Gamestop to stop taking in original Xbox game trades as of February 9th!

[quote name='Demolition Man']Somehow this does not surprise me. Given how small most Gamestop stores are along with the average customer more concerned about them having whatever the latest thing is available... yep, XBox has to go.[/QUOTE]

I have 2 large GSes close to me and even they don't allocate any good space to the Xbox. Both have all the Xbox games on those large, unorganized racks in the back. GameCube games get better treatment, being on a nicer rack and near the bargain bin PS2 games.

I don't get why anyone find this surprising considering how MS basically abandoned the original XB as soon as the 360 came out. And Wii, DS, PS2, and 360 games are demanding a lot of space so the Xbox games seem like the most reasonable choice..

I think I only got like 40-50 original Xbox games, all in excellent condition and like half of them still unopened. Like Hell GS is getting any of them for a buck or less! I still got my Xbox from back in the day (03'?) and still in excellent shape. In fact I was playing ESPN 2K5 and Fight Night 2004 last night...man so much fun...

Looks like I have to stop by GS to see what they got.

Remember, if you buy a Xbox, it can be one heck of a media center.

[quote name='mogamer']I'm wondering about this too. I didn't have an Xbox and just been playing the BC titles on my 360. There are a few games that aren't bc or have poor emulation on the 360 I would like to play. Hopefully they'll go down in price. I remember when Gamestop had PS1 and N64 consoles for $19.99 before they cleared out those games. I'd jump on a couple of $19.99 or $24.99 Xboxes.:cool:[/quote]

As I'm sure someone else further along in the thread already mentioned(didn't check those posts yet), BE CAREFUL when buying used systems from Gamestop. Last summer, they had a $50 or so sale on the original Xbox and it took some CAG's going through 5-7 systems to find ONE fully working system.

On the rare chance you can actually find a new Xbox in a store like Kmart, they clearanced them out there a long time ago, so you MAY be able to find one there uber cheap. However, those systems probably disappeared long before they dropped to 90% off.

I'm a frequent visitor of my local CashAmerica Pawn, and they just dropped the price on an Xbox to $40. I would reccomend one from a pawn shop over GS refurbished any day of the week.

So will Gamestop start lowering the prices on Xbox games? What happened when they clearanced N64, PS1, DC?

[quote name='tangytangerine']That would explain why I noticed the shrinking Xbox section at GC when I went a few days before Christmas(most of them were in the 3 for $10 bin). Hopefully they'll continue taking them in after GS stops accepting them.[/quote]

I doubt they will, but if they're smart, they will. The values are lowered down to less than $1 on the vast majority, and are resold for $4.99. With people not being able to go to GS, GC would see a surge in used XBox game sales.

On a side note, I finally got around to picking up Dukes of Hazzard, which, if I am not mistaken, is the last "rare" XBox game that was missing from my collection!

If anyone has a GameCrazy by them and is in the market for a used system, last week they were offering an Xbox and any three used games from their available selection for $60. I'm not sure if its still going on, though.

I already have an Xbox from a yardsale that I haven't touched (and a PS2/GC through current-gen backlog big enough to fill a silo), and there weren't many Xbox games over $8 of interest (and those $8 games were 3 for $5, grabbed Futurama, DDR UM3, and Silent Hill 2), so I just got my GameCube with two Mario Mixes and Pikmin 2 for $50 and a PS2 Slim with Persona 3 (w/soundtrack and art), Persona 4 (w/ soundtrack), and Shining Force Neo for $90.

Mmm, GameCrazy made me

Just got back from one of my local Gamestops and happened to find that the manager had already cleared all Xbox stock earlier that day. The next store I went to had posted that Feb 9th was the cutoff for trade-in. However the first one I was at had already implemented the policy and even stopped selling.

So just a friendly warning that apparently some stores may stop accepting trades AND stop selling Xbox games even sooner than Feb 9th .... one around here did.

[quote name='IAmTheCheapestGamer']As I'm sure someone else further along in the thread already mentioned(didn't check those posts yet), BE CAREFUL when buying used systems from Gamestop. Last summer, they had a $50 or so sale on the original Xbox and it took some CAG's going through 5-7 systems to find ONE fully working system.

