GameStop: New 8GB Wii U (White) $172.97

Online only in my area. Shipping and sales tax kills the deal. :whistle2:

Would want one, considering how slow I am to upgrade. But I could save the $173 toward the NX.

Last edited by a moderator:
I bit. My deluxe broke late last year, so I ended up selling it for parts and the gamepad. Don't care what color, and not going to pay another $130 (including tax) for 32gb of storage when I have an external hdd for the system. Thanks!

They're only making 800k more Wii Us this year so now is the time to grab one. It will probably Sega Saturn levels hard to find a unit years from now or close to that with only 12M units in the wild. And I doubt NX plays Wii U games due to it likely dropping PowerPC

I'd grab it if you still want one. Nintendo stopped production so they're probably not going to discount it at this point. They'll just let it run out of stock at the $300 point and not replace it.

They're only making 800k more Wii Us this year so now is the time to grab one. It will probably Sega Saturn levels hard to find a unit years from now or close to that with only 12M units in the wild. And I doubt NX plays Wii U games due to it likely dropping PowerPC
the biggest problem in the future will be getting a working pad if these become rare.

its still damn expensive to get a system when the price should have dropped a year ago, but needing the pad for some games along with not being able to BUY a separate pad at places like GS when you also need the pad to even use the system in general...

this whole this is just bananas

do you guys think they will clearance it further in a few months? or maybe have new bundles for black friday? Any proof of only 800k consoles made this year? Is that US or worldwide?

Like I said, Nintendo is unlikely to discount it as they've stopped production. It makes more sense to just stop production and let stock run out at the price gouged $300 price than to discount it.  Ironically you may have seen a price cut if the Wii U had done a little better, well enough for Nintendo to try to salvage it. But they've already given up on the system. Discounting it now would only diminish the money they make on what few units they're still moving.  Though there is always the possibility that Gamestop and others will do their own clearance price cut in a year when they take back the floor space.  Floor space is valuable when you're a small store.

I tried to find articles actually verifying that Nintendo said production will stop soon, or there is only 800k left, but I couldn't find any. Not saying they don't exist, I'd love to read about it. I'm surprised they would stop production without a price cut, especially if the NX isn't backward compatible. They don't make the console to make money necessarily, they make the games to make money, and the (desired) games are mostly all above $30 used.

Still a great deal on a Wii U, but I'm having a hard time justifying it since I've already beaten about half the really great first party titles. I really really really want Super Mario Maker though, darn it.

Like I said, Nintendo is unlikely to discount it as they've stopped production. It makes more sense to just stop production and let stock run out at the price gouged $300 price than to discount it. Ironically you may have seen a price cut if the Wii U had done a little better, well enough for Nintendo to try to salvage it. But they've already given up on the system. Discounting it now would only diminish the money they make on what few units they're still moving. Though there is always the possibility that Gamestop and others will do their own clearance price cut in a year when they take back the floor space. Floor space is valuable when you're a small store.
problem is that everyone who really wanted a U already has one. others are waiting for discounts, BF or friends who get bored and stop using their U's and sell them the system and games for cheaper than retail. my friend is already bored with his U and he only had it for less than a year. got all the mario and 1st party titles, other stuff that was "killer app" and just doesn't care for it anymore.

now, if i didn't have mine, i'd buy his stuff because he only wants $300 for everything, which is a steal and beats paying retail. they might as well do it, i don't see any other huge reasons to own the system before the NX hits. FExSMT is finally out, zelda is hitting NX, all the core nintendo titles hit in the last 3 years.

the biggest problem in the future will be getting a working pad if these become rare.
its still damn expensive to get a system when the price should have dropped a year ago, but needing the pad for some games along with not being able to BUY a separate pad at places like GS when you also need the pad to even use the system in general...

this whole this is just bananas
That's a good point. No other console, past or present, has a controller that is so expensive, with so much that can go wrong with it (particularly the screen), and can't be bought separately. And that same controller is required for many games, so you can't just get by with an alternate like the Pro Controller. Overall, it's a very poorly designed console that probably won't have a solid future in terms of working hardware down the road.

