Gamestop - Trade in promo towards PS3 slim

wolfhunt

CAGiversary!
Was in GS this morning and they had just put up a flyer for a trade-in value torwards a PS3 slim. From what I remember:

trade in a PS2 (slim or fat), 2 contrrollers, and 1 memory card, get $50 towards a PS3 slim.

trade in a PS3 (and there where probably additional stuff needed) and get $150 towards a PS3 slim.

I was told this will work with the current 20% towards new promo going on.

[quote name='wolfhunt']Was in GS this morning and they had just put up a flyer for a trade-in value torwards a PS3 slim. From what I remember:

trade in a PS2 (slim or fat), 2 contrrollers, and 1 memory card, get $50 towards a PS3 slim.

trade in a PS3 (and there where probably additional stuff needed) and get $150 towards a PS3 slim.

I was told this will work with the current 20% towards new promo going on.[/QUOTE]

Hm...if it actually does stack, it wouldnt be too bad of a deal, but at this moment I'm skeptical if it will be YMMV to if it stacks or not. I think I'll wait for someone else to try and and give some feedback if it actually worked.

[quote name='HuBu']not to TC, but the PS3 is probably a sliding scale since there are different versions.[/QUOTE]

I don't consider that a TC, but a valid point. This seems like a good deal, especially if it stacks, but I don't think I want to give up my 60 gig....

wouldn't really make sense to trade in a PS2 for a slim since it won't have backwards compatibility - unless you have an extra PS2 or don't think you'll ever play a PS2 game ever again (highly unlikely)

Can't see trading in a PS3 phat being a good deal if it has to be in working condition since you can get way more than $150 selling it. As for the PS2 that might be nice deal, I have a ps2 phat that has been sitting idle for a couple years. Anybody know if they will take a 3rd party controller as part of the 2 controller req?

not a deal...unless you want to get $100 lower then you would for taking 5 minutes to put it on craigslist.

i guess it would make sense for someone who has a bunch of ps2's lying around, but other then that doesn't seem to be that enticing.

Checked a few in VA Beach (Great Neck) & Chesapeake (Military & Regent U. areas). Some are only at 25% off and I found one that never sold video games (Regent U). I hope the prices drop soon!

[quote name='puh_fifer']i just called my gamestop and asked about trading in a recently acquired ps3 20gb and they told me $90.[/quote]

rofl

[quote name='puh_fifer']I just called my gamestop and asked about trading in a recently acquired ps3 20gb and they told me $90.[/QUOTE]

20 GB(Full Hardware BC with PS2 guts inside) - $90 (8/19/09)
40 GB(NO PS2 BC only 2 USB) - $90 (8/19/09)

60 GB(Full Hardware BC with PS2 guts inside)- $120 (8/19/09)
80 GB(NO PS2 BC only 2 USB) - $100 (8/19/09)
80 GB(Most Software BC w/ 4 USB) - $120 (8/19/09)
160 GB(NO PS2 BC) - $120 (8/19/09)

I called and got the TiV's last week for them and posted them in the GS trade in thread.

[quote name='perdition(troy']not a deal...unless you want to get $100 lower then you would for taking 5 minutes to put it on craigslist.

i guess it would make sense for someone who has a bunch of ps2's lying around, but other then that doesn't seem to be that enticing.[/QUOTE]
Exactly.

Used fatty PS2s cost $60, while used slim PS2s cost $70. Meanwhile, that extra controller you trade in gets them $15 if it's an official one, and the memory card will get 'em $10 to $20, depending on whether you gave them an official one or a 3rd party one.

Suddenly, you end up looking like a sucker for trading in a PS2 for $50 with an extra controller and memory card, while they get around $95 for the accessories and a fatty PS2 or around $105 for the slim PS2 and accessories.

I was expecting to see a GS trade in promo, but I didn't expect it to be so underwhelming. I guess I'll hold onto my PS3 80GB for now.

[quote name='Tsukento']Exactly.

Used fatty PS2s cost $60, while used slim PS2s cost $70. Meanwhile, that extra controller you trade in gets them $15 if it's an official one, and the memory card will get 'em $10 to $20, depending on whether you gave them an official one or a 3rd party one.

Suddenly, you end up looking like a sucker for trading in a PS2 for $50 with an extra controller and memory card, while they get around $95 for the accessories and a fatty PS2 or around $105 for the slim PS2 and accessories.[/QUOTE]

Hmmm...the way I read the deal, you get $50 for trading in your PS2 towards the purchase of a PS3 Slim PLUS whatever the PS2 would have traded in for normally.

Someone correct me if i'm mistaken.

[quote name='tattoojeep']Can I buy 5 PS2's online at Craigslist for like 25 each and get a new PS3 for $125. Hmm... interesting.[/QUOTE]

best idea ever wow man you are the shizznit

Can I trade in more then one PS2 for the offer? I already have one at home and two people on craigslist are already willing to sell me theirs for 25 each. another one for 20. Does anyone know this answer?

