CAGiversary!
Feedback
6 (100%)
Buy 2 used Wii or DS games get 2 Free

Cost 10,000 points

available until 8-25-13

use by 8-19-13 through 9-8-13

also

When you spend $50 or more on used smartphones, tablets, or media players you get $15 Itunes Card Free.

also

There may be new Xtra Points Surveys currently available.

May I inquire where you purchase your tinfoil hats?  There was a black van parked 3 blocks from the place I used to buy mine from, obviously I can't go back there anymore.

Just to keep things in perspective, 6 months ago it wasn't too hard to find a copy of Xenoblade.  There weren't multiple copies in every store, but if you looked around a bit you could find a few in your city.  That's when Gamestop started hammering on trading the game in.  Then the proverbial well began to run dry.  Gamestop began hording them in preparation for this promotion.  As for the different cases, it's entirely possible that some time during the print run the decision was made to change the case.  Games, like most things, are printed in batches, and certain details can change between one printing and the next.

Metroid Trilogy should be proof of this.  Why would Gamestop go through the effort of recreating the Xenoblade packaging, right down to the Club Nintendo insert, and not create a case and box art for Metroid?  Do you really think that they'd go through the extraordinary effort to set up things to reprint the game and then figure it's too much work to create something to put on the cover?  And do you really think that a reprint would happen without there being some kind of solid confirmation, not just a company responding to baseless accusations from a very small community?

May I inquire where you purchase your tinfoil hats? There was a black van parked 3 blocks from the place I used to buy mine from, obviously I can't go back there anymore.

Just to keep things in perspective, 6 months ago it wasn't too hard to find a copy of Xenoblade. There weren't multiple copies in every store, but if you looked around a bit you could find a few in your city. That's when Gamestop started hammering on trading the game in. Then the proverbial well began to run dry. Gamestop began hording them in preparation for this promotion. As for the different cases, it's entirely possible that some time during the print run the decision was made to change the case. Games, like most things, are printed in batches, and certain details can change between one printing and the next.

Metroid Trilogy should be proof of this. Why would Gamestop go through the effort of recreating the Xenoblade packaging, right down to the Club Nintendo insert, and not create a case and box art for Metroid? Do you really think that they'd go through the extraordinary effort to set up things to reprint the game and then figure it's too much work to create something to put on the cover? And do you really think that a reprint would happen without there being some kind of solid confirmation, not just a company responding to baseless accusations from a very small community?
I make my own hats after I buy the tinfoil at the hardware store. That black van sounds dangerous. Go back, but take a baseball bat and some handcuffs with you. Vasaline is optional but recommended.

So you think that an area went from having 0 Xenoblades, to having over 80 of them, one 100 mile area in a small state, because Gamestop was "hoarding them in preparation for this promotion?" Brilliant detective work. Go to your precinct and ask for a promotion. Hell, you deserve to be the Captain!

Maybe because asking Nintendo for some new cases and CN coins for Xenoblade is about 100x easier to do than to pay to have Ninty recreate Metroid Steelbooks?

Why would they go through the trouble of remaking steelbooks, just mock up some cover art for it and print it. And since you conspiracy nuts believe that they'll print up new Club Nintendo inserts and give away points with Xenoblade, why in the world would they not at the very least print an instruction manual for Metroid. You really think they'll go all out for Xenoblade then for Metroid say "screw it, just put the disk on a generic case and be done"?
And I'd be careful of that hardware store, too many dark areas for surveillance.

Last edited by a moderator:
A few weeks ago, there was not one copy anywhere for 100 miles of my area. Now, every single DAMN STORE IN THE 100 MILE AREA has the damn game, and 2-3 copies IN EACH STORE! This is a reprint. How can people think it's not? I bet you're the type to walk into a building and if you were to see a dead guy on the ground knifed and see another guy with a bloody knife in his hands, you'd walk up to him and say "hey, do you know what happened to that guy?"

Gamestop's gone too far this time. I've turned a blind eye to a lot, but I'm not going to let them get away with this.
You literally just ignored all of the arguments and facts I dug up, not to mention throwing common, or business, sense out the window.

They have been calling people who bought games like Metroid Trilogy and Xenoblade for the past 6 months and have been hoarding copies. When they had enough to stock the majority of their stores, they released them.

