Gamestop Pre-order bonus a lie???

goldengrad

CAG Veteran
Tried to search for posts on this. New to forums so I apologize if this is discussed in some form elsewhere.

I pre-ordered a BUNCH of stuff back in the spring when Gamestop had the 25% off $100+. All pre-order bonuses came in Transformers, Red Dead, etc. except when my last two showed up. Halo Reach and Civ V.

Anyone else get jipped on their Gamestop pre-order benefits recently? I called customer service but we'll see if they take any action.

Never got any Halo Reach pre-order bonuses or Civ V bonuses.
If I'm correct I should have gotten $20 buyers credit and armor bonus with Reach.
Civ should have given me extra map pack.
All this stuff is emailed I think and I'm pretty good about keeping/watching junk box for stuff so I'm pretty sure it didn't fall through the cracks.

Just curious if anyone else is having issues.

[quote name='goldengrad']Tried to search for posts on this. New to forums so I apologize if this is discussed in some form elsewhere.

I pre-ordered a BUNCH of stuff back in the spring when Gamestop had the 25% off $100+. All pre-order bonuses came in Transformers, Red Dead, etc. except when my last two showed up. Halo Reach and Civ V.

Anyone else get jipped on their Gamestop pre-order benefits recently? I called customer service but we'll see if they take any action.

Never got any Halo Reach pre-order bonuses or Civ V bonuses.
If I'm correct I should have gotten $20 buyers credit and armor bonus with Reach.
Civ should have given me extra map pack.
All this stuff is emailed I think and I'm pretty good about keeping/watching junk box for stuff so I'm pretty sure it didn't fall through the cracks.

Just curious if anyone else is having issues.[/QUOTE]
I know the Halo Reach offer for $20 back was a limited time deal during early pre-ordering. If you pre-ordered closer to the game's release it wasn't offered anymore.

When they're emailed, they usually come under "Gamestop Special Offers" and they're emailed as soon as the game ships.

[quote name='WhipSmartBanky']I know the Halo Reach offer for $20 back was a limited time deal during early pre-ordering. If you pre-ordered closer to the game's release it wasn't offered anymore.

When they're emailed, they usually come under "Gamestop Special Offers" and they're emailed as soon as the game ships.[/QUOTE]

I thought about something along those lines. Here's the issue. I think when I originally pre-ordered the Reach game, there was no pre-order bonus, except maybe the armor bonus. I believe the $20 credit got added later in it's development to counter Amazon/Best Buy deals etc. Which then brings up Red Dead Redemption. I pre-ordered this months a head of time and STILL got the $10 credit they tacked on to the pre-order deal towards the end to again counter Walmart/BB/Amazon deals. So based on the fact I got Red Dead's additional $10, I should have gotten the extra $20. Plus that's just bad business if you give all the late pre-orders all the bonuses and not the guys that put down pre-orders from the start. I'm sure I must be an anomaly but they should be able to track whether or not I received it. I've kept track of all my emails from GS. All my pre-order emails were received up until Civ and Reach.

[quote name='goldengrad']I thought about something along those lines. Here's the issue. I think when I originally pre-ordered the Reach game, there was no pre-order bonus, except maybe the armor bonus. I believe the $20 credit got added later in it's development to counter Amazon/Best Buy deals etc. Which then brings up Red Dead Redemption. I pre-ordered this months a head of time and STILL got the $10 credit they tacked on to the pre-order deal towards the end to again counter Walmart/BB/Amazon deals. So based on the fact I got Red Dead's additional $10, I should have gotten the extra $20. Plus that's just bad business if you give all the late pre-orders all the bonuses and not the guys that put down pre-orders from the start. I'm sure I must be an anomaly but they should be able to track whether or not I received it. I've kept track of all my emails from GS. All my pre-order emails were received up until Civ and Reach.[/QUOTE]
If it wasn't offered when I ordered, I wouldn't expect to get it at all and be pleasantly surprised if I did. Ultimately that's up to you to decide if it's worth fighting for.

well it they are anything like amazon then they should have a preorder price guarantee, and i'd call them on that. if you look when you preorder from amazon they claim that if the price lowers or any bonuses are added after you preorder you'll automatically get them. and if it were me i'd call up someone and say in a calm but stern voice "listen here bucko, if you don't honor your bonuses, i'll just take my business to amazon because they always honor what is typed on their website." and they will probably go ahead and refund your money because they don't wanna lose business :D

