Gamestop starting "dummy" cases?!?!

gareman

CAGiversary!
Feedback
2 (100%)
I went in to Gamestop today after finally deciding to give in and buy SC4, and what I saw shocked and excited me....All the games that were released over the last couple weeks were in "dummy" cases, generic black dvd cases with the display only insert.

Now keep in mind this is "awesome" gamestop that has the nicest Managers (and some of the dumbest regular salespeople)of all the GS/EB Games that I go to and even quite possibly the friendliest of any store.

So I don't know if this is a new thing, but I for one am very excited about the prospect of no more "gutted" "new" games.

Last edited by a moderator:
That would be nice.

I have a "good" EBstop near me and this would make it a bit better although I'd probably still do most of my new buying on Amazon.

When it comes to new stuff, Gamestop typically isn't the best place. It really isn't the best place to used stuff, either, unless I want a game right away or I have store credit to burn.

gut? what, like people steal from the cases? -confused-
I don't buy from GS anyway, they're too overpriced with their used stuff :T And a lot of times it doesn't even come with the cases or manuals and the games don't even work (!), so yea.. No matter what changes they make, I'd still avoid them.

[quote name='SuperhumanChichi']gut? what, like people steal from the cases? -confused-
I don't buy from GS anyway, they're too overpriced with their used stuff :T And a lot of times it doesn't even come with the cases or manuals and the games don't even work (!), so yea.. No matter what changes they make, I'd still avoid them.[/quote]

Gutting is taking the games out of the cases and putting the cases out on the shelf. They do it with new games.

[quote name='RandyTsai']I still duno why anyone would buy a new game at gamestop.[/quote]

Well, I like to buy a game and take it home and play it, so whether or not GS opens it first doesn't really bother me at all.

I've noticed some of these too, but it seems like it was for some recent popular titles, such as SCIV and GTA. Thats as you enter the store, when you hit the racks, they still have gutted copies.

[quote name='RandyTsai']I still duno why anyone would buy a new game at gamestop.[/quote]

Because it's the same game you buy everywhere else? I have a GameStop about three blocks from me, while the nearest retailer that sells games is about a 5 to 10 minute drive, depending on traffic. So, it's a lot easier to just call up and confirm that GS has a copy. If they try to sell me an opened one in bad condition, I'll make the longer drive. If not, I've saved myself time and gas.

[quote name='bigdaddybruce44']Because it's the same game you buy everywhere else? I have a GameStop about three blocks from me, while the nearest retailer that sells games is about a 5 to 10 minute drive, depending on traffic. So, it's a lot easier to just call up and confirm that GS has a copy. If they try to sell me an opened one in bad condition, I'll make the longer drive. If not, I've saved myself time and gas.[/QUOTE]

Uhh no, because there are better prices elsewhere. The *only* reason I would shop at GS/EB is if there are preorder bonus or limited editions that I can't get elsewhere. Why pay full price when I can get it cheaper at fry's, free shipping/no tax on Amazon, $10 giftcard or gamer's card at Circuit City.

My reasoning behind not buying gutted games is I'm paying the same price I'm paying for a game that should be shrinkwrapped.

Sorry to spark the gutted copy debate again, but as far as I know there were no SC4 at the front of the store, and 5 dummy ones at the back and not single gutting display. I know this because this confused me when I was trying to decide what to bring up to the counter. So I look for a real case, but ended up just going up there and asking.

And as far as I saw (scanning for an actual SC4) that all the new games had no real cases and like 5-6 "dummy" cases.

Maybe they are listening to our crys of injustice.

and for the rest of the comments.

I got mine at Gamestop, because my girlfriend needed an external hdd and while I was waiting I went across the street to GS where I have had 50 bucks in credit since the current gen trade 2 get 10 extra promo from like Jan. I have no problem with Gamestop other than their usual pretenious and or apathic employee, but I really like (as I stated) that particular gamestop. That and gutted copies drive me nuts.

I don't like gutted copies, because I could not return an unplayed open game as "new". If I traded that game in and it was placed on the shelf it would be used. When I buy action figures of ebay and they have no package or it is open it is not listed as new. I have no problem with the act of gutting, but if your going to do it knock 10-15% off like any other major store does for "display" items, and don't call it new.
also

Well, I like to buy a game and take it home and play it, so whether or not GS opens it first doesn't really bother me at all.
also don't forget about on top of opening it for you placing 2 or three stickers on the case, one on the sleeve (rare but they do), have it be handled by a ton of customers with manual in the case, and also it being quality tested for a few days by a couple of employees.

