Gamestop PS3 and 360 trade in for up to 150 off new PS4

Great deal but I have more than $150 worth of unplayed games on both my systems.  It kills me some days to not go next gen yet but I just need to wait.

Last edited by a moderator:
Great deal but I have more than $150 worth of unplayed games on both my systems. It kills me some days to not go next gen yet but I just need to wait.

I kind of regret trading in my PS3. I haven't even had it a year and I have lots of digital games. I'm going to try to find a cheap one on Craigslist at the end of this year though.

Seems people are able to trade a 360 and a PS3 towards a PS4, right? I have 2 360s and don't use my PS3 so this would awesome since I have like $400 in credit at GS.

Great deal but I have more than $150 worth of unplayed games on both my systems. It kills me some days to not go next gen yet but I just need to wait.
Just go next gen. can't just hang on to old games forever, especially when we know they'll never be played nor completed. Life doesn't provide us enough time to devote to gaming and live a responsible life.

Just go next gen. can't just hang on to old games forever, especially when we know they'll never be played nor completed. Life doesn't provide us enough time to devote to gaming and live a responsible life.
You know what site you're on? Every here has backlogs on their backlogs.

if you trade a 360, does it have to have a hard drive? ir can i keep my drive and just get rid of the console and such?
Bump on this question, I recently moved and for some reason I can't find my Hard Drive, haven't touched my 360 in a while and now seems a good time to get rid of it. Do they require a hard drive or are they just basing it on the model number of the 360 for the bonus?

Bump on this question, I recently moved and for some reason I can't find my Hard Drive, haven't touched my 360 in a while and now seems a good time to get rid of it. Do they require a hard drive or are they just basing it on the model number of the 360 for the bonus?
I know for the slims they check, they've checked mine every time. I can't say for the old ones, I can't remember - but I assume that you would need it since no HDD made them basically useless (just look at it from their point of view, they plan to at least try to sell these one day).

Man...to get rid of your PS3 and all of its downloaded software for only $150 either means you didn't invest a lot in digital software or you're that desperate for a $150 cheaper PS4 - in that case just wait to jump into the new Gen once you can genuinely afford it. The opportunity cost here is abysmal.

I was just wondering. I traded an old 360 a few years ago with the hard drive seperate. I didn't know at the time that the hard drive had a seperate trade-in value, they were nice enough to tell me then.

Man...to get rid of your PS3 and all of its downloaded software for only $150 either means you didn't invest a lot in digital software or you're that desperate for a $150 cheaper PS4 - in that case just wait to jump into the new Gen once you can genuinely afford it. The opportunity cost here is abysmal.
I didn't really invest in digital software, I barely even used Playstation plus. I bought one of those month passes for $3 last year. Most of my gaming is on my pc, I only really play COD and Fifa on my PS3 and use it for blu-rays and streaming. My 360 is collecting dust and this seems like a good way to get rid of it. It does seem appealing to get rid of both for $300 as I hate selling electronics on craigslist.

Not really - I don't play my old games all that often. I don't see a $150 value in having an old system that I don't use just sitting there, even if I have games on it. It just depends on the individual.

When I was younger in college when the Wii released, I clamored for cash because I just had to get it. I thought "hey ill never use my game cube" so I sold it on eBay with some games.

I since had to buy a refurbished one and hunt for games on eBay because I made a knee jerk decision that benefited me only on the short term. Never again.

making it worse is the fact that you get $150 no matter how much is on the harddrive- it gets wiped regardless. That's basically throwing out money. I'd rather give/sell it to a close friend or sibling who could actually benefit from those games.

I spent $129 for a refurb'd Slim 120GB PS3 directly from Sony when my 2008 unit finally YLOD'd. I also stuck a spare 320GB laptop HDD I had laying around inside of it...much as I am tempted to get a PS4, only KH3 and FFXV are the titles I want for it. I'd rather keep my PS3 with all of the Plus content I can play with it and my slew of PS1 and PS3 titles rather than get rid of it. Someday...someday I will bite on a PS4, but not any day soon.

Thing is, you can always re-download any content you bought on the PS3 right back onto the PS4. You can use PS+ to backup any saves and whatnot. I'd say, with my exceptionally limited library of games that are just collecting dust, that the 150 is entirely worth it.

I want to make sure none of my information nor games are on my ps3 when I go to trade it in so what do you guys/girls recommend doing? Should I delete everything one by one or should I reformat it?

The current generation of PS3s have been tweaked quite a bit while the current (and only generation) of the PS4 hasn't had the same level of hardware optimization yet. If you want to trade in a design that has had years of real world usage vs a new console which is still in it's first main revision , try your luck.

