GameStop give you less if no case?

RockMySocks10

CAGiversary!
Feedback
4 (100%)
I have two games I want to sell, Ghost Squad and Resident Evil 4 both for Wii. It is going to be hard to sell either game with just the disc on eBay since no one wants a game without a case due to fear of scratches, but will GameStop accept it? And will they give me less money since there is no case?

You can sell disc only on ebay, but you are going to get less than a complete copy. Just make sure to give a good description.

GS shouldnt give you less unless your disc is really scratch up.

I was hit for a total of $20 in refurbishing fees during the HWV sale (still bent them over and got 15 games for like $100 in games from HWV), and my local store now says "the game must come in original case and have the manual for full trade-in value" over the phone. YMWV.

YMMV. Some GS stores really don't care if they're disc only (but do bring them in a case, even if you don't have the cover art). Others will hit you with a refurbish fee for missing cover art and manual even if the disc is pristine. I've run into both.

[quote name='Guerrilla']YMMV. Some GS stores really don't care if they're disc only (but do bring them in a case, even if you don't have the cover art). Others will hit you with a refurbish fee for missing cover art and manual even if the disc is pristine. I've run into both.[/QUOTE]

Same.

At the local store, the manager is a real hard ass on having everything complete, and will dock you the refurb fee for anything you trade in if it is missing ANYTHING.

All of his employees though don't give a shit, and will give you full value, no matter what it comes with or, half the time, even the condition of the disc.

It's definite YMMV and I hate it when I was flipping and it happened because it's not like you pay less for disc only, so why bother charging you a fee for trading in like that?

a lot of gs stop charging fees on missing cases in order to cut down on costs. its stupid to ship over games to the warehouse just for a case and slip cover bc all stores have tons of these already. that being said, there is no official protocol and its up to the monkey doing the trade in.

My store doesnt care if you dont have original case/manual or booklet, they'll give you the same trade in value. Only hit with refurb fees if the disc is scuffed but if you dont like the guys opinion, take it to another store or wait for another clerk later.

It makes sense if they do. How many people would actually buy a game that isn't complete? When I buy used I always look for the cleanest copy with everything included. I won't buy anything else and I'm sure GS knows incomplete copies will sit for a long time.

i brought graw2 on psp & batallion wars on gc into local GS here and i asked if id get less w/o case. they gave full price that was listed on GS trade in page here on CAG.

[quote name='DPsx7']It makes sense if they do. How many people would actually buy a game that isn't complete? When I buy used I always look for the cleanest copy with everything included. I won't buy anything else and I'm sure GS knows incomplete copies will sit for a long time.[/QUOTE]

Unfortunately, you (and me, and many CAGs) are the exception rather than the rule.

If people weren't buying disc only games, GS would have stopped taking in disc only games years ago.

[quote name='Diosoth']They give you less for not having them, but still sell them for the same price. Typical.[/QUOTE]
We are talking about a store that sells GOTY editions without bonus discs, after all.

I know because I had to go to two different GameStop's to find one that had a Mass Effect GOTY with bonus disc. District Manager said they don't require them for trade-in and most people don't have them, anyways yet the GOTY edition and the regular edition sell for the same price!

The only reason I was so concerned was because I had exactly enough store credit to cover the cost of a Mass Effect and I wanted GOTY so I wouldn't have to buy Bring Down The Sky off of Marketplace.

After playing through Bring Down the Sky, I feel Bioware owes me $5.

[quote name='Diosoth']They give you less for not having them, but still sell them for the same price. Typical.[/QUOTE]

Because they are harder to sell........

[quote name='flameofdoom666']Because they are harder to sell........[/QUOTE]
Thus they should in-turn sell those games without artwork and/or manuals for less, right?

I went in to trade my old copy of the Halo 3 CE in because I had gotten a new one, and they told me to keep the case since they didn't distinguish from the regular, CE, and LE versions.

The guy there quoted me a $.50 charge for printing a replacement case, but he never charged me for it.

Definitely YMMV though.

[quote name='animalspinners']Unfortunately, you (and me, and many CAGs) are the exception rather than the rule.

If people weren't buying disc only games, GS would have stopped taking in disc only games years ago.[/QUOTE]

It's probably safe to assume those people will just trade it back once they're done. Manuals and cases aren't required if your goal is to gain some trophies than rush to something else. Those who buy games to collect or keep for a few years want the complete package.

That kinda makes it worse, doesn't it? They charge the same price for half a game, sell it, buy it back, and then sell it again. Like they have a whole seperate market for disc-only games.

bread's done
Back