Gamestop - Trade 2, get Heavy Rain for $10 (ymmv?)

DMPugh

CAGiversary!
Feedback
1 (100%)
Last night I was checking out Gamestop.ca's online flyer, and on the 2nd page it advertised Heavy Rain as trade 2, get it for $9.99 (as well as trade 1 for $39.99, and trade 3 for free) with the usual "some restrictions apply" stuff.

So I brought in Metal Gear Solid 4 and Grand Theft Auto IV (both PS3) today at the Bathurst and Bloor location in Toronto. I asked the guy there if these qualify and he said yes, but then thinking about what I asked him followed with "the deal is actually trade 2, get it for $19.99". I told him that that isn't what was on the website last night when I checked the flyer. He even pointed me to an in-store flyer which says it's trade 2 for $19.99. I asked if he could check the online flyer and he said they don't have internet access, and even if he did, he wouldn't be able to change it because it's an online flyer and they only follow in-store flyers. I pointed out that I wouldn't be able to trade my games online to get the deal anyway, and he said it was a good point. :roll: I told him I'd do it anyway.

When he rang it through however, the games actually got bumped up to $25 each, effectively giving me the game for $9.99. When I got home to re-check the flyer, it now says just what it says in-store: trade 2, get it for $19.99. They must have just changed the flyer today.

My guess is that their system hasn't updated yet, so the deal might still be good. I've uploaded the receipt to imageshack in case it might help out anyone: http://img715.imageshack.us/img715/1680/heavyrainreceipt.jpg

Good luck, and let me know what happens if any of you decide to take advantage of this deal!

I was able to do the same. YMMV, but as past titles have gone this should be a 9.99 after a couple 25$ bump ups, as the game only sells 59.99.

I got this deal no problem at Kingsway in Edmonton. I brought in two games and said I wanted to do the trade 2 to get Heavy Rain for $19.99, but when she rang in the games it came up to only $10 owing. Each game netted me $25 each... I have no idea why, but I'm certainly not complaining.

So if i trade in Metal Gear and low priced game I could get the same deal?

Im thinking Warhawk and Untold Legends wouldn't qualify, but would Bioshock 1 count?

I don't get it -- why does GTAIV and MGS4 trade for $25? Is that part of some kind of special promotion or something?

Man, this whole TIV business is so damn convoluted...

Hmm -- so the "usual restrictions apply" is that the TIV has to be over $8?

Last edited by a moderator:
The trade-in value has to be at least $8 in order for the games to work for this deal. It just happened that the games closest to an $8 tiv without going under for me were GTAIV and MGS4. I'm sure there are much better games one could trade in for this deal though, but the point is that as long as they're worth at least $8, they will be bumped up to $25.

This doesn't apply to all games though, but it's working right now for Heavy Rain.

There's a Gamestop in Orleans that I could go to but it's too far away and I don't have the time and I doubt BioShock 1, inFamous, Tornado Outbreak or WWE Legends Of Wrestlemania are worth $8. I might try but I'll be happy to save $10 at Microplay and trade a game or two to lower the cost a bit more.

tornado outbreak and infamous could be bumped up 25$ each, not sure of the outbreak game but its a less popular one.

legends and bioshock may net you 10$ together. not sure on their individual values though.

Tivs.ca should give you a fairly accurate trade value for your games - but what's always best is to just call your nearest EB and ask them to check a few values for you. If they're over $8 you'll be fine. You'll probably want to do it sooner rather than later, as I know a lot of EB's aren't getting too many more copies into the store than the # of pre-orders they have. Kingsway is apparently getting 53 copies in, and as of yesterday AM 47 were for pre-orders.

Well, I'm going to just pass on this as it's a little too late. I can just sell the games for cash, which I would rather have. I just hope the guys at MP have the game tomorrow morning like everybody else.

[quote name='Solid-Snake-Eyes']I saw a poster at Futureshop, trade 2 for Heavy Rain. You could save the $10 if you had valid titles to trade, I guess.[/QUOTE]

The list of eligible games is on Futureshop's website, and they're all pretty much $59.99 games (or games released within the past 6 months or so).

[quote name='kurrptsenate']So if i trade in Metal Gear and low priced game I could get the same deal?

Im thinking Warhawk and Untold Legends wouldn't qualify, but would Bioshock 1 count?[/QUOTE]

If that's Untold Legends PS3, I'm fairly certain it was trading for $10.25 on Sunday. I was pretty shocked when I scanned it in.

On a side note. The pre order bonus from Eb. Chapter 1 will be pushed to march. You will will get the code when you get the game but it will not work.

