Gamestop screw up. What should i do?

reaxn

CAGiversary!
Feedback
11 (100%)
ok so i went to gamestop around me, and they had an extra copy of etrian odyssey lying around. so i bought it.

when i get home, i opened it up and saw that it was a brand spanking new copy of etrian odyssey 2 :whistle2:#

so i got eo 2 for 18 bucks

should i keep etrian odyssey 2? or try to get the first?

Given that Gamespot rips people off all the time, keep your copy and try to find the other Etrian Odyssey in the meantime.

Better yet, keep the game and go back there and complain to them that the box was empty.

[quote name='tianxia']Given that Gamespot rips people off all the time, keep your copy and try to find the other Etrian Odyssey in the meantime.

Better yet, keep the game and go back there and complain to them that the box was empty.[/quote]
That's called return fraud.

[quote name='tianxia']Better yet, keep the game and go back there and complain to them that the box was empty.[/quote]

Nice to see CAGs promoting good old fashioned honesty :roll:.

My vote is keep it if you want it, as you bought the product for the correct price (EDIT: that was unclear. Bought it for the price they put on it, even if it was in error). If not, bring it back and make them fix it. But don't go scamming them for more. Yeesh.

One of the last times i've shopped at Gamestop, they screwed up as well.
I forgot what i bought, but they threw another game in my bag by accident. Noticed it when i got to my car. I was some Naruto Gamecube game. Wasn't any temptation to keep that one so I brought it back in and gave it to the clerk.

I barely got a grunted 'thanks' for that.

EO2 for $18? I fail to the see any sort of problem save for the lack of EO1. ;)

If the store had EO1 in stock just go back and see if they still have it lying around. Some locations, if they aren't busy and have nice clerks, will take a look for a few seconds for you if there's nothing better to be done. Hopefully that's the case, the original is still there, and everybody's happy.

keep it. they screwed up. you could be nice about it, but its GAMESTOP for chrissakes... they epitomize piss poor service, so no harm in taking advantage of their eff up. enjoy the game!

Honesty goes a long way. Now if you had bought EO2 and got the first one you would be up in arms cussing out GS. Just take it back and be an honest customer.

i remember after i got guitar hero 2 when it came out, i went in and bought GH1.

as i walked out, i realized they gave me GH2...sadly, had to go get my copy fixed...had no reason for 2 GH2s

anyways OP, i'd return it just because EO1 is worth more than 2

[quote name='THoward7382']Honesty goes a long way. Now if you had bought EO2 and got the first one you would be up in arms cussing out GS. Just take it back and be an honest customer.[/QUOTE]

I've returned money and items before to stores and neveI got anything more than a whimpered "thanks". But I didn't do it for some reward... I did it because that's what I was taught growing up. It might have been their fault but it was probably a mistake, it's not like he purposely gave you EO2.

[quote name='Vinny']I've returned money and items before to stores and neveI got anything more than a whimpered "thanks". But I didn't do it for some reward... I did it because that's what I was taught growing up. It might have been their fault but it was probably a mistake, it's not like he purposely gave you EO2.[/quote]

Right on.

OP needs to call the store and if they have EO1, do the exchange as thats the more valueable game. If they dont just keep EO2.

I bought Zone of the Enders, and they gave me the second one by mistake. The next day, i walked in and bought the original again for $5, giving me both games for $10.

:)

When I bought a used copy of We Love Katamari for PS/2 from a GS near me a couple of years ago, I was surprised to find both the original Karamari Damacy as well as the sequel in the case when I got it home. Must have been a newbie who didn't know any better because he just crammed both discs onto the one spindle. (Not sure why they were right next to each other in the drawer since I thought they kept those drawers in alphabetical order). I gave the original to a friend since I already had it.

[quote name='Pookymeister']other gamestops can accept returns - they'd just have to have EO1 in stock i'd suppose.[/quote]

something like this, he will have to go back to the exact same store.

@Banpeikun, In that case you should call their corp... If you call Corp. The store gets in ALOT of trouble... And you would have gotten your game as well....