On the rare chance you can actually find a new Xbox in a store like Kmart, they clearanced them out there a long time ago, so you MAY be able to find one there uber cheap. However, those systems probably disappeared long before they dropped to 90% off.[/quote]
Ugh, I went to pick one up about 2 weeks before last Christmas, and discovered that the Gamestop nearest my parent's house is made of failures. They tried to sell me an Xbox that had quite clearly been opened (I looked at the bottom to check the manufacture date, as I wanted one as new as possible), and saw that the screw holes had tool marks around them. I pointed it out to the employee and he was like "Oh, whoops!" He went and got another one, and by this point I wanted to make sure it even worked before I got it home, so since it was empty in the place he hooked it up to a TV for me. The damned thing had some sort of custom OS or something installed, as it booted to some really weird looking screen. That's when I just said forget it and walked out of the store. Worked out pretty well for me as about 2 months later I wound up picking up a 360 so I had no need for the original Xbox.

[quote name='Siterath']Just got back from one of my local Gamestops and happened to find that the manager had already cleared all Xbox stock earlier that day. The next store I went to had posted that Feb 9th was the cutoff for trade-in. However the first one I was at had already implemented the policy and even stopped selling.

So just a friendly warning that apparently some stores may stop accepting trades AND stop selling Xbox games even sooner than Feb 9th .... one around here did.[/QUOTE]

A store near me cleared out all their Gamecube games to another store in the district. And the Cube doesn't have a date set yet for when they will stop accepting trade ins.

Damn, maybe I should start checking out some of the stores near me.

What was that about almost all original Xbox games being 3 for $10 in some bin? Haven't seen anything like that yet...

Is it worth buying "refurbished" from Gamestop instead of just a used system? So will Gamestop start lowering the prices on Xbox games? What happened when they clearanced N64, PS1, DC?

[quote name='karkyco']Damn, maybe I should start checking out some of the stores near me.

What was that about almost all original Xbox games being 3 for $10 in some bin? Haven't seen anything like that yet...[/quote]

That was me & Scorch commenting that most of the Xbox games are in the 3 for $10 bin at Game Crazy(as well as being priced at $4.99 used each).

[quote name='J7.']Is it worth buying "refurbished" from Gamestop instead of just a used system? So will Gamestop start lowering the prices on Xbox games? What happened when they clearanced N64, PS1, DC?[/quote]

Not really a difference between them at Gamestop. If you buy a used system from them, have them test the system in the store and let it play a game for a minute to avoid getting one that will not read games as soon as you get home.

As for when they're going start discounting, not sure if it's true. But read on one site from someone claiming to be a GS employee that in the middle of February(soon after they stop taking them), they will be around 50%-75% off(but it hasn't been confirmed right now).

When they clearanced out the N64, DC & PS1 games, they didn't do any type of discount first. About 6 months after stopping trade-ins of those games, they offered 25% off. The discount kept building up for another 6 months until it was 75% off. After that, I don't know, but most likely the stock was shipped to one store in the district to be sold or eventually destroyed. But at that point, it was just old sports games that were left.

[quote name='YodaEXE']Ugh, I went to pick one up about 2 weeks before last Christmas, and discovered that the Gamestop nearest my parent's house is made of failures. They tried to sell me an Xbox that had quite clearly been opened (I looked at the bottom to check the manufacture date, as I wanted one as new as possible), and saw that the screw holes had tool marks around them. I pointed it out to the employee and he was like "Oh, whoops!" He went and got another one, and by this point I wanted to make sure it even worked before I got it home, so since it was empty in the place he hooked it up to a TV for me. The damned thing had some sort of custom OS or something installed, as it booted to some really weird looking screen. That's when I just said forget it and walked out of the store. Worked out pretty well for me as about 2 months later I wound up picking up a 360 so I had no need for the original Xbox.[/quote]

I ended up picking up a second Xbox from someone on CAG for the mere cost of 25-30 of the game guides which are cluttering up the house here. Then, I ended up dumping off my original Xbox to Best Buy to use up the replacement plan I bought on it(since they couldn't replace it since it was already 2 years AFTER they stopped making them).

I still have the spare Xbox, though it's been packed away and collecting dust since I got the PS3 in April of this year.

If your definition of 'refurbished' is 'dusted with a cloth and had a lens cleaner run through it' refurbished, then yes.

Otherwise, no.

[quote name='jaysapathy']If your definition of 'refurbished' is 'dusted with a cloth and had a lens cleaner run through it' refurbished, then yes.

