GameStop, screw you.

Cambot

CAGiversary!
I'm glad I wasn't there to witness this:

My fiancee and her sister went to GameStop to get a Wii and a PSP for thier kid brothers to take back to Italy. I advised them to just give them money to get European systems (which, now, they are), but that isn't the point.

They mentioned their bros. were going back to Italy with these systems, and were told by the Store manager that the Wii wouldn't work there.

My fiancee and her sis explained they (thier brothers) already have an American PS2, and their TV is compatible, and they wouldn't mind just getting games from the States. The manager continued to argue his point. I guess the other worker chimed in and said they're already playing the U.S. PS2, so their setup must be fine for the U.S. Wii.

The manager goes "So, if you know more than me, then I guess we'll just call you the store manager!"

I guess they were really getting into it - in front of customers, no less.

At this point, they call me on the phone, and I said to just get the PSP if you don't mind sending them games all the time, but I'd rather them wait to at least get the Wii there in Italy.

At this point, the manager said "You have 1 minute to make up your minds."

Over the phone I could hear my fiancee's sister say "Oh, don't be rude, we're about to spend over $400 dollars here."

Manager replied "Yeah, so, just like everyone else..."

Then, they just said they've decided not to buy anything at their store an left. Wise decision. I'd rather they get Italian versions of those systems, but man, what a couple of tools. Especially that manager. I know they have hours and want to go home like everyone else, but I still think it's rude to act that way. Why chase customers away who are about to drop a ton cash?

Wait... So you're saying they actually had Wii's in stock? Amazing!

j/k. I will not spend another dime of my money there because of poor service and a major issue with pre-orders.

That was me man! WtF!!

Nah kidding, bad service. He should of helped you out and been nice instead of all rude.

Wow, at least with that bad service they didn't get any money out of it and of no fault of your fiancee's. Most of the people at the store near me are elitists like that. Honestly though, who turns away business? $400 is $400, they turned it away, and your fiancee knew it would work on their PAL tv... Where's the problem? Gamestop is just as bad as circuit city. Looks like I'm not going to be shopping there much.

fuck gamestop. If I'm ever in there and they try to push a game on me to preorder I'll just say "Nah, I'm gonna just pirate it".

What a dick... I can't stand store managers that think their shit don't stink. Hell, people working at McDonalds make almost as much as a store manager at Gamestop. It's not a career, you have no future there.

At least you can take comfort in the fact that when he starts making a little too much money, they will fire him.

I don't think it's the TV that would be the problem, but the whole outlet thing. But like the employee said, if they have an American PS2 set up there, an American Wii wouldn't be different. Sounds like the case of a grumpy manager.

I'd call the higher ups about it.

Yeah, you should talk to the district manager about that...he shouldn't treat customers like that. I really don't think it's commonplace that he had a line of customers waiting to throw $400 at him.

[quote name='xRiskyx']fuck gamestop. If I'm ever in there and they try to push a game on me to preorder I'll just say "Nah, I'm gonna just pirate it".[/quote]

Wish I could say that but the bottom line since I can't is that I won't ever pay full price for brand new. Especially if it's EA's crap. On top of that I don't ever go to GS.

[quote name='VipFREAK']Wish I could say that but the bottom line since I can't is that I won't ever pay full price for brand new. Especially if it's EA's crap. On top of that I don't ever go to GS.[/QUOTE]

Buying used doesnt hurt stores like Gamestop anyways. Only people it hurt are the companies who put the game out.

Gamestop makes little money to no money on system purchases, you think its 300 dollars, and they are lucky if its 20 dollars profit off that. I think in retrospect they could make just as much money from the next weasel wanting to buy a used bioshock.

thats something I woudlnt let go id push and complain get others to join till the guy was laid off.
Actualy its more like a persons looking to get hit kind of additude reather than a complaint.

