Gamestop really sucks

hardwo0d

CAGiversary!
Feedback
7 (100%)
Ok so let me give you a quick run down. About 3 weeks ago I go into the Gamestop nearest my job and ask for a copy of Resistance. The clerk goes over to the shelf and hands me what is supposedly a new copy. I notice that the game had been re-shrinkwrapped and ask him for another copy. He takes the game, looks at it, and agrees that it was re-shrinkwrapped and hands me a new copy. Today, my mom tells me that my nephew did not receive anything for christmas (he's 13) and I feel bad for him, so I pick him up and take him to Gamestop so he can get a game. We come up to the cashier/employee and he asks him for a copy of Rayman for the Wii. The employee goes into the used game bin and proceeds to give me what he says is a new copy of Rayman. I tell him that I want a brand new copy, as it is a present. He tells me that he can go to the back and re-shrinkwrap it. I tell him "No," I want a "New Copy." He goes back to the shelf and hands me a copy, but this one was also re-wrapped. Maybe he thought that I could not tell the difference? I tell him "No, I want a new one" and he gets all huffy puffy and finally gets a new one and shoves it in my face; I paid for my items and left. Is Gamestop's new policy to shrinkwrap used games and peddle them to the public? Is this not somewhat illegal?

[quote name='gizmogc']Here we go again.

I'll make it simple: SHOP SOMEWHERE ELSE.[/QUOTE]

beat me too it, and what it was only a day since one of "these" threads popped up?

[quote name='gizmogc']Here we go again.

I'll make it simple: SHOP SOMEWHERE ELSE.[/QUOTE]

I've never had any problems there in the past; only recently, but I will start shopping elsewhere

[quote name='hardwo0d']Do you guys work for Gamestop?[/QUOTE]

Some of us. Most of us get tired of the 'they sell used games as new' threads that pop-up and contain the same dozen people bitching about it. Thats all. No harm.

[quote name='gizmogc']Some of us. Most of us get tired of the 'they sell used games as new' threads that pop-up and contain the same dozen people bitching about it. Thats all. No harm.[/QUOTE]

Yeah, I hear ya. I go to Gamestop outta convenience. Its a good store and they always got the stuff I want. I've seen alot of these stories, but it has only happened to me on these two occasions recently. Question: If Gamestop gets all the empty display boxes, why do they open new games for display? Just Curious

Here is a EB/GS experience today.,

My 360 was giving me disc read errors. So I decided to go exchange it with my PRP.

ME:I'm having problems with my 360 and I'd like to use my PRP.
EB lady: ok................. but you don't have your paper work
Me: It's in the box along with everything that originally came with it.
EB lady: (looks at receipt) You bought this in April of 2006, you have to wait for the MS warranty to run out first before you can use our PRP. (turns to co-workers) how long is the Ms warranty?
ME:what are you talking about? I have bought and used many systems and PRPs and that's not how they were explained or used in the past.
EB lady: That's how the PRP works, that's how it's always been and who ever told you otherwise is a idiot.
ME: well I want a replacement unit now.
EB lady: sorry you have to use your MS warranty first.
ME: You know what? don't worry about it, I'll call corporate and make it their problem.
Eb lady: wait..............I'll take care of you this time but you have to buy another PRP.
ME: no that's OK.(I walk out)

I then drove 10 mins down the road to another GS and they exchange it, no questions asked, in and out in under 5 minutes.

Can any GS/EB workers tell me if she was wrong or what?

[quote name='hardwo0d'] I tell him "No, I want a new one" and he gets all huffy puffy and finally gets a new one and shoves it in my face; I paid for my items and left. Is Gamestop's new policy to shrinkwrap used games and peddle them to the public? Is this not somewhat illegal?[/quote]

Way to stick it to them. You get bad service, and then you go ahead and buy the game. I am sure BB, Wal-Mart, or CC had the game.

I'm still pissed at Gamestop because of their ridiculous handling of the PS3 preorders. I was first on the "preorder call list" at 3 stores in my area. 7 months prior to launch I started bugging them about putting my cash down to preorder (didn't have the time to spend camping so I was trying to be proactive). I kept getting told that they did not have the SKU in the computer to preorder and as soon as they did I would be called to come in. I checked with the store on a weekly basis and kept getting told there was no SKU or that corporate told them they weren't doing preorders. I spoke with a store manager on 10/9/06 and was told they most likely weren't going to do preorders because Sony could not give them a solid count of launch units they would receive.

As most of you know fuck ing preorders went on sale the very next morning! People that happened to go into the store that day got a preorder but a person like myself that walked into the store 7 months prior cash in hand ready to reserve a unit got screwed! I was pissed and as a consumer I choose to not shop there any longer.

