Gamestop Trade-in ANY PS3 System for $200 credit

callmewoof

CAGiversary!
Feedback
48 (100%)
I tried searching hope this isn't a repost.

Gamestop $200 trade-in for ANY PS3 System

Get $200 trade-in credit for any PS3 system traded.

Offer not good on cash trades. Trades must be in full working condition to receive full value. Hardware must have all necessary components for trade. Cannot be combined with any other offer. Offer subject to change without notice. Trade-ins subject to manager approval. See store associate for details. No dealers. Offer vailid in the United States, Puerto Rico and Guam only. Offer valid 06/28/10 - 07/18/10.

*On a personal note, back in january they were only offering me $115 for my phat (non-bc) 80gb system. I think I might trade it in now for $200 instead. NICE!*

Additional Info:
For those of you who care, consider a squaretrade warranty (I'm not linking, just google it). They're currently running a promo for new warranties (CREDIT GOES TO mail2vrp @ SD):
Squaretrade Warranty 30% Off 6/29 Only (then 20% Off Until Jul-5th)!

Use coupon code 07FOURTH. This is valid for 30% off, up to a maximum of $30 through 23:59 PT June 29th, 2010. After that, coupon code is valid for 20% off through 11:59pm PT July 5th, 2010. Take care!
That works out to:
3 year product Care Plan $38.99
July 4th Sale!-$11.70
Estimated Tax: $0.00
Total$27.29

Add Accidental Spill, Drop, and other damage Protection for only $16.00 This works out to $28 for a 3 year warranty that will fully cover a YLOD (yellow light of death), harddrive failure, laser failure, etc etc. Their warranties give you the full purchase price back if it breaks and they don't fix it - otherwise they fix it.

Last edited by a moderator:
[quote name='Abe_Froman']Pulled the trigger on this deal today. Traded in my 40 GB, plain Sixaxis controller, and the tortured and mangled composite A/V cables from my launch day PS1 (heh). Received the 2101A model slim and it's completely -silent-. I'm very happy with this deal.[/QUOTE]
I probably would have kept the AV cables unless you didn't have a choice. Just for nostalgia purposes lol.

I'm betting that the guy that rang up my trade is gonna buy my old BC 60gig, as he said he was looking for one. Good luck to him on the laser lasting!

Loving the new Slim, 120GB will soon be replaced by 320GB 32MB cache buffer 7200RPM HDD.

Why would anyone hold onto an OLd FAT? Even if it has Full PS2 Emotion Engine Hardware BC chip. Who plays PS2 games??

PS3 Slim has so many benefits.

- uses less power, (old 90nm really got hot lights dimmed)
- stays cool 45nm CPU
- Full 1 Year Warranty coverage. (Sony's generous Policy they sent me a new Dual Shock 3 and let me keep the old Dual Shock 3)
- better build quality
- smaller lighter
- to me its faster snappier loads a bit faster.

and with x.v. Deep Color via HDMI 1.3b to my 10-bit IPS LCD, theres no more color banding or stepping like in 8-bit LCD's or 8-bit HDTV's.

[quote name='Abe_Froman']Pulled the trigger on this deal today. Traded in my 40 GB, plain Sixaxis controller, and the tortured and mangled composite A/V cables from my launch day PS1 (heh). Received the 2101A model slim and it's completely -silent-. I'm very happy with this deal.[/QUOTE]

yah. It's truly amazing how silent it is :p

[quote name='MiamiStyle']Loving the new Slim, 120GB will soon be replaced by 320GB 32MB cache buffer 7200RPM HDD.

Why would anyone hold onto an OLd FAT? Even if it has Full PS2 Emotion Engine Hardware BC chip. Who plays PS2 games??

PS3 Slim has so many benefits.

- uses less power, (old 90nm really got hot lights dimmed)
- stays cool 45nm CPU
- Full 1 Year Warranty coverage. (Sony's generous Policy they sent me a new Dual Shock 3 and let me keep the old Dual Shock 3)
- better build quality
- smaller lighter
- to me its faster snappier loads a bit faster.

and with x.v. Deep Color via HDMI 1.3b to my 10-bit IPS LCD, theres no more color banding or stepping like in 8-bit LCD's or 8-bit HDTV's.[/QUOTE]
We get the point, your TV is "rare". And yes, people still do play PS2 games....

:newbie:

MiamiStyle you are still on HDMI 1.3b? psssshhh HDMI 1.4a for the rest of the CAG crew.

