Gamestop, I Hate You!!

Lord Draconus777

CAGiversary!
Feedback
4 (100%)
Ok, I really have to call bullshit on this one.

Today, I was on digitpress.com tooling with the search engine, and decided to check out titles with an 8 rating on the playstation. Sure enough, one of the most promising looking titles on the list was Psychic Detective. So, I decided to check out gamestop.com to see if any of my 3 local gamestop's had it, and sure enough, one of them did (!!!!!).

So, I called it up and asked if they had it. The guy on the phone didn't sound nerdy or real devoted to the the job, moreso like a crackhead kind of. Anyway, he tells me that they don't have it, but in a very hesitant voice (as in he extended the 'e' on we). I would just buy a copy on ebay, but the game's only $11 at gamestop whereas I'd easily pay $25 or more on ebay (not to mention it's rare to find a complete copy on ebay). So, if I were to go into the store and check to see if he never bothered looking for it, would there be anyway to expose the game without confrontation?

(This is at the Shelby Corners gamestop in Shelby Township, Michigan, if anyone was interested).

[quote name='Lord Draconus777']Ok, I really have to call bullshit on this one.

Today, I was on digitpress.com tooling with the search engine, and decided to check out titles with an 8 rating on the playstation. Sure enough, one of the most promising looking titles on the list was Psychic Detective. So, I decided to check out gamestop.com to see if any of my 3 local gamestop's had it, and sure enough, one of them did (!!!!!).

So, I called it up and asked if they had it. The guy on the phone didn't sound nerdy or real devoted to the the job, moreso like a crackhead kind of. Anyway, he tells me that they don't have it, but in a very hesitant voice (as in he extended the 'e' on we). I would just buy a copy on ebay, but the game's only $11 at gamestop whereas I'd easily pay $25 or more on ebay (not to mention it's rare to find a complete copy on ebay). So, if I were to go into the store and check to see if he never bothered looking for it, would there be anyway to expose the game without confrontation?

(This is at the Shelby Corners gamestop in Shelby Township, Michigan, if anyone was interested).[/QUOTE]

he may not be lying. the information on gamestop.com is a few days (up to a week) old. it is very possible that they had it a few days ago.

1) This belongs in the deal discussion thread *edit- looks like it was moved*

2) The website isn't updated that much to keep track of what store's carry.

3) Have you tried to call all the game stores around you to see if they have a copy?

Perhaps I should have noted that the guy was away from the phone for approximately 20 seconds, not enough time to actually look at the psx rack which is a good 10 seconds away from the desk alone. And on top of that, if there was some concievable way for him to glance and then come back, he was talking with another employee, though it didn't seem he mentioned this game. I think it's logical to assume he stashed it.

[quote name='Lord Draconus777']Perhaps I should have noted that the guy was away from the phone for approximately 20 seconds, not enough time to actually look at the psx rack which is a good 10 seconds away from the desk alone. And on top of that, if there was some concievable way for him to glance and then come back, he was talking with another employee, though it didn't seem he mentioned this game. I think it's logical to assume he stashed it.[/QUOTE]

OK. I am calling bs. Have you timed the walk to the psx rack? Did you time how long he was away from the phone? Did you take into accont his stride length versus yours? How about the relative health of each of you? Maybe he was running?

Give me a break. Quit whining.

[quote name='Lord Draconus777']Perhaps I should have noted that the guy was away from the phone for approximately 20 seconds, not enough time to actually look at the psx rack which is a good 10 seconds away from the desk alone. And on top of that, if there was some concievable way for him to glance and then come back, he was talking with another employee, though it didn't seem he mentioned this game. I think it's logical to assume he stashed it.[/QUOTE]

i might be wrong, but maybe the guy checked to see if it was in stock through his computer... :lol:

[quote name='doraemonkerpal']i might be wrong, but maybe the guy checked to see if it was in stock through his computer... :lol:[/QUOTE]

Last time I called Gamestop looking for a PSX game, they told me "We don't keep inventory on Playstation games, sorry".

I thought it was BS, so I called back that night (I had called at 10 am before, was waiting for a shift change" and asked for the same game... was told the same thing.

Not sure if it's a universally lazy Gamestop or maybe they were telling the truth. I didn't just drive up there because it was a good 20 mile drive, and I didn't want to drive just to see if it was gone.

I've noticed the website updates every Monday it seems... games I've bought throughout the week and weekend get taken off the availabilty Monday morning (bought MGS for Gameboy on Saturday, on Monday it went from 1-3 to 0)

you should've called back at a later time. i'm sure most people are zombiefied at their min wage jobs. don't be soo discouraged for just the first try. and put a little bass in your face also. don't sound like such a little kid.

just my opinion/advice when you don't get an answer you like, anywhere!