I wrote a letter and called the corporate offiice complaining about their policy on this. I thought about chewing out the managers at the stores near me but I decided against it because it really wasn't their fault from what I could tell. This last second preorder procedure seemed like it came down from the head honchos and the store managers had no control over it.

I think some Gamestop do sell used game as new but not all.

I remember trading in Dragon Quest VIII during there trade 3 get $10 deal. Well I came back the next day to trade in some more games and found they have a new Dragon Quest VIII for sale that wasn't perviously there before. Whats funny is that this new copy have the some rip and wear mark on the outer box as my old copy.

[quote name='MaskedPlague']Way to stick it to them. You get bad service, and then you go ahead and buy the game. I am sure BB, Wal-Mart, or CC had the game.[/QUOTE]

Yeah I should have left the store or refused to shop there, but the kid was there and he had his heart set on the game. It was 8:40 PM and all the local retailers close at 9, so I did not have much of a choice.

[quote name='6669']This week's "(retail store) sucks" thread brought to you by hardwo0d.[/QUOTE]

40 minutes later, and I still lol'ed.

I like how both EB and GS use the excuse "oh, we can't actually leave the games in the boxes, they would walk out the door" when questioned about "new" games on the shelf that they have opened, removed the carts to behind the counter, and tagged the case with a "new" sticker. Mostly done w/ DS, GBA and PSP games, the argument makes some sense, but most other retailers take of that with door sensors. I am always suspect of a opened game being sold as new, and if it's something I really want to be sure is 100% new, I will buy it elsewhere.

I truthfully don't see what the big deal is: typically if you pre order you get a new, sealed copy. If you get a game the day it comes out, the same also happens

Other wise, it's theft prevention, display purposes, and quality control..[do you know many times I've heard the old "the disc was missing" line at Wal-Mart?]

I have also seen employees check-out games. The week after the PS3 and Wii came out I heard an employee say thet he returned madden allready for the PS3 and wanted Resistence and Zelda. The manager told him he had to have the games back by the morning of the 3rd day. This store had no used copies of ps3 or wii games. I even called them after I got home and asked if they had any used ps3 or wii games yet. The manager laughed and said no, the systems had just came out and no one had traded any in yet.
Soooo, where did these games come from? I guess display and gutted boxes. Soooo, this makes the new games used. How is this even legal?
Does anyone else know of anything else like this?

I'd have to say that the managers that are selling used as new are fucking dumbasses. Corporate couldn't give much of a rats ass on new sales. If the store only sold used merchandise that day, they would kiss your ass like no tomorrow. Used = HIGH PROFIT (you all know trade values) while new has a very small margin or profit in comparison.

And the person that said sensors would help... they wouldn't. They'd know that product left, they'd know what the person looks like, but the chances of actually catching someone are slim to none. Chasing someone who stole something/set off the sensor puts others at risk as well as the employee too. So the thief gets away with whatever they took while the sensor keeps going off. Taking the game out of the case prevents any of this from happening at all.

[quote name='Michaellvortega'] Here is a EB/GS experience today.,

My 360 was giving me disc read errors. So I decided to go exchange it with my PRP.

ME:I'm having problems with my 360 and I'd like to use my PRP.
EB lady: ok................. but you don't have your paper work
Me: It's in the box along with everything that originally came with it.
EB lady: (looks at receipt) You bought this in April of 2006, you have to wait for the MS warranty to run out first before you can use our PRP. (turns to co-workers) how long is the Ms warranty?
ME:what are you talking about? I have bought and used many systems and PRPs and that's not how they were explained or used in the past.
EB lady: That's how the PRP works, that's how it's always been and who ever told you otherwise is a idiot.
ME: well I want a replacement unit now.
EB lady: sorry you have to use your MS warranty first.
ME: You know what? don't worry about it, I'll call corporate and make it their problem.
Eb lady: wait..............I'll take care of you this time but you have to buy another PRP.
ME: no that's OK.(I walk out)

I then drove 10 mins down the road to another GS and they exchange it, no questions asked, in and out in under 5 minutes.

Can any GS/EB workers tell me if she was wrong or what?[/quote]
She was wrong in that the customer has to use the MS warranty first. The customer can use the GS PRP, but you must pay for the PRP again if you want another.

That's why I don't buy new games from them. The last new game I got from them was RE4 for GC. Like you described, "new" was them fishing it out of the used drawer in a paper sleeve. When I got home and checked the discs, both were scratched. I took them back and they wouldn't give me a REAL new one. One of the employees probably took the discs home, played them, and scratched them in the process. I've heard stories of employees taking games home. I usually stick to GameCrazy (they keep their new games NEW) and the net for new games.

