Gamestop Refuses To Honor Their Own Ad For GRAW2!

DirkBelig

CAGiversary!
Feedback
14 (100%)
Like probably everyone here, I got the Gamestop In-Store Specials e-mail last Friday (1/4) listing the deals for 1/4-1/10. Click over to the full ad page and see that their "Used Deal of the Week" is for GRAW2 (X360) for $19.99, reg. $29.99. Cool!

Not really.

I went to store #4252 in the Eastland Mall (Harper Woods, MI) on Saturday afternoon and picked up a copy, but when they rang it up with my Edge card, it came to over $27. Huh? I told them that it was supposed to be $20 and they said I needed to print the coupon from the ad. "But it's from the web site part of the ad, not the coupon at the bottom of the e-mail," I protested. They didn't know anything about the sale; it wasn't in the computer; get lost.

Jump forward to tonight and store #580 in Dearborn, MI. Go in, get game, get clean copy, give Edge card, get charged $27+tax. WTF?!?!? Tell them about the ad and they haven't heard of it either. I work a quarter-mile away and decide to go back and print out the fucking ad. Download the PDF version, print the first page, and take it back.

Idiot clerk looks it over and says, "This is for online deals only." I point out where it says "Subject to Availability by Location" and how all the deals say to "Call Ahead For Availability." Then Bozo says, "You need the original."

What the fuck?!?!? "This is the only way it comes. It came straight from the site this way! Do you think I made this up?!?" The product of many generations of inbreeding merely mumbled that he couldn't do anything because he never heard of it. Another waste of air and space silently looked on. No one thought to do anything to satisfy the customer.

Well, now I'm pissed and when I'm pissed, people start to suffer. Badly. Looked up the store numbers and called the Customer Service Center at 1-800-883-8895 and spoke to a very nice girl. She takes down my information and puts me on hold for a few minutes and then comes back to say that they're making a formal complaint about this with the TWO District Managers responsible for these stores. If I don't hear from them within a week, I'm supposed to call back and they'll kick it up another notch.

Has anyone else had a problem with this deal or is the Detroit area more cursed than usual? I know it's common to bag on the mouth-breather clerks at our gaming retail emporiums, but I've never run into a mess like this before. Clerks are either OK or generally useless, but this was an all-time case of stuck on stupid behavior.

I'll keep this updated as events warrant.

[quote name='thelazyone22']Seems like a lot of fuss and work over $10, but not honoring the ad is just Gamestop being Gamestop.

[/QUOTE]Send me $10 and I'll drop it, Daddy Warbucks.

Fortunately, I was going to the mall and to work anyways so it's not as if I drove an hour to get the blowoff. They should honor their advertising. If I wanted to be a real menace, I'd contact the State's Attorney General and let them know what's up.

This is pretty terrible. I had a guy in Gamestop that made up lie after contradicting lies whenever I proved him wrong about their trade policy.
It's funny how they will make up different things up how they go along.

I doubt Corp. will care.
They are complete ass holes.
I've been lied to like no other, yet, nothing changes.
No matter how many people complain/bitch

[quote name='thelazyone22']Seems like a lot of fuss and work over $10, but not honoring the ad is just Gamestop being Gamestop.

[/quote]

It's the principle of the matter. I'm sure it'd still raise a lot of hell if they advertised a game at $5 and refused to charge anything less than $6...especially with Gamestop, this kind of stuff can't just be ignored.

If they get away with this, it's a slippery slope

outside of possibly niche titles, people should just stop shopping there, i mean really what is the point, all other full retail releases and accessories can pretty much be bought at almost any other major chain retailer like wal-mart, bb, cc, etc

the crowd they would keep (used) would destroy what they've become (a giant growing business force), they'd still exist but their profits and business as a whole would go way down hill

anyone that's going to pay full price for anything shouldn't even bother shopping there and giving them any business

[/quote]

and did you notice the URL of the site that you're at?? $10 is more than some people make in an hour at their job...

