GameStop TIV/Promos: Old Thread, New Thread in First/Last Posts.

Status
Not open for further replies.

JP

CAG Veteran
Feedback
181 (100%)
Old thread, new thread here: http://www.cheapassgamer.com/forums/showthread.php?p=8775793

WHEN REPORTING TRADE-IN VALUES PLEASE POST BASE VALUES & SYSTEM IT IS FOR.

First post contains promo information & useful information and frequently asked questions. The second post is blank currently but is there for expansion or to revert back to the way things were. Third post has the 360/Wii/PS3 values. Fourth post has the PS2/GC values. Fifth post has DS/PSP values. Sixth post has hardware/accessory values for all systems.

Instructions on finding games in the database and inputting the values from different sections can be found in my blog post here: http://www.cheapassgamer.com/forums/blog.php?b=14143. I would put the entire post in the thread but this is already kind of a large post.

Upcoming Promotions:

[quote name='Anonymous GameStop Employee']Trade 3 for 10 is extended.
50 for ps3/xb360 towards new hardware is extended.
25% power trade for Madden and Gears
40% more towards Rage (not yet confirmed but thats what i am told)

50% more towards preowned ends
40% towards e3 titles ends.[/QUOTE]

Current Promotions:
GameStop.com Information (will post it when they update it)

Trade 3 for an extra $10 (Ends 8/21/11)
[quote name='GameStop.com']Trade any 3 360, PS3, Wii, DS, PSP or 3DS games and get an extra $10 in-store credit.

Games with a trade value less than $2.00 are excluded from offer. Offer valid only toward games normally accepted in trade. Offer not good on cash trades. Trades must be in full working condition to receive full value. Cannot be combined with any other offer. Trade-ins subject to manager approval. Offer subject to change at anytime. See store associate for details. No dealers. Offer valid in the United States, Puerto Rico and Guam only. Void where prohibited. GameStop, Inc. reserves the right to cancel, terminate, modify or suspend the offer for any reason without notice.[/QUOTE]

$50 Hardware Bonus Toward New Hardware (Ends 8/21/11)
[quote name='GameStop.com']Get $50 extra in-store credit on any Xbox 360 or PS3 system traded toward any new hardware.

Offer valid toward the purchase of new hardware only. Offer not good on cash trades. Trades must be in full working condition to receive full value. Hardware must have all necessary components for trade. Cannot be combined with any other offer. Trade-ins subject to manager approval. See store associate for details. No dealers. Offer vailid in the United States, Puerto Rico and Guam only. Void where prohibited. GameStop, Inc. reserves the right to cancel, terminate, modify or suspend the offer for any reason without notice.[/QUOTE]

Power Trade 25% - Gears of War 3, Madden 2012 or Rage (Ends 8/21/11)
[quote name='GameStop.com']Power Trade: Get a 25% trade bonus on any games traded toward a new copy of Gears of War 3, Madden 2012 or RAGE.

Full trade value amount must be applied toward pre-order/purchase of a new copy of Gears of War 3, Madden 2012 or RAGE. While supplies last. Trades must be in full working condition to receive full value. Cannot be combined with any other offer. Trade-ins subject to manager approval. Offer valid only toward games normally accepted in trade. See store associate for details. No dealers. Offer valid in the United States, Puerto Rico and Guam only. Void where prohibited. GameStop, Inc. reserves the right to cancel, terminate, modify or suspend the offer for any reason without notice.[/QUOTE]

$30 NCAA to Madden Rollover Coupon (Ends 9/4/11)
[quote name='GameStop.com']Get $30 in-store credit for NCAA 2012 when traded toward the purchase of Madden NFL 2012.

Coupon required, limit 1 coupon per customer. Coupon must be surrendered upon use. Trade value amount must be applied toward reserve/purchase of a new Madden '12. Trade must be in full working condition to receive full value. Offer not valid toward cash trades. Cannot be combined with any other offer. Trade-ins subject to manager approval. See store associate for details. No dealers. Offer valid in the United States, Puerto Rico and Guam only. Void where prohibited. GameStop, Inc. reserves the right to cancel, terminate, modify or suspend the offer for any reason without notice.Offer expires 09/04/11[/QUOTE]

GAMESTOP USED GAME PRODUCT ID(thanks Xfactor4)
THE GAMESTOP USED GAME PRODUCT ID "CRACKED":

:gc:=916xxx
:360:=952xxx
:ps2:=938xxx or 939xxx
:wii:=917xxx
:psp:=935xxx
:ds:=919xxx
:ps3:=930xxx
:gba:=914xxx

FAQ
These trade-in values are really low!
While that may be true, if you combine the games with the right promotion they can work to your advantage. There are knowledgeable people in this thread that are normally willing to help.

