Gamestop Refurbished 250GB Playstation 3 slim $200

[quote name='Royal High Knight']How is used ps3 consoles from GS? I know used 360's are a major risk.[/QUOTE]

For $50 more, you can get a new one :drool::drool::joystick::joystick:

Thanks for the effort OP.

But seeing as how Sony just dropped the MSRP of the current standalone PS3 slims to $249.99 a day or two ago(Joystiq ) this deal just doesn't seem that good. This is especially true since you can upgrade your PS3's hard drive yourself with any 2.5" 5400rpm SATA laptop hard drive, meaning you don't even have to settle for the space the factory installed hdd gives you.

[quote name='orale1226']For $50 more, you can get a new one :drool::drool::joystick::joystick:[/QUOTE]

if im asking for a used one then Im not that intrested in a new one. Plus the used has 90 more GB even though I highly doubt I could ever use that much storage between the date of purchase and the eventual release of the ps4. I only ask to know if I should get it now or wait until Black friday.

[quote name='Royal High Knight']if im asking for a used one then Im not that intrested in a new one. Plus the used has 90 more GB even though I highly doubt I could ever use that much storage between the date of purchase and the eventual release of the ps4. I only ask to know if I should get it now or wait until Black friday.[/QUOTE]
ALL(or most) systems traded into Gamestop are likely lemons that people trade in ONLY because they're dying or have some other major defect. It took me going through FIVE PS2's last gen to find ONE used one that worked halfway decent. If they still have such standards of quality for stuff they take in, then I'd say you're still better off just buying new.

You have to just look at their used game racks to see what kinda 'quality' merchandise they take in(i.e. coverless, scratched to shit games).

Don't get me wrong, you may get lucky and get a good system that someone babied. But chances are you have better odds of getting a system someone abused and left on 24/7 in a home filled with cigarette smoke and 20 cats that'll fail on you within 2 months.

If you should decide to buy a used system and then buy an aftermarket warranty from someplace like Squaretrade, then you're likely paying OVER what it costs for a new console at this point.

We're not trying to be dicks by saying to buy new. You just have to think is it better to save $50 now and get a possible headache of a system that's out of warranty and end up maybe spending $150 getting it repaired from Sony(thus costing more than a new system again) if it breaks....or spend the extra $50 and have no worries for at least the first year.

I know what I would definitely decide to do. But if your mind is made up then there's no talking you out of it. Good luck either way.

FYI: Target has a deal right now where you get a 'free' copy of Uncharted 2 GOTY when buying a new 160gb PS3. That's a $30 game included with the system and it's one of the better games for the PS3.

Also if you don't need a PS3 right this second, I always see tons of deals on theme. I remember for an entire month every single seller was giving away a 100 dollar discount before the price drop.

I got a black ops bundle+2 free games+100 dollar giftcard. Bought 2 of them sold the second and ending up making a profit + a ps3 with games.

Basically just saying, that I think you will find a A LOT better deal then taking a risk with a used PS3 for 200. If you need the extra storage, the hardrives are pretty cheap from what I remember.

[quote name='IAmTheCheapestGamer']ALL(or most) systems traded into Gamestop are likely lemons that people trade in ONLY because they're dying or have some other major defect. It took me going through FIVE PS2's last gen to find ONE used one that worked halfway decent. If they still have such standards of quality for stuff they take in, then I'd say you're still better off just buying new.

You have to just look at their used game racks to see what kinda 'quality' merchandise they take in(i.e. coverless, scratched to shit games).

Don't get me wrong, you may get lucky and get a good system that someone babied. But chances are you have better odds of getting a system someone abused and left on 24/7 in a home filled with cigarette smoke and 20 cats that'll fail on you within 2 months.

If you should decide to buy a used system and then buy an aftermarket warranty from someplace like Squaretrade, then you're likely paying OVER what it costs for a new console at this point.

We're not trying to be dicks by saying to buy new. You just have to think is it better to save $50 now and get a possible headache of a system that's out of warranty and end up maybe spending $150 getting it repaired from Sony(thus costing more than a new system again) if it breaks....or spend the extra $50 and have no worries for at least the first year.

I know what I would definitely decide to do. But if your mind is made up then there's no talking you out of it. Good luck either way.

FYI: Target has a deal right now where you get a 'free' copy of Uncharted 2 GOTY when buying a new 160gb PS3. That's a $30 game included with the system and it's one of the better games for the PS3.[/QUOTE]

Thank you sir for that response. Yeah your right about GS and their used items. I take care of my stuff so i hate when I sell my things and buy something used, I get some crappy quality in exchange. I'll play with the 360 for a few more months then on Black Friday I'll be the proud owner of a new ps3 hopefully. I only wait for black friday because if i buy one right away i won't own a single game for that damn system.

[quote name='Royal High Knight']How is used ps3 consoles from GS? I know used 360's are a major risk.[/QUOTE]

For 50 more you can buy a brand new one. Unless you could get one for from a stored used for like less than half its not even worth it to me.

Game systems, tvs, computer parts or anything even semi high end Id never buy used unless I got some crazy deal and a lengthy warranty.

Besides the testing lengths of a system for lamestop is turning it on. It could overheat in a month or die and then youd be stuck.

