GameStop - Selling Classic Games Again! - PowerUp Rewards Retro Game Vault

4tygames

CAGiversary!
Feedback
9 (100%)
You can now use your GameStop PowerUp Rewards on classic video games on a variety of consoles.

http://www.poweruprewards.com/PUR/Index/RetroGameVault

Game, Platform and # of points required
Mortal Kombat - SNES - 30,000
Mario Bros. - NES - 27,500
Super Star Wars - SNES - 27,500
Killer Instinct - SNES - 26,500
1942 - NES - 24,500
Spy Hunter - NES - 24,500

Games Coming Soon
Tecmo Super Bowl (Near Mint, Complete) - NES
Nintendo Power Glove w/ Super Gloveball - NES
Nintendo Power Pad w/ World Class Track Meet - NES
Dragon Warrior - NES
Double Dragon - NES
Super Gameboy - SNES
Street Fighter II - SNES
Mortal Kombat (Complete w/ case) - Genesis
Mortal Kombat II (Complete w/ case) - Genesis
Metroid - NES
Pac Man (Sears Edition) - Atari 2600
Space Invaders - Atari 2600
Super Mario World - SNES
Ms. Pac Man - Genesis
NHL Hockey - NES
Fear Effect - PS1
Shining in the Darkness -Genesis
Aladdin (Complete w/ case) - Genesis
RBI Baseball - NES
Pilotwings - SNES
Game Genie - Genesis
Asteroids - Atari 2600
Centipede - Atari 2600
Combat - Atari 2600
Defender - Atari 2600
Missile Command - Atari 2600
Frogger - Atari 2600
Ms. Pac Man - Atari 2600
Pac Man (Regular Edition) - Atari 2600
F-Zero - SNES
NBA Jam - SNES
Sim City - SNES
Tecmo Super Bowl - Genesis
Tecmo Super Bowl 3 - Genesis
Donkey Kong- Coleco
E.T. - Atari 2600
Super Scope 6 - SNES
WCW vs. NWO - N64

[quote name='Sonic9jct']I found a bunch of games for $3 each including Final Fantasy VI on SNES[/QUOTE]

You sir have just won the damn thread.

:rofl: So that's what they did with those leftover, disc/cart only games they 'destroyed' a couple of years ago when they stopped selling older games in their stores.

Gotta love Gamestop though. They're the only chain that can put up old games with shitty prices and they STILL sell.

[quote name='4tygames']If they do, it goes up on their auction site. Look for independent thrift stores.[/QUOTE]

This is only half true. While a lot of stuff does end up on Goodwill's site, not everything does, there are still deals to be had, but you need to be dedicated to find them. Independent thrift stores tend to price stuff at market value based on the going Amazon Marketplace price, you are much less likely to find bargains there. Not that Goodwill doesn't grossly overprice their stuff, but your odds there are much better than mom and pop who just want to make you pay as much as possible.

As for this, most of those games aren't worth the plastic they're printed on, so don't even bother. Literally nearly every single one of those games can be had for one cent plus shipping on eBay. Where the hell is Gamestop getting Atari 2600 games anyways? The modern used game market as we know it was invented in the garage of the guy who founded Funcoland, which was several years after the 2600 was off store shelves, and they never carried it.

Wait until Gamestop starts buying off all e-Bay and Amazon listings of these titles for $5-10 dollars and reselling for quadruple the price :p.

wait so these are selling out... I can't believe even one of these was bought with points, the rewards program isn't bad at all and has some decent stuff to offer, whoever redeemed for 20k+ non complete/non hard to find retro games... come on.

these would've been better suited to put up and make available on april 1st, then I could understand the points these are listed for, otherwise this isn't funny, it's stupid. or put them up for reasonable prices, around 5k or lower.

Who the hell is willing to "buy" these things at this "price?" You know damn well that if this works for them, GS is gonna start buying these carts off of eBay. Hell, something like WCW vs. nWo can be had for like $1 plus shipping.

I have only ever used my points for discounts on games. Getting games for $10 cheaper is better and I can always go browse a local store where a nice lady manages a massive horde of old video games.

[quote name='iNFiNiTE HORiZON']wait so these are selling out...[/QUOTE]

I wonder if people truly are buying them, or if GameStop is just slowly taking them down out of shame. Both seem equally implausible.

[quote name='VA']GS will probably call them NEW. I hate that store.[/QUOTE]

NEW to GS = "unplayed." I used to shop at GS when it was the cool place years ago until I bought NEW games and they gave me a display case, opened, with sticker on it and say it's new because it's unplayed.

[quote name='poker360']Is this a fucking joke?

I never want to shop at gamestop ever again, just for this joke.[/QUOTE]

fuck = 100,000 GS Points

[quote name='RockoMan']NEW to GS = "unplayed."[/QUOTE]

Unplayed by non-employees. The company has a proven track record of allowing employees to take the display copies home, play them, and bring them back.

