit that lately I am a collector first and gamer second. Heck, sometimes I'm more into buying and searching for games and deals (I have CAG to thank for that) than I am actually playing games. Sad but true. Maybe it's a sign of getting old or maybe I just don't find modern games as much fun as I did in the NES/SNES days...but I digress.

I actually like to buy two copies of all games that I enjoy. One to keep sealed and one to play. I know it sounds stupid, but if I had done this as a kid I'd be really well-off as many sealed classic games go for big bucks these days (Chrono Trigger or FF7 anyone?). When Gamestop "guts" the games it's not that they're doing anything wrong...but to list them as "new" is slighly dishonest especially if you buy it and want to return it 5 days later and they tell you "Sorry it's opened we can't take it back". You wouldn't buy opened games from Wal-Mart and pay full price, so why is it Gamestop gets a free pass?

For those of you who say Gutting is simply to protect from theft let me make this argument: back in the old days at Toys R Us you could buy a game by taking a slip of paper to a back area where they kept all the real games (factory sealed no less). After you paid at the register you'd bring your paper and receipt to the front and get the game. No gutting involved. Gamestop could easily use a system like this or even just put dummy cases (it's easy enough to create faux covers for generic DVD cases). This would mean the real games could be left sealed, and there would be no need to gum them up with crappy stickers and the manuals wouldn't need to be taken out of and played with by toddlers either. I know I'm picky, but when I'm spending as much as $10,000+ a year on gaming I think it's fair to at least have something to whine about.

Status
Not open for further replies.
bread's done
Back