Is there any way to look at what the previous values reported on a game?
You can search through this thread and previous ones to see what a game has been reported in the past. With the TIV Tracker you can sort by date and then go through the list of past updated values through that as well. Here are the previous GS TIV Threads: 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13

Can I trade-in sealed games?
No. You might come across the rare GameStop that would let you do it, but they are going to open them anyway.

I don't want to get hassled about the values I post, how can I get the information out there?
If you do not feel comfortable or willing to put the values in the thread you have two options available. You can input them in the TIV tracker or you can send them to me via PM. Either way the database and these lists will be updated. Putting them into the TIV tracker does save me some time later on.

Do trade-ins have to have their original case, insert and manual?
No, however it will be YMMV on if they charge you a refurbish fee for them in that condition. Most GameStops wont charge a fee but there are some that charge for incomplete games.

Will they accept my game if it is really beat up?
YMMV. It really all depends upon the employee you get. Some will charge refurbish fees, some wont, some wont accept the game and others just take them without a second glance.

What are the refurb fees on games?
There appears to be set prices for set value ranges. We aren't 100% certain on the splits just yet. Here is what we have currently:
$0.25-$2 Value:
$0.75 Refurb Fee
$2.01-$4 Value: $1 Refurb Fee
$4.01-$7 Value: $2 Refurb Fee
$7.01-$10 Value: $3 Refurb Fee
$10.01 & Higher Value: $4 Refurb Fee
This information isn't guaranteed by any mean and we are still working on nailing it down.

What are the refurb fees on consoles?
They are listed in the hardware TIV section, highlight in red.

I have a Collector's/Limited/Special edition of a game, do I have to trade-in all of the extras?
No, but there are a handful of games that their variations have separate listings at GameStop: Madden 09 Anniversary Edition, Battlefield: Bad Company Gold Edition, and a few others.

Why didn't the percent bonus go for my accessory for a system that was included?
Unless stated otherwise, and they are rarely included, the bonuses never apply to accessories. Except the EDGE card of course.

I traded in a bunch of games for the "Trade X, get $X bonus" promo and it gave me the percentage bonus instead?
I can't give concretes on why this happens. GameStop computers are normally pretty good at giving you the better promo. In the case of a percentage bonus being run at the same time as a "Trade X, get $X" promo, things can get messy. The system appears to only give one promo on games per transaction so if you had a few games that you want to go to the percentage bonus and a stack for the "Trade X, Get $X" it will regularly apply the percentage to all of the games. Your best bet is to do all "Trade X, Get $X" games in one transaction on their own. The GameStop clerk may say that the system will figure it all out, tell them you want a separate transaction anyway. As always, check your receipt before you leave the store.

Can I trade in multiple copies of the same game?
YMMV. The official policy is no, but there are some GameStops that overlook that rule.

What all do I have to trade in for a console trade-in?
Xbox 360: Console Unit, power brick, A/V Cables, Controller (wired/wireless)
Wii: Console Unit, Power Cable, A/V Cables, Wiimote, Nunchuck, Sensor Bar
Playstation 3: Console Unit, Power Cable, A/V Cable, Controller, USB Cable
Playstation 2: Console Unit, Power Cable, A/V Cable, Controller (Must be a DualShock2)
*Fat unit requires either back cover or network adapter*
GameCube: Console Unit, Power Cable, A/V Cable, Controller
PSP: Handheld, A/C Adapter
Nintendo DS/DSLite/DSi: Handheld, A/C Adapter, Stylus

Can I trade in a defective/broken console?
For the most part yes. If it powers on but doesn't play games, they will take the console as a refurb unit and put a refurb fee on the console. The refurb fee on the console will vary on the price of the console so those numbers will change. You are still required to trade in everything required listed in the question directly above. They will not, however, take RROD 360 consoles. There may be stores that still do it, but official policy is to not take them in.

What is the difference between PowerUp Rewards and PowerUp Rewards Pro?
The basic card is free and only allows you to acrew points when spending money. The Pro card costs $14.99 and is basically the same as the previous EDGE program.

How much does a PowerUp Rewards Pro subscription cost?
It costs $14.99 and is good for a year. It also comes with a 1-year subscription to Game Informer magazine.

