Gamestop manager tried to prevent me from buying games because of "inventory"

daveymark

CAGiversary!
I was in the process of buying about 30 used games yesterday. I had to check the condition of each game because sometimes there's an interesting combination of boogers/smegma/fecal crust/cheeto dust on the discs. If there was a nasty copy, I had the clerk grab another copy for me to check. the whole process, from checking the games to paying for them, was taking a good 30 minutes, because I orginally started with about 75 games.

The manager was peeking out at me from the back area, and he looked frustrated/irritated. He had a furrowed brow and he'd sigh whenever he saw me at the counter.

I had about 5 games left to inspect, when the manager comes up to me, and says "Excuse me, but we're about to close, and I have inventory to do. I wouldn't normally ask this, but that's quite a bit of games you are looking at buying, maybe you can come back another time"

I said "I have 5 games left, and then I'm done"

and he said "well, that's fine I guess, but we really need to get to work on our inventory"

Kind of idiotic when I was purchasing games that they would never otherwise sell.

Was he wrong to say that? Is this par for the course for gamestop/EB managers?

that is kind of dumb..i mean, you're buying the games, and it's good for the store (him too)..maybe he's just too lazy to update the current stock..i mean..you did buy alot of games ;) hehe

It wasn't the real manager. It was just some other employee who had somewhere to be, and since I'm assuming that they don't sell on commission, he could care less how many games you buy as long as it's wrapped up by closing time.

Well, what time were you there?

But really, 30-75 games is a lot. I don't think I've even bought 30 games in a month.

WOW. You think the manager would be happy about you buying all those used games. That's a HUGE proft margin for the store and their numbers would go up dramatically. The manager is a huge dumbass.

I agree with camoor that he might not have been the manager.

[quote name='Dead of Knight']I agree with camoor that he might not have been the manager.[/QUOTE]

I have to agree, it was a wageslave, or perhaps, at best, an "assistant manager."

Think about it in terms of a restaurant. I've worked in dozens of places in my life; my kitchen was shut down at ten until close. Sure, I could still make something, but it would be mostly microwaved, poorly put together (but I don't drop things on the floor or fuck with food - I'd just make it shitty instead).

Now, if a party of ten walked in just before closing, without fail, I would have the servers tell them the kitchen closed early as a result of it being a 'slow night.'

Know why? Because (1) I'm not the owner, so I don't derive any pleasure from serving your asses; at best, the extra $12 I'd get for working an additional hour, which would involve recleaning everything I already did, (2) you don't deserve good service because of your complete self-centeredness, as evidenced by you wanting to buy 75 games from a store right before close, and (3) because I run the show; you're not changing things for me, and I'm gonna go get my drink on. No prawns for you tonight, buddy. Or, in this case, 75 games.

I'd have not served you, either. I would have made up a story about having to have the doors locked at 9PM precisely for security, so all transactions must be completed by then. I suspect that the "manager" will develop better stories and strategies as they age.

Your inconsideration for anyone around you (buying 30 games right before close? you gotta be fucking kidding me!) might have worked in the United States of the 1950's, but not when you pay kids next to nothing to have no interest in serving you.

I would have done the same thing. I would be pissed at someone who came in that close to closing time, and had me go through 75 games by hand just so he could not buy 40 of them.

Yeah, I agree with the argument about it being close to closing time, but still, that's a HUGE gain in profits for the store for the day. Any manager would've gladly let him buy his games.

The fact that he only had five games left makes the "manager" an idiot. If he had made the comment when the 75 games were first brought to the register (or the first time he saw them), it would be a little more understandable.

But yeah, I make it a point to do any trades or remotely large purchases at least an hour before closing.

[quote name='mykevermin']I have to agree, it was a wageslave, or perhaps, at best, an "assistant manager."

Think about it in terms of a restaurant. I've worked in dozens of places in my life; my kitchen was shut down at ten until close. Sure, I could still make something, but it would be mostly microwaved, poorly put together (but I don't drop things on the floor or fuck with food - I'd just make it shitty instead).

Now, if a party of ten walked in just before closing, without fail, I would have the servers tell them the kitchen closed early as a result of it being a 'slow night.'

Know why? Because (1) I'm not the owner, so I don't derive any pleasure from serving your asses; at best, the extra $12 I'd get for working an additional hour, which would involve recleaning everything I already did, (2) you don't deserve good service because of your complete self-centeredness, as evidenced by you wanting to buy 75 games from a store right before close, and (3) because I run the show; you're not changing things for me, and I'm gonna go get my drink on. No prawns for you tonight, buddy. Or, in this case, 75 games.

I'd have not served you, either. I would have made up a story about having to have the doors locked at 9PM precisely for security, so all transactions must be completed by then. I suspect that the "manager" will develop better stories and strategies as they age.