[quote name='stuntman21']well it they are anything like amazon then they should have a preorder price guarantee, and i'd call them on that. if you look when you preorder from amazon they claim that if the price lowers or any bonuses are added after you preorder you'll automatically get them. and if it were me i'd call up someone and say in a calm but stern voice "listen here bucko, if you don't honor your bonuses, i'll just take my business to amazon because they always honor what is typed on their website." and they will probably go ahead and refund your money because they don't wanna lose business :D[/QUOTE]

Good to know, it will definitely turn my business elsewhere depending on how this plays out. I think I am just an unlucky fellow and was an exception to the norm. I'm sure GS did not do this to very many Reach pre-orders or there would've been a huge backlash.

[quote name='WhipSmartBanky']If it wasn't offered when I ordered, I wouldn't expect to get it at all and be pleasantly surprised if I did. Ultimately that's up to you to decide if it's worth fighting for.[/QUOTE]

Well, I did want the $20 credit and (armor bonus was already included I think) would have cancelled/reorder to get it. The fact that I got Red Dead and got the add-on credit for $10 after I ordered it made me think it would just be tacked on to my Reach pre-order too.

Phone called and emails have both been responded to with a general "we will look into it/working on it" message so I'll wait a week? (First called on Tuesday midday. Emailed Wednesday afternoon.) I will wait a week although this IS the digital age and there should be quick turn around for some simple emails that just need to be sent out.

To add a note about Gamestop's pre-order practices (in-stores at least):

I pre-ordered Castlevania - Lords of Shadow at Gamestop and was told I ordered in time to have one of the t-shirts reserved for me. On the day the game came out, I went to the store to pick it up at about 5:30pm and they said the shirts were all gone. I asked how that could be, and the employee told me they were first-come, first serve. I asked if that meant first to pre-order, first serve, and he said they hadn't checked any of the pre-order dates (so if someone had pre-ordered the day before it came out, and was able to get to the store early enough, they would get a shirt even though I'd ordered months in advance).

Needless to say I've cancelled all of my Gamestop pre-orders and won't buy from them again until their practices are changed...

I wouldn't get your hopes up. Gamestop loves their money. I have never had Gamestop give me something they messed up on. Worst was when they cancelled my Starcraft 2: CE order (that I had gotten during the 25% off 100 sale) just because they felt like it. I called them up and they did absolutely nothing about it. That, among many other bad experiences, is why I vow to never shop at Gamestop again.

+1 to GS haters... I have NEVER received a pre-order bonus item at any of my gamestops because of my schedule and always getting there later in the day. I stopped getting disappointed by using only Amazon. I use GS for used games, random deals, and that's about it. Their customer service is terrible because it usually goes from Corporate level to local level, and the local managers could really care less in most cases.

Anyone else truly miss EB as much as I do?

Oh, the side benefit to poor customer service is that typically you can receive the preorder items no matter when you preorder it. You just have to show up early in the day and take someone elses :)

[quote name='Retom7']Oh, the side benefit to poor customer service is that typically you can receive the preorder items no matter when you preorder it. You just have to show up early in the day and take someone elses :)[/QUOTE]

Unless the employees have kept them all, and claimed that they never got them or they only got a few and they're all gone. :roll:
Pick your poison. This is not a surprise, but simply what's expected.

I think they realized just how bad the employees were ripping off the system, so now if it's a piece of download content, the code is actually printed on the receipt. Regardless, another reason not to shop there.

So I did finally get two email responses. One was with the Halo Reach Armor another was for more information about the order. I replied so we'll see.

Dear Valued Customer,

Thank you for contacting us at GameStop.com.

We apologize that you did not receive the bonus item with your pre-order/reserve.

Please note that due to the advertised limited quantities of bonus offers, GameStop cannot guarantee the offer will be available at the time of purchase or reservation. Generally, bonus items/offers are limited in supply.

That being said we would like to attempt to get this bonus to you. Please provide your order number if this was pre-ordered at our online store.

Otherwise we will need your reserve transaction information.

Version reserved (XBOX 360, PS3, Wii, etc.)
Date the reservation was placed:
Store # / Transaction # - Register # (located to the far right on the receipt, after the date, it will be in this format 00000/00-000): -
Amount paid on the original reservation -
Phone number -

Also, we will need your physical shipping address if we are able to mail something out to you.

Sincerely,
John
Customer Service Agent

bread's done
Back