What bonuses come with having an PowerUp Rewards Pro card?
You will get an extra 10% trade-in credit on the base value of the game, extra 10% off the purchase of pre-owned games and 10% off new strategy guides.

Does the Power Up Rewards Card give me a bonus on hardware trade-ins?
No. You will only get the bonus for games and accessories.

What if I want cash instead of credit, what do they deduct?
If you decide that you want cash instead of credit, they will take 20% off the base values and promos will not apply.

Does promo "....." have a minimum trade-in value?
If the promo has a minimum trade-in value requirement, it will be listed in the promo. If it isn't there, then there is no limit. However, as with all trades, they are subject to manager approval so the manager could have setup his own little rule-set requiring a minimum of whatever.

I used a Power Trade promo for a pre-order, can I cancel that pre-order and get the credit or move it to another game I want?
Yes on both accounts. However, if you do a bunch of the power trades and just straight drop the pre-order you could create some ill-will between yourself and the employees you cancel on. However, if you look at the wordings on promos, they can remove the bonus trade-in value if they decide to.

I just tried to use a promo that has a select list of games eligible, but they say my game isn't eligible anymore, what gives?
Basically they have the right to change the eligible games at any time. They tend to update these frequently so as to lock out any easy/cheap games. It's best to check the eligible list the day of your trade.

Can I stack two different trade-in promos?
No. The only thing that will stack with trade-ins is your EDGE card. Some will report success, but this requires a manual override and is very YMMV.

If I pay for an item using all credit on my card, do I have to pay sales tax?
This varies depending upon the state you live in.

What states charge sales tax on purchases paid in full with credit and which ones don't?
Charge Sales Tax on Credit Purchases: Alabama, Arkansas, California, Connecticut, Florida, Hawaii, Maine, Maryland, Massachusetts, Michigan, Mississippi, Nevada, North Carolina, Ohio, Oklahoma, Pennsylvania, Rhode Island, South Dakota, Tennessee, Utah, West Virginia
Does Not Charge Sales Tax on Credit Purchases: Alaska, Arizona, Colorado, Delaware, Georgia, Idaho, Illinois, Indiana, Iowa, Kansas, Kentucky, Louisiana, Minnesota, Missouri, Montana, Nebraska, New Hampshire, New Jersey, New Mexico, New York, North Dakota, Oregon, South Carolina, Texas, Vermont, Virginia, Washington, Wisconsin, Wyoming
No Information Yet:

My state doesn't charge sales tax on purchases made by credit, why is gamestop.com charging me tax?
It is just the way they have designed their system. The best theory we have seen is that since you are only inputting the number off of the back of the card, it isn't going to pick up the programming from the specially tagged EDGE cards. Some kind of programming that gets input from their system that wont show up when only inputting the number off the back of the card.

----------------------------------------------------------------------

Last edited by a moderator:
[quote name='JP']I am slightly surprised. More often with the trade X get $X extra promos it's more evenly spread with a bit of an uptick on the last day. More than I expected.[/QUOTE]

You can thank Blockbuster for that.

[quote name='BobbyTastic']5/30/11

360:

LA Noire - $25

So, I picked up Bioshock 2 and SW:TFU 2 (Wii) on impulse from BBV's B1G1 free sale. Figured I could flip TFU2 (my third flip/fourth trade-in evar), but I realized it was a half-hour before closing. I call in advance to make sure I've got the closing time right/say they should expect me around closing, but run into a ton of red lights. I end up getting there @ 9:01, door's locked. Guy I traded LA Noire to earlier in the evening standing in the doorway with the key tells me "Too bad" and shrugs. A tad frustrating, but I just got unlucky I suppose (It'd only be $3.20 extra credit (40% extra TIV)). That's not nearly as bad as the people locking up early for the other poster. I'm not saying the guy couldn't have planned it better, but they should be working @ least until they're supposed to close (unlike in my case, I guess, though they probably closed early too, at least they were still taking phone calls around closing-time). I'm certainly not going to stop going to that GameStop and QQ about it though.

I'mma see what the TIV for it is tomorrow, and I guess I'll let you lot know.[/QUOTE]

I'm not butthurt or anything, I was just irked that the door was locked five minutes early with customers still in the store, and the two guys that talked to me were a little rude. I definitely should have gone earlier, but the website says the store closes at 6, not 5:55.

Updated lists and database.

While it does suck they closed early, when I worked at a video store I did the same thing. I would lock the door, with people inside about 15 minutes early. If you didn't lock the doors you'd be there another two hours.