Offers valid 1/4/08 through 1/10/08, unless otherwise noted. Offers and prices valid in Continental U.S. only. All prices in U.S. dollars. Offers cannot be combined with any other offer or discount. Some offers not valid on Gamestop.com or EBgames.com. Selection may vary by store. All dates and prices are subject to change. Not responsible for typographical errors, price variances or manufacturer delays. PC products not available in all stores. All offers are available while supplies last. Rain checks will not be issued. No product substitutions are allowed. See sales associate for complete details. © 2007 Gamestop, Inc.

They will probably nail you on the above statement marked in RED. They will say that it was an error in their ad, it was supposed to be GRAW and NOT GRAW 2. You watch, it'll happen. Circuit City isn't the only ahole company to pull the old bait n switch.

I always wondered if someone would get the "you have to bring in the original" on the email ads. I guess its finally happened. I'd love to see someone take their desktop tower, and monitor, put them up on the desk and say 'Heres my Original".

I guess a laptop would do well too, but they'll probably then say that its still a fake (even though if you use the web link, it has gamestop in the address bar)

Gamestop runs so many different promos that it's very common for the workers there to not know what specials are going on at any given time. Very frustrating.

I guess to look at it from the clerk's perspective he probably expects that if GS is really running a sale on GRAW2 it should come up automatically at the sale price in the computer. Since it didn't and he hasn't heard of the sale he was probably nervous about getting his ass chewed out for doing an override. Still the store should have at least somebody there at all times with the authority and confidence to make that decision.

[/quote] hes one of the many that will try to get a deal at gamestop for that game. so if they sent that email to 50,000 people im pretty sure more than 10,000 of them will try to get that deal. there is more to the equation than just saying "too bad, you should expect it from gamestop" bs.

also, the fact that they never knew about THEIR own coupons drives me crazy. i almost took advantage of that gamecube deal for $39 before but i knew the clerks would never give it up without fuss.

GS = Gamestop which could also translate to Generally Stupid

I called corporate a couple years ago when my local stores were automatically adding the $3.00 Product Replacement Guarantee without asking if you wanted it. When I added up my purchases in the parking lot, I knew something was wrong. I went back & told the clerk I was pretty sure it was illegal to add fees without asking if they were wanted and his reply was "I told you you were covered for a year when I gave you your games".

Anyways, I called corporate, and they were really nice & said the Disctrict Manager would call me in about 2 business days.

About 6 weeks later, the district manager called me (he said he was on vacation- I guess you get 6 week vacations at Gamestop) and was so sweet & apologetic, saying the clerk was misinformed & has been retrained, that's not how he runs his stores, yadda yadda.

I go back in the next week & they're STILL adding on the PRG without asking customers. So I ask a manager that I sort of knew, and he said they were told by the district manager to automatically add it in without telling anyone, or he would fire them. Corporate got a few complaints, but since he had the highest attachment rates for PRG's in the company, they wouldn't do anything to him.

Since Gamestop was making more money, they didn't correct it.

From my personal experience, the store in Dearborn is the worst one around. The employees are lazy, the managers don't do shit, the place is always dirty, and stuff like the what happed to the OP happens all the time.

That is bullshit that they're trying to jerk you around though. It just shows how anybody can get a job there, and as soon as they do they turn into an asshole.

[quote name='nsdcx']From my personal experience, the store in Dearborn is the worst one around. The employees are lazy, the managers don't do shit, the place is always dirty, and stuff like the what happed to the OP happens all the time.

That is bullshit that they're trying to jerk you around though. It just shows how anybody can get a job there, and as soon as they do they turn into an asshole.[/quote]

:lol: :lol:

Guess I'd make a perfect GS employee then, since I've got the asshole thing down to a fine art.

The one at Ford and Mercury Dr. in the center with Beast Buy? That's the one from last night. I know a guy who's tight with the clerks there, but he hasn't been online since this happened, so I haven't talked to him about it.

re: The typo defense - They didn't try that, probably because they knew the "It's not in the computer. I've never seen this ad. Does not compute." was working well enough. Also, the game is regular $30 as the ad stated. This isn't like trying to get a CE/LE of a game for the regular price because they had the wrong case art in the ad.

In the defense of the first clerk, if I had the ad, he may've done something or maybe he wouldn't have. He just didn't know about it. Last night's doofus was spinning excuses every which way to get out of making a decision.