The system could be wrong. I got a store that has Valkyrie Profile in their system forever. Also if the store is close enough you should just go.

[quote name='62t']The system could be wrong. I got a store that has Valkyrie Profile in their system forever. Also if the store is close enough you should just go.[/QUOTE]

Yea sometimes I wonder about that... like in my case, all the games I bought this weekend were taken off the store locator by Monday. But one game that GS told me they didn't have, still stayed on there, and it's been on there for about two weeks now.

At this point, I'm just going to assume someone lost / stole it or it just fell between the cracks so to speak, and never got scanned out properly.

Ya, I am starting to doubt they have/had it, I mean, one of the rarest titles in America just so happens to be located at this gamestop? But on the other hand, it may have been stashed. Whatever, I'll just get a copy on ebay some time.

Gamestops really don't have their inventory in their computers, because they are complete shit. I worked for them once, so I know that both preceding claims are true.

[quote name='c']Gamestops really don't have their inventory in their computers, because they are complete shit. I worked for them once, so I know that both preceding claims are true.[/QUOTE]

Seriously the computers suck total ass. I work for them too but I'm just a lowly part-timer. I really doubt those shit ass computers keep inventory. EB upgraded their computers years and years ago while GS's computer system is still total shit.

You should be hating GameStop.com's shitty and unreliable inventory tracking system, not the store itself. Like everyone else said, just go there.

I'm not sure why so many believe that Gamestop.com's search is out of date. I have been using it for months and it has rarely been incorrect. Usually when an employee will say a game isn't in stock I'll go the store and it'll be there. The best thing to do is just go to the location where the game you are looking for is shown as in stock. Some GS employees do hoard games away, and in such a case it could be very difficult to aquire what you're looking for. Ask an employee if a particular game has been put away, you may get lucky.

the computers are updated every three days, and the damn things still run on DOS.

let me point out now, that we can buy out EB, take over half the industry, but we can't update our bloody computers past DOS.

they keep no inv...they just print stickers. all the inv is done by hand. chances are if it was said to be there on the website, it's either A, hidden or B, sold in the past few days.

now that I really think about it, I think the the psx stuff is updated like the n64 stuff is, it's only updated the day after theres a dbc for it. and that should be once every 14 days or so.

~b

updated because I spelt "half" as "have" for some reason.

~b

Let a Gamestop employee clear things up for you..

All of the Gamestop locations put their PS1 games out in a rack. More often than not, there will be 100+ games in that rack. If you call and ask for one game, it's really not worth the employees time to search through all of those games for one single game. The reason they put those games out in the rack is so that they don't have to keep track of them. We no longer do "gut checks" on PS1 games, so we don't know exactly what we have on hand. Also, our inventory is not 100% correct. I know this for a fact. There are two Gamestops in my area, the one I work for and one in the next town. The one in the next town didn't carry PS1 games, but they somehow had copies of Tales of Destiny, Suikoden, and more in stock via the online search system. Obviously, this is wrong. If you really want the game, go in and search for it. Chances are, they'll have the game in the rack. If not, I highly doubt anyone has "Pyschic Detectives" set aside.

It's funny how the system can be so messed up... it's kind of pointless having an online store tracker type deal if it dosen't work.

Been looking for a copy of Grandia Xtreme for awhile now... I've seen the system update itself three times, and the same 1-3 copy has still been at this one store, yet they don't have it. I've checked in person twice, even asked them to check the hold area because maybe it was put on hold and then forgotten about, but they wouldn't do it.

It's actually the first time the system has failed me... more often than not, it seems to work. If someone steals the game, and it dosen't get rung out, would that cause it to hang in the system indefinately?

I mean, the Metal Gear Solid for Gameboy Color I just bought YESTERDAY was already taken out of the system (my local store now reads 0) and they added the inventory to all the recently released games to the locator. Yet that copy of Grandia Xtreme is still there... got a feeling it's stashed, lost, or stolen.

It's funny though.. the first thing Gamestop employee's say when you mention the website are "that dosen't work, the website dosen't work at all" and I'll go in everytime and find the game in the store the website said they had. It seems to update itself often, it's just the employees are lazy.

Don't expect jack-sh*t when calling for stockchecks to a retail store. Once you realize this you'll be a happier person. You can raise sh*t on the phone in attempts to counter this, but it will usually lead nowhere. Head on in and check for yourself... if the guy is genuinely a lazy bastard, raise sh*t. Much more effective in person if the person really is slacking off.