Its not too much of a stretch to believe they could acquire around 25,000 copies, that may seem like a lot, but keep in mind they are a national chain. The game sold about 500,000 in North America alone.

You know what is a stretch? Thinking that Gamestop has the ability to arbitrarily reprint copies. See my previous post for the reasons.

picked up chrono trigger, tetris ds, castlevania : dawn of sorrow, and order of eclesia....3/4 were complete. glad i jumped on this coupon.
Great pickups! Castlevania Dawn of Sorrow and Order of Eclesia are the best on DS, and Chrono Trigger is one of my favorite games of all time.

The truth is of course probably between both extremes, but it seems like you guys are intent on winning this internet fight.

It seems like XB got reprinted. Hence the tons of stock, and unused CN codes, and often pristine cases.

It seems like MPT was NOT reprinted, hence the low stock, and generic cases.

That's not unreasonable. People still get to hate GS for having high used prices. Was that so hard?

On topic, I got and used this coupon. Great deal if you keep the items close together.

Actually, my gamestop employee source told me its likely that both xenobalde and metroid bought got reprinted as both have over 2000 copies available at their warehouse. I seriously doubt that calling people who bought xenoblade yielded such a vast amount and thats not counting the store amounts as well.

They got reprinted. You people rejecting the very possibility of it is mindblowing. Nintendo themselves refused to comment on it. Usually thats a heads up that they don't want to talk about a touchy subject that would get them bad press.

Also ask yourselves this question. Which is more likely to make proft. Offering $40 for a trade in of Xenoblade to joe schmoe (plus employee hours and phone bills) in hopes of getting more copies trading in or paying nintendo more money to INSURE they get more copies in.

Really, its always, always about the money.

Why would they go through the trouble of remaking steelbooks, just mock up some cover art for it and print it. And since you conspiracy nuts believe that they'll print up new Club Nintendo inserts and give away points with Xenoblade, why in the world would they not at the very least print an instruction manual for Metroid. You really think they'll go all out for Xenoblade then for Metroid say "screw it, just put the disk on a generic case and be done"?
And I'd be careful of that hardware store, too many dark areas for surveillance.
I wanted to jump in and say that Metroid Prime Trilogy did get a case/artwork/manual, at least in some stores. In a couple of the ones I've been to recently they had a white wii case with cover art, manual etc.

I wanted to jump in and say that Metroid Prime Trilogy did get a case/artwork/manual, at least in some stores. In a couple of the ones I've been to recently they had a white wii case with cover art, manual etc.
To me that sounds very dubious and I would lean towards a reprint because the ones that I saw that were legitimately traded in without the case were sitting on the shelf in an ugly generic GameStop case. There was nothing else included just like any other games traded in without a case and now they seem to give extra love and care for a ."vintage" game that is double the MSRP for a used copy. MPT was only sold in a steel book case so it wasn't like there were alternate versions lying around. This seems to have come off the same press as the game as far as being mass produced. Like I said before, I still support GameStop and will continue to do so but I am not blinded by them doing some shady business here. I won't buy their used vintage copies and support this scam, but I will gladly buy their brand new sealed MSRP games when it comes to getting GS exclusive DLC and extras.

Same here. Freshly printed cover art for MPT. Games are all mint like the new XCs. Probably would have been too much $ to make new steelbooks and posters. No way these are not reprints. Like I said in the other threads that got deleted, smart move on GS part. Too bad the two sides aren't talking to each other and this B2G2 is costing them some $.

You guys should realize by now that KuroPansa is a troll and does this in nearly every thread he/she posts in. Just ignore them.
I'm a guy. And look, it's the old "I don't agree with him so he must be a troll" argument again. How quaint.

About this Xeno / MPT reprint...this isn't the first time GS has a reprint of an item and put it out as used. A few PS2 games were reprinted (off the top of my head: Fatal Frame 1-3, Tales of the Abyss, Mega Man X Collection, Digital Devil Saga 1 and 2) and a few DS games (Radiant Historia, Phoenix Wright Trials and Tribulations). The difference is those were available from Amazon and other places. On the other hand Dokapon Kingdom for Wii was $15, they raised the price to $25 and suddenly it appeared at every Gamestop. Strange thing was Dokapon was not available anywhere else and was definitely a reprint (the disc art was color, original printing was black and white), just the game was not popular enough for anyone to notice.