Feeling belligerent (what else?), I took my printout and hit the store on Southfield btwn. 12 & 13 Mile Rd. on my way home. Clerk rings it up and asks for $27. I tell him it's supposed to be $20 and pull out the ad. He looks it over and says to the girl he works with, "Gee, thanks for telling us about the sales, guys." and proceeds to do some register-fu, taking off the Edge discount and coming up with a final price of $19.08 out the door. VICTORY!!!

After finishing the transaction, I told him my sorry tale of woe and he just shook his head. When I told him about asking if the dope thought I'd faked the ad, he said, "With the level of production quality of that sheet, I'd have given you the discount even if it was fake, considering the work you'd done." He had no idea why the other stores didn't just adjust the price and said if I wanted to give a positive feedback for their place and his service, the address was on the receipt. I'm going to do that.

A toast to Stephen at Gamestop in the Southfield Plaza. Huzzah!!!

I wonder when/if the District Managers are going to call?

[quote name='DirkBelig']He had no idea why the other stores didn't just adjust the price and said if I wanted to give a positive feedback for their place and his service, the address was on the receipt. I'm going to do that.

A toast to Stephen at Gamestop in the Southfield Plaza. Huzzah!!!

I wonder when/if the District Managers are going to call?[/quote] We should nominate Stephen for GS employee of the year. They dont have such a thing because their employees are morons.

and about the DM, he'll get back to you in 6 weeks, hes on vacation.

"MMMMM.. being a jerk pays off"
400px-Man_sitting_under_beach_umbrella.JPG

Congrats man, I HATE that gamestop in dearborn (don't like the ones in fairlane either). Don't hold your breath on the district managers though, I went through some heavy shit at that location before and it looks like it hasn't been solved (got into a fight with a manager after he droped my new copy of CoD4 when I had already bought it and he thought that shit was funny).

I only stick to the westland locations now unfortunately. But still congrats on getting your game tho' man.

The DM for the Eastland store just called and he said the problem was that the employees were unaware of the web promotions and that they'd try to get them interested in knowing WTF is going on at their work. He said he'd honor the price, but I told him I'd already gotten it from a store staffed with people with IQs above room temperature.

[quote name='DirkBelig']"You need the original."
[/QUOTE]

That's when it'd be ideal to have an iPhone, so you could whip it out, show them your email inbox, and be all "its right here mother fucker"

[quote name='Haggar']I called corporate a couple years ago when my local stores were automatically adding the $3.00 Product Replacement Guarantee without asking if you wanted it. When I added up my purchases in the parking lot, I knew something was wrong. I went back & told the clerk I was pretty sure it was illegal to add fees without asking if they were wanted and his reply was "I told you you were covered for a year when I gave you your games".

Anyways, I called corporate, and they were really nice & said the Disctrict Manager would call me in about 2 business days.

About 6 weeks later, the district manager called me (he said he was on vacation- I guess you get 6 week vacations at Gamestop) and was so sweet & apologetic, saying the clerk was misinformed & has been retrained, that's not how he runs his stores, yadda yadda.

I go back in the next week & they're STILL adding on the PRG without asking customers. So I ask a manager that I sort of knew, and he said they were told by the district manager to automatically add it in without telling anyone, or he would fire them. Corporate got a few complaints, but since he had the highest attachment rates for PRG's in the company, they wouldn't do anything to him.

Since Gamestop was making more money, they didn't correct it.[/QUOTE]

Yeah, it's totally illegal to bundle products and services, let alone without the customers okay.

The DM for the Dearborn store called today, so all of you who had "6 weeks to never" in the pool lose.

She asked me to described the clerks and told me that the problem was not only that corporate is bad about keeping the stores updated as to what the promotions are, they didn't download the price changes into the system and that's what started this whole clusterfuck in the first place. (BTW: I don't normally swear like this, but I love the way it handles the f-bomb here.)

She said that the employees should've asked the manager on hand what to do about it and apologized. I told her I'd gotten the game elsewhere and it worked out, but it was a PITMFA to get it done.

I'm sure the next time I set foot in the Dearborn store, that clerk will leap across the counter screaming, "I kill you muthafucka!!!!" since who else would complain about this? Nice knowing y'all!

bread's done
Back