Gamestop pre order question

isofan1

CAGiversary!
I was wondering if I could return my pre order of inFamous unopened even if I used up the Gigawatt Blade Powers DLC code? Below is what the store says about receiving the code. See I already pre ordered the game on Amazon for cheaper. Another thing this gamestop knows that I usually cancel alot of pre orders and kinda have it out for me.

Store Customers: A pre-order card with code and instructions will be available at time of game pick-up.

Receipts don't generally mention anything about pre-order bonuses, so yeah, you should be able to go and pick up the pre-order and your code. Then, just return the game whenever.

I got a preorder bonus for Fallout 3 and later had to cancel my preorder (Financial reasons) and while they laid a major guilt-trip on me, they didn't ask for my preorder stuff back.

[quote name='Keavy_Rain']I got a preorder bonus for Fallout 3 and later had to cancel my preorder (Financial reasons) and while they laid a major guilt-trip on me, they didn't ask for my preorder stuff back.[/quote]

yea but I've done it multiple times... LBP DLC, RE5 15% trade in bonus, Socom beta.

[quote name='isofan1']yea but I've done it multiple times... LBP DLC, RE5 15% trade in bonus, Socom beta.[/quote]
I don't think they can legally stop you from cancelling this time but they may enforce their legal right to deny you service the next time you come in.

I've only done that on one or two pre-orders and I only made the pre-orders since the clerks helped me by giving me some pennied guides I wanted. Otherwise, I don't pre-order shit anymore.

I'd rather wait till a game hits clearance and either trade for it here or buy it for the cheap price than pay full retail anymore.

Question about canceling a pre-order: has anyone ever been told that they can't cancel a Gamestop pre-order over the phone? A clerk just told me that I have to come in to cancel my Infamous pre-order because they "have to verify it's really me". I think he's lying because both my order receipt and customer service told me I could cancel over the phone. Anyone have any experience with this? Should I call back and demand to speak to a manager?

Screw this. I've called twice and been blown off twice. I'm just going to reverse the charge if these idiots decide to charge me a "restocking" fee. And I am never ordering from Gamestop again. No exclusive is worth this crap.

I've NEVER heard that you can cancel over the phone. Plus, what's so hard about going into a Gamestop and saying 'I don't want this game anymore, cancel my pre-order'?

Seriously, what's the big issue that you can't take 5-10 minutes and go in and cancel?

[quote name='IAmTheCheapestGamer']I've NEVER heard that you can cancel over the phone. Plus, what's so hard about going into a Gamestop and saying 'I don't want this game anymore, cancel my pre-order'?

Seriously, what's the big issue that you can't take 5-10 minutes and go in and cancel?[/quote]

1.) The order confirmation that was generated when I placed the order online says call the pick-up store if you need to make changes to the order.

2.) The pick-up store is the Pentagon City one which is routinely packed to the gills with long lines. It would take me way more that 10-15 minutes to cancel this pre-order. Not to mention that I'd have to drive out there and pay for parking. I can deal with standing in line and paying for parking if I walk away with a game at the end, but to do so just to cancel a pre-order? And for no good reason? (Gamestop is alleging they're doing this for fraud issues, which is just such patent BS it's laughable.) I don't think so.

I've pre-ordered at Amazon, which has release-date delivery. Never again will I pre-order from Gamestop. I'm stunned they're still in business. If they charge me the $5 restocking fee (lol) I'll just reverse the charge.

Gamestop has never been able to change reserves over the phone.

You HAVE to go to the store. The employees are not blowing you off.

I can post a scan of the order confirmation page - it says I can call. I'm not really interested in debating the issue though. I'm just going to reverse the charge.

I preordered Fallout 3 a while back to get the bonuses, then the guy I canceled my preorder on called me a jackass....

[quote name='luxarific']1.) The order confirmation that was generated when I placed the order online says call the pick-up store if you need to make changes to the order.[/quote]

They probably mean if you want to change the address it's going to or billing method or whatever and NOT to cancel a pre-order.

2.) The pick-up store is the Pentagon City one which is routinely packed to the gills with long lines. It would take me way more that 10-15 minutes to cancel this pre-order. Not to mention that I'd have to drive out there and pay for parking. I can deal with standing in line and paying for parking if I walk away with a game at the end, but to do so just to cancel a pre-order? And for no good reason? (Gamestop is alleging they're doing this for fraud issues, which is just such patent BS it's laughable.) I don't think so.

You know if you did the pre-order online you can also CANCEL it online, right? It's VERY easy to find GS' customer service page(s) on their site if you just LOOK. Link to their Contact US page: http://www.gamestop.com/gs/help/contact_us.aspxhttp://www.gamestop.com/gs/help/contact_us.aspx

[EDIT: Here's Gamestop's 800 # to change order details and so on, so you don't have to whine anymore once they deny you the cancellation from the local store: 1-(800) 883-8895.]

Moreover, I'm sure you probably have MULTIPLE GS stores within a quick driving distance of you, why not choose one where you don't have to pay to park if the online changes don't work? Is the GS where you have to pay to park in a mall that charges? I ask because our local mall used to charge to park and they gave you 2-3 free hours if you got your ticket validated.

