Gamestop Trade-in ANY PS3 System for $200 credit

callmewoof

CAGiversary!
Feedback
48 (100%)
I tried searching hope this isn't a repost.

Gamestop $200 trade-in for ANY PS3 System

Get $200 trade-in credit for any PS3 system traded.

Offer not good on cash trades. Trades must be in full working condition to receive full value. Hardware must have all necessary components for trade. Cannot be combined with any other offer. Offer subject to change without notice. Trade-ins subject to manager approval. See store associate for details. No dealers. Offer vailid in the United States, Puerto Rico and Guam only. Offer valid 06/28/10 - 07/18/10.

*On a personal note, back in january they were only offering me $115 for my phat (non-bc) 80gb system. I think I might trade it in now for $200 instead. NICE!*

Additional Info:
For those of you who care, consider a squaretrade warranty (I'm not linking, just google it). They're currently running a promo for new warranties (CREDIT GOES TO mail2vrp @ SD):
Squaretrade Warranty 30% Off 6/29 Only (then 20% Off Until Jul-5th)!

Use coupon code 07FOURTH. This is valid for 30% off, up to a maximum of $30 through 23:59 PT June 29th, 2010. After that, coupon code is valid for 20% off through 11:59pm PT July 5th, 2010. Take care!
That works out to:
3 year product Care Plan $38.99
July 4th Sale!-$11.70
Estimated Tax: $0.00
Total$27.29

Add Accidental Spill, Drop, and other damage Protection for only $16.00 This works out to $28 for a 3 year warranty that will fully cover a YLOD (yellow light of death), harddrive failure, laser failure, etc etc. Their warranties give you the full purchase price back if it breaks and they don't fix it - otherwise they fix it.

Last edited by a moderator:
[quote name='MrOlympiaSC']Broken PS3s go for $150 on Ebay.[/QUOTE]

Oh really because according to my search of still working Playstation 3 60GB ... the best prices I am seeing for the launch PS3 is $200 at most.

Unless you can tell me a way to get more money for it?

[quote name='MrOlympiaSC']Broken PS3s go for $150 on Ebay.[/QUOTE]

Odd, I searched completed listings and it looks like broken 60GB units are more in the $50 - $60 range.

[quote name='xplocvo']Odd, I searched completed listings and it looks like broken 60GB units are more in the $50 - $60 range.[/QUOTE]

Yes i am still waiting for above poster to back up his claim of high PS3 prices. I am not seeing them

should I get this deal? my 60GB occasionally freezes on games, and one controller is starting to wear out....its 3 years 3 months old(interesting I'm on my 4th x360 in 4 years)...should I? A new dualshock 3 it at least 40 and 120 gb hd would be, what, 30? So i'm out 60 after taxes?

[quote name='wishman35']Yes i am still waiting for above poster to back up his claim of high PS3 prices. I am not seeing them[/QUOTE]
[quote name='xplocvo']Odd, I searched completed listings and it looks like broken 60GB units are more in the $50 - $60 range.[/QUOTE]

You guys aren't very bright, are you? Those prices you claim for broken PS3s are currently in auctions, not a "Buy it Now" quote.

[quote name='MrOlympiaSC']This is an awful deal for stupid people.[/QUOTE]

why is this a terrible deal again?

[quote name='tkim83']why is this a terrible deal again?[/QUOTE]There's a strong, positive correlation between idiots and not reading.

[quote name='MrOlympiaSC']There's a strong, positive correlation between idiots and not reading.[/QUOTE]

Your just so wrong, if its terrible deal for you don't do it. Don't waste others time whining about it.

[quote name='tightclaws']Your just so wrong, if its terrible deal for you don't do it. Don't waste others time whining about it.[/QUOTE]Whining about it? I couldn't care less about what you guys do with your PS3s. Also, would you care to offer an explanation as to why I'm wrong? I would love to hear it. Are you so naive that you think Gamestop would actually give you a fair deal on a working PS3? Stop being so stupid.

