GameStop GameCube Greed - Used Prices Being Raised Once Again

Tsukento

CAGiversary!
Feedback
2 (100%)
Upon glancing at their list, it appears games for the GameCube are jumping in prices on their list. Considering how stores have been GETTING RID of GameCube games, how does it make sense to RAISE the prices on these? At that rate, they won't sell.

Let's take a look at some games:

Eternal Darkness - $17.99
Kirby's Air Ride - $19.99
LEGO Star Wars II: The Original Trilogy - $19.99
Mario Kart Double Dash!! - $29.99
Metal Gear Solid: The Twin Snakes - $19.99
Namco Museum - $19.99
Pikmin 2 - $19.99
Pokémon Colosseum - $24.99
Spider-Man 2: The Game - $19.99
Star Wars: Bounty Hunter - $19.99
Star Wars: The Clone Wars - $19.99

Here's the kicker. ED used to be $12.99. Lego Star Wars II was just made into a Player's Choice title on ALL consoles it was on. In fact, everything mentioned there are PLAYER'S CHOICE titles. So why in the world are they AT and ABOVE the retail price in used condition, let alone not likely to come with case and manual?

GameStop is no retail store. It's a fucking pawn shop that tries to monitor eBay's every moves.

[quote name='Tsukento']It's a fucking pawn shop that tries to monitor eBay's every moves.[/QUOTE]

Don't insult pawn shops. :) Many of them have more integrity than GS.

God DAMN them for trying to make as much profit as possible. They simply aren't providing the charitable offerings they should be! [/sarcasm]

[quote name='Cornfedwb']God DAMN them for trying to make as much profit as possible. They simply aren't providing the charitable offerings they should be! [/sarcasm][/quote]
If I may quote their "About Us" page...

Everything that we offer our customers—from our expansive selection of new products, to our knowledgeable associates and our value-added pre-owned products—is geared to deliver customer satisfaction.

Together, we hold a passion for gaming, a commitment to our industry and a disciplined business perspective to continuously drive value with shareholders, customers, vendors and employees.

There's no customer satisfaction OR value if they're driving up prices on games that they're basically trying to get rid of in stores. There's no customer satisfaction if they're selling games without case or manual at the price of a NEW copy. There's no value for the customers.

selling them for much cheaper than ebay would be a big loss of cash. the Ebay market is a thermometer for rare and in demand games, and GS can afford to raise their prices to where it's cheaper than ebay but not a huge loss. so then ebay shoppers can make this comparison then go to GS.

but sometimes, they are off on their estimations and often, the games drop price on ebay but remain expensive at GS.

or maybe we need to go back further....it all started in 1776 with the publishing of "Wealth of Nations"....

Not to mention, you can't have new product from them when it comes out unless you either pre-ordered or are just lucky enough to get one of the few extra copies they may have.

For a store that specializes in selling video games, they sure are the bordering on the worst place to go to for games.

I noticed that a lot of games on the gamestop website are getting price raises but some are dropping in price which is normal. I want to know why Pokemon Colloseum has recently had a price raise to 24.99 from 17.99 though, its a common game plus only works with the old generation games when everyone is already playing D/P.

A lot of "like new" games on ebay command way less money than what gamestop is asking for used, scratched up copies of games..

They dont "lose" cash if they dont keep up with ebay pricing. They pay maybe 25 cents on the dollar for their inventory, possibly less. I have no problem with them raising the price for less common titles, but now its to the point where they are matching or going well above the ebay rates for most of these games. There is absolutely no incentive to buy from them anymore, and I used to be one of their biggest supporters around here. Since the merger it has just gotten continuously worse, these days there are more price increases than there are price drops. The next gen titles take entirely too long to drop as well and usually are overpriced.

This is exactly why I shop everywhere but there now. It's getting out of hand with the prices for common games. Who the heck is going to pay $20 each for Namco Museum & Spider-Man 2 when you can buy them new for that price?

As for Eternal Darkness, I can understand the price hike for that. That one is becoming a pain in the ass to find.

[quote name='tangytangerine']This is exactly why I shop everywhere but there now. It's getting out of hand with the prices for common games. Who the heck is going to pay $20 each for Namco Museum & Spider-Man 2 when you can buy them new for that price?

As for Eternal Darkness, I can understand the price hike for that. That one is becoming a pain in the ass to find.[/quote]
Here's the funny thing. Spider-Man 2 is $9.99 on Xbox, and $14.99 on PS2. Even the damn movie itself on DVD is $9.99.

Namco Museum is $17.99 on both Xbox and PS2. Who the hell's gonna go for the Cube version when the other two options are cheaper?

It's not because they're running low on inventory, it's because they're getting rid of it. GameCube sections in stores are low because they're cutting back on them. Not because they're running low. If anything, they send off supplies to other stores and to wherever it is the online store is run from.