I wouldn't mind Shaq-Fu just because of this: fuck

I won't pay for what they are asking for, $20-$40 is just too much for a retro game. I never got to play Fear Effect, which is the only title that I'm really interested in, always saw that title at my Gamestops back then.

Then again, I've never had over 9,000 points.

Edit: My brother found a power glove without the sensors like the one picture on the power up rewards site. That would be cool if they had R.O.B. or retro cables/accessories like a Dreamcast mouse at a decent price.

Last edited by a moderator:
Wow 10 fucking thousand plus for an old ass game ? You would be better off using these points for those 5,10,25 and 50$ off coupons. This sale is just a test to see how stupid their customers really are

While I agree the prices/point requirements are a bit high, this is a pretty awesome offer!
Hopefully they get a bigger selection of complete games over time.

[quote name='dallow']Are they new and sealed?[/QUOTE]

No, but they will put a white sticker over the bottom of the cart and call it "new" for FREE!

Seriously, I go to Garage sales all the time and find old GS carts. They used to charge .99 in store for some of these games. I know now they are 'classic' and collectable, but the prices are too high.

[quote name='schulerbob']So, this gives me something to actually use my points on. That's cool.[/QUOTE]

So you would rather spend 25,000 points on a $8 game instead of getting $30 off used games???

[quote name='Saix_XIII']So you would rather spend 25,000 points on a $8 game instead of getting $30 off used games???[/QUOTE]

Anyone who would should be banned from this site.

[quote name='DcupsOfJustice']Anyone who would should be banned from this site.[/QUOTE]

correction

Anyone who would should be banned from living

[quote name='Saix_XIII']So you would rather spend 25,000 points on a $8 USED game instead of getting $30 off used games???[/QUOTE]

fix'd ;)

I can almost guarantee that this is all of the leftover stock from the Funcoland buyout.
These prices are f**king ridiculous. I would never pay what they are asking
Can't wait until these fat-wallet bastards go under and we finally see some more mom & pop shops open up (if that ever happens [the latter]).

LOL, I was just thinking today at work about when our local Gamestop started carrying these agian... like 2002. 2003? idk when they randomly got a bin in the middle of the store full of NES, SNES and N64 games, selling zelda's for like $50, this was shortly after they liquidated their N64 games. I would see local idiots buying the games, that they could have bought at the local mom and pop store for pennys on the dollar. At that time GS was also giving $.50 trade, I saw a guy trade in 20 decent games and still have to shell out over $25 for zelda... just proof that GS can sell whatever they want because people are stupid.

[quote name='Saix_XIII']The GS rewards honestly aren't that bad. They are on par with Best Buy.

Look at it this way.

$250 at BB=$5
$500 at BB=$10
$500 used at GS=10,000 points
10,000 points at GS=$10

So it is identical to BB program. I admit neither program gives you a ton of stuff back, but something is better than nothing. Plus at GS you get points for trading in, something BB still does not do, despite my feedback on how stupid that is.[/QUOTE]

ok so who is seriously going to back 30,000 pts, $30 for a cartridge only MK on SNES? I'd rather download ROMs and play homebrew for free

[quote name='Turbojugend']I usually cash out a $5 (Used) coupon for every 4,000 points accrued. Using rough logic, Mortal Kombat would cost me nearly 40 bucks.

And it's not even the sequel.[/QUOTE]

does the 5 dollar off any purchase include xbox live

It is truly amazing that this whole 'retro' game craze is still occuring, but now on a much more desperate level than before.

Has GS's Power Up Rewards program sunk that low to offer *ahem* CRAP from yesteryear?

I mean, if they had some somewhat desirable games up, complete in box or even new in box, that would make collectors and video game enthusiasts go apeshit over trying to accumulate Power Up Rewards points.

Really? Really? A loose Super Mario Bros. NES cartridge? If they had a complete, near mint Super Mario Bros. NES cartridge I could understand, but loose?

Whoever approved these 'incentives' at the Power Up Rewards program needs to take a swift kick to the groin by a pissed off donkey.

While this is pretty cool, for the older game I want the case and manuals! So for me to get just the game for ~$20 it's not worth it to me. Most of the games on the list you can get on ebay with everything for $10 or less.

[quote name='JustinSaneV2']Did GameStop stumble upon a forgotten warehouse of classic games?[/QUOTE]

I'm thinking they might have inherited these when they bought out that chain of stores in Florida 5 years ago. I think it was Rhino.

I was curious and finally took a look at the rewards for this program, and I noticed that they have the Dead Space 2 mini plasma cutter. That was part of the collector's edition for that game. I am guessing some of these little knick knacks they have are from other ones, as well. Guess they won't be throwing out the extras anymore when they break apart CEs.

This is obviously not a good deal but I'm amused by all of the "WHAT IDIOT WOULD BUY THIS" rage that turns into anti-GameStop rage. With a limited supply and a wide enough audience they will likely be able to get what they're asking, and if they're able to get what they're asking then why should they ask for less? That would be bad business.

Be disappointed with the uneducated consumers who are far too eager to part with their money (or points in this case), not with a for-profit business willing to help them do so.

bread's done
Back