Not to mention I hate lamestop to begin with.

I was thinking of picking this up, but I would gladly dish out the extra 50 to guarantee I am getting a more reliable piece of equipment.

[quote name='Composure']I was thinking of picking this up, but I would gladly dish out the extra 50 to guarantee I am getting a more reliable piece of equipment.[/QUOTE]

Very true.

[quote name='Royal High Knight']if im asking for a used one then Im not that intrested in a new one. Plus the used has 90 more GB even though I highly doubt I could ever use that much storage between the date of purchase and the eventual release of the ps4. I only ask to know if I should get it now or wait until Black friday.[/QUOTE]

When you factor in taxes, it's better to buy a new one online from Amazon, etc.. You're saving what? like $40 or so. Is that worth the risk of having a system go bad after 6 months? If you can't spend that much now for a new then by all means wait till BF or another deal, but ultimately I'd say buy it new.

The additional GB's are obviously not a factor since you probably wouldn't use 160GB anyway, and you could always swap out for cheap anyway

[quote name='ssjmichael']When you factor in taxes, it's better to buy a new one online from Amazon, etc.. You're saving what? like $40 or so. Is that worth the risk of having a system go bad after 6 months? If you can't spend that much now for a new then by all means wait till BF or another deal, but ultimately I'd say buy it new.

The additional GB's are obviously not a factor since you probably wouldn't use 160GB anyway, and you could always swap out for cheap anyway[/QUOTE]

You'd be surprised how fast a PS3 hard drive fills up. Frickin' mandatory installs kill it fast. DCUO for example used 15 GB and MGS4 used 2 or 3. If you have PS+ and want to take advantage of the free games, you really need space. I have a launch 60 GB and have had to delete a bunch of stuff because I am too lazy to upgrade to the larger hard drive I have sitting around.

I am not saying whether this is a good deal or not, but just be aware that when it comes to the PS3, you can't have too much hard drive space.

I see cheapeast mentioned square trade, they don't cover used consoles unless it's bought on ebay, but they do cover refubished items as far as I know. Still yeah I wouldn't go with a refurbished one, I personally had bestbuy give me 3 refurbished PS3s. A 4th repair was needed and they gave me a new one on the spot.

[quote name='Stryffe2004']You'd be surprised how fast a PS3 hard drive fills up. Frickin' mandatory installs kill it fast. DCUO for example used 15 GB and MGS4 used 2 or 3. If you have PS+ and want to take advantage of the free games, you really need space. I have a launch 60 GB and have had to delete a bunch of stuff because I am too lazy to upgrade to the larger hard drive I have sitting around.

I am not saying whether this is a good deal or not, but just be aware that when it comes to the PS3, you can't have too much hard drive space.[/QUOTE]

I agree that it can be easy to fill up and was just mentioning that the other day to someone considering one. I got an 80GB 3 years ago and it's nearly full with the install data, PSN games (I also have Plus) and ME2 which takes up around 13 gigs. But despite that, I still think 160GB should be just fine for most people using one.

Just so you guys know I had the 60 gig model, an upgraded it to a 320 gb HDD, and while the copy and transfer of data isn't difficult, it does take a long time (overnight) to transfer data, and many games had locked saves which could never been transferred (though I believe Psn plus fixes this), and you still need to redownload all your games off of psn again. So it's truly a hassle, so I would recommend upgading your HDD ASAP before you have a ton of content to move over because it is a but frustrating. As a side note that ps3 got ylod an was repaired twice before they called it a lemon, got money for a new ps3 but they never sent me back my 320 HDD, so be wary of that happening to you, I even spoke with the manager and said I would gladly ship the original 60 gig drive back, but they still said they wouldn't ship the 320gb HDD back, so frustrating. Anyways I now have a slim ps3 120 gb and want to upgrade bandit cause it's full again, but I don't want anymore hassle. Sorry such a long story.

[quote name='Mattx510']Just so you guys know I had the 60 gig model, an upgraded it to a 320 gb HDD, and while the copy and transfer of data isn't difficult, it does take a long time (overnight) to transfer data, and many games had locked saves which could never been transferred (though I believe Psn plus fixes this), and you still need to redownload all your games off of psn again. So it's truly a hassle, so I would recommend upgading your HDD ASAP before you have a ton of content to move over because it is a but frustrating. As a side note that ps3 got ylod an was repaired twice before they called it a lemon, got money for a new ps3 but they never sent me back my 320 HDD, so be wary of that happening to you, I even spoke with the manager and said I would gladly ship the original 60 gig drive back, but they still said they wouldn't ship the 320gb HDD back, so frustrating. Anyways I now have a slim ps3 120 gb and want to upgrade bandit cause it's full again, but I don't want anymore hassle. Sorry such a long story.[/QUOTE]
That's why you're supposed to swap the original hdd back into the system BEFORE sending it out for repairs to Sony.;)

I asked them in store about this and gamestop says these are from refurbished from Sony that is why it's considered new...

[quote name='Mishimaryu']I asked them in store about this and gamestop says these are from refurbished from Sony that is why it's considered new...[/QUOTE]

I remember people getting fatties refurbished by Sony due to YLOD and they failed after a few months so be weary.

bread's done
Back