Kirby Air Ride used to be 26.99, so that has DROPPED in price.

Mario Kart DD has been 34.99 at most Gamestops, so that has actually dropped as well.

as for the others at 19.99, I can't say it makes sense to sell a used game at the same retail price as a new one, but it's Gamestop after all....

The problem is that the first two drops happened long, long ago. There's no excuse to have Kirby's Air Ride at $20 used when it came out long ago, nor does it make sense to have used copies of Mario Kart DD at $30 when it retails for less at other locations new.

Neither of the two are exactly rare or very desired as they once were, either.

Of course they have to raise their prices, how else could they justify the good trade in values we get.

Nothing will change until there is some quality national competition. Until then, you are going to have hordes of people still trading stuff in and thinking they are getting good values for stuff.

GS can do this because they have a:
nintendo_monopoly.jpg

Thank you. I knew I couldn't be the only one expecting this.

People who never bought Gamecubes now have access to the entire Cube library. The only reason there's not even more demand is that some of these people are completely clueless.

Last time I was in TRU, there was a man and a woman looking at Gamecube games for their nephew (I think) who had a Wii. The conversation went like this -- I am not making any of it up:

Man: "Does this one work on the Wii?"
TRU: "Yes"
TRU: "Yes. They all do, but you need a Gamecube controller."
Man: "Oh. What's that?"
TRU: "A controller that the Gamecube used. You can't use the Wii remote."
Man:
TRU: "The thing that came with the Wii that you point at the screen? You know that? You can't use that. You need a different controller."
Man: "Do we have one of those."
Woman: "Oh, no. We don't."
Man: "Oh well, thanks."
Woman: "Oh look, $10 games!"

[quote name='Tsukento']Not to mention, you can't have new product from them when it comes out unless you either pre-ordered or are just lucky enough to get one of the few extra copies they may have.

For a store that specializes in selling video games, they sure are the bordering on the worst place to go to for games.[/quote]

LOL, QFT. Not to mention they don't price match and their horrid return policy. Honestly, anyone who religously shops at one of these stores is a complete moron.

Hah, When I bought my Wii there, I had a conversation likea lot like this:

Me: I rent from gamefly..

Clerk: Yah it's a nice place but we're the cheapest.

My dad: My son bought a $60 game (Gears of war) for $25 from Gamefly.

Clerk: ....................

My dad: Gamestop had better start renting games or they're not going to be here.

Clerk: I'm sure we'll be here a year from now.

I'm not making this up.

I don't shop at Gamestop any more. I don't even go there when they are having buy 2 get one free plus 10% off with your Gamestop card. Even then I can't justify paying their ripoff prices. Lately I have turned to CAG trading thread and bought some very good games for great deals. Last week I bought Burnout 360 for $15 shipped. I bought Princess Peach DS complete in mint shape for $16 shipped. I bought about 7 strategy guides for $15 shipped. I bought Panzer Dragoon Saga complete and Shining Force 3 complete for $200 shipped. The people here are very honest and will cut you a deal to get rid of stuff they don't want. You get great deals and don't fuel the Gamestop megacorp and they get a hell of a lot more money than doing a trade-in at Lamestop = Win-Win

Man, it seems like used copies of Kirby's Air Ride (even Player's Choice versions) go for around $20 everywhere. What the hell?

I was hoping it'd get cheaper but I think I'm just going to have to settle for the next $15 used copy I see at GameCrazy.

First off, for a GS near me had a sepereate wall to sort out the "better" more expensive xbox games, basically any of the used xbox games $17.99+. The other day, I go in just to look around and what do I find? They've added some GC games next to the xbox games. I think to myself, either there are some somewhat rare GC games or its a Wii boost. Looks like it....

Speaking of this topic, didn't notice until today. Did Resident Evil 2 jump in price by $10, I could've sworn it was $29.99 a few weeks ago? Same goes for Sonic Adventure 2 Battle, it was $10, now it's $15.

[quote name='refusedchaos']they have done this with every system...Silent hill 3 was $14.99 now $29.99..but damn do they get sum rare games from time to time[/quote]

Yeah and I'm STILL kicking myself in the ass for not grabbing all 2-3 copies of SH 3 I saw at a Sam Goody that went outta biz in Paramus, NJ about a year to a year and a half ago, back when FYE/Transworld gobbled them up

The price: $5 each, since it was their last 2-3 days in biz. I didn't bite because I figured 'I can grab this game from anyplace for $10-15 anytime I want' and also I didn't really WANT it at that point.

Of course, they still had LOTS of stock left since the % off wasn't anywhere near the damned cheapass price I wanted to pay, this included tons of guides which were probably dumpstered once they locked up that last time, some of which were sought after.

