Gamestop Trade-in ANY PS3 System for $200 credit

callmewoof

CAGiversary!
Feedback
48 (100%)
I tried searching hope this isn't a repost.

Gamestop $200 trade-in for ANY PS3 System

Get $200 trade-in credit for any PS3 system traded.

Offer not good on cash trades. Trades must be in full working condition to receive full value. Hardware must have all necessary components for trade. Cannot be combined with any other offer. Offer subject to change without notice. Trade-ins subject to manager approval. See store associate for details. No dealers. Offer vailid in the United States, Puerto Rico and Guam only. Offer valid 06/28/10 - 07/18/10.

*On a personal note, back in january they were only offering me $115 for my phat (non-bc) 80gb system. I think I might trade it in now for $200 instead. NICE!*

Additional Info:
For those of you who care, consider a squaretrade warranty (I'm not linking, just google it). They're currently running a promo for new warranties (CREDIT GOES TO mail2vrp @ SD):
Squaretrade Warranty 30% Off 6/29 Only (then 20% Off Until Jul-5th)!

Use coupon code 07FOURTH. This is valid for 30% off, up to a maximum of $30 through 23:59 PT June 29th, 2010. After that, coupon code is valid for 20% off through 11:59pm PT July 5th, 2010. Take care!
That works out to:
3 year product Care Plan $38.99
July 4th Sale!-$11.70
Estimated Tax: $0.00
Total$27.29

Add Accidental Spill, Drop, and other damage Protection for only $16.00 This works out to $28 for a 3 year warranty that will fully cover a YLOD (yellow light of death), harddrive failure, laser failure, etc etc. Their warranties give you the full purchase price back if it breaks and they don't fix it - otherwise they fix it.

Last edited by a moderator:
[quote name='Remeard']I've heard people say that a third party controller will work, worth giving a shot[/QUOTE]

I called 2 different Gamestops and got two different answers. At one of them the girl said "yes you can trade in using a 3rd party controller" and the other store which was a guy said no "it has to be a Sony controller".

With my luck if I go to the store where the girl works, she will call her manager and tell me that it has to be a Sony controller. I had the same experience with two girl clerks shooting me down at Best Buy on the $10 Blur deal.

Are there any deals on books on how to flirt to get deals? :lol:

:ps3: phat 200.00 (system, six axis, usb charge cable, and power cable)

Finally decided to trade in my 2+ year old 40 gb phat :ps3 along with Blur. The guy plugged it in and had to setup the ps3 since I reset it to factory settings after formatting the hard drive and deactivating my ID. He didn't even test a game, after a few minutes turned it off and asked me what I thought about Blur. I asked if they had any 2101A 120 GBs in stock, he said not sure and the other guy went to check and came back with the machine. I confirmed it was a 2101A and they rang up my transaction 320.24 and I paid with some credit.

I have not opened it yet, just in case Sony announces another model in the next few weeks.

Traded in a PS3 and Blur, Wii Sports, and Call of Duty 4 PS3 for a total of $242

Total spent on all 4 of those items $7...not a bad turn around if I do say so myself.

I bought a bigger hard drive from NewEgg.com for my current system and my PSN account is now maxed at 5 people.

If I put my brothers PS3 hard drive in my PS3 i plan to trade in, then reinsert my old hard drive back into the new PS3 slim and give my brother the new hard drive, can I still use my PSN account with that hard drive?

I guess some better questions would be, is it the hard drive that determines when you max out your 5 PS3 for your PSN account?

Also is it even possible to swap out the hard drives between these different PS3 models?

Hey guys, I have a CECHL01 - 65nm/65nm 80 GB Fat PS3 model came with dual shock controller.....i bought it a year ago and don't see any issues with it...although it does get little hot during afternoon hours....

Do you guys think i should jump in on this for a new slim ps3?

I am not very tech savvy i just read the serial number on the box as I saw people mentioning it for the newer models....... Will it be a good switch for me ?

[quote name='mrman1980']Hey guys, I have a CECHL01 - 65nm/65nm 80 GB Fat PS3 model came with dual shock controller.....i bought it a year ago and don't see any issues with it...although it does get little hot during afternoon hours....

Do you guys think i should jump in on this for a new slim ps3?