[quote name='MrOlympiaSC']You guys aren't very bright, are you? Those prices you claim for broken PS3s are currently in auctions, not a "Buy it Now" quote.[/QUOTE]

No, I was looking at completed auctions. Didn't know I was only supposed to be looking at BIN listings, so sorry. As with most items on ebay, there's a huge variance in prices for systems - broken ones from $50 up to some people paying $150 like you said. I wouldn't look at the highest of them all and say that's what they go for though.

The convenience factor of not having to deal with ebay outweighs the extra money I could make selling it there. I've dealt with enough bullshit on ebay and craigslist in the last few months to last me a while. To each his own...

I got a good deal, traded my 20 gig with original six axis to get a slim I'm pretty happy about it. You don't like it ? TOO FING BAD.

Also have you ever dealt with Sony on repair? I did not think so its an fing nightmare. Good luck getting anything for your busted PS3 on Ebay Buy it now LOL.
I really think you should just stfu.

If I upgraded my HDD but still have the original can I just swap the original back in and they'll take it? I forgot if that's considered voiding the warranty and if there's a way to tell..

[quote name='MrOlympiaSC']There's a strong, positive correlation between idiots and not reading.[/QUOTE]

How old are you again?

[quote name='bluem00se']If I upgraded my HDD but still have the original can I just swap the original back in and they'll take it? I forgot if that's considered voiding the warranty and if there's a way to tell..[/QUOTE]

Should be no problem at all...

[quote name='bluem00se']If I upgraded my HDD but still have the original can I just swap the original back in and they'll take it? I forgot if that's considered voiding the warranty and if there's a way to tell..[/QUOTE]

yeah its fine you can do that

[quote name='MrOlympiaSC']Whining about it? I couldn't care less about what you guys do with your PS3s. Also, would you care to offer an explanation as to why I'm wrong? I would love to hear it. Are you so naive that you think Gamestop would actually give you a fair deal on a working PS3? Stop being so stupid.[/QUOTE]

I have a launch 60gb PS3 that is going on 4 years old. The chances of a YLOD are starting to get pretty high. If I keep the system and get the YLOD, I have to pay Sony $150 +tax for a refurb unit. If I do this deal now while the PS3 is working, I pay $100 and get a new slim with a warranty.

I don't see how this is a bad deal for launch people.

[quote name='EvilIA']Do you not get "tax credit" for the trade in? Meaning I should only be taxed on $100 for the deal on the same receipt, correct?

disclaimer: I've traded to game stop 1 time in my life, so I don't recall.[/QUOTE]

Depends on your state. Check jp's gamestop trade-in thread. He has a list of which state waives sales tax on credit. For example, Pennsylvania has no problem double dipping on sales tax when purchasing with trade-in credit.

[quote name='ch2423']I have a launch 60gb PS3 that is going on 4 years old. The chances of a YLOD are starting to get pretty high. If I keep the system and get the YLOD, I have to pay Sony $150 +tax for a refurb unit. If I do this deal now while the PS3 is working, I pay $100 and get a new slim with a warranty.

I don't see how this is a bad deal for launch people.[/QUOTE]
I'm in the same boat as you. I won't even have to pay the $100 difference as I have enough unplayed games to trade in to cover that. But at the same time, I've never had even one problem with my PS3 - am I just being paranoid (do you get any kind of warning that the YLOD is imminent, or is it just out of the blue?)

[quote name='TheBigHouse']I'm in the same boat as you. I won't even have to pay the $100 difference as I have enough unplayed games to trade in to cover that. But at the same time, I've never had even one problem with my PS3 - am I just being paranoid (do you get any kind of warning that the YLOD is imminent, or is it just out of the blue?)[/QUOTE]

I was checking this morning to see what some of the precursors to the YLOD are and it seems to be a loud fan or freezing games/movies. Mine has neither. It's been great for 4 years. I'm just torn on if I should jump on this deal. My previous post was partly to pump myself up to do it. I know if I don't, I'll probably get the YLOD in a few weeks.

Also, I never use the BC or the SD card slots. I transport my system 4 times a week so the 5lb difference would be nice.

[quote name='ch2423']I have a launch 60gb PS3 that is going on 4 years old. The chances of a YLOD are starting to get pretty high. If I keep the system and get the YLOD, I have to pay Sony $150 +tax for a refurb unit. If I do this deal now while the PS3 is working, I pay $100 and get a new slim with a warranty.