Thing is, you can always re-download any content you bought on the PS3 right back onto the PS4. You can use PS+ to backup any saves and whatnot. I'd say, with my exceptionally limited library of games that are just collecting dust, that the 150 is entirely worth it.
what exactly from the ps3 can you download on the ps4?

I want to make sure none of my information nor games are on my ps3 when I go to trade it in so what do you guys/girls recommend doing? Should I delete everything one by one or should I reformat it?
Can't you connect the HDD to a computer first by using a USB external enclosure and then writing all zeroes to the drive?

hmm, didnt know that, seems weird and pointless
You can download Vita games on your PS3 but you would have the same problem as well.

Edit: Honestly , I wouldn't want to trade in my PS3 for a PS4 especially if I'm only getting $150 for it.

If you are desperate for $150 and you are a CAG , you can just flip games to get that much.

Why trade in one of the most awesome consoles of all time just to get $150?

You can download Vita games on your PS3 but you would have the same problem as well.

Edit: Honestly , I wouldn't want to trade in my PS3 for a PS4 especially if I'm only getting $150 for it.

If you are desperate for $150 and you are a CAG , you can just flip games and get that much.

yeah, blockbusters sales last year paid for my ps4.

If you are desperate for $150 and you are a CAG , you can just flip games to get that much.

Most CAGs don't pay full price for their consoles so getting $150 for it will probably be a good deal and even tho I flip games from time to time it can be a hassle and/or time consuming at times. I work a lot, go to the gym and study for licensing exams after that so I don't have as much time to flip as before so even though this isn't the most you can get for a console I'd take it, especially if I rarely use them anymore.

Has anyone traded in an original 360 with a 250gb+ hdd? If I do end up doing this trade in, I'd like to get a larger hard drive for my 360 to get the $150 trade in value.
You only get $75 for the original, fat 360 so it's really not worth it. They trade in the HDD separately.

Maybe my understanding is wrong, but can't you play digital PS3 games on the PS4? I mean, I know it isn't backwards compatible, but I figured with Playstation Now being able to rent and play PS3 games on the PS4, that your digital content would work all the same.

Maybe my understanding is wrong, but can't you play digital PS3 games on the PS4? I mean, I know it isn't backwards compatible, but I figured with Playstation Now being able to rent and play PS3 games on the PS4, that your digital content would work all the same.
I don't think you are allowed to use your existing content.

I think you would have to rent it digitally instead.

http://www.sfgate.com/technology/businessinsider/article/You-ll-Finally-Be-Able-To-Play-Old-PlayStation-5124774.php

"PS Now will deliver a variety of popular PlayStation®3 (PS3™) game titles*1 first on PlayStation®4 (PS4™) and PS3 systems, followed by the PlayStation®Vita (PS Vita) system."

Before you get overly excited, here's what you need to know about the PS Now service.

Will I be able to play all of the games I own for the PlayStation, PS2, AND PS3 on the PlayStation 4?

Nope.

Though the titles may be available to stream on the PS4, if you already own any of the games, Sony won't have a way to recognize your previous purchases.

From Forbes:

“According to Sony, gamers who own disc or digital-based games will not have access to those games via PS Now free of charge.”

That's probably not going to sit well with gamers. Why would anyone want to repurchase titles they've spent hundreds of dollars on already? This probably won't be as much of an issue with PS3 titles since most can be upgraded to PS4 games for an additional fee.

Well damn. Ehh, regardless, it's still gonna be saved to my PSN account. I can pick up a cheap PS3 later down the line and just re-download it. Like I said earlier on, it's just collecting dust as is. I plan on getting the Destiny bundle, and from what I've read, "Most players will never beat it". I accept that challenge. Lol.

I think I'm going to try to cash in on this. If I can get an employee to let me buy a handful of amazon gift cards with the $5 off coupons, I could basically turn a 360 into $200 Amazon, which is exactly what I paid for it a year ago. Can't beat that. Anything I've been playing recently has been digitally anyway, so I'll probably just move over to my fat 360 with a busted disc drive. Only thing that sucks is that it's not wireless, but for $200 I'll just use the ethernet cable when I need to. Hope this goes according to plan, but we'll see.

His question had nothing to do with fraud - they do take broken systems, it says right on the offer. Whether or not they take one with a serious defect like a YLOD is a legitimate question. He never said anything about pretending it was fully functional.
It’s a fraudulent question.