[quote name='thingsfallnapart']Gamestop makes little money to no money on system purchases, you think its 300 dollars, and they are lucky if its 20 dollars profit off that. I think in retrospect they could make just as much money from the next weasel wanting to buy a used bioshock.[/QUOTE]

But, you offer them good service on a system, they will need to get games for it, and seeing as there are not many game shops they would probably come back there and purchase some used games, which is how GS makes the bulk of their money since they dont have as many up front costs tied to it (those crappy trade in rates are good for someone...them)

I wont bitch too much about them for a little while at least since I scored that free working psp through a discarded store display yesterday

This is strange but if the family really wanted the systems it seems they could have gone to the store next door and bought them there instead of giving the money to gamestop. I would think buying the PSP wouldn't make any difference but you just have to make sure you have a voltage converter that works or a PSP charger that matches the country you are in. I am not sure about Italy's voltage requirements.

If its anything like the UK those gamestop managers should have been as good as gold to those customers because if the game doesn't get released in the country that these kids are going back to the customers will be returning to the store to buy lots of games to send back to Italy, which gets their return business but apparently the managers are too dimwitted to understand this simple concept, if someone is spending 400$ at your store and you treat them well they will come back and spend more $ at your store, and they might even buy some used games that they try oh so hard to push on the customers.

the guy at my gs was very nice, for the first time... i actually got the bonus to stack with the preorder and the gs card... so 60% more for 5 game trade in.

nice day indeed... so now i have my halo3 paid for and another game too... just got to decide what to get... probally gta4 next year.... hahaha

ps:bioshock traded in for $30+30%+30%=59.70 ;)
like i said, nice indeed

it cracks me up that BioShock trades in for $30

especially when shrek the 3rd trades in for $30CAD at blockbuster up here

Yeah, they like to hire assholes. What else is new. The past two times I've been in one, they had a table setup with local people selling car stereo equipment with signs saying "$150 cash" and the time before that the store manager took a copy of a game I brought up to buy and said he was buying it and they were sold out.

The idea is to screw over gamestop, so that when they have 30 copies of the tom clancy triple pack individually, or 20 $5 harvest moon DSs from best buy rotting on their shelves, you can laugh after they're assholes to you.

[quote name='Cambot']I'm glad I wasn't there to witness this:

My fiancee and her sister went to GameStop to get a Wii and a PSP for thier kid brothers to take back to Italy. I advised them to just give them money to get European systems (which, now, they are), but that isn't the point.

They mentioned their bros. were going back to Italy with these systems, and were told by the Store manager that the Wii wouldn't work there.

My fiancee and her sis explained they (thier brothers) already have an American PS2, and their TV is compatible, and they wouldn't mind just getting games from the States. The manager continued to argue his point. I guess the other worker chimed in and said they're already playing the U.S. PS2, so their setup must be fine for the U.S. Wii.

The manager goes "So, if you know more than me, then I guess we'll just call you the store manager!"

I guess they were really getting into it - in front of customers, no less.

At this point, they call me on the phone, and I said to just get the PSP if you don't mind sending them games all the time, but I'd rather them wait to at least get the Wii there in Italy.

At this point, the manager said "You have 1 minute to make up your minds."

Over the phone I could hear my fiancee's sister say "Oh, don't be rude, we're about to spend over $400 dollars here."

Manager replied "Yeah, so, just like everyone else..."

Then, they just said they've decided not to buy anything at their store an left. Wise decision. I'd rather they get Italian versions of those systems, but man, what a couple of tools. Especially that manager. I know they have hours and want to go home like everyone else, but I still think it's rude to act that way. Why chase customers away who are about to drop a ton cash?[/QUOTE]

you should have told your fiancee and her sister to knock over their magazine racks and throw powder into the air since most likely they had no glitter.

[quote name='ITDEFX']you should have told your fiancee and her sister to knock over their magazine racks and throw powder into the air since most likely they had no glitter.[/quote]
Yeah, that's a great way to solve a problem! Throwing their stuff around and causing a comotion.

That's utterly ridiculous, dude. :| It doesn't solve shit and can get you in quite a bit of trouble.

[quote name='Tsukento']Yeah, that's a great way to solve a problem! Throwing their stuff around and causing a comotion.

That's utterly ridiculous, dude. :| It doesn't solve shit and can get you in quite a bit of trouble.[/quote]

Settle down dude I think it was a joke.

[quote name='Tsukento']Yeah, that's a great way to solve a problem! Throwing their stuff around and causing a comotion.