[quote name='HumanSnatcher']I'm betting that the guy that rang up my trade is gonna buy my old BC 60gig, as he said he was looking for one. Good luck to him on the laser lasting![/QUOTE]

When I told the guy at GS that I was probably gonna bring in my 60GB - he said that there had been another customer in earlier looking for one and that "maybe he'll come back in after you trade yours in, and buy yours from us". Which begs the question: they sell the BC 60GB as "refurbished", not "used". To me, refurbished implies some sort of legit testing and fixing any potential problems - a far cry from just turning around and selling it to the next customer. Good luck to anyone who simply buys mine used.

[quote name='TheBigHouse']When I told the guy at GS that I was probably gonna bring in my 60GB - he said that there had been another customer in earlier looking for one and that "maybe he'll come back in after you trade yours in, and buy yours from us". Which begs the question: they sell the BC 60GB as "refurbished", not "used". To me, refurbished implies some sort of legit testing and fixing any potential problems - a far cry from just turning around and selling it to the next customer. Good luck to anyone who simply buys mine used.[/QUOTE]
I too get a kick outta when they call the consoles 'refurbished' when in fact they're just tossed in a box, stickered to hell and resold to the next sucker to come through the door.

From the looks of the PS2 console I bought(and then returned about 2-3 days later)they just took it in and boxed it up for sale. It still had the dirt/gunk on it from the prior owner.

But I guess when you're paid about $7 an hour you really don't wanna actually make the items you're selling for the company look like new.

I might have to do this... I love my 60gb, but it's starting to worry me.
I have a PS2 Slim for PS2 games and I've never used the bc features on my PS3.

This is so tempting as my bluray laser is starting to act up but I actually like the look of fat ps3 over the slim..

I haven't seen this mentioned anywhere, but if your area has the Power Up program you can get 7000 points out this deal. The trade in gets you 4000pts and the slim purchase gets you 3000pts. I thought you would only get 1000 for the purchase, since you're only paying $100 cash, but an employee told me I'd get the points for the full $300.

Not a bad little bonus.

[quote name='dino88']I haven't seen this mentioned anywhere, but if your area has the Power Up program you can get 7000 points out this deal. The trade in gets you 4000pts and the slim purchase gets you 3000pts. I thought you would only get 1000 for the purchase, since you're only paying $100 cash, but an employee told me I'd get the points for the full $300.

Not a bad little bonus.[/QUOTE]

They hooked me up on this deal, but the points haven't shown up on my account yet. If they haven't shown up by Monday I'll be heading back to GS with my receipt.

Well, for some reason, it seems like my old PS3 (Motorside bundle) is acting weird. The Netflix Instant Streaming disc is booting up, but not loading the videos after viewing the selection. I thought it had something to do with BD-Live, so I tried a recent BD movie (District 9) and it does the same thing after booting up the disc, which essentially loses video connection or that my TV doesn't recognize both video and audio (through optical) anymore.

This has never occurred before, and it still plays all my games just fine. This is a bit worrying as I don't know what the main culprit is and if this is a warning sign that I should take advantage of this promotion.

Anyone else experience this issue before?

II'd like to get in on this deal but would there be any way to back up my dlc and gamesaves? I really dont want to lose it. Especially since I've spent about $100 in dlc.

[quote name='FlamedLiquid']II'd like to get in on this deal but would there be any way to back up my dlc and gamesaves? I really dont want to lose it. Especially since I've spent about $100 in dlc.[/QUOTE]
Shared DLC or DLC that you've downloaded directly to your account after buying it? If it's just the second one, then you should be able to re download all of it from the store from your downloads list.

As for the saves, some of them are locked to the HDD unfortunately. You can find out which ones by going into information for each save.

My 80gb BC works fine with no problems and also is quiet. Reading this thread makes me wonder if I should jump on the band wagon. I have $300 in credit on my edge card.... decisions, decisions.

I just did this yesterday. I had a 20gb first generation, so it was a no-brainer for me. That console, while backwards compatible, didn't even have built in wireless. Now I have 100 extra GB, wireless, a better controller (other one was simply an axis). Plus, the new player is, well, newer and carries a warranty. The only negatives were not being able to transfer some files over, notably my Heavy Rain save.

[quote name='MiamiStyle']Hmm I knew that buying that Broken PS3 from Craigslist for $50 was worth it.

Then pestering SONY for a Free Courtesy Repair (which they did). Never even asked for my receipt scan.