If anyone needs another game around $20 for the B2G2 get Tatsunoko vs. Capcom. We have more fun with this than Street Fighter IV and Marvel vs Capcom.

Nintendo should have reprinted MPT and Xenoblade as HD re-makes for WiiU.
But that wouldn't make either game a reprint. xD

On the other hand Dokapon Kingdom for Wii was $15, they raised the price to $25 and suddenly it appeared at every Gamestop. Strange thing was Dokapon was not available anywhere else and was definitely a reprint (the disc art was color, original printing was black and white), just the game was not popular enough for anyone to notice.
Sadly... this is a common issue with gamers that really needs to stop. Like I wouldn't say it wasn't popular enough to notice, but I would say it wasn't popular enough for anyone to give a shit.

Thanks OP, used the code to pickup some DS games, saved about $40.

Apollo Justice: Ace Attorney

Phoenix Wright: Ace Attorney

Phoenix Wright: Trials & Tribulations

Phoenix Wright: Justice for All

Just missing - Ace Attorney Investigations: Miles Edgeworth

Do the SotW coupons expire at the end of this week, or are they just available for purchase for this week. In other words can I buy it now, and use it in a few weeks?

Do the SotW coupons expire at the end of this week, or are they just available for purchase for this week. In other words can I buy it now, and use it in a few weeks?
Limit 1 coupon per customer. Coupon must be surrendered upon use. Cannot be combined with any other offer. Free items must be of equal or lesser value. Subject to availability by location. Price subject to change without notice. See store associate for details. No dealers. Void where prohibited. GameStop, Inc. reserves the right to cancel, terminate, modify or suspend the offer for any reason without notice. Offer valid 8/19/13 through 9/8/13.

I'm assuming you have that amount of time.

Limit 1 coupon per customer. Coupon must be surrendered upon use. Cannot be combined with any other offer. Free items must be of equal or lesser value. Subject to availability by location. Price subject to change without notice. See store associate for details. No dealers. Void where prohibited. GameStop, Inc. reserves the right to cancel, terminate, modify or suspend the offer for any reason without notice. Offer valid 8/19/13 through 9/8/13.

I'm assuming you have that amount of time.
I knew I should have taken a look at the coupon page. Thanks a lot.

Is there any difference though between the original and reprint done by GameStop?
For Xenoblade, most (if not all) copies of the game comes in a case that that says "Nintendo" on the inside instead of "Wii". Otherwise, they're completely identical.

I haven't seen a copy of the Prime Trilogy reprint. They only just started showed up in stores near me...

For Xenoblade, most (if not all) copies of the game comes in a case that that says "Nintendo" on the inside instead of "Wii". Otherwise, they're completely identical.

I haven't seen a copy of the Prime Trilogy reprint. They only just started showed up in stores near me...
According to the new people bitching, they don't include the steelbook.

So can it be used on 3Ds and wii U games and Gamestop CS don't know anything they thought it was a trade in coupon

Last edited:
I got:

Monster Hunter 3 Tri
Super Mario Galaxy
Tales of Symphonia
Resident Evil the darkness chronicles.

I might take RE back to get The Last Story. They just didn't have it at the store I went too :/

Edit: I am going to take back tales and monster hunter, I just couldn't get into either of those two.

So I'm just going to ask this and hope I don't get flamed relentlessly for it:

Between this deal and the BB b2g2 free deal, anyone found any good flips that can be done through these stores?

The game sold about 500,000 in North America alone

Got a link to back that up as I could only find 225k via ign. I highly doubt they printed nearly 3x the numbers jpn sold. also completely laughable that it getting a reprint is out of the question but them somehow getting 25k copies with the majority being like new with unused codes traded in isn't. Thats what a little bit over 10% of what it sold? Wouldn't it make more sense for nintendo to reprint it if it did sell over 500k?