[quote name='NickNorman']I'm not butthurt or anything, I was just irked that the door was locked five minutes early with customers still in the store, and the two guys that talked to me were a little rude. I definitely should have gone earlier, but the website says the store closes at 6, not 5:55.[/QUOTE]

I wasn't necessarily saying you were butthurt, as much as I was saying I wasn't going to be butthurt that the guy wouldn't leave the store open an extra minute for me to get my ~$3 extra credit. Kinda complicated, I did give you some credit though, places that close early in front of someone's face kinda suck (even if it's a Sunday before a holiday). But, I wouldn't just boycott the store over a dick employee or two.

Edit: @ JP
Video stores (like BBV) are generally open a hell of a lot later (read: GS closes @ 6 p.m. for this guy on Sundays, as do most in my area, save the one I went to which closes @ 9), to be fair. But, I get your point, 'specially on a Sunday before a holiday.

[quote name='BobbyTastic']I wasn't necessarily saying you were butthurt, as much as I was saying I wasn't going to be butthurt that the guy wouldn't leave the store open an extra minute for me to get my ~$3 extra credit. Kinda complicated, I did give you some credit though, places that close early in front of someone's face kinda suck (even if it's a Sunday before a holiday). But, I wouldn't just boycott the store over a dick employee or two.

Edit: @ JP
Video stores (like BBV) are generally open a hell of a lot later, to be fair. But, I get your point, 'specially on a Sunday before a holiday.[/QUOTE]

I get it, and I'll probably still go once in a while, it's just a little out of the way anyway. I can't blame the store or anything, and it's only maybe $10 or $20 I'm out.

[quote name='BobbyTastic']Video stores (like BBV) are generally open a hell of a lot later, to be fair. But, I get your point, 'specially on a Sunday before a holiday.[/QUOTE]
Totally going off topic from TIV but the one I worked at was open until 11PM every day of the year. Midnight on Fridays. The number of people that showed up within the last 15 minutes was ridiculous. That was also the first job that I actively drank while at work.

[quote name='JP']Updated lists and database.

While it does suck they closed early, when I worked at a video store I did the same thing. I would lock the door, with people inside about 15 minutes early. If you didn't lock the doors you'd be there another two hours.[/QUOTE]

At my store it will be dead from 10-10:45 (we close at 11pm) and in that last 15 minutes a dozen or more people will come into the store. I however get paid based on how well the store does so I don't mind when people come in at 10:59:59 but at 11:00pm exactly and your gonna find the door locked and me walking around to help people find their stuff so I can get on my way.

Why Doesn't

FREESHIPORDER20 work???

it says it expires on 6-5-11

nevermind, i got it to work.

[quote name='mrright4you4now']At my store it will be dead from 10-10:45 (we close at 11pm) and in that last 15 minutes a dozen or more people will come into the store. I however get paid based on how well the store does so I don't mind when people come in at 10:59:59 but at 11:00pm exactly and your gonna find the door locked and me walking around to help people find their stuff so I can get on my way.[/QUOTE]

I'm assuming that's what the guys who closed on me's attitude was, or I'm hoping that's how it goes.

@ JP

All my local BBVs are open 'till the same exact hours (I keep assuming they close earlier, and when I look up the hours I'm always incredibly surprised). I used to be friendly with the night staff @ this one BBV in Tennessee, I always thought that shit was rough, and they didn't even get to drink on the job.

@ NickNorman

And there's your rational response, so you're not butthurt.

Gonna keep this on-topic:

@Ral

What are you trying to buy? Are you combining it with any other offers? See if Vship would work for you instead.

[quote name='BobbyTastic']Some of us give away our codes and keep it on the hush-hush, you know. :p

I'm glad my coupon will be of benefit to someone, though.

I'm gonna trade in LA Noire to GS in a few, I'll post value when I get back.[/QUOTE]

Ted Danson is 'Anonymous'....

[quote name='SCDallas']Any new deals coming? Went to GameStop tonight at 6:30pm to trade in another 6 games and didn't realize they close at 6pm. :([/QUOTE]

If you want you can see your other local stores and see if there's a random one open 'till 9, like I have around here.

Someone mentioned in a promo where you get more for trading in 7, check the last few pages in here or wait 'till tomorrow. The 40% extra TIV, and trade 3 in for $10 extra deals are dead tomorrow though. They definitely got flooded with used BBV games.

Edit: Better? I've actually yet to flip one of the BBV games to GS, though I was planning to flip SW: TFU2 (Wii) tomorrow since I just missed my chance tonight.