[quote name='Aleryn']Don't expect jack-sh*t when calling for stockchecks to a retail store. Once you realize this you'll be a happier person. You can raise sh*t on the phone in attempts to counter this, but it will usually lead nowhere. Head on in and check for yourself... if the guy is genuinely a lazy bastard, raise sh*t. Much more effective in person if the person really is slacking off.[/QUOTE]

9 times out of 10 however I'll call, and the employee will be more than willing to check it out for me, and even put a game on hold when they find it.

It's that 1 time, like yesterday - "No, we don't have Metal Gear Solid for Gameboy Color" "Oh, you had one in yesterday, and your store tracker says there is one there" "I'm sorry, the store tracker is usually way off".

So I go in, found the game, it was right in the front of the GBC case, very easy to see. The employee sure felt like an ass that day - "I... didn't see it... I...uh... must of missed it... sorry".

I can't wait for the day I find out where this store is hiding that Grandia Xtreme.

Did you bother reading any of this? :whistle2:/

[quote name='KingofGames']Let a Gamestop employee clear things up for you..

All of the Gamestop locations put their PS1 games out in a rack. More often than not, there will be 100+ games in that rack. If you call and ask for one game, it's really not worth the employees time to search through all of those games for one single game. The reason they put those games out in the rack is so that they don't have to keep track of them. We no longer do "gut checks" on PS1 games, so we don't know exactly what we have on hand. Also, our inventory is not 100% correct. I know this for a fact. There are two Gamestops in my area, the one I work for and one in the next town. The one in the next town didn't carry PS1 games, but they somehow had copies of Tales of Destiny, Suikoden, and more in stock via the online search system. Obviously, this is wrong. If you really want the game, go in and search for it. Chances are, they'll have the game in the rack. If not, I highly doubt anyone has "Pyschic Detectives" set aside.[/QUOTE]

[quote name='gizmogc']Yawn. We get atleast 2 threads a week with the same 'complaint'. He must be keeping it in the 'secret stash drawer' :)[/QUOTE]

You should check out my "stash" I got saved up at work. Last time I checked I got 2 copies of Rez, 1 Gitaroo Man, and a sealed copy of Castlevania: SOTN.

All I need now is a raise to pay for it all. Until then, HANDS OFF!

But I second your yawn.

Seriously dont waste $11 on psychic detective, its such a shitty game and can be finished in about 15 minutes. I got it for free a few years ago and I wish I hadnt taken it, cause I'll never get those 20 minutes back.

[quote name='KingofGames']Did you bother reading any of this? :whistle2:/[/QUOTE]

I did, and it applies to PS One games, of which I mentioned none.

The Gameboy Color games are right next to the register in a pull out shelf. They are arranged face up, in alphabetical order... if I could go in and find the game in, literally, 10 seconds, I'm sure the employee could have done the same.

Hell, he would have had to walk 2 steps and actually done some work. It's the point that if you even bring up the store locator whatsoever, the employee immediately falls back on "Your wrong because the locator dosen't work" even though the game could be smack in their face (this time, it actually was).

I can see why they wouldn't look through the PS One games, since they just throw them all in a giant bin (at least at this store) and there's literally 200 games in there.

You're a GS employee... if a game gets stolen / lost, does it stay in the system forever, or do Gamestop's regularly do inventory checks to help keep their system up to date for current gen stuff? (lol, I doubt it, but it's worth asking).

[quote name='snotnose_colossal']Seriously dont waste $11 on psychic detective, its such a shitty game and can be finished in about 15 minutes. I got it for free a few years ago and I wish I hadnt taken it, cause I'll never get those 20 minutes back.[/QUOTE]

The PS1 version is censored :(

i've found the game locator to be around 80% accurate ( in my own experience ).

When i call the store, i don't just ask for the particular game; i flat out tell them what the Gamestop website displays as thier inventory and "Can you please double-check before i drive down there".

There have been times where the game is physically there, but it's defective or on hold for someone. It just seems when i bring up the website inventory, the employees are more likely to tell me what the status is of the game rather than just a "We don't have that one" response.

[quote name='vgamergirl']i've found the game locator to be around 80% accurate ( in my own experience ).

When i call the store, i don't just ask for the particular game; i flat out tell them what the Gamestop website displays as thier inventory and "Can you please double-check before i drive down there".

There have been times where the game is physically there, but it's defective or on hold for someone. It just seems when i bring up the website inventory, the employees are more likely to tell me what the status is of the game rather than just a "We don't have that one" response.[/QUOTE]

It's the opposite for me... as soon as I bring it up, I immediately get "The store locator dosen't work right and it's not reliable... we don't have it *click*". They don't even bother to look it up, as I get the speech right after store locator and they hang up as soon as they are done. Dosen't matter what system, dosen't matter what game - same response everytime.