I was in gamestop and asked my source to look up the metroid prime trilogy warehouse stock since they are now appearing in every store here where I live. Apparently, they have 1980ish copies available online and with reports of a a new white wii box with regular coverart and no steelbook, this is looking like nintendo reprinted the game. That also means it reprinted xenoblade. I have not see the new metroid yet, but ill be checking it out tomorrow.

I hope this finally shuts up those naysayers who think gamestop managed to get a bunch of people to go in and trade the game in cause the tiv was just too good to pass up. There is no way gamestop would print artwork for a game someone traded in. They would rather sell you the game in those paper sleeves than spent money an making cover art. I will try and post pics when I get them but if someone beats me to the punch, i wouldn't mind.

Actually thanks to ebay, I don't have to post pictures.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Metroid-Prime-Trilogy-2009-for-Nintendo-Wii-/181202901387?pt=Video_Games_Games&hash=item2a3088d98b

http://www.ebay.com/itm/METROID-PRIME-TRILOGY-U-S-NINTENDO-WII-BRAND-NEW-/111151710346?pt=Video_Games_Games&hash=item19e128808a

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Metroid-Prime-Trilogy-for-the-Wii-Wii-U-Complete-/331003175197?pt=Video_Games_Games&hash=item4d1153a11d

That last one is the best as it has inside pictures of the case (with the Nintendo logo and not the Wii one). There is no club nintendo code but perhaps they removed it from the auction.

So there you have it. Nintendo reprinted Metroid Prime, and Xenoblade for gamestop to sell at a higher used margin.

My GS has one copy each of xenoblade and metroid prime trilogy (both complete with CN codes, MPT is the reprinted basic case) but I have no idea what to buy with them if I did want the pair.

I clicked in here expecting a deal for a free Wii/DS, I guess that's my fault for not being realistic.

Still, to have deals like this, Gamestop must be desperate to move the mountains of shovelware they've no doubt assembled over the years.

I clicked in here expecting a deal for a free Wii/DS, I guess that's my fault for not being realistic.

Still, to have deals like this, Gamestop must be desperate to move the mountains of shovelware they've no doubt assembled over the years.
If that were really true, they would have not used the steal of the week coupon process vs. having it available to all like the recent B2G1 on Wii titles. However, it just could mark the start of the phase out and I'm sure that we'll see more B2G2 or BOGOs in the next year or so like the GC phase out a year+ (?) or so back.

I'm not sure why everyone is pissed at GameStop. They can't repring without Nintendo's permission
You really can't see why? Even if Nintendo gave them permission, Nintendo can't set the price for them. If Nintendo released these games directly from their store at $90 each, people would be flipping their shit.

People are just upset because Gamestop is holding a monopoly over the "value" since most retailers wouldn't release a reprint at a nearly 50% mark-up. Despite the bitching, the reprint IS driving prices down online, so it's really win-win(for now)

unlike the xenoblade argument, metroid prime was not exclusive to gamestop. So why is nintendo allowing this kind of practice. They should have reprinted it as a nintendo select title.

Also nintendo had said they would not print regular non collectors edition copies. That is what they said back then.

Oh, GameStop. I guess your plan to gouge desperate consumers and/or put a dent in reseller's business didn't work too well. Or maybe you are responding to complaints. Either way, I see you dropped the prices of Xenoblade Chronicles and Metroid Prime Trilogy to $79.99 and $69.99, respectively.

If you bought these straight up without coupons (excluding the B'day coupon) in the past 7 days go back and get some of your money back.

Lol, I actually saw the prime cover. I educated a gs employee on it. He said, "I know I work for this company, but even I have to say, this is some bullshit."

Cool guy.

I saw the cover as well. I asked if there was an original cover and the guy thought it was. He didn't even know about the price. I didn't know that store was hiring. I would have gone to the interview.

Can someone recommend me a game to complete this deal? So far I am looking at The last story, dokapon, and Pandora's tower. I don't mind if its a bit cheaper as long as its a good and somewhat rare game.

Can someone recommend me a game to complete this deal? So far I am looking at The last story, dokapon, and Pandora's tower. I don't mind if its a bit cheaper as long as its a good and somewhat rare game.
Here are 3 rare-ish games for Wii at about that price point.

Arc Rise Fantasia

Ju-On the Grudge (Haunted House Sim.)

Pikmin 2

bread's done
Back