Gamestop Trade-in ANY PS3 System for $200 credit

callmewoof

CAGiversary!
Feedback
48 (100%)
I tried searching hope this isn't a repost.

Gamestop $200 trade-in for ANY PS3 System

Get $200 trade-in credit for any PS3 system traded.

Offer not good on cash trades. Trades must be in full working condition to receive full value. Hardware must have all necessary components for trade. Cannot be combined with any other offer. Offer subject to change without notice. Trade-ins subject to manager approval. See store associate for details. No dealers. Offer vailid in the United States, Puerto Rico and Guam only. Offer valid 06/28/10 - 07/18/10.

*On a personal note, back in january they were only offering me $115 for my phat (non-bc) 80gb system. I think I might trade it in now for $200 instead. NICE!*

Additional Info:
For those of you who care, consider a squaretrade warranty (I'm not linking, just google it). They're currently running a promo for new warranties (CREDIT GOES TO mail2vrp @ SD):
Squaretrade Warranty 30% Off 6/29 Only (then 20% Off Until Jul-5th)!

Use coupon code 07FOURTH. This is valid for 30% off, up to a maximum of $30 through 23:59 PT June 29th, 2010. After that, coupon code is valid for 20% off through 11:59pm PT July 5th, 2010. Take care!
That works out to:
3 year product Care Plan $38.99
July 4th Sale!-$11.70
Estimated Tax: $0.00
Total$27.29

Add Accidental Spill, Drop, and other damage Protection for only $16.00 This works out to $28 for a 3 year warranty that will fully cover a YLOD (yellow light of death), harddrive failure, laser failure, etc etc. Their warranties give you the full purchase price back if it breaks and they don't fix it - otherwise they fix it.

Last edited by a moderator:
$299 for the 120gb slim model IN STORE, on the website they force you to buy the bundle. I think they have the 250gb version as well in stores, forget if thats 350 or 400 I dont remember.

I officially love gamestop ^_^. Went in today to do the Data Transfer in store. (Which failed due to the fact Sony REQUIRES you to update to the newest firmware, even on an offline brand new Slim). So the manager decided to let me take both systems home.

Was hoping for it to have finished in time to take it back tonight, but im gonna be there first thing tommorow at opening with a huge grin on my face.

Holy crap he let you take BOTH systems home? I mean, I'm sure they could press fraud or theft charges or whatever if they had to but still, that seems like a huge risk. LOL nice though! :)

Man this is something I really have to consider. I still have my ps2 for ps2 games and my ps3 is getting old(use it way more than my 360)

[quote name='callmewoof']Holy crap he let you take BOTH systems home? I mean, I'm sure they could press fraud or theft charges or whatever if they had to but still, that seems like a huge risk. LOL nice though! :)[/QUOTE]

Yeah, i offered collateral (I had my DS and a few games in my pocket), but they said it was okay. (I guess its the plus of being a long time customer, been shopping there for like 4+ years).

Well then... I take back my last post.

My PS3 had been giving me problems since this last update. I'm thinking of doing a system restore then trading it in

This is REALLY tempting, I might just bail on the PS3 altogether and build credit for my 360 collection and some good upcoming releases. I used to have all 3 systems and never regretted trading in my Wii. Now it's my PS3 that is a paperweight, used very rarely for Blus or 2nd internet browser. With BluRay players hitting

[quote name='scum1']So exactly what is the cost of a slim at gamestop?[/QUOTE]

for me

$200 trade in credit

$100 for a PS3 Slim out of pocket. And that included the Uncharted 2 Bundle which was $299.99

[quote name='funkflexmctough']This is REALLY tempting, I might just bail on the PS3 altogether and build credit for my 360 collection and some good upcoming releases. I used to have all 3 systems and never regretted trading in my Wii. Now it's my PS3 that is a paperweight, used very rarely for Blus or 2nd internet browser. With BluRay players hitting

i think im just gonna hold onto my 160gig cuz it's only bout 16months old. i just get paranoid this gen and hope my ps3 doesnt ylod ever!