I usually have to call and act like I don't know anything, and act very surprised when they find it. Damn, one time I got the speech (with the hang up), called about an hour later and mentioned the game without the locator, and they found it in about two minutes.

[quote name='Roufuss']I usually have to call and act like I don't know anything, and act very surprised when they find it. Damn, one time I got the speech (with the hang up), called about an hour later and mentioned the game without the locator, and they found it in about two minutes.[/QUOTE]
I do the same thing... acting all surprised and whatnot.... This is the future of video game retail, everyone. Let's all kill ourselves. Wait no! There's still Gamecrazy and Gamerush! .....So... Let's boycott Gamestop. I've already started to, kinda - I try to buy as many games as possible from places other than Gamestop, using it as a last resort. I encourage others to follow suit. Anyone else with me on that?

i've had bad experiences too, where they have only the case, but not the disc...which i call on them as total bs....cuase they aint gonna be selling a game like Valkyrie profile disc only without a guy going...hey! do you have the case/any cas for this thing?

[quote name='opportunity777']The PS1 version is censored :([/QUOTE]

yup get the 3do version instead it has some funny ass endings!

^^Actually, I only wanted to get the PSX version because of it's extreme rarity, but I'm sort of over this whole "rare games" thing, after the reality set in that I just spend $17 on a supposebly sealed Tail of the Sun, which I'll never play.

Gamestop sucks, EB sucks, Gamecrazy sucks, and any retail store that sells video games sucks. okay so now we all know, so there is no need to post about them anymore.

[quote name='Roufuss']I did, and it applies to PS One games, of which I mentioned none.

The Gameboy Color games are right next to the register in a pull out shelf. They are arranged face up, in alphabetical order... if I could go in and find the game in, literally, 10 seconds, I'm sure the employee could have done the same.

Hell, he would have had to walk 2 steps and actually done some work. It's the point that if you even bring up the store locator whatsoever, the employee immediately falls back on "Your wrong because the locator dosen't work" even though the game could be smack in their face (this time, it actually was).

I can see why they wouldn't look through the PS One games, since they just throw them all in a giant bin (at least at this store) and there's literally 200 games in there.

You're a GS employee... if a game gets stolen / lost, does it stay in the system forever, or do Gamestop's regularly do inventory checks to help keep their system up to date for current gen stuff? (lol, I doubt it, but it's worth asking).[/QUOTE]

You have a lot to learn, my friend. :whistle2:D The amount of Gameboy/Gameboy Color carts we have instock is insane. We've got stashes of basically anything pre-PS2. More than likely, your store has a drawer with a ton of cart only GB/GBC games. As for inventory checks, we do indepth checks every couple of months, it seems. I think, more than anything, the online system has it's flaws from transfers gone awry or screwed up trade-ins (i.e. taking a game in under the wrong name).

[quote name='KingofGames']You have a lot to learn, my friend. :whistle2:D The amount of Gameboy/Gameboy Color carts we have instock is insane. We've got stashes of basically anything pre-PS2. More than likely, your store has a drawer with a ton of cart only GB/GBC games. As for inventory checks, we do indepth checks every couple of months, it seems. I think, more than anything, the online system has it's flaws from transfers gone awry or screwed up trade-ins (i.e. taking a game in under the wrong name).[/QUOTE]

That would make sense about the Grandia Xtreme that never seems to leave.

But the GBC thing... we must agree to disagree. Every GBC game they have is in plain sight, I know one of the upper employees there who redesigned it and everything they've got is face up in alphabetical order since it was just re-done about two days ago. It was more or less the employee was too lazy to take two steps and look at the case... espically since I said "it was on the store locator and I just saw it a day or so ago" but all he heard was store locator and shot me down.

I had even asked about other GBC carts when I was in a few days ago talking with my friend who works there (wanted a Dragon Warrior 1 / 2) and he had told me everything he's got is finally out front and organized.

This particular Gamestop dosen't really have anything pre ps2... all I can think of is Ps One, since they stopped accepting older trade in's and got rid of a ton of their stock.

Seems to be this way for every Gamestop in the Tampa Bay area.

If that's all the GBC games they've got, then that's certainly a lazy worker. We carry PS1, N64, GB, GBC, and GBA games. We've got "stashes" for all of those games because there simply isn't enough space for all of them. Well, actually, there is no stash for PS1 games, but if we didn't have a huge rack designated for all of them, we certainly would.

bread's done
Back