I've never drank on a job, but I remember when I used to work at an odds and ends shop we would get no customers after a certain time, so we'd just close up early.

[quote name='JP']Totally going off topic from TIV but the one I worked at was open until 11PM every day of the year. Midnight on Fridays. The number of people that showed up within the last 15 minutes was ridiculous. That was also the first job that I actively drank while at work.[/QUOTE]

I...? First!?!?

Random trades from 5/29:

:wii:
Harry Potter Half-Blood Prince - $7
New Carnival Games - $10

:ps3:
Burnout Paradise - $6
Dead to Rights Retribution - $10
TV Superstars - $5

:360:
Spiderman Friend or Foe - $6

:ds:
GTA Chinatown Wars - $8

A side note: I have not seen this for a while but it seemed like all the clerks I've dealt with the last few days have been really pushy with renewing my PUR card and selling preorders. I was defending GS here recently against people putting them down for that but they have definitely taken a turn for the worse here recently. I can only assume this is some push from corporate or the district manager. They were really getting on my nerves. They were especially annoying about my PUR even though it still has over 30 days before it expires. They kept telling me stuff like the magazine wouldn't arrive in time next month if I didn't renew, etc... I'd have just done it, but I usually reserve that for one of the cool guys at my local store and he wasn't there when I traded there the other day. But now my policy will be that the next person that doesn't ask me about it will get my renewal ;).

trades from earlier today...

Fall Out New Vegas $8
Shaun White Snowboarding $1

Star Wars Force Unleashed II $8
Jeopardy $6
House of the Dead I&II $8
Cooking Mama World Kitchen $7

Updated lists and database.

[quote name='radioactivez0r']I...? First!?!?[/QUOTE]
602 Video was the first job, and the owner was never there. He was always high as a kite and just never showed up. Hated that guy. The second was a graphic design shop. We made t-shirts, signs, banners and all kinds of other junk. I was in charge of: taking orders, design of everything, printing of t-shirts, making of about 95% of the signs, and dealing with customer complaints. Place was open from 10-5. I always was working late and as soon as 5PM hit the doors were locked and the beer, or if the day was super taxing the tequila, was opened up and put to good use. A good portion of the customers were asshats so it was a fairly common occurrence.

The owners knew about it, hell they bought most of it for me considering I wasn't 21 at the time. I just wasn't allowed to print t-shirts when drinking because it would be very easy to screw that up. Mostly I just worked on designs or cut out the vinyl for the signs I would be making the next day.

[quote name='io']Random trades from 5/29:

Harry Potter Half-Blood Prince - $7
New Carnival Games - $10

:ps3:
Burnout Paradise - $6
Dead to Rights Retribution - $10
TV Superstars - $5

Spiderman Friend or Foe - $6

:ds:
GTA Chinatown Wars - $8

A side note: I have not seen this for a while but it seemed like all the clerks I've dealt with the last few days have been really pushy with renewing my PUR card and selling preorders. I was defending GS here recently against people putting them down for that but they have definitely taken a turn for the worse here recently. I can only assume this is some push from corporate or the district manager. They were really getting on my nerves. They were especially annoying about my PUR even though it still has over 30 days before it expires. They kept telling me stuff like the magazine wouldn't arrive in time next month if I didn't renew, etc... I'd have just done it, but I usually reserve that for one of the cool guys at my local store and he wasn't there when I traded there the other day. But now my policy will be that the next person that doesn't ask me about it will get my renewal ;).[/QUOTE]

One of my good friends is a store manager at one of the locations here and she said corporate is really starting to push them hard about pre-orders mostly. They are starting to see their pre-order numbers plummet the past year or so on games not named madde, call of duty, gears or assiassin's creed. This is more than likely due to all of the other B&M/amazon etc giving much better incentives than gamestop does. But their higher ups are so stubborn, they think their trade in model is better than giving day one coupons, gc's or discounts.

Yeah, I've noticed my last few trips into GS has felt more like a visit to the used car lot than a game store. "What kind of preorder can I put you in today, Mac?" IMHO, the only reason to preorder anything at GS is for a special edition, or for exclusive DLC. I sold the Piano Gun code I was e-mailed for preordering LA Noire for $38!

It's amazing to believe that there are people so gullible that they think they will not be able to find a vanilla copy of Modern Warfare 3 for MSRP on release day if they don't preorder to 'guarantee their copy', LoL!