[quote name='gokou36']Uhh no, because there are better prices elsewhere. The *only* reason I would shop at GS/EB is if there are preorder bonus or limited editions that I can't get elsewhere. Why pay full price when I can get it cheaper at fry's, free shipping/no tax on Amazon, $10 giftcard or gamer's card at Circuit City.[/quote]

...wow...another GameStop thread has turned into this. No big surprise, I guess.

1) Not everyone has a Fry's near them.

2) Amazon is great, but if I want the game when it comes out, it's not happening on Amazon, unless I am willing to pay more, which defeats your argument.

3) Not everyone has a big box retailer near them that offers things like giftcards and such. The closest one is about 15 to 20 minutes from me. After gas, tolls, and time, I am better off getting it at GameStop.

[quote name='distgfx']My reasoning behind not buying gutted games is I'm paying the same price I'm paying for a game that should be shrinkwrapped.[/quote]

Exactly. And, Gamestop employees are allowed to use the games before they're sold. And you paid 2 extra dollars to have new, and you really got a used game. If you're going to buy a gutted new one, just buy used.

[quote name='Jesus_S_Preston']Well, I like to buy a game and take it home and play it, so whether or not GS opens it first doesn't really bother me at all.[/quote]

Because some of us like the visceral pleasure of being the FIRST person to have opened the game and dislike the smell of grubby kid and adult fingers all over our 'newsed' games that Gamestop sells? Believe me, I've seen(and smelled) some of the people in some Gamestops and lemme tell you, I would NOT like to handle a game or manual after most of them. Bleh.

Believe me, if you ever take the time to take a whiff inside a Gamestop, you'll realize that it's not just the customers who have the 'gamer stench', it's some of their fine quality merchandise.

That's why I'll cheer if GS ever actually implements stringent controls on what they will and what they WON'T take in.

[quote name='bigdaddybruce44']...wow...another GameStop thread has turned into this. No big surprise, I guess.
1) Not everyone has a Fry's near them.
2) Amazon is great, but if I want the game when it comes out, it's not happening on Amazon, unless I am willing to pay more, which defeats your argument.
3) Not everyone has a big box retailer near them that offers things like giftcards and such. The closest one is about 15 to 20 minutes from me. After gas, tolls, and time, I am better off getting it at GameStop.[/quote]

Did you REALLY expect anything less? Really? First off, I do most of my game shopping at B&M stores, with maybe ONE game every couple of years bought from Amazon or Buy.com.

Second, my home state of Pennsylvania has yet to see a Fry's or chain other than the usual big chains open here. We have Walmarts, Kmarts, Gamestops(WAYYYYY TOO MANY OF THESE), Circuit City, Target, TRU and Best Buys here, but no Fry's or any of the other chains I see other CAGs bragging about getting great deals from.

As for the Wal*Marts(big box retailer), I really thought they were in every damn community in the US by now in massive numbers. I mean, they're like cockroaches here. We have 6-7 of them easily within 20-30 miles of my house.

[quote name='distgfx']My reasoning behind not buying gutted games is I'm paying the same price I'm paying for a game that should be shrinkwrapped.[/quote]

They can supply you a sheet of shrinkwrap if you like :D

Try this experiment at your local Gamestop, see if they let you return the game.

Buy a game that's new in the shrinkwrap, open it in front of them, then ask to return the game because you don't want it.

What will they say? Oh....it's opened, that means it's USED, we can only give you the trade in price for it. See the problem there? They're selling USED games(that they may still be allowing workers to take home and try out, which makes them TRULY used instead of JUST 'gutted')for the full NEW price, but yet if you try to bring back a 'newsed' game during their ridiculously short return period(many stores are 90 days on new games) they will claim it was opened and cannot be returned.

So, where's the difference? It's all about THEIR idea of what is used and what isn't apparently. That's where most CAG's get disgusted by Gamestop's practices. That, coupled with their lack of quality control when taking in trades, is why many of us still laugh at all of the people who actually put up with this bullshit.

If I buy anything from them anymore, it's strictly for flipping or cheap replacement cases(.99 copies of Madden for PS2 make great replacements).