Your inconsideration for anyone around you (buying 30 games right before close? you gotta be fucking kidding me!) might have worked in the United States of the 1950's, but not when you pay kids next to nothing to have no interest in serving you.[/quote]

This is pretty much word for word what I was gonna say after I read the OP.

I had about 5 games left to inspect, when the manager comes up to me, and says "Excuse me, but we're about to close..."
I don't think the OP was inconsiderate at all. It appears to me the OP arrived a good 40 minutes before closing time. And if they are "about to close," I would assume that they would be closing in 2 minutes, which is more than enough time to check the rest of the 5 games.

The restaurant analogy doesn't apply here, totally different business and circumstance. Coming 10 minutes before a restaurant is fucked up because not only do you have to spend half an hour preparing the food, you have to wait an hour for them to eat (probably more because a party of 10 will talk ALOT), then you have to spend an hour re-cleaning everything, etc.

In the OP's scenario, surely checking the final 5 games and ringing up all 30 wouldn't take more than 10 minutes. And there was nothing stopping the "manager" of doing his inventory while the associate rang up the OP. My bet would be the guy thought he was trading in 30 games. Then the restaurant analogy would be appropriate because that would cause a massive delay.

I can understand it being an inconvience to the manager keeping the store open longer since he wants to get his inventory done. Nobody really wants to stay longer at their job than they have to, especially if they're not getting paid much.

But, if the guy walks in and is going to purchase a bunch a used games for 5 times (or more) the price that Gamestop paid for them, you should stay open an extra 10 minutes.

Considering I have walked in 10 minutes before closing and off the bat am told it is close to closing time instead of being asked if I had trades... I am sure the employees just wanted to get out of there.

[quote name='eau']The OP should have waited a day to buy those used games and take advantage of the B2G1 deal...

http://www.cheapassgamer.com/forums/showthread.php?t=112056

I wish the GS manager/employee was an ass enough that the OP didn't buy the games yesterday ;)[/QUOTE]

Nobody buys 30-75 games to do anything but resell them. He was probably trying to get a headstart on B2G1 buy picking all the games that would disappear off the shelves first, and stop in today and get a price adjustment.

That is, if GS does such things. I dunno.

[quote name='Walt Jay']I can understand it being an inconvience to the manager keeping the store open longer since he wants to get his inventory done. Nobody really wants to stay longer at their job than they have to, especially if they're not getting paid much.

But, if the guy walks in and is going to purchase a bunch a used games for 5 times (or more) the price that Gamestop paid for them, you should stay open an extra 10 minutes.[/quote]
Even if you got paid a lot, you still wouldn't want to stay longer than you have to. After working all day, the last thing you would want to do is stay there longer.

[quote name='VGI-Shinobi']Even if you got paid a lot, you still wouldn't want to stay longer than you have to. After working all day, the last thing you would want to do is stay there longer.[/quote]Winner.

Don't forget the important thing. The games the OP buys are games that the "manager" then does not have to inventory. I agree that waiting to say something until there's only 5 left to do is stupid. If he had a problem, he should have something right away.

[quote name='daveymark']I had about 5 games left to inspect, when the manager comes up to me, and says "Excuse me, but we're about to close, and I have inventory to do. I wouldn't normally ask this, but that's quite a bit of games you are looking at buying, maybe you can come back another time"

and he said "well, that's fine I guess, but we really need to get to work on our inventory"
[/QUOTE]
I just sounds to me like he was worried you were going to look at a bunch of other games or something. It may not have been obvious that you were so close to being done. Not really that big of a deal. He didn't refuse to sell them to you.

[quote name='Radioactive_Man']I'm sure you are leaving stuff out of the conversation. Just to make yourself look better on the internet.[/quote] ding ding!

[quote name='daveymark']I was in the process of buying about 30 used games yesterday. I had the clerk check the condition of each game because sometimes there's an interesting combination of boogers/smegma/fecal crust/cheeto dust on the discs. this was taking a good 30 minutes, because I orginally started with about 75 games. [/quote]
You know it's one thing when inspectimagating the condition of one or two games, but to have to individually check 75 seperate games and not counting the multiples if one of the original inspected items doesn't meet your high standards of course they're going to boot you out. I start trying to broom people out of any store I work at if it's 30 minutes to closing time, as I would like to get the hell out of Dodge too. We're not paid commission, the hell do I care how many you buy at once?

Having to send the poor little gameclerk back and forth to fetch new disks from the drawer for every couple of games, that becomes a pain in the ass after awhile especially in the evening when they have better stuff to do. Especially if it's inventory, they probably could've jump started it, but waiting for you to finish your "white glove" test on 75 titles made their night longer than it should've been. Retail sucks.

I just find this hard to believe. According to the manager who interviewed me for a job at Gamestop, the purpose of the job is to sell. To sell subscriptions, preorders, or anything.