That's utterly ridiculous, dude. :| It doesn't solve shit and can get you in quite a bit of trouble.[/QUOTE]

yea I was just kidding.

I guess you don't know about the "glitter bitches" running joke here on CAG. I admit I use to scold other CAG's for trying to do this..but come on use common sense...or shall I say, your sister use common sense.

That's utterly ridiculous, dude. :| It doesn't solve shit and can get you in quite a bit of trouble.[/quote]

Thanks Jesus

[quote name='Cambot']Then, they just said they've decided not to buy anything at their store an left. Wise decision.[/QUOTE]

Good on you (er, them). I've read far too many GS horror stories where people complain about poor treatment and continue to spend their money at that store. If the employees are jerks, then take your money elsewhere. Low sales figures is a surefire way to eliminate the problem of poor management.

I'm lucky that the GS folks near me are nice. I never take that for granted.

I think the glitter joke is pretty much all over the internet now, even if you don't know what it means you can pretty much figure it out if you think a little bit!

[quote name='jer7583']Yeah, they like to hire assholes. What else is new. The past two times I've been in one, they had a table setup with local people selling car stereo equipment with signs saying "$150 cash" and the time before that the store manager took a copy of a game I brought up to buy and said he was buying it and they were sold out.

The idea is to screw over gamestop, so that when they have 30 copies of the tom clancy triple pack individually, or 20 $5 harvest moon DSs from best buy rotting on their shelves, you can laugh after they're assholes to you.[/quote]

LOL SO, why didn't they wanna hire ME then, since they like hiring aholes? Oh wait, that's because I've already been a major one to them. And as for the 30 copies of Tom Clancy Triple Pack that were broken up into the individual games, I think I came pretty close.

I must've traded in at LEAST 15 copies of it when they had the $10 extra cred deal.

Mind you, the only game store I'd wanna work in would be Gamecrazy, just to check out the legendary stack of pennied guides/games/whatever and kinda ask shyly if I 'could have some' since they're just being tossed out anyway.

You Know it's comical how people continue to bitch about how they were treated at Gamestop,... from the condition of their merchandise, their business practices or the treatment they receive from Gamestop's marginally intelligent or down right idiotic employees (store managers included). There have been volumes and volumes of unhappy customer testimonials posted here at CAG about how Gamestop compares to being a hemorrhoid of the gaming industry.

I'm sorry to say I have no more sympathy for people who complain about Gamestop and can only offer this Public Service Announcement:

Stay the fuck out of their stores!
Don't fucking shop at their website!

If you follow this simple advice you should have a more pleasurable gaming experience. Thank you for listening.:D

[quote name='jer7583']and the time before that the store manager took a copy of a game I brought up to buy and said he was buying it and they were sold out.[/quote]

what were the circumstances behind that? i don't know how you handled it, but i would not have handled it well. not at all.

I basically calmly left the store and instead complained to corporate. Suppossedly the district manager was going to call me back, but they never did, and I don't think he gave a crap. Of course their stores don't care. They're on top.

I found a copy of Persona 3 (that was the game that he "bought" which was my copy) later at another store so it worked out.. it just sucked at the time.

[quote name='jer7583']Yeah, they like to hire assholes. What else is new. The past two times I've been in one, they had a table setup with local people selling car stereo equipment with signs saying "$150 cash" and the time before that the store manager took a copy of a game I brought up to buy and said he was buying it and they were sold out.

The idea is to screw over gamestop, so that when they have 30 copies of the tom clancy triple pack individually, or 20 $5 harvest moon DSs from best buy rotting on their shelves, you can laugh after they're assholes to you.[/QUOTE]

haha..mine has every copy of Sega GT 2000/JSRF in seattle on their shelves

Yeah I basically only do business with them on a "they will never profit from this transaction" basis.

I really feel like punching that guy in the stomach really hard right now. Jeez that was the worst freaking manager ever, what kind of idiot would refuse to a customer who was about to spend $400 at the store? If "that" didn't seem a lot to him he could just keep his mouth shout and make a suggestion and stop argueing about it. Well I hope that $400 would go away from his pay check.