I don't see how this is a bad deal for launch people.[/QUOTE]

Because the new slims aren't backwards compatible with PS2 games, the greatest library of games there is. I'll be keeping my 60gb launch to it's dying day.

[quote name='bdseed316']Because the new slims aren't backwards compatible with PS2 games, the greatest library of games there is. I'll be keeping my 60gb launch to it's dying day.[/QUOTE]

True, but for me, I rarely use the BC. I also have a slim PS2, so those games will still get played, just without the upscaling and wireless controller.

[quote name='MrOlympiaSC']Whining about it? I couldn't care less about what you guys do with your PS3s. Also, would you care to offer an explanation as to why I'm wrong? I would love to hear it. Are you so naive that you think Gamestop would actually give you a fair deal on a working PS3? Stop being so stupid.[/QUOTE]

$200 for a PS3 is a fair deal. A working 40/80 launch PS3 won't get you more than that. Not only that, but when I search "broken PS3" on ebay, all I see are 50-100 dollar prices, near ending. I have no idea what you're looking at.

The convenience of Gamestop is also there. Posting an Ebay auction along with shipping it out will cost money and time. Not only that, but you're going to have to deal with any problems that arise with the buyer.

If you're really uptight about it, let it go. Calling us retards won't do anything.

[quote name='ch2423']I was checking this morning to see what some of the precursors to the YLOD are and it seems to be a loud fan or freezing games/movies. Mine has neither. It's been great for 4 years. I'm just torn on if I should jump on this deal. My previous post was partly to pump myself up to do it. I know if I don't, I'll probably get the YLOD in a few weeks.

Also, I never use the BC or the SD card slots. I transport my system 4 times a week so the 5lb difference would be nice.[/QUOTE]

I have both at times(loud fan and freezing games), but a quick restore file system(the PS3 equivalent of doing a defrag)and the games stop acting weird.

Although I think it's just that some games push the PS3 harder than others. I've noticed the louder fan with the GTA games for the PS3, as well as Red Dead Redemption and any other game with very few loading screens.

it seems like the current generation (ps3 and 360) are crapping out more than the previous generation consoles. I've had my PS2 for almost 10 years and its been through a lot and still works to this day. Hopefully my 1 and a half year old 80 gb ps3 won't break on me. Didn't know YLODs are common as well.

I am tempted as well. I have the 60GB model. Unfortunately lightning hit my house and fried the LAN port. The unit functions fine, and I have a wireless access point set up right next to the PS3. But the speed is nowhere near what I got with a wired connection. I am willing to give up backward compatibility for better network speed.

I wonder why Gamestop is trying to collect all of these older consoles. They're going to build skynet!

I've only had my PS3 for a year, and the only problem i've had is my own HDD stuttering. I'm not sure if this is worth upgrading.

[quote name='ch2423']I was checking this morning to see what some of the precursors to the YLOD are and it seems to be a loud fan or freezing games/movies. Mine has neither. It's been great for 4 years. I'm just torn on if I should jump on this deal. My previous post was partly to pump myself up to do it. I know if I don't, I'll probably get the YLOD in a few weeks.

Also, I never use the BC or the SD card slots. I transport my system 4 times a week so the 5lb difference would be nice.[/QUOTE]
Man, it's like you are posting FOR me! Exact same for me, it's like I'm trying to talk myself into it.

[quote name='TheBigHouse']Man, it's like you are posting FOR me! Exact same for me, it's like I'm trying to talk myself into it.[/QUOTE]

I'm gonna do it. The pros outweigh the cons. I'd rather sit here with a slim and wonder how long my 60gb would have lasted, than to have a refurb 60gb that someone did God knows what to that I had to pay $150 for.

I still have the original six axis controller too, so I'll upgrade to another dualshock in the process. Time to back up my data and wipe this sucker clean!

God your'e a douche.

[quote name='dnarwhat']I just back from gamestop and traded in my old 60gb. It randomly stops working and its a bit buggy with the wifi. plus i never really used the backwards comparability. Its peace of mind not worrying about the system breaking down, which it eventually will and ull have to pay 100 to send it into Sony.[/QUOTE]

Care to break down the transaction? (Please)

Trade-in value
cost of Ps3

amount due?