I've pre-ordered at Amazon, which has release-date delivery. Never again will I pre-order from Gamestop. I'm stunned they're still in business. If they charge me the $5 restocking fee (lol) I'll just reverse the charge.

Amazon is a strictly ONLINE company with NO B&M stores. The rules for B&M stores are way different than online only places. I'm willing to bet you're one of the whiny jackoffs who post 'horror stories' to The Consumerist all the time about how they had to wait 5 fuckin' minutes to check out at Best Buy on Black Friday.

I mean, how DARE they expect you to have to come into a retail store to cancel something. They should just take your word over the phone that you're who you say you are. THE HORROR, THE HORROR!!

[quote name='IAmTheCheapestGamer']They probably mean if you want to change the address it's going to or billing method or whatever and NOT to cancel a pre-order.

Well then, find a game you want and pick it up while there because they're NOT gonna cancel over the phone. Moreover, you did the pre-order ONLINE, so why not call Gamestop's customer service line and ask this instead of being a jackass and expecting a B&M store to bend the rules to suit you?

Moreover, I'm sure you probably have MULTIPLE GS stores within a quick driving distance of you, why not choose one where you don't have to pay to park? Is the GS where you have to pay to park in a mall that charges? I ask because our local mall used to charge to park and they gave you 2-3 free hours if you got your ticket validated.

Amazon is a strictly ONLINE company with NO B&M stores. The rules for B&M stores are way different than online only places. I'm willing to bet you're one of the whiny jackoffs who post 'horror stories' to The Consumerist all the time about how they had to wait 5 fuckin' minutes to check out at Best Buy on Black Friday.

I mean, how DARE they expect you to have to come into a retail store to cancel something. They should just take your word over the phone that you're who you say you are. THE HORROR, THE HORROR!![/QUOTE]

I salute you man and luxarific your just being stubborn right now.

[quote name='IAmTheCheapestGamer']...[/quote]

:applause: You're spot on, friend. Of all the things we can complain about when it comes to GS, this isn't one of them. I've canceled pre-orders with them in the past without an issue.

Good lord! How hard is it to go wait 10 minutes in line. If you don't want to then it seems like you truly want another copy or are just lazy as hell. It's not a point of arguing over the phone, you need to get off your ass and go return it. None of this over the phone bs

There's a reason why you can't cancel over the phone, because they don't know if it's really the person who pre-ordered. To them, it's just some random person asking to cancel the order when it could be someone w/ that person's info. They make you go to a B&M store to protect their ass from getting sued.

All you have to do at the store is ask to cancel the order and sign a slip(like a trade-in). They usually refund it in the same method it was paid(cash for cash, store credit for store credit). That signature on the slip is to protect them from a lawsuit.

GS can't confirm who it is by using a confirmation number?
I guess the next time I need to change a flight I need to go to the airport. lol

[quote name='dmlopr']GS can't confirm who it is by using a confirmation number?
I guess the next time I need to change a flight I need to go to the airport. lol[/quote]
And what would happen of someone got hold of your change flight number (something crazy like they stalk you) and then changed your flight without you knowing but the airport thinks it's actually you because of your confirmation number?

[quote name='weeitzme']And what would happen of someone got hold of your change flight number (something crazy like they stalk you) and then changed your flight without you knowing but the airport thinks it's actually you because of your confirmation number?[/quote]
If you have the name and conf# you could change a flight. Go to Southwest and give it a whirl. My point was that the customer is offered the convenience of altering the reservation by the same means the transaction was started in the first place unless clearly stated otherwise. Restaraunts and golf courses don't require you to show up if you wish to make a change either. Perhaps never working retail leaves me ignorant of the gaming biz. Amazon doesn't seem to mind though.

[quote name='dmlopr']If you have the name and conf# you could change a flight. Go to Southwest and give it a whirl. My point was that the customer is offered the convenience of altering the reservation by the same means the transaction was started in the first place unless clearly stated otherwise. Restaraunts and golf courses don't require you to show up if you wish to make a change either. Perhaps never working retail leaves me ignorant of the gaming biz. Amazon doesn't seem to mind though.[/quote]

Thanks dmlopr, it's nice to know that someone else finds Gamestop's policy to be utterly ridiculous (and I have worked retail).

Thanks for the 1-800 number, IAmTheCheapestGamer, I'll give that a try today. If they still want to make me come into the store in person, I'll just reverse the "restocking" charge on my cc.

[quote name='IAmTheCheapestGamer']You know, since you did it on the website, you should be able to get it removed via the site as well.[/quote]

That's what I'd stupidly assumed I'd be able to do when I placed the pre-order. If I had known that I would be required to cancel in person, I wouldn't have ordered from Gamestop (the only reason I did at all was because Amazon wasn't offering release-date delivery for InFamous at the time and I am seriously jonesing for this game. :)). In any case, I've learned my lesson and won't be pre-ordering from GS again. Thanks for the number though.

bread's done
Back