I have a 4gb console with a 320gb hard drive in it. Will this count as a 320gb version or will it count it as 4gb version? (I'm trading the 320gb drive with it.

Gah! If this only happened next year! I think I'd be done with my 360 and PS3 by then. I just have so many unplayed games! One Piece Pirate Warriors, Ninokuni, Skyrim (yes, yes, I know), Ratchet and Clank: Into the Nexus, Puppeteer, Earth Defense Force, etc, etc. I don't think I have to worry about PS Plus giving us anymore good PS3 games. LOL

Sorry if it's been asked but do I have to purchase a ps4 once I trade my "3" in or can the credit reserve a ps4 until I pay it off? TIA

edit: nvm... I'll just get playstation tv instead of another ps4.

I feel you man.I'm in the same boat. I have enough games to last me 1 or 2 years. But I also have 3 ps3's and I need to get rid of at least one of them (don't ask my why I have 3, it's a long story). I'm just wondering how many times a deal like this will come around again. Even if I trade it in, I will still have to drop another $250+ to get the PS4. Oh decisions, decisions

I feel you man.I'm in the same boat. I have enough games to last me 1 or 2 years. But I also have 3 ps3's and I need to get rid of at least one of them (don't ask my why I have 3, it's a long story).
Why do you have three?

It’s a fraudulent question.
Maybe if you don't know what fraudulent is. And what's with all the crap/troll posts in here? If you don't want to sell your PS3 then fine - I paid $200 for mine years ago and now it just sits there, if I can get $150 of that back that's great for me, it that doesn't appeal to you then why are you even in this thread?

It's not unheard of for hardcore gamers to end up with multiple consoles of the same type. I originally bought a 120 gb slim for my digital content. Then I bought an 80 gb original model from GS so I could play my PS2 games in high def. Not trading in either at the moment since the only PS4 game I'd want to play right now is Pinball Arcade which I only have on PS3, Vita and Android. But it might be a good deal for a more casual gamer who is ready to move on to the next gen. For the record, I also own six Dreamcasts, one of which is a broken kiosk model that I kept for sentimental reasons.

But before you guys get rid of your PS3s, I just want to remind you that Persona 5 is only coming to PS3, which is the best reason to have one ready.

It's not unheard of for hardcore gamers to end up with multiple consoles of the same type. I originally bought a 120 gb slim for my digital content. Then I bought an 80 gb original model from GS so I could play my PS2 games in high def. Not trading in either at the moment since the only PS4 game I'd want to play right now is Pinball Arcade which I only have on PS3, Vita and Android. But it might be a good deal for a more casual gamer who is ready to move on to the next gen. For the record, I also own six Dreamcasts, one of which is a broken kiosk model that I kept for sentimental reasons.

But before you guys get rid of your PS3s, I just want to remind you that Persona 5 is only coming to PS3, which is the best reason to have one ready.
That's fair enough - I was talking about the people coming in here and implying that anyone considering this is dumb or that they shouldn't buy a PS4 if they can't afford it and crap like that. :)

Damn, I might have to jump on this. I have a 60GB rottin' away in the closet. Been wantin' to get rid of it for a long time. It had the YLOD, but I got it repaired and haven't used it since. Replaced it with the Slim. It's only $75, but whatever. I missed out on when Best Buy when were takin' them for $100. I just want it out of my closet lol.

I have a Gears 360 that I only bought for the Gears series, so I hardly play it these days since I finished the series. Sick lookin' system, but my Slim gets all of the attention.

Two questions, if I trade-in all this stuff, can I hold on to the credit until I'm ready to buy a PS4 or do they expect you to buy it on the spot?[\b]

And is Gears bein' re-released for the X1?

I don't believe so. But then again, ymmv. I know this deal ends on the 14th tho. I also know I'll be cashing in my system in about a week for that Destiny bundle. Lol.

Damn, I might have to jump on this. I have a 60GB rottin' away in the closet. Been wantin' to get rid of it for a long time. It had the YLOD, but I got it repaired and haven't used it since. Replaced it with the Slim. It's only $75, but whatever. I missed out on when Best Buy when were takin' them for $100. I just want it out of my closet lol.

I have a Gears 360 that I only bought for the Gears series, so I hardly play it these days since I finished the series. Sick lookin' system, but my Slim gets all of the attention.

Two questions, if I trade-in all this stuff, can I hold on to the credit until I'm ready to buy a PS4 or do they expect you to buy it on the spot?[\b]

And is Gears bein' re-released for the X1?

The guy I talked to said you had to buy a ps4 when trading in. Can't apply as credit to a future purchase

bread's done
Back