Guys, FYI, save a system update to a thumb drive and follow these instructions:
http://us.playstation.com/support/systemupdates/ps3/pc_update/index.htm

That way, all you need at gamestop is a power outlet and a monitor if they are willing to lend you them for the transfer(one ethernet cable you get and one you'll trade in). something I will call and ask tomorrow.....

to make it go faster you can delete all your game data(installation files).....

[quote name='Crusher09']My PS3 Slim is much louder when playing GTA compared to something like COD4. It has frozen up a lot since I first bought it, so I think it could easily YLOD after the warranty is up. It hasn't frozen any time recently and I hope it stays that way.

Do Square Trade warranties only work on new items?[/QUOTE]
What I've been doing when my system seems to be freezing on games is run a file restore from the PS3's safe mode menu. Turn on the PS3 2x while holding your finger on the power/reset button. During the second startup(it'll shut back down the first time you turn it on and hold the power button), you'll hear three beeps(one immediately, then two close togeter), let go after that and it should bring up the safe mode menu.

You'll have to plug it your controller via USB cable to use it during the process and have to reset any video settings you have, including custom themes, but that's a minor inconvenience to fix freezing issues.

That was the solution I was given by Rockstar AND Sony when I was having freezing issues on my PS3 while playing GTA.

Basically the file restore is essentially the PS3's version of a defrag system. It cleans up the files and puts them back into place, which makes the system even load games faster.

[quote name='MiamiStyle']$100 for a PS3 Slim out of pocket. And that included the Uncharted 2 Bundle which was $299.99[/QUOTE]

They have an Uncharted 2 bundle for $300? Is that a 120gb system?

[quote name='6er']Guys, FYI, save a system update to a thumb drive and follow these instructions:
http://us.playstation.com/support/systemupdates/ps3/pc_update/index.htm

That way, all you need at gamestop is a power outlet and a monitor if they are willing to lend you them for the transfer. something I will call and ask tomorrow.....

to make it go faster you can delete all your game data(installation files)[/QUOTE]

I never reformatted my 40gb's HDD completely before taking it to Gamestop, but then again I didn't store any uber personal info(debit card # for purchases, etc)on there.

Furthermore, I kinda think the clerks at Gamestop would look at ya like you're a pain in the ass if you ask them if you can do what may typically take 2-3 HOURS in their store and expect to stand there while it does it.

Get an external HDD or other media format that'll allow a transfer to the new PS3, make as full of a copy of any and all files you need/want to keep and then sit back and wait till GS opens and the full format is done.

does gamestop offer extended ps3 warranties or do you have to go through sony? i think i might just get one from bestbuy and tiv my ps3...i just like having a warranty

[quote name='Velo214']does gamestop offer extended ps3 warranties or do you have to go through sony? i think i might just get one from bestbuy and tiv my ps3...i just like having a warranty[/QUOTE]
Best Buy's extended warranties are just repair warranties anymore, which means if you want to get right back on PSN playing a game that same day you take your system in you're SOL.

I'd try to find a warranty with a quick turnaround time and perhaps one which just allows a straight up even swap of your failing hardware for a new one in store.

[quote name='IAmTheCheapestGamer']I never reformatted my 40gb's HDD completely before taking it to Gamestop, but then again I didn't store any uber personal info(debit card # for purchases, etc)on there.

Furthermore, I kinda think the clerks at Gamestop would look at ya like you're a pain in the ass if you ask them if you can do what may typically take 2-3 HOURS in their store and expect to stand there while it does it.

Get an external HDD or other media format that'll allow a transfer to the new PS3, make as full of a copy of any and all files you need/want to keep and then sit back and wait till GS opens and the full format is done.[/QUOTE]

I am assuming you don't know much about the PS3: locked save data and games downloaded(and some DLC) to your console are LOCKED to that console, no tranfer, then you lose them.....