Now I flipped it for $200 from Gamestop Sweet.

definitely buying a PS3 Slim now.[/QUOTE]

He has a history..

[quote name='breakin2']I just did this yesterday. I had a 20gb first generation, so it was a no-brainer for me. That console, while backwards compatible, didn't even have built in wireless. Now I have 100 extra GB, wireless, a better controller (other one was simply an axis). Plus, the new player is, well, newer and carries a warranty. The only negatives were not being able to transfer some files over, notably my Heavy Rain save.[/QUOTE]
I am wondering that if I keep my 320 GB HDD that I upgraded on my old PS3, remove it, and then replace it on the new slim PS3, would I run into any issues with playing these save files (I too have a Heavy rain save). I would assume I would have no issues if I'm just moving my HDD over.

has anyone received a $265 credit for trading their ps3 here in NYC? i saw someone mention that earlier? if thats the case i may swap my 60gb ps3 for a slim. i got the 60gb from Blockbuster from various trade in credit back when it was easy aka Monster Madness, Forza2/MUA, etc. lol. So i think out of pocket from buying games to trade was $120.

OMG! omg!! just finished installing new (well old) 320GB 7200RPM 2.5" HDD 32MB cache buffer that I had laying around. Formatted perfectly.

Its a HUGE!! difference, going from Stock 120GB 5400 RPM HDD with 8MB cache buffer Sony HDD. To this I would roughly guess everything is close to twice as fast in loading etc.

The Upgrade from 8MB cache buffer to 32MB cache buffer on the HDD really matters. Basically I have no more load times period.

[quote name='nflsonic']I am wondering that if I keep my 320 GB HDD that I upgraded on my old PS3, remove it, and then replace it on the new slim PS3, would I run into any issues with playing these save files (I too have a Heavy rain save). I would assume I would have no issues if I'm just moving my HDD over.[/QUOTE]

You would be prompted to format. It is not going to let you use the previous data that plugging in the hard drive has.

[quote name='nflsonic']I am wondering that if I keep my 320 GB HDD that I upgraded on my old PS3, remove it, and then replace it on the new slim PS3, would I run into any issues with playing these save files (I too have a Heavy rain save). I would assume I would have no issues if I'm just moving my HDD over.[/QUOTE]
If you go to just put a HDD from another PS3 into a new PS3 it'll format it, thus wiping out the saves you want to try and save in the first place.

The only way to keep the saves is to do a full transfer, which would require you to have both PS3's going, but therein lies another problem in that you want to put the 320 gb HDD in the new PS3, right?

So unless you can find a large enough flash drive to store a full copy of everything you wanna keep from your HDD onto, you might be SOL.:cry:

[quote name='HaggarCodyGuy123']You would be prompted to format. It is not going to let you use the previous data that plugging in the hard drive has.[/QUOTE]
Ah crap, I completely forgot about that. Well, I suppose I'll just do a backup to my external. I hope many of the recent games released this year aren't save protected.

Will I have any problem using an existing MLB.tv membership on a new system? Might be a dumb question, but I don't know if those accounts are tied to the system or just your psn account.

Finally traded in my old non-bc 80gb system for a new 120gb slim (model 2101A) for $108.25 out the door (only taxed on the $100). No more loud dying behemoth! YAY! Finally, a gamestop promo that didn't jack up with glitches and suckiness. :)

Traded in my 2+ year old 40gb for a 120gb slim today. My 40gb gave me very few problems, but this deal was too good to pass up. If you've built up credit on recent trade-in promotions the deal is even sweeter.

Just traded my old 20 gig PS3 for a new 120 gig Slim. It was a no brainer. Not only did I get a larger hard drive, I got rid of my original sixaxis for a new dual shock sixaxis. :D

a couple questions

1.should i wipeout the hard drive on my old 40gb before going to gamestop?

2. to get trade in i need console, controller, power cable, av cable, anything else?

[quote name='jcwkings']a couple questions

2. to get trade in i need console, controller, power cable, av cable, anything else?[/QUOTE]
Answers:
1. I would just to be on the safe side.
2. You need all those, plus the USB charge cable that came with your system.

[quote name='CaoPi']kinda suprised that this thread has so many view, you can get more if you sell on craigs and such[/QUOTE]

Not in my area, most 40 gigs posted for around 150.

2. to get trade in i need console, controller, power cable, av cable, anything else?[/QUOTE]

1. I just did a quick system restore, the other option would have take 3+ hours. Before doing the restore, don't forget to deactivate the system from your psn account.