And yes, they do suck.

Yeah, GameStop/EB sucks hard.

I heard about the "check a game out and return it" deal, since I was going to apply to work there earlier. I decided the near minimum wage wasn't worth it, even with the employee perks.

I only get preorder games from them now, like my Legendary edition of Halo 3 I preordered a while ago. You have no idea how badly it burned my ass to give them that $25, but it's the last bit of money they'll be getting from me for a while.

they have been doing this for as long as i can remember which is 9th grade. that was around 6 years ago? well i bet they have been doing that longer. im not sure what their policy is now, but people used to return games very soon after buying, so gamestop would just re-shrinkwrap them and sell 'em to unsuspecting customers. you'd think that would be illegal because it is an obvious misrepresentation of the product--it probably is illegal i hope.
managers who work there get crappy pay, maybe commission based on sales, so it would seem acceptable for the higher ups to allow such behaviour. anyway they have been doing it for a while, but it doesn't seem like they are stopping. AND the answer is simple: tell them to go fuck themselves, then head over to another store.

OH YEAH. That reminds me. I remember preordering two games a while back, but I never picked them up. I think it had almost been two years since I had been to that specific eb games. I had saved the receipt, as i do with most, then headed out to go buy a used network adapter for my ps2 and hopefully pay the $5 difference between the credit I'd be able to redeem. The clerk mentioned some bullshit about the gs/eb merger in which everything was reset or something along those lines, so my information was no longer there. I had the receipt so I argued with him for a while, eventually asked to speak to a manager, but he was the only one there in that small ass store--it might be the smallest EB ever. anywho, i just told him that it was bullshit and i'd be contacting the store again to speak to a manager in the very near future. I never followed it up tho and I didnt buy the network adapter from those pigs.

when i went to buy splinter cell:DA the day it came out, all they had was the display copy that one of the employees was playing in the back.

... i paid the 10 extra dollars for the CE just because it was new.

i only buy used games there, if anything. i mostly stick to finding deals or just heading to target/walmart/meijer

[quote name='GTZ_NSR'] I usually stick to GameCrazy (they keep their new games NEW) and the net for new games.

[/QUOTE]

In your experience, maybe. I've found that GC's tend to have many opened "new" games as well because of their "try it first" policy. I'm sure some of these were "rented" by employees at times too. The last 2 or 3 new games I've bought there have been opened and used (and yes, I did buy them because they were sale games or hard to find, so I didn't mind). They are certainly no better about it than EB/GS, except that they don't feel the need to gut 6 copies of a game to plaster on the wall :roll:.

theres a gamestop here thats out in the middle of nowhere that if they have too much copies of something new, they say corporate tells them to mark some of them used. I was in there and saw a 360 wireless usb adapter for 69.99 still in the case and everything brand new, and asked about it and they said it was just something they were told to do cause of too many copies, so I guess that would be cool if it happened with games. :/

In all these threads there's always been something about how the employees play the gutted games, which I believe they probably do, but how come no CAGs who work/have worked there have said anything about actually doing that? Or actually shrinkwrapping the games which I know they do.

I decided to post a message because Gamestop is a horrible store and their website is really bad. I would not order anything off their website unless it is new.

They sent me 2 games that were mangled beyond belief with screwed up cases,stickers, etc. Let me elaborate on my last order with them because it is the worst.

I bought a Dynasty Warriors 3 game used from the website during a 25% off promo. It took me 9 days to get the game so I was already upset with them.
I opened the box and all I could smell is cat piss coming from the game.

I opened the game case and there was cat piss stains on the manual so I drove it to my local store. He said my cat did it but I do not have a cat so I argued. I eventually got a good copy but the whole deal was not right from the beginning.

Why do they buy games with cat piss on them?

Thats my complaint about GS and I have not shopped with them since.

[quote name='sendmesomegames']I decided to post a message because Gamestop is a horrible store and their website is really bad. I would not order anything off their website unless it is new.

They sent me 2 games that were mangled beyond belief with screwed up cases,stickers, etc. Let me elaborate on my last order with them because it is the worst.

I bought a Dynasty Warriors 3 game used from the website during a 25% off promo. It took me 9 days to get the game so I was already upset with them.
I opened the box and all I could smell is cat piss coming from the game.

I opened the game case and there was cat piss stains on the manual so I drove it to my local store. He said my cat did it but I do not have a cat so I argued. I eventually got a good copy but the whole deal was not right from the beginning.

