Gamestop Nightmare.....Call Corporate??

TheFreshPrince

CAGiversary!
Feedback
61 (100%)
Major problems today.....

Went in to trade a couple Harvest Moon DS, and the employees practically accused me of stealing and told me to get out of their store. I went to another Gamestop, and was again told to leave, but this time I asked to see this supposed 'Multiple Item Policy'.....they couldn't produce it. I asked them to call their District Manager, and while the guy was calling, he interrogated me on where I got Harvest Moon, why, how much, etc...

The district manager told him to go ahead and accept the trade, but this Gamestop didn't have the used games I wanted.

I basically spent 2 hour driving, 2 stores, accused of stealing twice....and didn't get the games I wanted (when the first store had what I wanted!!). Do you think this warrants a call to corporate? Think there is anything they could do about it?
Thanks,
FreshPrince

[quote name='TheFreshPrince']Major problems today.....

Went in to trade a couple Harvest Moon DS, and the employees practically accused me of stealing and told me to get out of their store. I went to another Gamestop, and was again told to leave, but this time I asked to see this supposed 'Multiple Item Policy'.....they couldn't produce it. I asked them to call their District Manager, and while the guy was calling, he interrogated me on where I got Harvest Moon, why, how much, etc...

The district manager told him to go ahead and accept the trade, but this Gamestop didn't have the used games I wanted.

I basically spent 2 hour driving, 2 stores, accused of stealing twice....and didn't get the games I wanted (when the first store had what I wanted!!). Do you think this warrants a call to corporate? Think there is anything they could do about it?
Thanks,
FreshPrince[/QUOTE]

What a bunch of douchenozzles. You might as well call corporate, at the very least you can find out if the policy is legit or at least advised.

The policy is legit. It's weird when people have multiple copy's of games. Why would they if they are not stolen (esp. more than too). I can see where they are coming from.

Were you actually told to leave the store or were you just told that they wouldn't accept your trades? There's a HUGE difference. The one-a-day policy is real. The kick you out of the store for no reason policy is news to me and probably illegal.

GS has the policy, I am not saying that they handled the situation as well as they could of. But they can only take 1 copy of each product per person per day (w/ the exception of accessories, as most people own multiple controllers/memory cards). I can say, not neccassarily in your istance, but at my location, everyone that has tried to trade in multiple copies of the same game (there has been once or twice a parent traded in two copies of like madden because they had two sons), but the person inquestion has been suspected by various retailers (not just our company) for stealing product. Now we are supposed to take in one copy and explain that we are only allowed one per (as discribed above), and proceed with the transaction. Any store that buys product off of consumers (i.e. GS, hastings, pawnshops) can lose their liscense if the local police believe that they are not doing there part to prevent uneccassary transactions with stolen merchandise. Believe me, it does not take long for the word to get out that a peticular place will take anything in.

um...

well being honest i would have thought u may have stolen the games but i would not say that but point out the one per day limit

they had no reason to trust u and having 4 copies of teh same game does seem wierd

what ever i would just drop it. u were just being a CAG

if you really need to call corporate and complain, you need to shift the focus of your complaint from "them turning you away for having more than 1 copy of a game" to "they were unecessarily rude and presumptuous in how they turned you away." If it was really harsh on their part, and you were unaware of the 1 copy a day policy, then go for it and complain. If they were just doing their job and turning you down, maybe let it go.

i wouldnt even call corporate, i would just sue them bastards. they CANNOT accuse you of stealing. that is the worst thing an employee could do to a customer (well other than cursing you out). i worked in retail and we were told to never accuse anyone of stealing as it could lead to ugly and damaging lawsuits to the company. it wouldn't hurt to call an attorney to for legal advice.

[quote name='Jeoff']Were you actually told to leave the store or were you just told that they wouldn't accept your trades? There's a HUGE difference. The one-a-day policy is real. The kick you out of the store for no reason policy is news to me and probably illegal.[/QUOTE]

The retailer reserves the right to refuse service to anyone for any reason.

Its not illegal for them to kick you out.

while the clerks sound like assholes (not too smart for a clerk to accuse a customer of thievery when there are plenty of logical explanations for why he would have more than one copy of a game), it hasn't been safe to go in with multiple copies of games for years.

you had a bad experience, but at best you can tell the DM you thought the clerks were dicks.

[quote name='Cornfedwb']The retailer reserves the right to refuse service to anyone for any reason.

Its not illegal for them to kick you out.[/QUOTE]

First off that general statement only applies to white males. Second off NO reason is not a reason. Soup nazis don't exist in real life. You need a legitimate reason.