But after research into the YLOD and how it's fairly easy to fix( at least for me, heat gun and thermal paste is stupidly simple)....I'm am not sure if I want to go through the hassle....I might put new paste on tomorrow since I have half a tube of artic silver sitting around

[quote name='Tsukento']Now if only they did something like this with the 360 instead of a measly $100 credit towards a Slim. fuck that. I want a PS3. :([/QUOTE]
Considering a brand new XBox 360 Arcade right now retails for $149.99, i think you are out of luck.

Just got home a while ago. Very Excited had to Post. GS accepted my FAT PS3 which I paid $50 for on CL. With a couple of TRade Ins Got a Brand new PS3 Slim for less than $99.99 taxes etc.

I am loving the new PS3 Slim totally Silent. Blurays Load fast.

Can't wait to try Metal Gear Solid 4 and a few other games.

totally worth while Entertainment investment IMO. For $99 bucks heck Yeah!.

Now to swap out for a faster 7200 RPM hdd with 32MB cache buffer. And do some Bluray Calibration on my Sony LED LCD.

Its totally silent, I checked the Serial number made in 2010 so fresh stock and 45nm CPU die chipset, no need for any extended warranty at all.

[quote name='6er']I am assuming you don't know much about the PS3: locked save data and games downloaded(and some DLC) to your console are LOCKED to that console, no tranfer, then you lose them.....

But after research into the YLOD and how it's fairly easy to fix( at least for me, heat gun and thermal paste is stupidly simple)....I'm am not sure if I want to go through the hassle....I might put new paste on tomorrow since I have half a tube of artic silver sitting around[/QUOTE]
All I know is if I turn the PS3 on and it functions, great. If not, then I guess I gotta call Sony, since I am not about to crack open a console I know nothing about the internal workings of.

By this time in the PS2's lifespan I was already able to readily buy used PS2's for $20 and crack them open without worrying bout how much I could possibly fuck up since it was only $20.

But a $300(or more) console I'd rather let someone who knows the inner workings of it work on it.

As it stands though I only use my system to play games and I keep it spotless.

Traded my hot as hell 20 GB fat Ps3 that I got on Craigslist for 150.00 3 years ago. I had given it to my mom so she could watch blu rays, when I got the 80 GB Metal Gear solid bundle for free (bought 5 with free 100 gift cards sold 4 on craigslist with no giftcard), but she gave it back and said it was too loud 6 months ago. I had it collecting dust in the closet.

Today I turned it on and cleared out the memory and she was right it was so loud you couldnt hear the TV clearly. Also it was hot to the touch. They tested the system which took awhile since I had it set up for HDMI and they had to keep resetting it to test it on non hdmi Screen.

Still undecided if i should trade my mint condition PS3 Phat 80gb. I have it for a year and half now but rarely use it and well taken care of. I bought GOW 3 and still haven't open and play it, I bought GOW collections and played it once.

[quote name='IAmTheCheapestGamer']Best Buy's extended warranties are just repair warranties anymore, which means if you want to get right back on PSN playing a game that same day you take your system in you're SOL.

I'd try to find a warranty with a quick turnaround time and perhaps one which just allows a straight up even swap of your failing hardware for a new one in store.[/QUOTE]

Thats completely not true. My Best Buy when you buy the extended warranty they allow a straight swap once they briefly test out to see whats wrong. Ive had no issues swapping out 360/ps3/ipods over the past few years.

[quote name='FlameOnMe']Thats completely not true. My Best Buy when you buy the extended warranty they allow a straight swap once they briefly test out to see whats wrong. Ive had no issues swapping out 360/ps3/ipods over the past few years.[/QUOTE] They don't actually test it most of the time. Just tell them. You it freezes or red ring... They'll replace it right away! That's what i did on my 2 xbox 360...

So I have my saved games filles and 2 PSN games (wioeoutHD and Ractchet) on my HD that I would like to transfer.

Can I just "backup" to an external drive the saves, delete my account on my current pS3 40GB, get the slim, and "restore" the saved games?

Some games don't let you copy the data (LBP, Demon's Souls come to mind). Also, the PSN games you'll have to download again.