[quote name='Ranzo']On a side note. The pre order bonus from Eb. Chapter 1 will be pushed to march. You will will get the code when you get the game but it will not work.[/QUOTE]

This is good to know. I was just to go pick up my copy, but I was worried about how this whole pre-order was going to work. As long as I'll be getting the code today. I didn't want to have to keep calling for a month just to get the code later down the road or something.

I was just saying with Talus that this is a good way to keep us gamers to keep the game, while the trade value goes down :p haha. Well that or a way to get back into the game after we beat it.

Yeah, companies are always looking for new ways to get gamers to buy new and to not trade their games in.

I say, drop the price of new games AND include little things like this. It would encourage more people to buy new and they may actually hang onto them too. When you pay $69.99 + tax for a new game, you'll do everything you can to get as much of that back as possible, like trading it back to EB/Gamestop.

With so many AAA titles coming out recently, I think more gamers would buy more games this way. As it is, gamers have to CHOOSE which of these amazing new and upcoming titles they want to shell out nearly $100 each for (unless deals can be had).

Hey, thank goodness for CAG :)

as of now if CSR's put in 2 eligible trade games, they would get bumped to 20$ each, leaving 19.99 for you to pay, if they go through the promotion way.

They would have to manually price over-ride titles to 25, for 9.99.

which one is more likely to happen? also what about for other $59.99 pre-order games? are they all set up in the system as T2 + $19.99 now?

i might drop by kingsway tomorrow to see if i can get it for T2 + 9.99 :< wish me luck! :D

It's hard to say how this is supposed to work though, because if you look at other games on the shelf you can do the T2 +9.99 on games that are 59.99, such as MAG. Games that are priced 69.99 have stickers to make it T2 +19.99... so the employee I got probably just assumed it was the same. Maybe?

i just went to my ebgames (windsor, ontario, tecumseh mall) and it was trade 3 for HR for free
$8 min value
I traded in DMC4, Heavenly Sword, and Killzome 2

[quote name='RobMinhas']Op, through canada in the title, just in case.[/QUOTE]

Just in case of what? Its IN the Canada section of the forums.

Anyways, I traded GTA4 and Halo 3 + 19.99 for Heavy Rain.

I forgot you don't pay tax when you use store credit, so that's ANOTHER $7 you save on top of that.

I actually ended up doing the Future Shop deal. I bought a Rock Band set of Kijiji pretty cheap ($20), then traded that for ACII and L4D2, then traded that for Heavy Rain. Mighty tempting to keep L4D2, though...I haven't played either of them but they look like great games.

But yeah, I like my deal :)

[quote name='thegamecubist']I actually ended up doing the Future Shop deal. I bought a Rock Band set of Kijiji pretty cheap ($20), then traded that for ACII and L4D2, then traded that for Heavy Rain. Mighty tempting to keep L4D2, though...I haven't played either of them but they look like great games.

But yeah, I like my deal :)[/QUOTE]

While you effectively only paid $20 for Heavy Rain, you still could have gotten far more trade value at EB/Gamestop (assuming both those titles are 360, you would have gotten $77 trade-in credit, leaving you with $17 after getting Heavy Rain).

Obviously I am not CAG enough, lolz! Should have checked TIVS.ca before I left to FS!

Coulda used that money for Yakuza 3 :( Oh well, what's done is done.

Last edited by a moderator:
[quote name='FarmhouseMedia']Just in case of what? Its IN the Canada section of the forums.

Anyways, I traded GTA4 and Halo 3 + 19.99 for Heavy Rain.

I forgot you don't pay tax when you use store credit, so that's ANOTHER $7 you save on top of that.[/QUOTE]

Yes, but so many people(out of canada, although they are becoming a lot less common now) are like "this didnt work, your lying." Especially on Future shop deals(they see FS and think for sale). I remember when InFamous was on sale for twenty five dollars, so many posts saying "my store didnt do this, why?".

Why did you have to pay $20, FarmhouseMedia? It still says Trade 2 + $10 on the digital flyer... they better honour my print-out. =/

Went to an EB today, tried to do a T2 + $9.99 for Heavy Rain. The CSR tried to do that, but it showed up as a T2 + $19.99 on when he punched it into the computer.

I tried to show him a PDF flyer printout I brought, but they didn't honour it. Ended up doing a T3 with Mass Effect, GTA4 360, and Trauma Center: Second Opinion. Sigh .

I didn't get that DLC code bonus, either (or was I supposed to?).

bread's done
Back