[quote name='HakurenKyo06'] This is more than likely due to all of the other B&M/amazon etc giving much better incentives than gamestop does. But their higher ups are so stubborn, they think their trade in model is better than giving day one coupons, gc's or discounts.[/QUOTE]

Exactly. I have 4 different Gamestop's near me, but I really only ever go to 2 of them. Everyone who works there knows me by name since I trade in so much crap, but they always ask me about preorders. I rarely preorder anything anywhere since I'm a CAG. But, I think next time, I will just say, "I know about every game coming out and every other store besides Gamestop has a better deal."

[quote name='sgaldis']Yeah, I've noticed my last few trips into GS has felt more like a visit to the used car lot than a game store. "What kind of preorder can I put you in today, Mac?"
[/QUOTE]

True. In regards to LA Noire, I actually did preorder it at Gamestop due to that trade 2 bonus deal they had. But I canceled once I saw Best Buy's $48.99 with $25 of gift cards. When I cancelled, the guy was so upset, I thought he was going to cry. He named every game that comes out between now and 2013 trying to get me to transfer my preorder over. I felt bad so I told him the next time I preorder at Gamestop, I will make sure he gets the sale.

[quote name='shiftymcneely']Exactly. I have 4 different Gamestop's near me, but I really only ever go to 2 of them. Everyone who works there knows me by name since I trade in so much crap, but they always ask me about preorders. I rarely preorder anything anywhere since I'm a CAG. But, I think next time, I will just say, "I know about every game coming out and every other store besides Gamestop has a better deal."[/QUOTE]

I'd think the Gamestop employees all know what deals are being offered elsewhere. They're still going to ask you because they're being told it's their job.

Whatever, it's their job, it's not their choice. Stop complaining and just deal with it. Don't say more than you have to. Just say no thank you and look away...if they start naming games or whatever just ask politely if they can just finish ringing up your order.

Retail sucks, I'm sure most of the employees don't like badgering the customers.

If it REALLY bothers you, you'd stop going in there...so it must not bother you that much.

It should not bother you guys that these clerks are doing their job.

They are paid to push pre-orders and PUR renewals.
If it's anything like when I used to work at Game Crazy, if they do have good enough percentages over time then their job is at risk.

[quote name='JaylisJayP']I'd think the Gamestop employees all know what deals are being offered elsewhere. They're still going to ask you because they're being told it's their job.

Whatever, it's their job, it's not their choice. Stop complaining and just deal with it. Don't say more than you have to. Just say no thank you and look away...if they start naming games or whatever just ask politely if they can just finish ringing up your order.

Retail sucks, I'm sure most of the employees don't like badgering the customers.

If it REALLY bothers you, you'd stop going in there...so it must not bother you that much.[/QUOTE]

It really doesn't bother me much, just saying that they should realize that asking me is a waste of time. I've worked retail for 6 years so I know how hideous it is to meet certain sales goals and pester customers. I understand it's their job, but you gotta know when to call it quits with a customer.

[quote name='HakurenKyo06']One of my good friends is a store manager at one of the locations here and she said corporate is really starting to push them hard about pre-orders mostly. They are starting to see their pre-order numbers plummet the past year or so on games not named madde, call of duty, gears or assiassin's creed. This is more than likely due to all of the other B&M/amazon etc giving much better incentives than gamestop does. But their higher ups are so stubborn, they think their trade in model is better than giving day one coupons, gc's or discounts.[/QUOTE]

I haven't personally been hassled about pre-orders during the few times I've been in a GS lately, but I definitely believe this. ^ GS has really been touting the exclusive DLC lately, but it just doesn't provide a stronger incentive than GCs/discounted launch MSRPs do, especially when the DLC is going to get an eventual release on XBLM/PSS.

$60 can either net you your game + temporary exclusive DLC, or your game and a $15/$20 GC. If you think about it in these terms, is the DLC usually worth the $15/$20? (highly doubtful it'll release for that price on XBLM/PSS if it's a temporary exclusive).

Gonna check on the new promos when I trade-in TFU2 today if any stores are open.

I don't even understand why you guys trade in games for that little cash back or store credit, might as well sell it online you'd make alot more. I remember I sold MK Vs DC for $50 USED a month after it came out, I sold another Wii game for $30, another for $40, if I had traded those in I would've gotten 75% less + store credit

[quote name='Raiders4life']I don't even understand why you guys trade in games for that little cash back or store credit, might as well sell it online you'd make alot more. I remember I sold MK Vs DC for $50 USED a month after it came out, I sold another Wii game for $30, another for $40, if I had traded those in I would've gotten 75% less + store credit[/QUOTE]
I don't understand why people still post this every week or so. For many of us, GS credit is as good as cash and it's guaranteed rather than hoping someone bites online (and then you pay shipping, fees, and time).