Then, the movie hit(which I liked surprisingly on rewatching it)and prices went insane on SH stuff, which forced me to use some of my then massive GS credit(from the trade 3, get $10 extra deal)to get a copy of SH 3. It only took me going out of town for work to a far off store to find a mint, complete copy.

Sometimes, being the cheapass I am backfires, ya know. So, I've learned my lesson that if there's a cheap deal to be had, I grab it while I can anymore.

[quote name='anotherpoorgamer']*shrugs
I bought Eternal Darkness at Gamestop for $15 new sealed about five years ago. lol[/quote]

still sealed???

I don't understand why they would raise prices on games during the off season too, it seems weird to me. No one is buying games now due to back to school being very close, and people don't buy as many games in the summer. Technically things should be cheapest in the summer off months. I could understand if they raised the prices before christmas like in november but this is ridiculous. Its ridiculous that they would raise the price of a used game anyways. They still have cart-only game boy color games in those stores for 29.99 a pop (used of course) when you can get the same game on ebay or amazon for like 5$.

No wonder the business I give to them continues to dwindle and the business I give to the CAG trade forums, Ebay, Amazon and other online websites increases.

[quote name='Cmosfm']Let's not forget Lumines for PSP.

12.99 last month, 24.99 now.

That's used...find a new copy and it's only 19.99[/quote]

dont forget your 5$ off coupon this week ;)

[quote name='SaraAB']I don't understand why they would raise prices on games during the off season too, it seems weird to me. No one is buying games now due to back to school being very close, and people don't buy as many games in the summer. Technically things should be cheapest in the summer off months. I could understand if they raised the prices before christmas like in november but this is ridiculous. Its ridiculous that they would raise the price of a used game anyways. They still have cart-only game boy color games in those stores for 29.99 a pop (used of course) when you can get the same game on ebay or amazon for like 5$.

No wonder the business I give to them continues to dwindle and the business I give to the CAG trade forums, Ebay, Amazon and other online websites increases.[/QUOTE]

Well, how do you think the public would reply if GS raised their prices during the holiday seasons? Im just saying, not the best publicity would be in their favor.

As for the GC games, probably since more people are getting the Wii, the demand for some of the GC games are moer higher than before. And they're just taking advantage.

[quote name='Tsukento']Upon glancing at their list, it appears games for the GameCube are jumping in prices on their list. Considering how stores have been GETTING RID of GameCube games, how does it make sense to RAISE the prices on these? At that rate, they won't sell.

Let's take a look at some games:

Eternal Darkness - $17.99
Kirby's Air Ride - $19.99
LEGO Star Wars II: The Original Trilogy - $19.99
Mario Kart Double Dash!! - $29.99
Metal Gear Solid: The Twin Snakes - $19.99
Namco Museum - $19.99
Pikmin 2 - $19.99
Pokémon Colosseum - $24.99
Spider-Man 2: The Game - $19.99
Star Wars: Bounty Hunter - $19.99
Star Wars: The Clone Wars - $19.99

Here's the kicker. ED used to be $12.99. Lego Star Wars II was just made into a Player's Choice title on ALL consoles it was on. In fact, everything mentioned there are PLAYER'S CHOICE titles. So why in the world are they AT and ABOVE the retail price in used condition, let alone not likely to come with case and manual?

GameStop is no retail store. It's a fucking pawn shop that tries to monitor eBay's every moves.[/quote]

TL;DR version:

GameStop is making monies NUUUUUUUUHHHHHHH

They shouldn't bother taking advantage. Ebay is as much as marketplace for "rare" games than Wal*Mart is, but only on ebay can they pay more than retail value. Games such as Super Paper Mario are being sold used for $55, not including shipping. Does that mean GS should inflate its prices to match them? Even it they raised it to $55, it would be cheaper than buying it on ebay and paying shipping.

The discerning factor that makes or breaks retail stores is its consistent pricing. No store should ever jack up its prices to reflect "consumer demand" - a phrase that means less and less every day.

[quote name='monkeydeew']still sealed???[/quote]
Nope, played the game a few times and never was able to get back into it. Maybe I should give it a second chance.

It is really discouraging to hear that games that used to be sold for so cheap are being sold for much higher. I get the whole "it is a discountinued game" and "compatible with the Wii," but still games shouldn't go up in price if they're really old, unless they had some sort of limited print run.

Does anyone know what are some good S-video cables for the GCN? I went to my local Gamestop and saw Madcatz brand as well as Intec. I can't find the official cables in-store at all.

I havent stepped foot in a GS/EB with the intent to buy something (or had that result) since the first Katamari Damacy was new (what I bought), but I don't see why everyone is complaining, it's a business and somehow I suppose it's making some money. Heck they have three stores in the mall near me (it isn't even a very large mall) and another around the corner, so the company must be doing something right.

I also understand the rise in GC prices, there must be tons of people with Wiis, who never owned a GC and nothing to play other than zelda at the moment.

bread's done
Back