OP said he wasn't kicked out of the store. Employees were probably just being tards. You can give corporate a call and bitch about the dick employees if you want but the employees didn't do anything wrong.

[quote name='Jeoff']First off that general statement only applies to white males. Second off NO reason is not a reason. Soup nazis don't exist in real life. You need a legitimate reason.

OP said he wasn't kicked out of the store. Employees were probably just being tards. You can give corporate a call and bitch about the dick employees if you want but the employees didn't do anything wrong.[/quote]Funny joke. :lol:

I like how some people jump about calling the OP either a hoarder or thinking there might be more to the story. If you actually visit the game deals forum, you'd know just about everyone's taking advantage of the Trade 2, Get $10 Extra deal at GS. And really, there's nothing wrong about buying a couple of copies (note, that's TWO not TEN or TWENTY) of a game that's not only glitchy as hell and almost unplayable, but also a front end game that's generally sold with a generic UPC.

Now, they DO have the right to be suspicious, however, they cannot be outright rude to you in that manner. That's like being thrown in jail just because you look like someone who would commit a crime. I would mainly call, explain your situation that you had two copies of the game and wanted to try trade both in and was simply denied any service at all as well as treated harshly.

[quote name='Cornfedwb']The retailer reserves the right to refuse service to anyone for any reason.

Its not illegal for them to kick you out.[/quote]

Very true, many people aren't aware of this.

doesnt matter if you have 100 copies you should be told policy nicely your a customer anyone accusing you of stealing should be fired.

How about some anti gamestop banners or a joint letter to corp from members of cag?
Theres atleast 100 people here that have negative above and beyond horror storys about them .

Then you have these guys coming in these threads 'oooh leave gamestop alone who cares im to lazy to stick up for myself in life i wanna poke fun at you for trying'.

lol I bet half the people that overly stick up for gamestop on cag work there.

unless there is more to the story.. They are in the wrong saying you stole just cuz you have 2 of the same copy.

I for 1 traded in 3 of the same copy twice in the same store.

Whats crazy is that they accept disc only games, which around here many times have been stolen (a recent walkthrough in WalMart revealed a ton of games which had been sliced open with a razor and gutted)... they accept games in horrible condition... but you try trading in two of the same game and that happens... another reason I hate that chain so much

It is not about the employees because they are like toilet paper to corporate, not about the customers either, it is all about the stockholders and driving the value of the company up

anyone who has a second-hand trade license has the right to refuse a trade for any reason. if the employees kept asking you questions, you can tell them where you got the games and how much you paid. It shouldnt matter if they are going to refuse the trade, that information is not going to change their mind. You should have traded in the game to the one gamestop you went to that didnt have the game and then got store credit.

u should call them cause id be mad if that happen to me I hate gamestop there so gay thats why I never shop there unless its like a cool limited edition.

Well they were right in to interrogating you. you came in with 4 copies of the same game. I think thats the first thing that went through their heads, rational or not. I would be pissed to if i got that treatment for them....atleast put in a complaint if its your hearts desire.

I hate that disc only bullshit too but i think if its 1 copy of that title traded in on that trade...its technically in compliance with their guidelines.

[quote name='GizmoGC']THAT'S where I remember him from.

Yeah, I am sure there is more to the story then what he says.[/QUOTE]

well after reading that...yeah i concur with theres more to the story. Wow that thread was killer.

You should complain about how you were treated but Gamestop, and it dose say this on one of the cardboard things at the counter, " reserves the right to deny any trade-in. As a former Gamestop employee we are told not to except duplicate games from being traded in. However they should not have accused you of stealing.

I remember seeing that thread before everyone strated threadcraping on it. I was thinking "Why is he charging $24 for a 1600 XBLA point card?" I thought it was a typo or something.

Poor guy is now stuck with 4 copies of Harvest Moon DS that he cannot trade to Gamestop or return to Best Buy since he opened them. Next time, buy 4 different games and you should have no problem taking advantage of their deals.

[quote name='TheFreshPrince']thats the story, there is nothing 'more' to it.....and plesae leave the other thread alone[/QUOTE]

Hey, why not sell those $5 copies of Harvest Moon here? I'm sure you can get at least $40 for them, right!??

Yes, I am sure there is 'more' to the story then what you say.

I had something like this similar happen to me. I tried to trade in a sealed game and the employee thought I stole it, even though I traded in about 10 other games that all had reciets (SP?) in the cases dating back to 2004. He said even if I opened it, I'd have to come back tommorow to trade in that particular game. The game: Cabela deer hunting.

^ Well EB/GS don't give you more money for the games being sealed. Might as well open it and look less like a criminal/insane.

bread's done
Back