So basically, either the worker was an asshat or the topic creator is lieing.

did the manager try to touch you in any way? like your neck, or buttocks? because if they did, that's sexual harassment. even blowing you a kiss or giving you a sexy wink can be grounds for an investigation.

that doesn't have anything to do with what you posted, but that doesn't mean it's not true.

[quote name='Radioactive_Man']I'm sure you are leaving stuff out of the conversation. Just to make yourself look better on the internet.[/quote]

:applause: :lol:

[quote name='allyourblood']did the manager try to touch you in any way? like your neck, or buttocks? because if they did, that's sexual harassment. even blowing you a kiss or giving you a sexy wink can be grounds for an investigation.

that doesn't have anything to do with what you posted, but that doesn't mean it's not true.[/quote]
Best. Reply. Ever. :rofl:

Wow. Customer service truly is dead, I guess.

If he came in at two minutes to close and asked to do that, yes, that's wrong. If he came in an hour before, and they were slow, no problem.
If it was a *real* manager, he might have even sent the counter droid to do his closing stuff and finished off the order. Very few managers nowadays, however, know how to do the job they're supervising, much less will they stoop to doing it.

The only approach I can see that makes sense is making use of a 'no sales to resellers' clause, since very few regular consumers buy 75 games at once.

[quote name='dtcarson']The only approach I can see that makes sense is making use of a 'no sales to resellers' clause, since very few regular consumers buy 75 games at once.[/quote]

I thought I was the only one that found that strange. Who the fuck walks into a GS and "just wants to buy 75 games"?

[quote name='tangytangerine']I thought I was the only one that found that strange. Who the fuck walks into a GS and "just wants to buy 75 games"?[/quote]

the best customer EVER, that's who! personally, i buy dozens of games at a time, throw away the case & manual, and then return the bare discs for a refund days later. it's what i like to call... "irritating".

Indeed. I know when I used to work at the post office (and the few times I actually worked the window until closing time) I hated nothing more than the people who ran in the door with 10 packages 1 minute before we close. Though on the other hand it was very enjoyable when they tried to get in 1 minute after I'd locked the front door.

[quote name='VGI-Shinobi']Even if you got paid a lot, you still wouldn't want to stay longer than you have to. After working all day, the last thing you would want to do is stay there longer.[/QUOTE]

[quote name='crowbb']Indeed. I know when I used to work at the post office (and the few times I actually worked the window until closing time) I hated nothing more than the people who ran in the door with 10 packages 1 minute before we close. Though on the other hand it was very enjoyable when they tried to get in 1 minute after I'd locked the front door.[/quote]

but at the same time, don't tell me you didn't enjoy shipping out that last minute gift in the nick of time for a desperate and grateful customer, and "coming to the rescue". i always liked those types of situations.

[quote name='Radioactive_Man']I'm sure you are leaving stuff out of the conversation. Just to make yourself look better on the internet.[/QUOTE]

Don't they all? ;)

he probably was doing inventory and wanted to get out asap. the last time i did inventory, i was there until 1 AM and it didn't help that customers kept pouring in even after closing time (stupid manager at that store doesn't lock the doors if there are still customers inside so people just kept going in). at certain stores, if the manager is lazy, he'll even close the store early so everyone can get out by 10 PM for inventory.

The real question is, why are they inspecting the used games right before they sell them to you? Shouldn't this be done at time of trade in?

I threw this in Google's "how it really went down" Translator.

[quote name='daveymark']I was in the process getting high and spending cash while buying about 30 used games yesterday 10 mintues before close. I had the clerk check the condition of each game because sometimes I just like to fuck with people before the store closes. This was taking a good 30 minutes, because I originally started with about 75 games.

The manager was peeking out at me from the back area, and he looked frustrated/irritated. He had a furrowed brow and he'd sigh whenever he saw me at the counter asking about why I can't reserve a PS3 for the 10th time.

I had about 5 games left to inspect, when I ask to cancel 10 of my reserves to put toward the purchase of my game stack when the manager comes up to me, and says "Excuse me, but we're about to close, and I have inventory to do. I wouldn't normally ask this, but that's quite a bit of games you are looking at buying, maybe you can come back another time"

I said "I just want to make sure Pokemon red has all 150 pokemon captured on it before I buy it cause I gots to catch em all"

Kind of idiotic when I was purchasing games with bank bags full of pennies that they would never otherwise sell.

Was he wrong to say that? Is this par for the course for gamestop/EB managers?[/QUOTE]

[quote name='allyourblood']but at the same time, don't tell me you didn't enjoy helping a desperate and grateful customer, and "coming to the rescue". i always liked those types of situations.[/quote]
I don't think you've ever worked at retail/customer service.