For most games, you can copy the saves to a USB key, and then copy them back in, but you'll have to do it one save file at a time (which can be a pain, if you have 50 FFXIII saves).

Gonna have to trade my 60GB in for a slim. That thing is so damn loud and hot now that I have it sitting on my desk and using my 23in monitor. It was ok sitting 10ft away from the couch before.

[quote name='rhenzhen']Still undecided if i should trade my mint condition PS3 Phat 80gb. I have it for a year and half now but rarely use it and well taken care of. I bought GOW 3 and still haven't open and play it, I bought GOW collections and played it once.[/QUOTE]

If it's in mint condition, I wouldn't trade it in. From what I know, the slim isn't significantly better than the 80 GB (I'm guessing you have the nonBC 2 USB - it sounds like you bought your ps3 around the same time I did mine). The only reason I can see to trade in, is because you like how the slim looks and want extra HDD space.

That.. or your PS3 has been acting shady lately, but like you said, it's in mint condition.

Just traded in my launch 60gb for a slim. Cost $123.24 out of pocket. The Gamestop employee looked at me like I had 3 heads when I told him I wanted to trade it in.

Pretty happy with the trade.

[quote name='ch2423']Just traded in my launch 60gb for a slim. Cost $123.24 out of pocket. The Gamestop employee looked at me like I had 3 heads when I told him I wanted to trade it in.

Pretty happy with the trade.[/QUOTE]

[quote name='callmewoof']Funny how they hate the CUSTOMER for it, but the trade promo comes from CORPORATE. Like it's our fault. :p[/QUOTE]

I think it had more to do with the fact that the employee couldn't believe he would trade in a fully-BC PS3. The employee isn't factoring in how long these 1st gen PS3 systems are lasting. They aren't in the same pallbark as the RROD, but the diodes do appear to have a limited shelf-life.

Can anyone think of a reason I shouldn't trade in my 40GB PS3? It's like the ugly duckling of the PS3 family.

[quote name='tkim83']If it's in mint condition, I wouldn't trade it in. From what I know, the slim isn't significantly better than the 80 GB (I'm guessing you have the nonBC 2 USB - it sounds like you bought your ps3 around the same time I did mine). The only reason I can see to trade in, is because you like how the slim looks and want extra HDD space.

That.. or your PS3 has been acting shady lately, but like you said, it's in mint condition.[/QUOTE]

You dont think moving from 65 nm Cell and 65 nm RSX (based on the last fat PS3) to a 45 nm Cell and 40 nm RSX (based on the latest slim model CECH-2101A/B) is not a significant upgrade?

Saw this on Craiglist. Any idea if this is YLOD?

"turns on but doesnt show anything... "

I sent email asking what color lights were flashing during boot up. If it's YLOD, I may buy it and repair it to keep and trade in mine for the credit or get a Slim for another room.

I traded my 40GB PS3 in today. Employee was friendly and no hassle. $200 is the fair market value for the 40GB on ebay/craigslist anyway, so a no hassle/no fee transaction is much preferred.

Picked up the 120GB slim. Can't wait to hook it up tonight.

I have a 40GB that a use rarely (mainly a PC gamer)... I think I'll just keep it around. I keep it hard turned off (switch in back) when I'm not using it.

[quote name='HaggarCodyGuy123']You dont think moving from 65 nm Cell and 65 nm RSX (based on the last fat PS3) to a 45 nm Cell and 40 nm RSX (based on the latest slim model CECH-2101A/B) is not a significant upgrade?[/QUOTE]

Sure hardware wise that's an upgrade. But (for me - not speaking for everyone), this upgrade isn't enough that I would shell out another 100 just to get the 45 nm Cell. My PS3 sounds quiet enough for me. You can bring up the electricity power savings, but let's be honest.... that would be considered 'minimal' savings... no? Have the last fat ps3s been known to ylod frequently?

If on the other hand, the slim offered upgrades comparable to the 360 slim, I would take advantage of this trade in a heartbeat.