I am not very tech savvy i just read the serial number on the box as I saw people mentioning it for the newer models....... Will it be a good switch for me ?[/QUOTE]

I think most people that are taking advantage of this deal (myself included) are trading in 2+ year old ps3's that are out of warranty and are possibly on their last legs. I would say if you are concerned, have the credit and your ps3 is out of warranty, it's worth the switch. My 40GB has only had one hiccup in the two years I owned it but, my warranty just ran out and I noticed it was getting very hot when I was simply on the XMB. Rather than be concerned with how long it would last, I decided to upgrade to the slim. Think about this, Sony charges 150 dollars plus tax to fix non-BC systems and I only paid 120.24 in GS credit. Which would you choose?

Pros:

-Larger hard drive
-More energy efficient
-Dual Shock 3 (instead of a six axis that was on it's last legs)
-small frame and lighter
-one year warranty

Cons:

-100 or more after trade in of ps3 (depends on if the state you live in charges tax on gift card purchases).
-No more piano black finish (pro or con depended how you see it)

if you bought a Launch Ps3 for $500 and $600 how is it a "DEAL" to sell it back for $200 credit?????????????

What do I have to do on my PS3 before I trade it in? Do I only have to deactivate the system or do you have to deactivate each game? Also will I be able to download my games on the new slim PS3 if I deactivate on my old one (even if the 5 downloads are all taken up counting my old PS3).

[quote name='DomLando']What do I have to do on my PS3 before I trade it in? Do I only have to deactivate the system or do you have to deactivate each game? Also will I be able to download my games on the new slim PS3 if I deactivate on my old one (even if the 5 downloads are all taken up counting my old PS3).[/QUOTE]

u should back up the system(if u want to keep anything) and then format your drive (do the full format, takes longer, but that is what gamestop recommends.) i just traded in my 60GB PS3 for $265(i'M IN NYC)

Just got back and was denied the 200 dollar trade which is why I personally hate Gamestop. He told me that there was no promotion and he could give me 130. I pulled the site up and he said I needed a code then maybe. I didn't want to cause a scene so I just said ok and left.

Anyone have an experience like this yet? I haven't traded anything in 3 years so maybe I didn't say the right thing to get the 200 deal.

[quote name='Treythalomew']Just got back and was denied the 200 dollar trade which is why I personally hate Gamestop. He told me that there was no promotion and he could give me 130. I pulled the site up and he said I needed a code then maybe. I didn't want to cause a scene so I just said ok and left.

Anyone have an experience like this yet? I haven't traded anything in 3 years so maybe I didn't say the right thing to get the 200 deal.[/QUOTE]

Sounds like you just met an ass at the counter. The deal:
http://www.gamestop.com/gs/specialty/tradeins/

is clearly still available. Btw, I hate GameStop too. I hate how they keep asking for pre-orders, hate how the employees I meet there have this superiority complex regarding games. Hate how even after I said No I'm not interested in preordering and don't see the point in it, still ask if I want to preorder x and x games. Oh, I also HATE how they can't do math. Seriously is GameStop training their employees to be that annoying on purpose?

Anyways, that said, this 200 trade in was a good deal that I couldn't pass up.

[quote name='kloomb2']if you bought a Launch Ps3 for $500 and $600 how is it a "DEAL" to sell it back for $200 credit?????????????[/QUOTE]

But if your ps3 is on its last legs, or you foresee it needing repairs from Sony, wouldn't you rather pony up 299.99 + tax - 200 GS credit to get a new one? 100 + taxes sounds better than 300 for a new one or 150 for sony repairs. I think someone below me also points out some pros/cons

[quote name='kloomb2']if you bought a Launch Ps3 for $500 and $600 how is it a "DEAL" to sell it back for $200 credit?????????????[/QUOTE]

Wow! Seriously?
Did you read the thread?

[quote name='Treythalomew']Just got back and was denied the 200 dollar trade which is why I personally hate Gamestop. He told me that there was no promotion and he could give me 130. I pulled the site up and he said I needed a code then maybe. I didn't want to cause a scene so I just said ok and left.

Anyone have an experience like this yet? I haven't traded anything in 3 years so maybe I didn't say the right thing to get the 200 deal.[/QUOTE]

The deal clearly says any PS3 system. I would talk to the manager at this store, and if he is no help, try the district manager. You shouldn't have to miss out on the deal because of a clueless employee.

[quote name='DrNo888']Wow! Seriously?
Did you read the thread?[/QUOTE]

baaaaaaah

I've seen your signature picture before. It's so distracting!!!!!!!

It doesn't matter what they cost at launch. It matters what the going rate is today. If a brand new slim is $300, how much do you really think people will pay for a 2-4 year old fat model? Gamestop will not be able to sell these for much more than $200 for very long.

I guess you don't understand the concept of something decreasing in value over time.

Hey, would you like to buy a first generation iPod? I'll give it to you for the same price I paid, not a penny more! It's pretty and white.