Otherwise, no.[/quote]

That's IF they even do THAT much, since the systems I've seen people buy from them look like a giant dust/dirt bomb went off in close proximity to it and judging from the sheer volume of systems some CAG's had to go through to find ONE working one during the $50 sale over the summer, I'd say they skipped the lens cleaner too.

I keep hearing people whine, justifiably so, about the lack of Backward Compatibility for the Xbox 360 with older Xbox games. It's BC list is very short, indeed.

On Feb. 9th, Gamestop will no longer accept regular Xbox consoles, games, or accessories. Soon after, Gamestop will drop the Xbox price down to $30 (as it was at Xmas time) and let inventory run out. They might also drop the regular Xbox titles/accessories dramatically just to eliminate inventory.

So if you're wanting a cheap solution that'll make backward compatibility a non-issue for older Xbox titles you always wanted to play, wait until after Feb. 9th for that price drop. Then wait for the 25% off coupon, stack it with someone's 10% off Edge card.

That's $30-7.50 = 22.50 - 2.25 = 20.25 + tax for a used Xbox, covered by a warranty (probably 30 day). Well worth the price if BC is much of an issue for you. Then you can always find someone's house probably to hook up the old Xbox so it's there when you visit (like Grandma or something).

Those of you that have an Xbox you've been wanting to get rid of should sell now and get whatever you can for it. After Feb, it's going to be much harder to sell it for much more than $30.

[quote name='PenguinMaster']Coupons and Edge card don't work on systems.[/QUOTE]

LOL shot down.

Still a good price, though I only paid ~$12 for mine (though it was broken, but easily fixed).

Someone should make a list of Non-BC X-Box exclusives or games with X-box exclusive content worth playing. I have a PS2 and it seems most X-Box games worth playing are either on the PS2 or BC? Or am I wrong?

This should not be posted in deals. There's no confirm on $30 xbox systems, just conjecture.

[quote name='pwnthee']

Those of you that have an Xbox you've been wanting to get rid of should sell now and get whatever you can for it. After Feb, it's going to be much harder to sell it for much more than $30.[/QUOTE]

I would think the opposite would be true. Selling it Gamestop now for $3.50 is certainly not going to get you more than $30.

[quote name='jer7583']This should not be posted in deals. There's no confirm on $30 xbox systems, just conjecture.[/quote]

Double down.

I am itching for the $30 boxes though.

I've used the 25% off coupon on accessories and the clerk at one store was going to let me use it on the Xbox at $50, which I started to do because that would've still been just over $30 for the Xbox, still a good deal, but I decided to wait until after Feb. 9th.

There is supposedly an internal memo to management that says the console will drop to $30. They're not advertising that price of course since nobody would buy the system at $50 until then if they knew it was going to drop in a month. It is a confirmed fact that they'll stop receiving regular Xbox merchandise after Feb. 9th. I saw that on an officially printed sign in a Gamestop and I've heard it from several employees at different Gamestops in my area.

I've seen much worse than this posted in deals. Trade-ins are not deals, well, for consumers they're not. They're fantastic deals for Gamestop.

As for BC, it should also be noted that several "BC" games don't exactly jive with the 360 controller. Star Wars Jedi Academy is a good example of this. There are functions assigned to the black & white buttons, so you basically have to keep going into the menu and choosing, which is a royal pain.

I know Star Wars Jedi Outcast is an Xbox exclusive that is not BC. There are definitely other titles, maybe I'll construct a list. When I say Xbox exclusive, I am not counting the PC. The PC is in a league of it's own. It is not a stand alone console and it's games are not marketed the same.

Xbox Exclusives:
Buffy The Vampire Slayer
Crimson Sea (then Crimson Sea 2 is a PS2 exclusive, strange)
Hunter: The Reckoning (actually I think it might be on Gamecube)
Hunter: The Reckoning Redeemer
Ninja Gaiden
Ninja Gaiden: Black
Star Wars Knights of the Old Republic
Star Wars KOTOR 2
Star Wars Jedi Knight 2: Jedi Outcast
Star Wars Jedi Knight 3: Jedi Academy
Star Wars Republic Commando
Fable
Fable: The Lost Chapters
Jade Empire
Scrapland
Sid Meier's Pirates
Thief: Deadly Shadows
Elder Scrolls III

There are other niche titles in which I'm personally interested as well (Kung Fu Chaos, Malice, the Oddworld games, maybe Brute Force, a couple others).

It's not for everybody, but for those gaming completests who want to play some regular Xbox titles, give it a month and you should be able to for a very good bargain. Even if you can't get your gamestop to give you 25% off + 10% off edge card, $30 is still a good deal for a console.