[quote name='xRiskyx']fuck gamestop. If I'm ever in there and they try to push a game on me to preorder I'll just say "Nah, I'm gonna just pirate it".[/QUOTE]

Thats fucking great. Thanks for the laugh.

Inside joke, you can;t think he was serious about the glitter.

[quote name='Unickuta']Inside joke, you can;t think he was serious about the glitter.[/quote]

If by inside you mean half of the internet then yes it's an inside joke. I think some people are just slow ;)

[quote name='jer7583']I basically calmly left the store and instead complained to corporate. Suppossedly the district manager was going to call me back, but they never did, and I don't think he gave a crap. Of course their stores don't care. They're on top.

I found a copy of Persona 3 (that was the game that he "bought" which was my copy) later at another store so it worked out.. it just sucked at the time.[/quote]

thats why you always buy/return something. you get a feedback number on your receipt and im pretty sure if you complain about anything the dm or store manager calls you (or email if thats what you put.) ive read on here that those figure into store rankings so this is a way to get them to take you seriously

[quote name='eaglebeak']If you follow this simple advice you should have a more pleasurable gaming experience. Thank you for listening.:D[/quote]
It's either GameStop or eBay for those of us who don't have a choice when it comes to game retailers.

Like I said before I would just tell them I have an R4 (which I don't) just to see what their reaction to that is, I am sure it would be quite priceless. But they would have to be asking about DS preorders, if they asked about something like Phantom hourglass I could also just tell them that I just got the game preordered on Familyvideo.com for about 25-26$ which is almost a full 10$ less than their selling price, of course this would have to be done in a busy store in front of all the customers!

Reminds me of the time I shouted "Gamestop sells bootleg Game Boy advance games" in a crowded store when the manager refused to pull a bootleg game that I pointed out to him.

[quote name='SaraAB']

Reminds me of the time I shouted "Gamestop sells bootleg Game Boy advance games" in a crowded store when the manager refused to pull a bootleg game that I pointed out to him.[/quote]

thats fucking golden what did he do after you did that?

Yeah, the whole "i pre-ordered it for $10 less" thing is a consistent statement I make there.

I was going to trade in Virtual Tennis for the PSP they would give me $2.99 for it. lol fuck you GS... Funny thing was the chick behind the register was really bummed I didn't go though with the deal.

[quote name='xRiskyx']fuck gamestop. If I'm ever in there and they try to push a game on me to preorder I'll just say "Nah, I'm gonna just pirate it".[/quote]

I am using that next time they ask me to preorder halo 3. I wish that nice rhino games would have never turned into gamestop :cry:

[quote name='magiic']If by inside you mean half of the internet then yes it's an inside joke. I think some people are just slow ;)[/quote]

You don't seem like the sharpest dude on this website yourself...

SEE-EH-EN-EH-DEE-EH, sheeshh, wha the hell...
and you should stop calling other people stupid as looking at your picture reminds me of a retard i see on a daily basis, so make sure you look in the mirror before calling other people ugly, you're picture is mighty scary

[quote name='microbim']You don't seem like the sharpest dude on this website yourself...

SEE-EH-EN-EH-DEE-EH, sheeshh, wha the hell...
and you should stop calling other people stupid as looking at your picture reminds me of a retard i see on a daily basis, so make sure you look in the mirror before calling other people ugly, you're picture is mighty scary[/quote]

This coming from a relative newbie with no avatar or pic themselves?? :whistle2:# I'm just gonna stop here......and you know......

SEE-EH-EN-EH-DEE-EH=Canada, for those who can't spell.

Not all GS managers are asses, I met plenty of cool ones while I worked there. Maybe that is why they all "left" fairly close to the same time. I don't think I have seen one of those old managers at all since I left and I stopped by a couple times just to check on rare games. Not seeing any of them there has turned all my business elsewhere since all the new managers are complete idiots. I walked in one store and listened to this guy behind the counter talk to one of the customers. He made no sense at all to me, but then again, I actually know something about video games as well.

Managers are jerks. I went in to a local GS and the fucking manager tried to hit on my girlfriend while I was trying to buy god of war 2. Anyways my girlfriend who I instantly decided to marry me afterwards totally blew his ass of hardcore and I felt good after that.

bread's done
Back