[quote name='tkim83']baaaaaaah

I've seen your signature picture before. It's so distracting!!!!!!![/QUOTE]

I've stared at that picture quite a bit and that's the first time I've ever looked at his user name.

[quote name='dino88']I've stared at that picture quite a bit and that's the first time I've ever looked at his user name.[/QUOTE]

he has a user name?

Samething happened to me yesterday. I just called another gamestop in the area and they had the promotion. I am still on the fence about doing it. My 40gb is loud after 20 minutes, but just can't really bring myself to trade it in even though it has never given me any problems.

[quote name='DrNo888']Wow! Seriously?
Did you read the thread?[/QUOTE]

[quote name='tkim83']baaaaaaah

I've seen your signature picture before. It's so distracting!!!!!!![/QUOTE]

Ya that sig is good to watch at work.

[quote name='cobra-05']It doesn't matter what they cost at launch. It matters what the going rate is today. If a brand new slim is $300, how much do you really think people will pay for a 2-4 year old fat model? Gamestop will not be able to sell these for much more than $200 for very long.[/QUOTE]
The guy is a borderline jackass troll...

Got a new employee and he acted like it was an everyday thing for others to not know about current promotions, oh well. Trade in worked well and was surprised that I wasn't charged the full tax on the slim. I figured illinois tax would include store credit but only paid tax on the 20 after my 280 credit with games.

Hi, everyone. Thanks to this thread, I was able to trade in my out of warranty ps3 for a $200 credit. It was an easy and fast transaction. Thanks for the deal alert!

On a different note, do you guys think 2101A model (latest version) is worth $45 premium over the 2001A PS3? I was able to purchase PS3 through Amazon (Warehouse Deal thread) earlier this week but it turned out to be a 2001A model and not 2101A. I bought 2101A model and now I have 2001A model. I don't know which one to keep at this point and keeping both is not an option. Some thoughts on this would be great.

Thanks.

[quote name='Sequester']Hi, everyone. Thanks to this thread, I was able to trade in my out of warranty ps3 for a $200 credit. It was an easy and fast transaction. Thanks for the deal alert!

On a different note, do you guys think 2101A model (latest version) is worth $45 premium over the 2001A PS3? I was able to purchase PS3 through Amazon (Warehouse Deal thread) earlier this week but it turned out to be a 2001A model and not 2101A. I bought 2101A model and now I have 2001A model. I don't know which one to keep at this point and keeping both is not an option. Some thoughts on this would be great.

Thanks.[/QUOTE]

hmmm I can't really decide for you whether 45 dollars is worth the latest and greatest, but here's what I found through google:
http://boardsus.playstation.com/t5/...ECH-2100-PS3-Slims-use-40nm-GPUs/m-p/45566569

hope this helps!

[quote name='Treythalomew']Got a new employee and he acted like it was an everyday thing for others to not know about current promotions, oh well. Trade in worked well and was surprised that I wasn't charged the full tax on the slim. I figured illinois tax would include store credit but only paid tax on the 20 after my 280 credit with games.[/QUOTE]

Btw, I love Wind Waker :) (and Phantom Hourglass/Spirit Tracks)

[quote name='david12795']Does the 2001A and 210A cost the same? or different because its in a different box?[/QUOTE]
2001A was the first slim model, 2101A is the 2nd/current model which uses 15% less power than the first slim model. They're both the same price and look the same, its only slightly different internally to use less power (better to get the 2101 since it'll produce less heat)

Theres also new 2501A/B models coming out with 160GB/320GB drives and probably a black and white color option

Funny how Xbox 360 was white and then black and now glossy black. PS3 was glossy black and then black and now there will be white

Okay, my new PS3 Slim suck since the video blacks out once and while for 2 to 3 seconds while playing a game. I never had any problems like this on my PS3 phatty and I just researched around the net and I found out that it's common on PS3 Slims due to the video handshake on the HDMI. :mad:

[quote name='Iceboie']Okay, my new PS3 Slim suck since the video blacks out once and while for 2 to 3 seconds while playing a game. I never had any problems like this on my PS3 phatty and I just researched around the net and I found out that it's common on PS3 Slims due to the video handshake on the HDMI. :mad:[/QUOTE]

That's odd I have not had that problem at all. Did you try a different HDMI cable? If still having the same problem I would take it back to GS.

I'm about to head to the store to trade in my old noisy ps3 for a new quiet(er) one. I've transfered all of my saves to a usb stick. Do I want to delink my account from the system or anything along those lines before going over there?

