GameStop throwing out pre-owned DS cases (Free Club Nintendo/Square Enix Codes) YMMV

sasukekun

CAGiversary!
Feedback
120 (100%)
While at work, we had to start making more room for Nintendo 3DS games. So I had to start "gutting" all the pre-owned DS games. So all pre-owned DS games now come as cart/game only.

Not sure if this is nation-wide or not, but it's a great way to dumpster dive and score some Club Nintendo/Square Enix codes.

[quote name='JoshTX']Our concern as a hospital is the risk of infection. As I mentioned in my other post, there's a risk of infection through needle stick to things like HIV/Aids, Hepatitis C, or staphylococcus. Believe me, those things all suck, and avoiding them far outweighs the benefit of anything you'll find in the dumpster.

Our intent is not to jam up the court system with a bunch of people, mostly mentally Ill, with trespassing charges. It's more to keep those same people from becoming permanent fixtures in the clinic or ER.[/QUOTE]

Leave it to good old TEXAS not to have any regulations on how to throw out medical waste..

Pretty sure every other state requires SEALED PLASTIC containers for all needles and sharp objects used for medical reasons.. and must be picked up by registered medical waste disposers who BURNS all that crap

Knowing Texas they probably just throw out a body in the dumpster as well.. or dead organs or whatnot

and why the FARK are people digging in a hospital dumpster to begin with, what do they hope to find?

My GS throw out DS game cases all the time, in nice see thru plastic bags..

No dumpster diving needed since its just placed on the curb..

[quote name='HaloSucks']Leave it to good old TEXAS not to have any regulations on how to throw out medical waste..

Pretty sure every other state requires SEALED PLASTIC containers for all needles and sharp objects used for medical reasons.. and must be picked up by registered medical waste disposers who BURNS all that crap

Knowing Texas they probably just throw out a body in the dumpster as well.. or dead organs or whatnot

and why the FARK are people digging in a hospital dumpster to begin with, what do they hope to find?[/QUOTE]

There ARE regulations in place for how the hospital disposes of sharps and every other bio hazardous form of waste. We aren't that far behind here.

However, the hospital is located 2 blocks from the salvation army, and we have HIV and substance abuse clinics right here at the facility. The people around here using intravenous drugs are not going to bother to throw their pariphenelia away in a specific red biohazard bin.

They've been doing this for a few years now in my area and it pisses me off!
I finally find a rare DS game (Infinite Space, to be specific) on Gamestop's online stock locator and sure enough when I go to pick it up, it's cart-only.

Want to know what's even worse?
My neighborhood Gamestop is throwing away cases for 3DS games now too! :wall:

Some Gamestop stores have thrown out all of the PS2, DS, and Gamecube cases as well (they keep the PS2 and GC games in sleeves behind the counter now).

[quote name='JoshTX']That's a pretty ignorant comment, not to mention fairly sadistic.

People infected by diseases digging through garbage are not going to "die" immediately. They are going to end up requiring a ton of medication which you and I as taxpayers will end up paying for through the Medicaid system.[/QUOTE]

I'm pretty sure in my state its also criminal to either dump or remove any trash from anything marked private property. You're normally tresspassing to be in the back of a business.

The only way i can see it being legal is if the trash you're taking is on public property. If you're taking trash off of private property without permission i would think that's stealing.

Last edited by a moderator:
I don't care either way if the DS cart has the box or not b/c I keep all the games in a case, BUT (big but, notice the caps) I never look thru those cases of DS games, I only look at the boxes. I'll probably never buy used DS games at GS again then, those carts are too tiny to begin with and GS always covers the labels w/ the price stickers. I don't mind the PS2 games in the windowed yellow envelopes as the disc labels are usually self explanatory. And if not I don't buy it.

[quote name='Gameboy415']They've been doing this for a few years now in my area and it pisses me off!
I finally find a rare DS game (Infinite Space, to be specific) on Gamestop's online stock locator and sure enough when I go to pick it up, it's cart-only.

Want to know what's even worse?
My neighborhood Gamestop is throwing away cases for 3DS games now too! :wall:[/QUOTE]

Whaaat...? That GameStop must just not have sold a single 3DS game or something.

One thing to keep in mind is Club Nintendo will NOT let you register multiples of the exact same game, even with different codes. I had Kirby Epic Yarn, then traded it in after my son finished it and didn't seem to play it anymore, then decided he missed it and got it again when BB put it on sale for $7 at Christmas. When I tried to enter the new code on my account (a year after the first one) it specifically said that you could not register another copy of the same game.

It would suck to go to the trouble of getting the codes only to find out they didn't work for you.

I really hate that Gamestop is dumping more and more of their complete packaging for games. It used to be a lot of fun to hunt down hard to find games that could potentially be complete for a good price. Now, I don't even bother looking for pre-owned DS games since they are all incomplete at most of the stores in my area. :(

Hooray to Gamestop for being part of the problem, not part of the solution of global warming. Way to fill up those landfills, corporate America!:applause:

[quote name='defpally']One thing to keep in mind is Club Nintendo will NOT let you register multiples of the exact same game, even with different codes. I had Kirby Epic Yarn, then traded it in after my son finished it and didn't seem to play it anymore, then decided he missed it and got it again when BB put it on sale for $7 at Christmas. When I tried to enter the new code on my account (a year after the first one) it specifically said that you could not register another copy of the same game.

It would suck to go to the trouble of getting the codes only to find out they didn't work for you.[/QUOTE]

You can register multiple copies of the same game. Go to your account and add a family member. When you register a game on that family member the points go to you.

[quote name='JoshTX']That's a pretty ignorant comment, not to mention fairly sadistic.

People infected by diseases digging through garbage are not going to "die" immediately. They are going to end up requiring a ton of medication which you and I as taxpayers will end up paying for through the Medicaid system.[/QUOTE]

laws should be in place for actual crimes not preventive crimes. for instance if you kill a man the crime shouldnt be you used a gun to do so it should be murder. if dumpster diving is illegal for that reason it is a preventive crime and i find highly offensive and against the concept of freedom and free will.

Personally I refuse to buy a game without a case. Bugs the Hell out of me, and so do those stupid stickers they plaster all over thier cases.

[quote name='JoshTX']This is the 2nd thread in as many days about GS throwing crap out, and CAGs hoping to score free plastic rock band shite or a Nintendo code by swimming in the dumpster.

Do whatever makes you happy, just be aware of the risks you take...once you know someone who's been inadvertently stuck by a needle and now has contracted hep-c for life...it might make you want to reconsider that plastic DS game case.[/QUOTE]

[quote name='JoshTX']Our concern as a hospital is the risk of infection. As I mentioned in my other post, there's a risk of infection through needle stick to things like HIV/Aids, Hepatitis C, or staphylococcus. Believe me, those things all suck, and avoiding them far outweighs the benefit of anything you'll find in the dumpster.[/QUOTE]
---

Well, the last time I checked, Gamestop isn't a hospital. To be sure, I used a hospital detector at my local store:

hospitala.jpg

Yup, it's a Gamestop.

Now would I dig through the garbage for some DS cases? No, but if they were on top, I wouldn't blame someone for wanting to pick them out. If I saw a bunch of guitar hero controllers in there...i'd grab them or make my husband do it. If they share the dumpster with...a haircutting place or an antique glass store or a daycare I wouldn't touch it. I don't think people are going to be "swimming" in a dumpster for some cases.

I dumpster dived (if you want to call it that) at my old job for mountain dew bottle caps. I entered the codes on them and ended up winning a copy of Madden Football. No HEP C...no AIDS...

bread's done
Back