I also don't understand why you bought MK vs DC.

[quote name='Raiders4life']I don't even understand why you guys trade in games for that little cash back or store credit, might as well sell it online you'd make alot more. I remember I sold MK Vs DC for $50 USED a month after it came out, I sold another Wii game for $30, another for $40, if I had traded those in I would've gotten 75% less + store credit[/QUOTE]

I don't sell/trade-in shit often, but it's generally because eBay has fees (and you gotta pay for shipping even if you're reimbursed you need to factor that into how much you're gonna get for your product) and CL is harder to sell on. I'd used Amazon twice until GS' +50% TIV promo this week (Am I really going to get more than $40 for an open copy of LA Noire with no DLC? Nevermind the fees incurred on top of that).

It's more the lack of hassle, but I see your point on titles that are actually worth something or titles I'm not even getting close to their value on.

Oh crap, I just checked Amazon's TIV for TFU2 on the Wii. It's $10.75 (a little lower than the $12 possibly obtained last week, but better than the TIV this week unless there's a decent promo) even though they're selling it for $20. I can see why that game destroyed Midway, MK9 has redeemed some of the original staff though.

Edit: @ Above post

I forgot about time, and I was happy to pay $10 for MK vs. DC during a B1G1 half-off sale @ BB.. well, I was happy for about a week. I feel bad for anyone who bought it @ launcher/for a price higher than $20.

Whenever you get hassled to reserve stuff ask what you will get. A ton of Gamestops around here will hoard any freebies from game reserves or even just the stuff they are supposed to give their employees and they will hand them out to you with reserves if their numbers are bad enough.

[quote name='JJSP']I don't understand why people still post this every week or so. For many of us, GS credit is as good as cash and it's guaranteed rather than hoping someone bites online (and then you pay shipping, fees, and time).

I also don't understand why you bought MK vs DC.[/QUOTE]

They pay for the shipping, and the fees aren't even that much lol. And that was awhile ago it looked interesting but then I realized it sucked ass so I sold it :drool: I'm not trying to get into a argument just wondering why lol

[quote name='Raiders4life']They pay for the shipping, and the fees aren't even that much lol. And that was awhile ago it looked interesting but then I realized it sucked ass so I sold it :drool: I'm not trying to get into a argument just wondering why lol[/QUOTE]

The fees on EBAY suck. $6 of fees from EBAY and almost $2 from Paypal on a $45 video game sale. After shipping, you get around $35. If you hit the GS promos right, you can get $48 for the same game.

[quote name='shiftymcneely']The fees on EBAY suck. $6 of fees from EBAY and almost $2 from Paypal on a $45 video game sale. After shipping, you get around $35. If you hit the GS promos right, you can get $48 for the same game.[/QUOTE]

What do you mean if you hit the GS Promos right? I've never heard of this I haven't traded in a long time :lol:

New promos starting today:

Trade 3, get extra 10%
Trade 5, get extra 20%
Trade 7, get extra 30%

Extra $25 with console trade-in (360, PS3, Wii, PSP, DS, 3DS)

Both offers valid 5/30-6/19

[quote name='Raiders4life']They pay for the shipping, and the fees aren't even that much lol. And that was awhile ago it looked interesting but then I realized it sucked ass so I sold it :drool: I'm not trying to get into a argument just wondering why lol[/QUOTE]

Shifty pretty much points out how annoyingly steep the fees can be.

The person who you sell it to on eBay may technically pay for shipping, but generally when someone buys something on eBay they factor that into how much they wanna spend.

Example:

I want L4D2 for 360 on eBay, but I only wanna spend $25 on it.

So either I pick the seller who has it for $22 + $3 shipping. Or the seller who has it for $25 with free shipping.

Still means you get less than you could, which means you're paying for shipping indirectly which is lowering your profit margin.

I haven't really played with GS promos but they can be good (like last week's +50% TIV or Trade 3 in for an extra $10).

These new promos really suck though (gotta wait 'till June 20th before they go away : ( ) aside from the hardware one, maybe... depends on the news @ E3. I'm hoping the TIV hasn't dived for consoles pre-promo.

[quote name='BobbyTastic']Shifty pretty much points out how annoyingly steep the fees can be.

The person who you sell it to on eBay may technically pay for shipping, but generally when someone buys something on eBay they factor that into how much they wanna spend.

