Gamestop online warranty question

Kanik

CAGiversary!
Feedback
1 (100%)
After selling my Wii (second one I've sold), I've come to grip with the fact that it's just not the system for me. And with that, I've decided to take my blood money and buy a PS3, mainly because I realized there are a crap load of PS2 games I missed out on by not owning the console.

I've decided to go for the PS3, 60gb model. It seems bizarre, but gamestop sells this for the cheapest. (Craigslist has it going for 500+, ebay has it going for roughly 500 and I'm dealing with random people.)

Here's the question though, does Gamestop allow for me to buy a warranty for the console if I bought it online? I don't see any option for that on the site.

I would buy it at the store but I'm positive that any used consoles/games from the stores near me are broken or have some obscure problem the guys overlooked. I'd like to imagine that the PS3s they sell over the net have at least been inspected.

Actually feel free to buy this item in any brick & mortar store... when a gamestop store gets a PS3 traded in they MUST ship it to corporate where the hard drive is wiped clean (like new), tested, cleaned, and shipped to another store (or sold online).

However there should be an option to buy the Product Replacement Plan online, if not then you might just have to make the purchase in store.

You want to buy a used console from Gamestop? I certainly hope their quality control people have become alot better, since I can tell you that during their Xbox sale a while back it took some going through 5 or more systems before they found one that worked 100%.

If you were anywhere near me(northeastern Pennsylvania), I would tell you where I've seen a BRAND NEW 60gb PS3, but I doubt you are anywhere near me. At least with a new system, you know what was done to it, but with used ones it's a crapshoot for sure.

Check out the Gamefunk thread for used 60gb PS3's for $415 plus shipping. Most CAGs who bought from them reported them being in excellent shape.

Gamefunk thread: http://www.cheapassgamer.com/forums/showthread.php?t=165794

There are also companies you can buy warranties from for used products, which I believe people touched on in the Gamefunk thread, so you can get a warranty for that used PS3. I, however, do not know where to get one though.

[quote name='IAmTheCheapestGamer'] You want to buy a used console from Gamestop? I certainly hope their quality control people have become alot better, since I can tell you that during their Xbox sale a while back it took some going through 5 or more systems before they found one that worked 100%.

If you were anywhere near me(northeastern Pennsylvania), I would tell you where I've seen a BRAND NEW 60gb PS3, but I doubt you are anywhere near me. At least with a new system, you know what was done to it, but with used ones it's a crapshoot for sure.

Check out the Gamefunk thread for used 60gb PS3's for $415 plus shipping. Most CAGs who bought from them reported them being in excellent shape.

Gamefunk thread: http://www.cheapassgamer.com/forums/showthread.php?t=165794

There are also companies you can buy warranties from for used products, which I believe people touched on in the Gamefunk thread, so you can get a warranty for that used PS3. I, however, do not know where to get one though.[/quote]

Eh, but that was the 360 - they seem to drop like flies and I wouldn't be surprised if people were selling them off their broken 360s and Gamestop couldn't fix it. (I love my 360.)

I live in New Jersey so I probably could drive down, but I don't think I would for a PS3. :p

Ya, I was about to get one from Gamefunk a while back but then the price got bumped up by about 50 bucks or so, plus it seems they only offer the Squaretrade warranty if you buy from them on ebay (both their site and their ebay site seem sold out). Plus after searching through the topic I've found a good handful of people with problems like overheating.

I feel more comfortable buying it from a store (even Gamestop) and then having that store warranty so when it brakes down I can just throw at their face.

I just really wish people on Craigslist weren't so anti-social. I've found plenty of amazing deals on there but whenever communicating with people they just stop replying to emails...hmmm normally when I ask "Is it working properly, anything wrong?"

Hah spoke too soon, so I called up every place the site claimed to have 60 gigs...of course, the site was horribly wrong since many stores told me they had none in stock. Finally found, what was probably the only one in the tristate area, in Harlem. Made a trip there and got the 60 gig.

Come home, works fine - made my PSN account no problem. Go out to rent a game, pop it in, before I start playing I do the firmware upgrade. After the upgrade the menu began to show red artifacts, the system began to heat up a ton - enough so that my whole room's temperature raised to the point where I was sweating. (I live in a building with central air.)
And, the game I rented along with several demos looked like crap, they were all jagged and looked like a bad Wii port. (This is in HDTV with a HDMI cable in 720p)

Brought it to gamestop and luckily got a refund on both the console and warranty.

What I thought was worse than the purchase experience was when I tried to get help for my problem. The PS3 community is vicious and only has the 360 on their mind. I was getting told that I made up the story and that heat from a PS3 like that is normal.

After the whole mess I ended up getting a PS2 Slim and so far it's been great.

There's someone in MY area supposedly selling a 60 gb and 4-6 games or so with it for $375, Kanik. I'm about maybe ummmm 2 hours from you(at highway speeds)in northeastern Pennsylvania. I had someone from NJ offering me a PS3 for $350(60gb too) but they flaked and never responded after the second day. I also had someone from Hazleton(in PA) offering me a 60gb for $325 or so, but they disappeared too.

I do know where there is a BRAND NEW PS3(60gb) in the tri-state area. It was there months ago when I was down that way, though I'm not sure if it's there now.

I'll PM you with the location, since I don't dare say it in a thread because the 60gb models are hard to come by new anymore.

bread's done
Back