[quote name='IAmTheCheapestGamer']my home state of Pennsylvania[/QUOTE]
Hey, I have stopped many, many times at the GameStop in Erie, PA since it is right off of rt 90. It was my favorite place to buy used games. The games were always in pristine condition and they almost always had the buy 2 get 1 free deal when I stopped by. The best time is when they had huge bins filled with PS1 games.

Although, the last time I went there, it was pretty spares and I was very disappointed. It doesn't really matter anymore, since I am pretty much done buying older games.

[quote name='Zing']Hey, I have stopped many, many times at the GameStop in Erie, PA since it is right off of rt 90. It was my favorite place to buy used games. The games were always in pristine condition and they almost always had the buy 2 get 1 free deal when I stopped by. The best time is when they had huge bins filled with PS1 games.

Although, the last time I went there, it was pretty spares and I was very disappointed. It doesn't really matter anymore, since I am pretty much done buying older games.[/quote]

I'm in one of the opposite corners of the state(northeast corner) and they just slap the new stickers on top of the old ones here. I swear, it takes a good 25-30 minutes to clean ONE damn case. :whistle2:# Good to know there are some good Gamestops around, though I did see one of the ones down the line from me simply sticking the stickers while still on the backing into the cases like others have mentioned their stores doing.

So, maybe they ARE finally listening? Here's to hoping.....though the next thing I'd want is for them to stop fuckin' Ebay pricing shit.

I talked to a kid who works at a local mom and pop store called toy a riffic they do old games and new games

I used to buy games from walmart then we got a gamestop now I go there but then a mom and pop store opened and I was talking to a kid who works there they give better trade in values and can usually get all games on time so I was thinking instead of doing business with gamestop I would switch and support a single family instead of a corporation......

It sounds like a better idea

Is my GameStop the only one that doesn't gut games? Each game they get it gets one copy gutted because they need to put the box on display. All the rest of the copies are put into the glass case behind the counter. The only time I've ever received a gutted copy is when I went to get Downhill Domination. It was the last one in the store so they gave me the display copy.

[quote name='omg itz adam']I talked to a kid who works at a local mom and pop store called toy a riffic they do old games and new games

I used to buy games from walmart then we got a gamestop now I go there but then a mom and pop store opened and I was talking to a kid who works there they give better trade in values and can usually get all games on time so I was thinking instead of doing business with gamestop I would switch and support a single family instead of a corporation......

It sounds like a better idea[/quote]

The one guy around here owns two shops in the area. He was just given a shakedown by our state police for allegedly 'receiving stolen merchandise'.

Personally though, as long as he prices his stuff cheaper than Gamestop, I don't give a crap where it came from really.:lol::ziplip:O:)

Of course he could do a better job in record keeping, which would've saved him the hassle of the shakedown, but that's a whole other story. :whistle2:#

My gamestops here seem to be gutting every game, as in multiple copies of each game they get in. I am not sure the reason for this, possibly employee rentals. I only shop there if there is a very cheap game that I want, a very rare game that I want that is in complete condition and if its much cheaper than ebay prices, when a good trade in promo arises provided I can find some clearance games to flip or when there is a good coupon. I don't even buy new, full priced games anymore so there is no reason for me to preorder anymore especially when games are dropping significantly in price in just 3-4 months.

The thing I don't like is when the cases are on the shelves they get all scratched up, I am really anal about my cases and i like them pristine. I also don't like the stickers but the stores around me have been putting the stickers at least the ones on the spine inside of the case instead of on the insert like before. The stickers are also a little better than they used to be because at least you can just peel them off, the old ones took ages to remove. The only time there is a problem is when you get a game that has tons of old stickers on it.

[quote name='Hybrid5006']They can supply you a sheet of shrinkwrap if you like :D[/quote]

My Dad owns a Deli and trust me...shrinkwrap is not the same as the packaging that new games come (most of them), and also you need an actual shrinkwrapper to make it even look decent.

But sersiously guys, there is no denying that a new game is nice to have. Opening it, the manual--fresh and new, no stickers, no smudges, no possible use (which is ridiculous to even have to mention when we are talking about new items), its just great to have something that is new be new.

It just nice to get in a new car--have the new car smell, have speedometer read practically nothing, have no smudges, etc.

Just because that's not important to you doesn't mean that it is unreasonable for someone purchasing a new product to expect it to be new, or atleast be comped for it.

[quote name='daminion']at least when Circuit City guts a game they give you a 20-25% discount on the "last" copy.[/quote]

I knew a GS that use to give you a 10% discount, but then they got a new manager =/

bread's done
Back