Example:

I want L4D2 for 360 on eBay, but I only wanna spend $25 on it.

So either I pick the seller who has it for $22 + $3 shipping. Or the seller who has it for $25 with free shipping.

Still means you get less than you could, which means you're paying for shipping indirectly which is lowering your profit margin.

I haven't really played with GS promos but they can be good (like last week's +50% TIV or Trade 3 in for an extra $10).

These new promos really suck though (gotta wait 'till June 20th before they go away : ( ) aside from the hardware one, maybe... depends on the news @ E3. I'm hoping the TIV hasn't dived for consoles pre-promo.[/QUOTE]
I see...that's interesting

[quote name='Jello1996']New promos starting today:

Trade 3, get extra 10%
Trade 5, get extra 20%
Trade 7, get extra 30%

Both offers valid 5/30-6/19[/QUOTE]

Bah. This needs to be dollars, not percentages. :(

I pretty much traded away all my games anyways.

[quote name='Raiders4life']I see...that's interesting[/QUOTE]

Is that code for "I have no idea what you're talking about or TL;DR"?

If it's the former, I can clear it up for you. I spout nonsense all the time, so it's forgivable.

[quote name='Jello1996']New promos starting today:

Trade 3, get extra 10%
Trade 5, get extra 20%
Trade 7, get extra 30%

Both offers valid 5/30-6/19[/QUOTE]

:puke:

I forgot to trade in New Super Mario Bros... is the 40% extra credit still active or did i miss out? I remember seeing the coupons they had in store on saturday.

[quote name='Japakneez']Bah. This needs to be dollars, not percentages. :(
[/QUOTE]

Agreed. At least Amazon has been keeping them in check the past year, otherwise TIVs would be even lower.

There is no reason to trade in any games right now to GS. Unless you have 7 games and they are high TIV or under $2 since they didn't qualify on the previous deal.

Because not everyone is trading in games that are high-valued, i.e. BB b1g1 games. One person made 600 on 270.
During the last promo I made 98% profit.

[quote name='AteBit']:puke:

I forgot to trade in New Super Mario Bros... is the 40% extra credit still active or did i miss out? I remember seeing the coupons they had in store on saturday.[/QUOTE]

This was only good for 360 and ps3 games trade-in.

[quote name='shiftymcneely']There is no reason to trade in any games right now to GS. Unless you have 7 games and they are high TIV or under $2 since they didn't qualify on the previous deal.[/QUOTE]

I just did some quick math for 7 games that are valued at 7 with this current promo and past promo:

7gamesx $7=$49 + $4.9 pur bonus = $53.9

Past promo(3-4-10) would've netted you $73.90

Current promo nets you $68.60

Not worth it. If you want to compare evenly (21 games at 7) current promo = 205.8, old promo = 231.7

[quote name='nas6034']Because not everyone is trading in games that are high-valued, i.e. BB b1g1 games. One person made 600 on 270.
During the last promo I made 98% profit.

This was only good for 360 and ps3 games trade-in.

I just did some quick math for 7 games that are valued at 7 with this current promo and past promo:

7gamesx $7=$49 + $4.9 pur bonus = $53.9

Past promo(3-4-10) would've netted you $73.90

Current promo nets you $68.60

Not worth it. If you want to compare evenly (21 games at 7) current promo = 205.8, old promo = 231.7[/QUOTE]

That's not too bad. Assuming you have seven games to trade in now, the more expensive they are the more you'll make. You're only out $5 or $10 if they're $7+ compared to last week, and TIVs might drop in the next few weeks before the new promo starts.

If you had a bunch of chepaer, $2 - $6 games though, you're kind of SOL.

[quote name='biledriver']Whenever you get hassled to reserve stuff ask what you will get. A ton of Gamestops around here will hoard any freebies from game reserves or even just the stuff they are supposed to give their employees and they will hand them out to you with reserves if their numbers are bad enough.[/QUOTE]

A legitimate strategy. I never specifically have done that, however I've seen plenty of stores that were offering leftover goodies from previous pre-orders on top of current pre-orders to try to sway me. Oddly, one store that isn't a favorite of mine because they push pre-orders hard gave me a set of the MvC window clings even before they were available on the PUR website when I did a return from last week's online B2G1 free.

Please don't yell at me, but I didn't see this posted on the front Page. Do you have to return a game that you just bought back to the same GS to get a better copy or can I go to a different one?

Status
Not open for further replies.
bread's done
Back