[quote name='tkim83']Sure hardware wise that's an upgrade. But (for me - not speaking for everyone), this upgrade isn't enough that I would shell out another 100 just to get the 45 nm Cell. My PS3 sounds quiet enough for me. You can bring up the electricity power savings, but let's be honest.... that would be considered 'minimal' savings... no? Have the last fat ps3s been known to ylod frequently?

If on the other hand, the slim offered upgrades comparable to the 360 slim, I would take advantage of this trade in a heartbeat.[/QUOTE]

True, but to be honest the upgrades of the 360 slim aren't improved features so much as they're features that were lacking from day 1 (too loud, too hot, tiny harddrives, no wifi (when devices that cost 10x less and were 20x smaller had wifi built in no problem)). So it doesn't seem fair to compare a ps3 slim to the 360 slim. The ps3 slim actually is more of a real upgrade than a "fix" like the 360.

[quote name='callmewoof']True, but to be honest the upgrades of the 360 slim aren't improved features so much as they're features that were lacking from day 1 (too loud, too hot, tiny harddrives, no wifi (when devices that cost 10x less and were 20x smaller had wifi built in no problem)). So it doesn't seem fair to compare a ps3 slim to the 360 slim. The ps3 slim actually is more of a real upgrade than a "fix" like the 360.[/QUOTE]

Oh no, I totally agree. But that was my point. Even though the Xbox got 'fix'ed more than 'upgraded.' it was a very significant upgrade. At the same time, its hard for me to justify shelling out another 100 (which is a third of the current cost) after buying the console just last March. If the PS3's average lifespan were say 3 years, then I guess I would come out even right?

Edit: Yes, I get that the ps3 might be functionally quieter so over the lifetime of the console, ... but the ps3 I own is already pretty close to "whisper quiet" (that was a jab at one of the selling points for the 360 slim :) )

......Also, I'm trying really hard not to spend the money to upgrade, so please don't reason logically with me and push me towards the buying side :x

I traded in my launch 60GB today. I had credit from game trade ins, so it didn't cost anything out of pocket. Plus since it was all credit I wasn't charged tax at all. :)

[quote name='DrNo888']Saw this on Craiglist. Any idea if this is YLOD?

"turns on but doesnt show anything... "

I sent email asking what color lights were flashing during boot up. If it's YLOD, I may buy it and repair it to keep and trade in mine for the credit or get a Slim for another room.[/QUOTE]

I'm almost willing to bet that he changed TV's or output port on the PS3 and it is sending the signal to HMDI/composite instead of what his TV is wanting. I've seen it. Just hold down power on boot until you hear two beeps that will reset the video to default.

[quote name='SolidMGSnake']What if u forgot to deactivate your ps3? cud u go back to gamestop and ask nicely if they'll let u???[/QUOTE]

Call, it would require internet access, not sure if stores have access.

My original Sixaxis controller has sticky joysticks and they were going to charge me $80 to refurb it so I said screw it. I'll put it up on Craig's List and see what happens.

[quote name='FlameOnMe']Thats completely not true. My Best Buy when you buy the extended warranty they allow a straight swap once they briefly test out to see whats wrong. Ive had no issues swapping out 360/ps3/ipods over the past few years.[/QUOTE]
But did you get those warranties a couple of years ago? I ask because they did change them over from Product Replacement Plans to Product Service Plans now, which requires them to attempt 2-3 times to repair your item and then you might receive the credit towards a new item.

That's why I stopped getting my big ticket items from BB, since those warranties changed and made it harder to just get a quick swap out for a new item.

[quote name='timobkg']Some games don't let you copy the data (LBP, Demon's Souls come to mind). Also, the PSN games you'll have to download again.

For most games, you can copy the saves to a USB key, and then copy them back in, but you'll have to do it one save file at a time (which can be a pain, if you have 50 FFXIII saves).[/QUOTE]

Shit. Those are the two games I actually want to back up. I just have 1 LBP level that I made for my kids that I want to keep. Can you back those up at all?

And as for Demon's Souls...I could probably get to where I left off pretty easily since I did all the preceding stuff over and over, and over. And over. :lol:

bread's done
Back