I would contemplate picking up another console (or 2!) at that price. I already have two just to have XBMC in living room/bedroom. It would be nice to have a spare just in case one dies eventually.

[quote name='pwnthee']I keep hearing people whine, justifiably so, about the lack of Backward Compatibility for the Xbox 360 with older Xbox games. It's BC list is very short, indeed.

On Feb. 9th, Gamestop will no longer accept regular Xbox consoles, games, or accessories. Soon after, Gamestop will drop the Xbox price down to $30 (as it was at Xmas time) and let inventory run out. They might also drop the regular Xbox titles/accessories dramatically just to eliminate inventory.

So if you're wanting a cheap solution that'll make backward compatibility a non-issue for older Xbox titles you always wanted to play, wait until after Feb. 9th for that price drop. Then wait for the 25% off coupon, stack it with someone's 10% off Edge card.

That's $30-7.50 = 22.50 - 2.25 = 20.25 + tax for a used Xbox, covered by a warranty (probably 30 day). Well worth the price if BC is much of an issue for you. Then you can always find someone's house probably to hook up the old Xbox so it's there when you visit (like Grandma or something).

Those of you that have an Xbox you've been wanting to get rid of should sell now and get whatever you can for it. After Feb, it's going to be much harder to sell it for much more than $30.[/quote]

When I've sold systems before, I didn't go by Ebay or Gamestop's prices for them, I went by what I felt they were worth.

Admittedly, some of those systems/items are still in my possession, since I refused to let them go for next to nothing, but I would rather keep them forever than give them away.

Why, you might ask? Well, I take care of my stuff, for one. So, just that alone makes my stuff worth more than some shit encrusted Gamestop 'refurbished' console that people have to return 6 fuckin' times because the clerks who took them in didn't actually check them.

As for why I'm keeping my original Xbox, it's simple. I may want to actually PLAY these games in the future and I may be waiting for a good clearance on the remaining stock of some of the games at stores like GC and GS.

Hell, I currently have a sealed copy of Psychonauts(which I never fully completed when my Xbox was still hooked up) and I want to play that again someday. I'd much rather have the actual console the games were originally played on, than hope that the companies work on getting the BC emulation of said console right on their future console(s).

This is just a rumor, but my former co-workers at GS said that the Xbox stuff will be clearance around June. And now most of the smaller stores are shipping all of their current Xbox stock to larger locations.

[quote name='IAmTheCheapestGamer']When I've sold systems before, I didn't go by Ebay or Gamestop's prices for them, I went by what I felt they were worth.

Admittedly, some of those systems/items are still in my possession, since I refused to let them go for next to nothing, but I would rather keep them forever than give them away.

Why, you might ask? Well, I take care of my stuff, for one. So, just that alone makes my stuff worth more than some shit encrusted Gamestop 'refurbished' console that people have to return 6 fuckin' times because the clerks who took them in didn't actually check them.

As for why I'm keeping my original Xbox, it's simple. I may want to actually PLAY these games in the future and I may be waiting for a good clearance on the remaining stock of some of the games at stores like GC and GS.

Hell, I currently have a sealed copy of Psychonauts(which I never fully completed when my Xbox was still hooked up) and I want to play that again someday. I'd much rather have the actual console the games were originally played on, than hope that the companies work on getting the BC emulation of said console right on their future console(s).[/quote]

I've never had a problem buying refurbished products. They accept the products at the store, then the products are sent off to a warehouse, tested, cleaned, and put in those annoying bubble packages, then reshipped to Gamestops.

Anybody with any brain will wait and buy from Gamestop for $30 before buying from a regular person for more with no warranty/possibility of return. A regular person might say it works, might even show you something working, then you get it home and find that it works for 10 minutes then freezes. At least if you buy it from a retail store, you've got a chance at recouping your money or getting a working system.

thats true about the warranty, although even gamestop has been known to sell broken units. (all current age systems) for example RROD use 360's and ps2's with dirty lenses) i might grab one and hell, the games are so cheap! (less then 10 bucks for a large majority of them!) might just build up an easy collection at the same time.

I only look for rare and/or decent games though. Sports titles are a no-no.

Oh my hell, you really believe that?

Gamestop's "refurbished" systems are just used systems traded in. No "cleaning" taking place, rarely is there any testing. Read the thread, half the people in here have had to return Xboxes because they don't work.