DO YOU UNDERSTAND THE CONCEPT OF BUSINESS HOURS?

slab2.jpg

[quote name='daveymark']I was in the process of buying about 30 used games yesterday. I had the clerk check the condition of each game because sometimes there's an interesting combination of boogers/smegma/fecal crust/cheeto dust on the discs. this was taking a good 30 minutes, because I orginally started with about 75 games.

The manager was peeking out at me from the back area, and he looked frustrated/irritated. He had a furrowed brow and he'd sigh whenever he saw me at the counter.

I had about 5 games left to inspect, when the manager comes up to me, and says "Excuse me, but we're about to close, and I have inventory to do. I wouldn't normally ask this, but that's quite a bit of games you are looking at buying, maybe you can come back another time"

Kind of idiotic when I was purchasing games that they would never otherwise sell.

Was he wrong to say that? Is this par for the course for gamestop/EB managers?[/QUOTE]

As others have said, you are leaving out something here. Most likely you were there at the very last minute, why else would the manager mention that they need to work on inventory.

As a gamer, I like having my games as mint as possible, however, having the grunt check every last disc when you have 75 to burn through is damn rude. As a person who works at a Gamestop, I would get pretty pissed if some ass got really damn picky about 75 games.

I get annoyed at the people who expect used games to be in flawless condition, one tiny scratch and they have a hissy fit. Expecting someone to make sure every disc is flawless for you is unreasonable when you have 75 games.

I would have just asked you to have a nice day.

[quote name='allyourblood']but at the same time, don't tell me you didn't enjoy shipping out that last minute gift in the nick of time for a desperate and grateful customer, and "coming to the rescue". i always liked those types of situations.[/QUOTE]

Honestly, fuck that noise. If you have been waiting in line and have been in the store a decent time before closing, then sure, I'll help. Otherwise if you are some asshat running in at the very last minute expecting us to let you browse around, take your sweet time and then possibly buy something, forget it. I've had people stay in 10 minutes after closing (mind you they had 30 minutes to decide to get something) telling me that they know what they want, and then not get anything.

It's what sends you from normal to homicidal in an instant.

LOL I've worked retail before, as well as a restaurant(ok ok, it was an Arby's) and the thing that baffled me most was, they ALWAYS sent the oldest, slowest employee we had to lock the flippin doors.

I mean, literally, by the time the one lady got to the door at Arby's, 5 people had walked in.

I made sure they each got their daily quotient of salt(or was it yearly?) with their fries that night.

Other times, I've worked a grunt job in retail, like carryout guy for layaway and groaned as the big strong customer watched me lug a 75 lb box with parts for a pc desk up into their trunk, only giving me a hand to push it in the last 2 inches or so, with not so much as a thank you.

I learned after a while to need a 'bathroom break' when they said they needed someone(meaning me) to do carryout for someone.

However, I am a bit like the OP, in that I like my games MINT and complete, no matter how many copies I have to sift through.

Sure, I usually only buy 2-4 games at a time anymore and mostly its just to flip to FYE or other stores for trade, but that's why I want them MINT also, so I don't get told 'this is too scratched up to take'.

Mind you, 75ish games is an INSANE amount to buy in one fell swoop and it is rather ludicrious(unless the op got there 2 hours before close to inspect the games) to have the clerks sift through ALL of them.

[quote name='Kuros']Honestly, fuck that noise. If you have been waiting in line and have been in the store a decent time before closing, then sure, I'll help. Otherwise if you are some asshat running in at the very last minute expecting us to let you browse around, take your sweet time and then possibly buy something, forget it. I've had people stay in 10 minutes after closing (mind you they had 30 minutes to decide to get something) telling me that they know what they want, and then not get anything.

It's what sends you from normal to homicidal in an instant.[/quote]

Indeed, that's what I always did if I was on for closing. If you're a regular customer or you're in a jam and you only need 60 seconds to grab something and pay at the end of the night or right before a holiday I'll take care of you myself while everyone else goes about cleaning up and closing out.

But if you're there before closing, it's already 5 after and you still don't know what you're looking for and don't have anything in hand or in mind I'll grab a few suggested items very quickly, write down your name and pop it behind the counter so you can come back at some point tomorrow or the day after. That's it.

I love berating customers who come so far late after closing it isn't even funny. I'm sorry, but 9:30 is the closing time, not 9:45 or "because you're still walking around inside the mall". It always leads to some fun moments:

"You know what, you just lost a sale!!"
"I can't lose something I didn't have in the first place, sir."

"I'm never shopping here again!"
"Ma'am, you were in here once before seven months ago and you said the same thing. We'll be having a sale on empty promises tomorrow, please come back then."

"You just ruined Mother's Day!!"
"Well, with these newfound powers perhaps I can steal Christmas as well and really show that Grinch a thing or two."

75 games = reseller.
Retail = sucks
Helping someone that's very grateful = satisfying
Helping everyone else = sucks

Take it from someone who's worked in almost every retail environment possible. /thread

bread's done
Back