[quote name='Machikunas']I'm about to head to the store to trade in my old noisy ps3 for a new quiet(er) one. I've transfered all of my saves to a usb stick. Do I want to delink my account from the system or anything along those lines before going over there?[/QUOTE]

Yeah, you will want to deactivate your PSN on the old PS3 before you trade it in.

[quote name='callmewoof']
Add Accidental Spill, Drop, and other damage Protection for only $16.00 This works out to $28 for a 3 year warranty that will fully cover a YLOD (yellow light of death), harddrive failure, laser failure, etc etc. Their warranties give you the full purchase price back if it breaks and they don't fix it - otherwise they fix it.[/QUOTE]

Does that mean if the cost for them to repair it is over $28 then they won't (or "can't") repair it?

[quote name='mook8515']Does that mean if the cost for them to repair it is over $28 then they won't (or "can't") repair it?[/QUOTE]
You don't understand the concept do you? Re-read what he said several times until it sinks in

[quote name='JaTaN']2001A was the first slim model, 2101A is the 2nd/current model which uses 15% less power than the first slim model. They're both the same price and look the same, its only slightly different internally to use less power (better to get the 2101 since it'll produce less heat)

Theres also new 2501A/B models coming out with 160GB/320GB drives and probably a black and white color option

Funny how Xbox 360 was white and then black and now glossy black. PS3 was glossy black and then black and now there will be white[/QUOTE]

thanks for the break down :D

dont think i will tradein my ps3. since i probably use it on average literally 3 hours or less a month.

I'm debating whether or not to trade in my 60gb bc PS3. I just picked up a 360 slim and now the PS3 looks so large next to it... Decisions, decisions...

I connected my 80 GB fat PS3 that i bought last year.... to a bigger HDTV (54 inch) and I am noticing it getting very hot after 1 hour of play........Till now i had it connected to a 24 inch monitor which didn't really made it hot or loud........

Will slim ps3 perform any better as compared to that on a bigger TV? Any of you guys that recently switched from 80 GB PS3 to ps3 slim did you notice a big difference?

I am still debating whether it's worth it for me to spend 130$ just after 1 year of a new PS3 - 80 GB purchase.

3 different stores by me wouldnt take my 60gb without the warranty sticker, I was on the fence about trading it anyway as its a good system.

PHEW traded in my second not working PS3 for $200 bought on Craigslist for $50.

Whats the trick? Load a Bluray DVD in the slot.

When person goes to test it. The Bluray comes out Ooops I was just watching that the other day.

They load the Bluray movie it plays boom thats it.

[quote name='MiamiStyle']PHEW traded in my second not working PS3 for $200 bought on Craigslist for $50.

When person goes to test it. The Bluray comes out Ooops I was just watching that the other day.

They load the Bluray movie it plays boom thats it.[/QUOTE]

Why do you keep discussing how you scammed Gamestop? You're a fucking thief, take your shit somewhere else.

[quote name='MiamiStyle']PHEW traded in my second not working PS3 for $200 bought on Craigslist for $50.

They load the Bluray movie it plays boom thats it.[/QUOTE]

if you want to make real money, go rob a bank.
remember to post some pictures here for bragging rights.
otherwise, you're a phony and no one here would believe you.

Traded my 60gb a few nights ago. all they did was connect it up turn it on thats it didnt bother loading a ps3 disc or anything lol

[quote name='wbc1228']if you want to make real money, go rob a bank.
remember to post some pictures here for bragging rights.
otherwise, you're a phony and no one here would believe you.[/QUOTE]
Don't forget that he got a good deal on a "rare" TV from Amazon...!

Just want to double confirm before I do anything to the system.

1) Copy all saves over to USB stick. At least those that are possible.
2) Deactivate system for both games and videos
3) Format the disk drive

Am I missing anything?

[quote name='DrNo888']Just want to double confirm before I do anything to the system.

1) Copy all saves over to USB stick. At least those that are possible.
2) Deactivate system for both games and videos
3) Format the disk drive

Am I missing anything?[/QUOTE]

Nope. Sounds like you got everything.

One thing though, some game save files are locked to the console (Street fighter 4 / heavy rain / demon souls come to mind). This means you won't be able to copy the saves over to the usb stick :x.

So I would go through all the game saves that are important to you to make sure they aren't locked. If you do have an important game save, do what I did. Buy the ps3, copy data over from the old ps3 using an ethernet cable. and then trade in the old ps3. Definitely wouldn't hurt to ask your GameStop to see if this is possible (although there really isnt' any reason why it shouldn't be possible.....)

bread's done
Back