At this point, it really should have been discounted to $99 or less, considering the weak technology and missing features in the console. And the library of games is pretty thin as well, with entire genres of games simply missing.

The Wii U is a good companion console to get if you already have an Xbone or PS4.  Games like Bayonetta 2 are not to be missed.

Otherwise, if you can only afford one you're probably better off with a PS4 (or if you're REALLY strapped, an Xbone)

Three times?! Holy crap. How does it keep breaking down? Going to have to put on the kid gloves with mine here pretty quick...
Yeah, three times?? Yikes :( I had my Wii U from launch in 2012 to march of this year, and the only issue I had with my gamepad was syncing issues every now and then. I didn't think they were quite that bad.

Thanks, bought just for an extra gamepad. Judging by the current ebay prices for the console only, definitely worth it.

I've been looking for a backup system for a while.  If this is actually new (damn you gamestop) then it looks like a good price.  Any Wii U outside of the current Mario Kart bundle is at scalper prices (actually Mario Maker bundle is normal too).  I will definitely pick up another one this holiday.  I'm sure there will be some kind of deal with the final stock.

I've been looking for a backup system for a while. If this is actually new (damn you gamestop) then it looks like a good price. Any Wii U outside of the current Mario Kart bundle is at scalper prices (actually Mario Maker bundle is normal too). I will definitely pick up another one this holiday. I'm sure there will be some kind of deal with the final stock.
Quickly searched ebay for this and only saw 1 listing new for over 400 bucks lol. Thats absurd but it is certainly very rare to find anyone selling just the game pad and been that way for quite awhile. When u do, it goes for 130 to 150 bucks. If u love your wiiu i think u have to at least consider this

I found a Zelda game pad on CL with some nunchuks and wiimotes for $60 a while back. Not in perfect condition, but definitely good enough for a backup. Have only used it to pair with the console to test but otherwise it just sits in a drawer.

I bought one of the Skylanders bundles a year ago when GS was getting rid of them. I regret the decision, I should have just bought a regular model. Adding an external drive was easy but it just added more wires to my console cabinet. At least I can play those Nintendo exclusives when I have the time.

tumblr_o9pgkvUhyF1rr6e7xo1_400.png

Rumored leaked description supposedly of basic concept of the NX. The spreadsheet seen had what might be the official name of Nintendo Aki but personally this sounds all too Japanese to me (then again Wii does too). Most surprising thing here is the small touch screen on front of the actual console which was described as one of it's features being linked to amiibo functionality & scanning. When amiibo is placed above the screen there's supposedly some sort of amiibo animation & it's stored into the system until the game is turned off. Also the retro look (sort of resembles what we'd get if a NES and Wii U had a child) I find interesting & a built in 256 gig flash memory sounds about right for nintendo to keep the price down. At any rate I'm pretty excited for the NX regardless & especially like the rumor that it might use game cards instead of disc but this clearly shows a disc slot as well. Why both? backward compatibility or options for crossplay with handhelds would be my best guess.

I bought one of the Skylanders bundles a year ago when GS was getting rid of them. I regret the decision, I should have just bought a regular model. Adding an external drive was easy but it just added more wires to my console cabinet. At least I can play those Nintendo exclusives when I have the time.
You can't add a memory card to the Wii U like you can with a 3DS? Lame if so.

You can't add a memory card to the Wii U like you can with a 3DS? Lame if so.
I actually had a 32 gig usb thumb drive plugged into my 32gb Wii U for a while with no issues but nintendo recommends a hdd for durability sake I guess but I would not care a bit to use a cheap usb drive I see no issues and worse come to worse if it goes bad just redownload the stuff.

tumblr_o9pgkvUhyF1rr6e7xo1_400.png

Rumored leaked description supposedly of basic concept of the NX. The spreadsheet seen had what might be the official name of Nintendo Aki but personally this sounds all too Japanese to me (then again Wii does too). Most surprising thing here is the small touch screen on front of the actual console which was described as one of it's features being linked to amiibo functionality & scanning. When amiibo is placed above the screen there's supposedly some sort of amiibo animation & it's stored into the system until the game is turned off. Also the retro look (sort of resembles what we'd get if a NES and Wii U had a child) I find interesting & a built in 256 gig flash memory sounds about right for nintendo to keep the price down. At any rate I'm pretty excited for the NX regardless & especially like the rumor that it might use game cards instead of disc but this clearly shows a disc slot as well. Why both? backward compatibility or options for crossplay with handhelds would be my best guess.
One thing Nintendo has done right is backwards compatibility. should help bolster wii u software sales and gives buyers a sizeable launch library considering most never got a wii u.

