Gamestop sells resurfaced used games?

prismic

CAGiversary!
I recently purchased a copy of Thousand Arms off of Gamestop.com, and when I got it, I noticed a swirling pattern on the disk, an tell tale sign of a disk having been disk doctored. Does anybody know if Gamestop does this frequently to their used games? I probably shouldn't worry all that much if it plays, but it's still somewhat disappointing to know.

In addition, does EB do the same thing to their used games?

What kind of swirl was it? Was it a curved swirl, or was it straight lines from the center to the edge?

GS does refurbish discs, but they use a professional refurbishing machine (the wavy swirls). Straight lines though are from a Disc Dr., which aren't supposed to be sold or accepted in trade.

I highly doubt it, some employee probably took a game that had been disk doctored as a trade-in. They probably slip through the cracks on occasion.

It is a straight line swirl, so it's likely that it's been disk doctored. It probably did slip through the crack and an employee didn't catch it. I'll just have to chalk it up as bad luck I guess.

Good to know that they don't accept disk doctored games as a policy though.

I got a game from them several years ago that was disk doctored. It almost never seems to happen to me but I'm sure occasionally they just don't check that well.

[quote name='rawisjericho']What is wrong with a disk doctered game?[/quote]

They just have a ridiculously high failure rate. Promise me you'll never employ the wretched device; it does more harm than good.

But the pro refurb jobs done at the GS Warehouse here in TX are awesome. The disc comes out looking almost brand new.

Along with the high failure rate, the Disc Dr. is essentially sanding the surface down in a rather haphazard way. The swirls are an effect of how it sands it down. From what I've heard, a Disc Dr. can be effective if used on the most helpless of discs, ie ones with Disc Read Error or something. And even then, it can probably do 8-10 discs before needing to have the part inside it replaced.

[quote name='Ledhed']GS does refurbish discs, but they use a professional refurbishing machine (the wavy swirls). Straight lines though are from a Disc Dr., which aren't supposed to be sold or accepted in trade.[/quote]

Apparently the people at the EB I go to are idiots. They use a Game Doctor everytime they see a few scratches on a disc. I bought Airblade a few weeks ago used and they used it on it and it looked worse than before they used it.

I was at a GS this weekend and found a PS1 game I wanted. I asked to look at the disk, and sure enough, it was scratched. The clerk then started promoting the Disk Doctor thing. These devices ruin the collectable value of games. Don't use it.

I've never purchased a used game from GS that had been resurfaced. But, I have received several used games from EB Online that had been resurfaced. All of which were promptly returned to a B&M store.

bread's done
Back