Now while im not saying its RIGHT that you should have to go that far to get a game or anything.. but it does happen and its part of being a consumer.

Wait a second, I thought Gamestop was following Wal*Mart's plan of putting a store on every corner in America? If you ask me, both chains are like cockroaches, they usually get into places you would never expect them to be.

Oh and OP, just find a closer GS that has it in stock(use the online stock locator, as it DOES work at least 30% of the time). If that IS your closest Gamestop, see above.

As for 'doing the right thing', if I see the error before I get ALL THE WAY HOME, I'll go back and alert them of the oopsie. But, if it's a case where they give me too much change or a bigger refund and I'm already comfy back in my house before I look to check, then fuck it.

Of course, if they forget to gimme the damn game that I paid for, you better believe they're gonna get a call at least before too long and I'll be going back the next day or later that day to get it.

[quote name='micro44'](Not sure why they were right next to each other in the drawer since I thought they kept those drawers in alphabetical order). [/quote]

Some games are in a screwed up order. I know they have Maximo vs. the Army of Zin sorted under Z. Why? I don't know, but it took a couple minutes to look & give up and just ask if they had it.

[quote name='reaxn']the store is like 45 minutes away from my house...

thats the only problem, lol[/QUOTE]

They screwed up, there is no reason you should spend that much in gas to take it back unless you really want the first instead of the second.

Sorry to ask this here, but didn't want to post a new thread.

Is GS still doing the "if you don't like it, return it & get your money back" return policy?

Just asking cause of a game I bought from there a couple months ago that I just now found out has a bad 2nd disc. If so, I wanting buy another copy, swap the 2nd disc and return that copy. Resurfacing is out of the question, since Game Crazy already has & didn't work(it's got a big scratch around the center that prevents it from booting up). Just had to ask since I bought it there and they should be the ones to deal with the bad disc.

They sent me Hannah Montana for DS when it was selling like crazy 2 Christmases ago (it was in the box with whatever I ordered from them). I sold it on eBay for $40.

[quote name='tangytangerine']Sorry to ask this here, but didn't want to post a new thread.

Is GS still doing the "if you don't like it, return it & get your money back" return policy?

Just asking cause of a game I bought from there a couple months ago that I just now found out has a bad 2nd disc. If so, I wanting buy another copy, swap the 2nd disc and return that copy. Resurfacing is out of the question, since Game Crazy already has & didn't work(it's got a big scratch around the center that prevents it from booting up). Just had to ask since I bought it there and they should be the ones to deal with the bad disc.[/quote]

As long as you're returning the newly bought copy after swapping out the discs and verifying they work, you should be ok. I had a friend who had trouble finding a working copy of the one multi disc game, so testing and checking it before buying is a MUST.

Magazine rack & glitter.

Okay, now with the Gamestop thread tradition done.... call up and ask if you can swap the wrong game for the right game. Shouldn't be any issues unless if they don't have the one you were supposed to get in stock. Good luck.

[quote name='Vinny']I've returned money and items before to stores and neveI got anything more than a whimpered "thanks". But I didn't do it for some reward... I did it because that's what I was taught growing up. It might have been their fault but it was probably a mistake, it's not like he purposely gave you EO2.[/quote]

Me too. While I've never had a situation like the OP's, I always return money and such to the other party.

[quote name='IAmTheCheapestGamer']As long as you're returning the newly bought copy after swapping out the discs and verifying they work, you should be ok. I had a friend who had trouble finding a working copy of the one multi disc game, so testing and checking it before buying is a MUST.[/quote]

Thanks, I guess they'll be getting their bad disc back thursday then. BTW, the game that has the bad disc is Tales of Symphonia. Kinda pissed cause right when it was getting really interesting, it asked to swap discs & then found out the 2nd disc was damaged. Damn GS for taking damaged discs.

keep it.

contrary to what everyone else says on this post, a used copy of EO1 is.. *dun dun dun* .. 17.99. it's just a bit difficult to find, but if you find one, that's how much it costs.

bread's done
Back