Walmart might go for it and price match the Mario Kart bundle considering their employees are practically dead on the inside and have reached a point where they no longer care any more. Target reps in contrast are far more discerning and you'd be wasting your time. Otherwise, I don't think Skylander bundles exist out in the wild at this point. Nothing you could price match directly is likely to be in stock.

I have had success with price matching later at night. When I was at target I also price adjusted my mario kart ds purchase(originally 80$ on sale) to an obscure gamestop listing for a plain 2ds for 54$ that is out in the wild at some store. I only brought my receipt in with me. they had to do a return and rebuy. so on that trip I was able to go from 100$ 2ds to a 54$ 2ds.

aren't the gamepads linked with the system they are purchased with or something?

i would think not, considering all the wii u on ebay WITHOUT gamepads (not sure they should be sold without, since i feel like it shouldn't be, as its more required than other console)

the only bundles i see are the mario maker or kart 8 bundles. i've seen a few mario wii u bundles, but no standard black, white or skylanders in years.

Better times and I would buy one of these to put up and keep sealed (space issue too) because nintendo consoles always rise in value sealed & I have several older ones sealed in a closet. The wii u, particularly the white version, is going to be much rarer to find sealed because it's numbers are far less than that of the gamecube (like half as many sold) & I honestly think it's one of the most underrated gaming systems to ever be released.

I actually had a 32 gig usb thumb drive plugged into my 32gb Wii U for a while with no issues but nintendo recommends a hdd for durability sake I guess but I would not care a bit to use a cheap usb drive I see no issues and worse come to worse if it goes bad just redownload the stuff.
I've been using a 32 gb flash drive on mine for the past couple years, no issues at all. I even had the 10 GB of data packs for Xenoblade X loaded onto the flash drive and played that game alone for over 100 hours with constant streaming of data.

Better times and I would buy one of these to put up and keep sealed (space issue too) because nintendo consoles always rise in value sealed & I have several older ones sealed in a closet. The wii u, particularly the white version, is going to be much rarer to find sealed because it's numbers are far less than that of the gamecube (like half as many sold) & I honestly think it's one of the most underrated gaming systems to ever be released.
Unfortunately, due to the high cost of the gamepad, and lack of easy availability of replacements, the Wii U is going to have a pretty poor longer term system life (in a gamers own collection). Once the gamepad fails (and there are a lot of things in it that can fail), the system will be unusable. This, combined with the poor specs and missing features, make the console one of the worst in the last decade (or more). Not a very well designed or thought out system at all.

Unfortunately, due to the high cost of the gamepad, and lack of easy availability of replacements, the Wii U is going to have a pretty poor longer term system life (in a gamers own collection). Once the gamepad fails (and there are a lot of things in it that can fail), the system will be unusable. This, combined with the poor specs and missing features, make the console one of the worst in the last decade (or more). Not a very well designed or thought out system at all.
I see what you are saying but from a collectors standpoint I think people will want to buy these sealed to collect because it's the worse selling console nintendo has ever offered (unless you count the virtual boy not sure what to classify it as). I'm sure nintendo will thrive again next generation as it did with wii it was just the wii U was a marketing disaster & lack on online voice chat really destroyed it because those options were available on the 360 and PS3 & the timing could not have been worse many waited on PS4 and XB1. Nintendo players will want to play the jewels that they missed out on by not having a Wii U & it will be a hot item but low numbers out there compared to demand. This happens with all nintendo consoles sooner or later.

Wii u prices for systems and games will skyrocket in the secondary market once the no comes out and stores get rid of old stock.

bread's done
Back