[quote name='todrigo']Can't see trading in a PS3 phat being a good deal if it has to be in working condition since you can get way more than $150 selling it. As for the PS2 that might be nice deal, I have a ps2 phat that has been sitting idle for a couple years. Anybody know if they will take a 3rd party controller as part of the 2 controller req?[/QUOTE]

Not saying your wrong, so dont take this the wrong way. Where would you get "way more" than $150 selling your PS3? Maybe the 60 gb is worth more, but when I check ebay for 80gb software BC PS3 (because I have one), they seem to be selling for around $200. Considering ebay and paypal (safest way to sell) take a cut, I dont consider less than $50 that much more considering the hassle that can be involved. I use ebay, so it isnt too bad a hassle, but some feel it can be.

you can only trade in one of any type of system. But you could trade a slim and a fat. Has to be a Dual Shock controller (stated on flyer). Memory card pictured is a Sony brand, but the flyer doesn't explicitly state so.

The 150$ TIV for the fat PS3 is for any fat PS3. Not on top of the regular trade, in place of.

[quote name='Tsukento']Exactly.

Suddenly, you end up looking like a sucker for trading in a PS2 for $50 with an extra controller and memory card, while they get around $95 for the accessories and a fatty PS2 or around $105 for the slim PS2 and accessories.[/QUOTE]

Has anyone had success trying to sell a PS2 fat for $50? Gamestop may turn around and resell it for a 100% markup, but what exactly is the market like for used PS2 fats?

Last edited by a moderator:
[quote name='game addict']I don't consider that a TC, but a valid point. This seems like a good deal, especially if it stacks, but I don't think I want to give up my 60 gig....[/QUOTE]
Same, when I could sell it on ebay for 400$

[quote name='tattoojeep']If you get a ps3 traded in then Gamestop will turn it over for 250 so they are making 100 on that.[/QUOTE]

So what, plus if you trade in a 20GB PS3 I'm not sure that you would be losing out that much over selling it on craigslist.

I'm just responding to the post that said Gamestop was getting $95 out of you for a PS2 fat, official dual shock controller and official memory card.

[quote name='Rollett']They are selling PS2 Fats for 50$ .... so i dont get where the 100% mark up is coming from. Memory card 12.99[/QUOTE]

I'm just responding to the post that said Gamestop was getting $95 out of you for a PS2 fat, Sony dual shock controller and Sony memory card.

I wish I could trade in my 80gb that died last year (bought used, no receipt so no free fix even though it was within warranty). Of course they'll test the system out. It works fine but when you put in a game...well, it won't boot up. Borked drive.

[quote name='Denbo32']So what, plus if you trade in a 20GB PS3 I'm not sure that you would be losing out that much over selling it on craigslist.[/QUOTE]
The 20GB and 60GB are hard to come across and at a cheap price for a reason. Especially with them having full backwards compatibility.

:whistle2:k

Heck, I might craigslist my 60 gig and use the cash to go buy a new slim. I'm not even using the BC anymore, and I could probably get enough to slim.

not me. i wouldnt mind to do an even swap though for my ps3. i dont use the bc much and wouldnt mind having wifi.

Theres no way I'd trade my 160g in for this deal. In fact I wouldn't trade in any other model either because this trade in sucks you can't apply this to get an extra 20% for a new product thats for trading in two games only not systems read the fine print. And I almost for certain bet you won't even get an extra $20 for trading in a current gen system because its listed as can not be combined with any other offer.

[quote name='game addict']I don't consider that a TC, but a valid point. This seems like a good deal, especially if it stacks, but I don't think I want to give up my 60 gig....[/QUOTE]

Agreed, I would not part with my mint condition launch 60GB PS3 Phat. :cool:

The ONLY reason I would have even considered this is if the new slim had PS2 BC. Then I may have traded in both my PS2 and 40 GB PS3. My PS2 was purchased used and it's drive is a bit flaky but still works most of the time. Still pissed at Sony for taking out BC to being with (before I could afford my PS3). Oh well.

[quote name='plasticbathmonki']:whistle2:k

Heck, I might craigslist my 60 gig and use the cash to go buy a new slim. I'm not even using the BC anymore, and I could probably get enough to slim.[/QUOTE]

Why? You do realize GS's gonna go right behind you and sell it for $250 or more. right? And you do realize that your going to lose more then just the BC if you do this, right?

The logic of trading in a 60 gig PS3, a unit that along with the 20 gig will likely be the units with the highest resell price for years to come boggles my mind. What are people thinking?

I have a 80 gig with BC and I can't find one reason to even consider this deal. The hassle of just moving my saves, personal info, and paying another $150 just blows me away.

[quote name='sgaldis']Will they just give me an even swap: 1 Slim for 6 PS2's? Because I've got 'em sitting in my closet![/QUOTE]

Doubtful. Ten to one they will cut you off after two.

[quote name='newlu']80 GB(Most Software BC w/ 4 USB) - $120 (8/19/09) and plus $150 credit..now that's interesting...[/QUOTE]

change that plus to instead

Why is everyone always so pissed when GS has a deal that isn't amazing? They're a business and there to make money so get over it. I'm sure there are a ton of 15 year old kids that dont go on cag that will jump on this thing.

bread's done
Back