Thats my complaint about GS and I have not shopped with them since.[/quote]

Maybe you bought the Dynasty Warrior 3 CP edition and didn't realize it. The cat piss was a special edition bonus. Consider yourself lucky... :lol:

Just joking that is horrible to get games in that condition but for them it doesn't surprise me. Back when I worked for them (they were Funcoland) I used to turn down 75% of the games people tried to trade in. People would bring in stained cartridges with no labels and stacks of CDs with no jewel case or manuals. The actual disc surface looked like they had been washed with Comet and a steel wool scrubber.

I would not take any games at my store unless they were in good enough shape that I would buy it.

I liked it better when EB was a seperate company because the service was better and their used games were in good shape. I also kind of miss Babbages because I got alot of good deals there along time ago.

Boy the game store scene anymore really does suck when GS can buy everyone out. I just don't shop at any of them anymore because of stuff like that.

i dont like eb or gs, but i did find a RE zero thier for under 10$, and the disks were very new looking, it also had the book.

I only go for used games, not new games, and i insist i see the disk first. I also got legeand of mana for under the normal used ebay price and even the online store price.

[quote name='sendmesomegames']

Thats my complaint about GS and I have not shopped with them since.[/QUOTE]

How can you be sure it was cat piss? Especially if you don't even have a cat? :rofl:. I'm not saying it wasn't horrible, but it could have been even worse than you imagined (ie, from some dude)!

Gamestop/EBgames is last resort for me when it comes to new games, only used games from them and lately I'm kind of regretting even buying games there these days. Bought a copy of Golden Sun and it looks like a legitimate copy, but the game crashed once. I have never had a gameboy advance game crash on me before, so I'm still a little debating if it is worth it to even shop there.

[quote name='kmartbum001']OH YEAH. That reminds me. I remember preordering two games a while back, but I never picked them up. I think it had almost been two years since I had been to that specific eb games. I had saved the receipt, as i do with most, then headed out to go buy a used network adapter for my ps2 and hopefully pay the $5 difference between the credit I'd be able to redeem. The clerk mentioned some bullshit about the gs/eb merger in which everything was reset or something along those lines, so my information was no longer there. I had the receipt so I argued with him for a while, eventually asked to speak to a manager, but he was the only one there in that small ass store--it might be the smallest EB ever. anywho, i just told him that it was bullshit and i'd be contacting the store again to speak to a manager in the very near future. I never followed it up tho and I didnt buy the network adapter from those pigs.[/QUOTE]
I had the same problem. I pre-ordered WoW:BC back in Dec 05, and when Blizzard announced in October 06 that they were going to have a Collector's Edition. I immediately called them and asked if I could upgrade to the CE version. Gave them my name and still had the receipt (thank god). They couldnt find it.

So he told me to come to the store and he'd fix everything. They mentioned they've had a few problems with the EB/GS merger, but he was able to call the corporate headquarters and re-enter my pre-order.

In conclusion... My local EB/GS have been pretty good on pre-orders but sometimes they screw up, they are only human and I still shop there.

Best thing to do is either don't shop there or just take a very close look at anything you buy in the store before you leave. If you buy a new game and it looks re-sealed just ask for another one until you get one that is actually new.

Yah, their new games are opened and played by the employees and at Game Crazy their new games are opened and played by the customers. I don't have that big of a problem with it...but they should give you 10% off for an open copy like a lot stores do with open box items. Then people would actually REQUEST the open copies to save $5 on a $50 game.

I hate complaining on an internet forum but I have had a similar thing happen to me before. A new EB opened up near me and I went in one day just to check it out, well I ended up buying Hulk Ultimate Destruction, Shadow of the Colosus, and God of War, all new. Wel for some reason "new" at that EB is "we take the game and manuals out and put the box on the shelf with a horrible impossible to remove sticker." Needless to say I wasn't very happy with that procedure they have there and haven't been back since.

[quote name='allout1986']I'd have to say that the managers that are selling used as new are fucking dumbasses. Corporate couldn't give much of a rats ass on new sales. If the store only sold used merchandise that day, they would kiss your ass like no tomorrow. Used = HIGH PROFIT (you all know trade values) while new has a very small margin or profit in comparison.[/quote]

You say that like corporate isn't in on it. If they buy a used game for $15 and can sell it for used at 35, thats a nice $20 profit. However, why not just commit fraud and sell it 'new' at 40/45?

They track all their inventory with computers right? Don't you think corporate would find it odd that store X has 0 of game Y instock one day, doesn't recieve a shipment but still manages to sell game Y as new the next day?

[quote name='hlb96']How is this even legal?
Does anyone else know of anything else like this?[/quote]
It's not legal. They've been sued for it before.

bread's done
Back