First sign in to your psn account and then go to:

Account Management>System Activation>PS3 System>Game>Deactivate System

2. As nflsonic said, you'll also need the usb cable that connects to your controller.

And I believe you should sign into PSN and deactivate the ps3 as well

[quote name='Vinnyg32']And I believe you should sign into PSN and deactivate the ps3 as well[/QUOTE]

Thanks on that tip, totally forget about that and was just backing up my system now.

I've backed up my PS3 onto an external hard drive, and I know the trophies don't save, you need to sync them. What I'm not sure of is what data will get lost when you back up? It said not everything is backed up and I'm unclear as to what I will lose if I do upgrade to the slim and restore from my external hard drive. Anyone got any clarification on that? Thanks.

Just took advantage of the deal too, traded in my 40GB PS3 for the 120, I am pretty happy about the trade, trade in a bunch of old games I never play or have beaten to make up the difference.

Traded up my 2 year old 40 GB for a 120GB slim. The 40GB had no problems but it's nice to have a system that's newer, smaller, more reliable, etc. and has a brand new warranty. I was taxed for the 300 though, so it was about 127. I'm also disappointed that I had to lose some save data since I backed up my HDD and restored on the new PS3 (I wanted to use the 200 credit ON the slim because I never shop at Gamestop and didn't want $200 in credit for future purchases). Overall though, it was a great deal and I'm glad I did it. I just wish I could have copied all my saves over though, it was tough losing my Dragon Age, Demon's Souls, and Heavy Rain data...

[quote name='dino88']1. I just did a quick system restore, the other option would have take 3+ hours. Before doing the restore, don't forget to deactivate the system from your psn account.

First sign in to your psn account and then go to:

Account Management>System Activation>PS3 System>Game>Deactivate System

2. As nflsonic said, you'll also need the usb cable that connects to your controller.[/QUOTE]
alright thanks dino and nflsonic. i didn't even know about the deactivate system.

Hmm this might be a good deal for me. I bought my slim earlier this year at income tax return time, and I never play it. I have no games for it and have no friends with a PS3 to play online with. Perhaps I'll trade it and the Show in toward a 360 Elite bundle and immediately trade in the games I get with it to buy something I would play a lot of online.

Boy was I pissed when I discovered I had 97 of 111 GB free upon the first power-up. I did a little research on why this is besides the obvious OS reserved space, but I am still slightly bummed. However, glad I bit on the deal.

[quote name='Game_Dude_3']Quick question, if you have an edge card, do you get an extra 10%?[/QUOTE]

It's listed on my receipt as $160 trade in value and a bonus $40 promo. No added edge bonus.

[quote name='callmewoof']Finally traded in my old non-bc 80gb system for a new 120gb slim (model 2101A) for $108.25 out the door (only taxed on the $100). No more loud dying behemoth! YAY! Finally, a gamestop promo that didn't jack up with glitches and suckiness. :)[/QUOTE]

so they only tax the 99 not the whole 299 can someone confirm this?

traded in my 20gb for a 250 Slim. Guys at the store I normally work at couldn't understand why I would do it. Didn't want to tell them cuz the things on its last legs.

[quote name='Game_Dude_3']Quick question, if you have an edge card, do you get an extra 10%?[/QUOTE]

Yes, absolutely. It says so right in the OP.

[quote name='solid1127']so they only tax the 99 not the whole 299 can someone confirm this?[/QUOTE]

It depends on your state. Check the GS TIV thread to see which states charge sales tax on purchases made with credit.

[quote name='solid1127']so they only tax the 99 not the whole 299 can someone confirm this?[/QUOTE]

If you live in MA, you get taxed the full 300

I tried to go yesterday to trade in my 80GB PS3 (from the Motorstorm bundle) and the kid politely refused my trade-in, saying that I could probably get more if I sold it online due to being backward compatible. I honestly never looked online, so I took it back and went to check on sites such as ebay and Amazon. After a few minutes, there really isn't any huge increase as the average price for one is $220.

At least the kid at GS was kind enough to remind me to look online and check. But seeing as I already have $40 in store credit, selling my console online doesn't seem to be that much more worth it for the possibility of selling it for $20 more than what I can get at GS.

Plus, BD-Live on my system seems to be acting weird, creating a "No signal" problem to my TV.

^Plus if you are buying the slim and your state doesn't charge tax on credit purchases, you will be saving ~$20 in tax with that $200 store credit.

bread's done
Back