If I find a system on Craigslist that is advertised as working, then I will meet up with them, make sure it works, and buy it. And suprisingly, I have a brain..

[quote name='pwnthee']I've never had a problem buying refurbished products. They accept the products at the store, then the products are sent off to a warehouse, tested, cleaned, and put in those annoying bubble packages, then reshipped to Gamestops.

Anybody with any brain will wait and buy from Gamestop for $30 before buying from a regular person for more with no warranty/possibility of return. A regular person might say it works, might even show you something working, then you get it home and find that it works for 10 minutes then freezes. At least if you buy it from a retail store, you've got a chance at recouping your money or getting a working system.[/quote]

[quote name='Strider Turbulence']Regardless, he does have a point about GS's return policy working in your favor.[/quote]

Indeed. That's the one good thing.

Not really part of the topic so much, but does anyone ever find Xbox/PS2 games at Gamestop that AREN'T completely FUBAR? I always browse the Xbox/PS2 bins for games I'm keeping an eye out for (KOTOR, Shenmue II, etc.) and everything in there is beat to hell, with most games not even having cover art.

Just curious as to if anyone else notices this

A return policy is only as good as the store selling it: "That's why I buy from them, because they put the guarantee right. on. the. box!"

I'd rather buy one off Craigslist that actually works than take the risk that I'm buying one from Gamestop that doesn't. Going through 6 or 7 systems before I find a working one is as much of a hassle as trying to get MS to refurb a ringed system.

[quote name='bigdaddybruce44']Indeed. That's the one good thing.[/quote]

I ignore all games that don't have the original book/case and cover. UNLESS it's a rare game i really want i'll get it.

Without the book or original case it has less value

[quote name='jaysapathy']A return policy is only as good as the store selling it: "That's why I buy from them, because they put the guarantee right. on. the. box!"

I'd rather buy one off Craigslist that actually works than take the risk that I'm buying one from Gamestop that doesn't. Going through 6 or 7 systems before I find a working one is as much of a hassle as trying to get MS to refurb a ringed system.[/quote]

As the other poster pointed out, people sell crap on Craigslist, too. And there are plenty of ways to make something seem like it works. I know people who do that all the time, unfortunately. One guy makes a business out of it, actually. Gets crap to work for 10 or 15 minutes and sells it on Craigslist.

R.I.P. Xbox trade-ins at Gamestop... Lost in the refurb purchase discussion is the fact that just yesterday they stopped taking in Xbox game trades. That leaves, I guess, just Gamecrazy and Blockbuster to take them and I've been told BBV is even giving next to nothing for them now. Fortunately as I did not have an Xbox I don't really have many games - mostly stuff I've picked up recently to play on the 360.

Hrm. I tend to buy from a couple of independently owned used stores. For Xboxes, I was buying their broken systems (typically, the DVD drive needed realigning) and fixing them myself. Then I sold the fixed systems to friends who wanted one. Still have a couple left, but I modded them to play video from the hard drive.

I got suckered on craigslist once but it was my fault for not checking the stuff out first. I was in a hurry. It was only a small loss ($50). Never again though. Being the nice guy I am I used to trust people selling, but nowadays, with all the shady people and creeps who hang on CL, you never know.

I'm going to try and pick up Max Payne 2, before the game goes on clearance because it will be more difficult to find later on. I just need the disc. I already have a nice case I got from a store that did not have the disc.

[quote name='io']That leaves, I guess, just Gamecrazy and Blockbuster to take them and I've been told BBV is even giving next to nothing for them now.[/quote]

The majority of XBox games don't trade in at GC anymore.. even high profile titles like Godfather. The most you can get is $2, I think, and that's for Halo 2. Everything else is less.

Same with GBA games. All trade-in values for GBA games at GC were lowered to $2 maximum. All Pokemon GBA games TIV were lowered to $1, which is just ludicris, but I guess they aren't selling much anymore.

[quote name='lolwut?']Not really part of the topic so much, but does anyone ever find Xbox/PS2 games at Gamestop that AREN'T completely FUBAR? I always browse the Xbox/PS2 bins for games I'm keeping an eye out for (KOTOR, Shenmue II, etc.) and everything in there is beat to hell, with most games not even having cover art.

Just curious as to if anyone else notices this[/QUOTE]

I thought it was only my local stores :lol: And they usually smell bad as well, just an FYI.

bread's done
Back