Gamestop Return Policy Question

Sockey

CAGiversary!
Feedback
3 (100%)
Yesterday I picked up SC: DA for the XBox 360. I had never really played a Splinter Cell game for more than 5 minutes before so I was excited to try it out. After playing through the first level I started experiencing freezes. I am pretty sure the problem is not the system since I dont experience any freezing with my other games. Now I looked at my receipt and it says opened games can be exhanged for an identical item within seven days. Now I know I could definantly go back and get another copy of Splinter Cell which would hopefully not freeze on my system. The thing is, I wasn't really feeling Splinter Cell when I was playing and it just doesn't seem to be my type of game. So I was wondering if they would let me exchange it for credit and buy a different game even though it is open (I was thinking OKami). Now im not exactly familiar with Gamestop's policies and I can understand the reasons they would have for prohibiting this (people trying out several different games/ using GS like a rental store).

Anyway I was wondering if any CAGs have had simillar experiences? Thanks in advance for any help.

It's actually a legal thing - they can't.

You purchased a license to use the code developed by Ubisoft (or whoever). You don't own the code, you own the right to use it. So, if they'd trade your disc of code for another disc of code, it'd be immoral since you're not licensed to use that other code.

I think the same thing applies to music, movies, etc. You purchase a license, the code itself still belongs to the creators so you don't have the authority to sell/trade it.

At least, that's how I understand it. I could be way off base. I think there are a couple lawyers here.

[quote name='Sockey']Yesterday I picked up SC: DA for the XBox 360. I had never really played a Splinter Cell game for more than 5 minutes before so I was excited to try it out. After playing through the first level I started experiencing freezes. I am pretty sure the problem is not the system since I dont experience any freezing with my other games. Now I looked at my receipt and it says opened games can be exhanged for an identical item within seven days. Now I know I could definantly go back and get another copy of Splinter Cell which would hopefully not freeze on my system. The thing is, I wasn't really feeling Splinter Cell when I was playing and it just doesn't seem to be my type of game. So I was wondering if they would let me exchange it for credit and buy a different game even though it is open (I was thinking OKami). Now im not exactly familiar with Gamestop's policies and I can understand the reasons they would have for prohibiting this (people trying out several different games/ using GS like a rental store).

Anyway I was wondering if any CAGs have had simillar experiences? Thanks in advance for any help.[/QUOTE]

Umm, I've done several full exchanges, they usually just issue me store credit. Pretty much, say, "I want to exchange" or describe some sort of problem that may be happening [such as your freezes] and say you simply don't want to deal with it.

It helps if you're a frequent customer and have a more card.

Ok well thanks for your responses... I know Ive done full exchanges with used games before, but I am sure thats a different story. I guess I could go try and if they don't let me Ill just take another copy of the SC: DA game...

[quote name='Sockey']Ok well thanks for your responses... I know Ive done full exchanges with used games before, but I am sure thats a different story. I guess I could go try and if they don't let me Ill just take another copy of the SC: DA game...[/QUOTE]

Just tell them that you can't see why you'd have a problem, and that you don't want another copy of the same game because you don't feel like having to schlep all the way back over there when that one (theoretically) doesn't work either. Let them know a store credit refund is fine, and get your Okami!

I work at GameStop and I would have no problem doing that for someone, even if they had the same motives as you. Technically, you're supposed to get another copy of SC, but if it didn't work, you can try the above complaint and come away with a full refund (in store credit).

[quote name='Sockey']Ok well thanks for your responses... I know Ive done full exchanges with used games before, but I am sure thats a different story. I guess I could go try and if they don't let me Ill just take another copy of the SC: DA game...[/QUOTE]

That's your best bet IMO. Just be personable and they might let you do it.

Ok Thankyou everybody for all your responses. Gamestop refuesd to exchange for Okami so I got a brand new SC: DA. I did however return it to another store *cough* walmart *cough* to get Okami. (Sorry, I do know how some CAGs feel about this...)

[quote name='Sockey']Ok Thankyou everybody for all your responses. Gamestop refuesd to exchange for Okami so I got a brand new SC: DA. I did however return it to another store *cough* walmart *cough* to get Okami. (Sorry, I do know how some CAGs feel about this...)[/quote]

You realize that we look down on that because it's fraud, right?

Yes, thats why I put that note at the end. Anyway I would prefer not to get into a moral discusson on the issue. Instead I would like to thank everyone who offered advice and wrap this thread up.

LOL Walmart will take anything back, I suppose. However, I did this at EB for YEARS. They used to have price differences between their own stores. And I, being the true devil customer I am, would exploit that to the fullest.

Was it wrong? Probably. But, I figured since the price difference was there, why not use it to my advantage?

bread's done
Back