[quote name='IAmTheCheapestGamer']I have both at times(loud fan and freezing games), but a quick restore file system(the PS3 equivalent of doing a defrag)and the games stop acting weird.

Although I think it's just that some games push the PS3 harder than others. I've noticed the louder fan with the GTA games for the PS3, as well as Red Dead Redemption and any other game with very few loading screens.[/QUOTE]
My PS3 Slim is much louder when playing GTA compared to something like COD4. It has frozen up a lot since I first bought it, so I think it could easily YLOD after the warranty is up. It hasn't frozen any time recently and I hope it stays that way.

Do Square Trade warranties only work on new items?

[quote name='paddlefoot']Depends on your state. Check jp's gamestop trade-in thread. He has a list of which state waives sales tax on credit. For example, Pennsylvania has no problem double dipping on sales tax when purchasing with trade-in credit.[/QUOTE]

Thank you kind sir. Washington is a no tax.

Hmm I knew that buying that Broken PS3 from Craigslist for $50 was worth it.

Then pestering SONY for a Free Courtesy Repair (which they did). Never even asked for my receipt scan.

Now I flipped it for $200 from Gamestop Sweet.

definitely buying a PS3 Slim now.

[quote name='paddlefoot']Depends on your state. Check jp's gamestop trade-in thread. He has a list of which state waives sales tax on credit. For example, Pennsylvania has no problem double dipping on sales tax when purchasing with trade-in credit.[/QUOTE]

I've never paid attention to this before, but I'm in a no-tax state, so does that mean I'll only get taxed on $100 instead of $300 for a new slim?

[quote name='leungw']I am tempted as well. I have the 60GB model. Unfortunately lightning hit my house and fried the LAN port. The unit functions fine, and I have a wireless access point set up right next to the PS3. But the speed is nowhere near what I got with a wired connection. I am willing to give up backward compatibility for better network speed.[/QUOTE]

Oh that's another thing I noticed. I traded my 60GB PS3 mainly because the fans were so loud. When I went to deactivate my PS3 I had do run the update first because it wouldn't let me log in. So I did the update over Wifi and it downloaded sloooooowly. That has always been a problem with my 60GB PS3.

Anyway, the new Slim I got last night downloaded the firmware update way way way faster over Wifi. So that is another bonus for me.

[quote name='callmewoof']I've never paid attention to this before, but I'm in a no-tax state, so does that mean I'll only get taxed on $100 instead of $300 for a new slim?[/QUOTE]

I got taxed on the full $300 in Cali.

[quote name='Crusher09']My PS3 Slim is much louder when playing GTA compared to something like COD4. It has frozen up a lot since I first bought it, so I think it could easily YLOD after the warranty is up. It hasn't frozen any time recently and I hope it stays that way.

Do Square Trade warranties only work on new items?[/QUOTE]

Yes Square Trade can be used on new and refurbs but can also can work on used items off of ebay only. You would be required to give them the link to the ebay page and invoice so they know if it was in working condition.

I have a friend that might be interested in trading in his system, do you need to purchase another PS3 or can you just use the store credit to get anything else?

[quote name='chatgirl4']I have a friend that might be interested in trading in his system, do you need to purchase another PS3 or can you just use the store credit to get anything else?[/QUOTE]

Anything you want - ps3 slim, xbox 360 slim, a bunch of games, or save it for later. :)

[quote name='ch2423']I'm gonna do it. The pros outweigh the cons. I'd rather sit here with a slim and wonder how long my 60gb would have lasted, than to have a refurb 60gb that someone did God knows what to that I had to pay $150 for.

I still have the original six axis controller too, so I'll upgrade to another dualshock in the process. Time to back up my data and wipe this sucker clean![/QUOTE]
I'm gonna do it as well. I still have a PS2, so I'm actually not gonna lose out on my PS2 library (which I honestly haven't touched in over a year). Peace of mind is worth the $25-$40 out of pocket I'll spend after trading in the console, extra six axis, and a few games.

bread's done
Back